link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    17 hours ago

No. Republicans loved that Vance pushed back here.

This is not the win yall think it is.

Walz did fine. Not as good as JD Vance but I at least wasn’t expecting Walz to do as well as JD Vance. Yall got the election if you keep the topic on Trump. Don’t get distracted here, especially when its an L or at best, stalemate on your image.

• finitebanjo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

To be completely fair, I think Vance lying through his teeth lost less red followers than Walz saying expanding Israel’s influence was a necessity lost blue followers.

I’m still never going to vote for another Republican, but that was an absolutely horrible way to start the debate.

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 hours ago

Y’all might be brainwashed… Or perhaps you have a brain worm? That’s actually an official, well-documented thing omongst Trump endorsers these days.

• 5oap10116@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        14 hours ago

Unfortunately it’s not about who was the most honest or had the best ideas. It’s about who was more “convincing” to a “blank slate”. When one person has zero problem saying anything to support their point even if its complete bullshit, it’s easy to be more convincing. I still think debates should happen but it’s sad that the Republicans “win at all costs” mentality elevates quick talkers who will lie to your face and make up disingenuous arguments without a care in the world. Something something about a pig in the mud and wrestling it…

Sorry about all the air quotes but it’s hard to talk about this stuff without them.

• dragontamer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        17 hours ago

Convince people. The quick polls are already in.

Walz is fine though. I don’t remember any mistake honestly. But the numbers are in already. We can say solidly that JD Vance did better.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 hours ago

Are you really denying the poll which has now been replicated on CNN and CBS instant polls?

JD Vance won the debate in every reputable flash poll I’ve read this morning. For fucks sake you dumbass, open your eyes and recognize the political challenge before us.

You’d rather muse on irrelevant technicalities than see the actual polls from the electorate. Small polls are in fact statistically sound btw if handled correctly, and the methodology of focusing on undecided voters is the key here. The election is close and we need every vote we can get to stop Trump, and you are blinding yourself to the truth of the situation.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 hours ago

You didn’t even read the article.

A flash poll conducted by CNN and SSRS after the debate among 574 registered voters who watched the showdown found that 51 percent of respondents said that Vance came out on top, compared to 49 percent who said the same of Walz. The margin of error was +/- 5.3 points.

A CBS News flash poll performed in conjunction with YouGov also showed Vance winning by a slim margin, with 42 percent of 1,630 respondents saying they thought the Ohio senator won the debate, to Walz’s 41 percent. The margin of error was +/- 2.7 points. Seventeen percent of respondents said the debate was a draw.

What you, and your system of copera is doing, is muddying the waters and ignoring JD Vance performance.

Trump dies in a few years, he’s a 78-year-old sickly man. JD Vance is the guy we will likely have to deal with the rest of our lives politically speaking. He’s young and clearly taking charge of the ideology. This is a long term problem (even if Trump is the bigger problem).

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          17 hours ago

22 people is hardly a survey for a national election, and is a total nonanswer. I’m asking you what you think Vance did better.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            17 hours ago

Image, body language. Looking at the camera with the “Marine Stare” to show off with body language his disdain for a particular topic or response from Walz (while Walz’s body language was not nearly as effective at showing JD Vance’s weird shit).

If you’re not aware of what “Republicans see as weird”, well… guess what?? JD Vance is, and he’s able to rally people with just a glance. It was clearly effective. Though perhaps in a “deeper” political look / visual communication cue rather than actual talking.

JD Vance is the complete package. Walz is well spoken but not quite as emoted and not as good of a reaction to JD Vance.

Don’t get me wrong, JD Vance is fucking nuts. But if you’re not seeing JD Vance’s good performance here, you’re at risk at underestimating the scope of the problem here.

EDIT: Like… base things. The things people care about. Like, “Who looked more like a soldier” (especially on the meta-topic of JD Vance service record vs Tim Walz’s service record), JD Vance looked more like a soldier. Base things that appeal to the ID and not logic. JD Vance is spot on on these issues.

I don’t think it matters because Donald Trump is the actual topic of discussion. But JD Vance’s performance is better than you’d think within a Republican mindset.

Its fine because Walz didn’t need to win this debate. Walz just needed to punt and he’s accomplished that. JD Vance isn’t going to turn all of Trump’s ills away with one good debate performance either (especially since Walz wasn’t crushed or defeated).

Walz needed to introduce his personality to the country. And Walz did that. Good. Take the W for what it is, but don’t overplay your hand here. This isn’t like the Harris v Trump debate where Harris crushed Trump. This is actually slight win to JD Vance IMO but Walz is good enough to not damage Harris’s campaign kinda debate.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              11 hours ago

Image, body language. Looking at the camera with the “Marine Stare” to show off with body language his disdain for a particular topic or response from Walz

JD Vance is, and he’s able to rally people with just a glance. It was clearly effective. Though perhaps in a “deeper” political look / visual communication cue rather than actual talking.

JD Vance is the complete package

That’s so damn horny 😄

Are you a couch?

• TimLovesTech (AuDHD)(he/him)@badatbeing.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              16 hours ago

JD looked and talked like an alien making his first contact with humans. He lacks any charisma, and you can tell he doesn’t actually believe anything he says. And because of that, the moderators asked many times about his stance on almost everything being 180 degrees from when he started the Trump audition.

Also I don’t think Republican = MAGA cult anymore. I also feel 99% of these “undecided” voters at this point are going to vote Trump, and are just reaching for something that they can say is the reason other than racism.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                16 hours ago

and you can tell he doesn’t actually believe anything he says.

100% agree on this point.

But that’s also not JD Vance’s goal here. JD Vance’s goal is to sanewash Trump. And he accomplished that.

JD looked and talked like an alien making his first contact with humans

I kinda-sorta see where you’re coming from here.

Alas: this is the marine stare. A lot of marines I know do this. I think people in the know are in the know and see JD Vance’s mannerism here as charismatic.

• aStonedSanta@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  3 hours ago

Lefties not wanting to accept JD Vance isn’t existing in reality. He is existing in MAGA reality. Which is incoherent and separate from actuality.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 hours ago

Lefties pretending that MAGA goes away after the election are fucking dumb. It won’t go away on its own and we need to work political strategies to counter it.

• ChronosTriggerWarning@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 hours ago

Please, reconcile your fawning fascist fellating with the FACT that he’s the last popular VP candidate in American history. I’m sure it will be an entertaining, if somewhat nauseating read.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 hours ago

JD Vance is like +19 points in favorability today post-debate.

Recognize the threat and sit the fuck down. I’m on your side. But we all need to recognize what is or isn’t working in politics. JD Vance’s performance worked. That’s the face of our political opponents, and it’s a solid working strategy.

Don’t be blinded by short term Trump issues. JD Vance is the longer term threat now, even if Trump loses we have many decades of JD Vance ahead of us, especially with his performance last night.

• TimLovesTech (AuDHD)(he/him)@badatbeing.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 hours ago

Charismatic adjective

1. exercising a compelling charm which inspires devotion in others.

I wouldn’t consider staring off while trying to reword your same lie as being charismatic. There is a reason his favorability has been under water the whole time, it isn’t because he was a Marine. I have met Marines, and I have seen former Marines in office that can have a normal conversation, and actually appear to care. JD lacks the ability to converse, and has zero ability to relate with anyone, even MAGA folks.

• Pissman2020@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              17 hours ago

Because the point of an election is to determine who has the best body language. You heard it here first folks

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                15 hours ago

Trump looks like he’s about to fall forward at all times, and his blank, geriatric, demented stare is honestly a spectical at this point, paired with his constant word salad.

I guess that means Kamala wins, folks. Wrap it up, everyone. It’s over. Let’s go home and move on.

• Zexks@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                16 hours ago

You all don’t seem to understand how stupid people vote. Or what’s important to them or most importantly HOW FUCKING MANY OF THEM YHERE ARE.

• fartsparkles@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                17 hours ago

You jest but half a country are below average intelligence. It’s not outlandish to think that many individuals in that half aren’t really following what is being said or understand it. What they can follow is the visuals. How they look, how they stand, how they move; how they “read”. And a non-trivial number of above average people still judge books by their covers.

I think the point the person above was trying to make is that Vance won the area the majority of people can evaluate and the importance of visuals.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                17 hours ago

Harris’s body language was far superior to Trump’s. And is part of why she crushed him so completely.

EDIT: Body language is incredibly important to QAnon btw, because QAnon believes that JD Vance is not free to speak his mind. So these nods and looks JD Vance are doing are non-verbal acknowledgements that also plays to the whole “Q” and “Deep State” shit. Yadda-yadda.

I’m not sure if you’re recognizing the threat this body language actually is, or the role its playing in this debate. Tim Walz certainly looks completely ignorant to it all (or at least, doesn’t want to deal with it). This is JD Vance literally leaning into Q-shit and rallying it.

• Passerby6497@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 hours ago

Wow, and I thought your first post was full of maga copium, but damn, this one takes the cake.

Who the actual fuck gives a single wet shit what QTurds have to say?

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    6 hours ago

At least anybody who is seriously trying to figure out how to get Kamala and Walz across the finish line.

Q-shits and other groups like that are how we got Trump in the first place. We must defeat that ideology not because of a trump, but because QAnon will continue to influence our politics over the rest of our lives, long after the 78-year old orange man is dead.

Sitting around in a circle pretending Walz had a better night than he actually did is counterproductive. Walz did fine but we must be honest with ourselves here. JD Vance did very well.

At a bare minimum, we need to be honest about which parts of this debate we need to meme and spread around. This moment in this topic is a self-own and plays to Q-anon. So NOT meme this, it’s counterproductive.

Our opponents think the media is in cahoots with Harris / Walz, that Walz is scripted and Harris has an earpiece telling her the answers. To see the moderators of the debate challenge JD Vance like this is proof of the conspiracy. It’s not the shining moment you think it is politically speaking.

January 6th moment later in the debate? Meme that. Spread that one. You need to be strategic about the message if you want any hope of winning. This election is closer than it should be so we need to give it everything we got to reach across the finish line.

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              17 hours ago

I know you’re getting downvoted, but I appreciate this analysis. I have autism and don’t pick up on body language

• 474D@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                16 hours ago

JD Vance did full 100% politician stance the entire time so I don’t think there’s anything to take from it.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          15 hours ago

Ah yes, “the numbers”. Are those the same numbers that say Trump has the bigliest rallies? Are they the BEST NUMBERS OF ALL TIME?

Yeah, you might be an idiot if it belive any of that. That’s your right, though. It’s a free country, for now.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            15 hours ago

This is a fucking Washington Post screenshot.

Holy shit man. Pull your head out of your own ass. Walz did fine, its not a big deal. But JD Vance outperformed. If you don’t see it then you’re fucking blind and you’re ignoring even left-leaning papers like the WashPo.

• Red Army Dog Cooper@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 hours ago

Oh I see, dispite it being owned by a BILIONAIRE who is opposed to any fundimental change in the status quo, this one website says they are left leaning so no need to consider anything they are left… FFS use your damn brain

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    6 hours ago

Cope harder dumbass.

All the polls this morning are that JD Vance outperformed this thing.

Actually, don’t cope. Turn on your fucking brain and see the threat for what it is. Pull your head out of your ass, strategize and make Kamala and Walz win in this upcoming election.

Lies about Walz performance last night do NOT help the cause.

More Americans like what JD Vance pulled last night on TV than you realize. That is the scope of the threat here.

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  13 hours ago

How have you been on Lemmy for a year, and don’t yet know that we fucking hate MBFC?