• Smoogs@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 hours ago

Some were married. Gacy, the BTK, bundy.

And then you have cult leaders who are the opposite of lonely.

• NutWrench@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

“It’s the quiet ones you gotta watch”. You know that one, eh? Every time you see a story about a serial killer on T.V, what do they do? They bring on the neighbor. And the neighbor says “Well, he was always very quiet.” And someone in the room says “It’s the quiet ones you gotta watch." This sounds to me like a very dangerous assumption. I will bet you anything that while you’re watching a quiet one, a noisy one will farking kill you!

Suppose you’re in a bar and one guy is reading a book, not bothering anybody and another guy is standing at the bar with a machete banging it on the counter and saying “I’LL KILL THE NEXT MOTHERFARKER WHO COMES IN HERE!” ……who you gonna watch? You’re goddamn right" - George Carlin

• babybus@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 hours ago

I feel this is more truthful about Hollywood movies. When you watch a documentary, it’s often: “he was a family guy”, “nobody thought he could do this”, “he was so charming”, etc.

• peto (he/him)@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 hours ago

The thing about serial killing is that it requires you to leave the house and meet new people, and frankly, that sounds like a lot of hassle I don’t need.

• manucode@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 hours ago

There are a lot more people meeting this description who aren’t serial killers than there are serial killers. So it must be some else that all the serial killers have in common that doesn’t apply to the rest.

What could this be?

They all had a documentary made about them. Therefore, to avoid becoming a serial killer if above description fits you, you should prevent people from making documentaries about you.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

But more seriously, a lot of them have a history of animal cruelty when they were kids so if you do then… Go see a psychologist?

• MissJinx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 hours ago

Most of them had also history of some head injury either in infancy or young life. They probably already had APD (and most also abuse) but a lot of traumatized and even APD people are not serial killers. The head injury may also have been a factor

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

Have friends, the rest fits. Should I be looking into a new career? I feel like serial killing has potential to be very fulfilling work!

• Fuck spez@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 hours ago

Nor should you. You’ll be harder to catch if you target random victims and don’t hunt inside your own ethnic group.

• Death_Equity@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            15 hours ago

Not that I want to help serial killers, but…

Statistically the best victims are black because their murders have the lowest solve rates(59% black vs 87% for whites). Chicago is even worse with 21.7% solve percentage in black neighborhoods compared to 45.6% in white neighborhoods.

So targeting black people in black neighborhoods in Chicago gives you better odds, which can be further increased if you target homeless people or sex workers and kill through means that can be dismissed as accidental like overdose.

• Smoogs@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 hours ago

Oh I dunno, Be different. Why doesn’t someone go after white straight men for a change? Just ya know, change it up a notch. Give everyone else a break from the fundamental fear for just existing for once. I’d like to see average straight white guy complain about how he has to regularly hold the keys between each finger just to get to his car at night. Or cross the street to avoid people. Or can’t jog at night. Or won’t give out his phone number at the drop of a hat.

(Jk of course just in case fragiles out there can’t take the joke based on reality that many others live in)