• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          6 hours ago

That Democrats would be considered right-of-center in other countries. They’re clearly a center-left party.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 hours ago

Seeking social justice through redistributive social and economic policies of government.

• eldavi@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                2 hours ago

the extent and effort at which they create and enforce those policies is the measure of left or right in this country; not the existence of those policies because both republican and democrats say that they want those things; but when you investigate beyond the lip service you find that conservatives will give token-at-best support for the policies while leftists will support it with full vigor.

the democrats very tepid support for these things is what makes them center-right; because the party that calls itself conservative takes pride in doing this, while most democrats do it too and hope you don’t notice.

democrats only push for re-distributive policies (if at all) once it becomes popular and they’re forced to respond; not because democrats are progressive. see biden’s decades long anti-gay crusade that suddenly stopped once he needed the votes and his expansion upon trumps draconian anti-immigration policies; or clinton’s establishment of anti-gay service and anti-gay marriage; and then see kamala backtrack on liberal positions like pre-k; community college, childcare, medicare expansion, etc. only the democrats very weakly seek social or economic policies of government and; for the most part; behave like republicans when it’s time to put their money where their mouth is; that’s why they’re center-right

it sounds like you’re judging these books by their cover without reading any of the material. we’re on social media so it’s par for the course; but your takes are going to be divorced from reality if you don’t bother to go further than shallow understanding.

• Cowbee [he/him]@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 hours ago

Center-left? In what way? They are genocidal imperialists, they aren’t anticapitalist in any form.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 hours ago

They want to use the power of government to reduce the harms of capitalism, via minimum wages, social safety nets, child tax credit, subsidizing more environmentally friendly energy production and electric cars.

No they are not as far left as you and the people you talk to online, I didn’t say that. You are allowed to want different policies. You’re just incorrect to call them right wing.

• Knock_Knock_Lemmy_In@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 hours ago

minimum wages, social safety nets, child tax credit, subsidizing more environmentally friendly energy production and electric cars.

Republicans have also votes for bills supporting all of the above.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  4 hours ago

You have to realize that Republicans are not the party pushing for these things. What you are saying does not retort anything I said.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 hours ago

They want to use the power of government to reduce the harms of capitalism, via minimum wages, social safety nets, child tax credit, subsidizing more environmentally friendly energy production and electric cars.

1. No they don’t, lol

2. That isn’t “center-left,” that’s center-right.

No they are not as far left as you and the people you talk to online, I didn’t say that. You are allowed to want different policies. You’re just incorrect to call them right wing.

Leftism starts at anti-Capitalism.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  5 hours ago

Ok I don’t expect you to see it but this is exactly why I said it’s a lie that online lefties tell themselves. Globally, in real life politics, yes you absolutely can be center-left without demanding the overthrow of Capitalism.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        7 hours ago

No, this is literally where the U.S. falls on a global political spectrum. The Democrats would be considered center-right in most other nations. Even by their own historical standards, they’re center right; if you took a Democrat from 1975 and transported them to 1995, they’d ask you why the party had adopted the Republicans’ fiscal policies.

• DaTingGoBrrr@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

I don’t understand how the Democrats in USA can be considered left-wing. Sure, they are more left than the Republicans, but in my eyes they certainly not left-wing.

• TankovayaDiviziya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 hours ago

In the American sensibilities, the Democrats are left wing.

I know we’ve shat on Americans too many times that Democrats are not leftists and Republicans are far-right, but there is a place and time for doing so and I learned to cut Americans some slack. Americans simply have different Overton window because of different history and culture (I have explained before as to why, but I cannot be bothered to write another wall of text about it). Other countries don’t even follow a left and right political dichotomy. Many places, especially in developing countries, vote on personalities than policies. But few of us crap on people from developing countries for not following policy-based discourse, or not following the European-originated sensibilities of “left or right” politics.

• UltraGiGaGigantic@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 minutes ago

We don’t currently have our own special political spectrum.

We can make a new one for you so you can feel better about this whole situation. Let’s call it the “the imperial political spectrum”. I’d be happy with that solution. Then you can say you’re left on the imperial political spectrum and it’s all good.

• CoggyMcFee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 hours ago

I don’t know what country you are from or how your voting system works. But I will guess that your country has many parties and after the election, a governing coalition is formed.

In the US voting system, similar parties get punished by stealing votes from each other. So, in effect, we have to form our coalitions before the election and choose the single candidate that will stand for all of us. So, you can think of the Democratic Party as the Democratic Coalition, made up of some truly left-wing factions, as well as some not very left-wing or even centrist factions, and so our candidate will be much more watered down than what you’d see in a different system.

• sudo@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        47 minutes ago

Calling the democratic party a “coalition” is extremely generous. It’s historically been a corrupt patronage network since Van Buren and any attempt to make it represent the will of its voters is thwarted internally. Its history is a graveyard of progressive movements.

• DaTingGoBrrr@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

I am from Sweden. You are correct that my country has many different parties that together form a governing coalition.

Thank you for making it a bit clearer to me! I appreciate it.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

You said it yourself, they are less far-right than Republicans, so Liberals get to pretend they are punks and rebels despite supporting the status quo.

• Clbull@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 hours ago

Because American politics is weird and partisan a f.

Anything even remotely left will get you labelled a Commie or tankie by the right, while anything remotely right will get you labelled a Nazi by the left.

• Smoogs@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 hours ago

while anything remotely right will get you labelled a Nazi by the left.

Yeah it’s crazy how attacking the White House just cuz you can’t deal with the results like an adult gets a group a bad rep. What an unfair world what with actions having consequences and all that.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 hours ago

To be fair, a Left wing revolution is necessary. The Jan 6ers weren’t Nazis for trying to do a coup, but because fascism is Capitalism in decay, and an alliance between the Petite Bourgeoisie and Bourgeoisie. Most Jan 6ers were small business owners and the like.

• Clbull@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 hours ago

Oh it’s been like that long before January 6th, and long before Trump even stepped foot in the Republican primaries eight years ago.

That wasn’t me defending Jan 6th either. Trump’s little Beer Hall Putsch was frankly inexcusable, and the fact that he’s likely not going to face any kind of criminal repercussions for it makes the US look weaker than the Weimar Republic.

• Fickle_Ferret@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 hours ago

The Left begins with anti-capitalism. If you aren’t against capitalism, you aren’t left.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

It sucks. Liberals will be blaming Arab Americans going to Jill Stein if Harris loses, rather than Harris and Biden, just you wait.

• Nougat@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 hours ago

Turns out, if you’re further left than either realistic candidate (because FPTP), it makes it really easy to figure out who you should vote for. “I wonder if I should vote for the person who’s not left enough for my liking, or the one is so far beyond that as to be the diametric opposite of left. Whatever shall I do?”

• lengau@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 hours ago

Yeah, the “you’re voting for genocide” argument is also ridiculous, as the choices essentially boil down to:

🔲 One genocide (with a potential of partial mitigation)
      🔲 2+ genocides (and the one being even worse)
      🔲 Don’t care (in green)
      🔲 Don’t care (in yellow)

etc.

Genocide is bad. That should not be a controversial statement. I will use my vote to choose the least genocide that it has the power to choose, and I will use my other energy to advocate for less (and hopefully zero) genocide.

You don’t have to like that fact. I certainly don’t like it. But this is exactly what harm reduction looks like.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

This is just a monstrous reframing of a bipartisan genocide. Voting dem or voting rep is a vote for genocide, full stop, because they support the same genocide to the same magnitude, materially. Pretending Dems are better because genocide makes some of their voterbase sad is wrong.

I will use my vote to choose the least genocide that it has the power to choose

Then vote Greens or PSL.

• lengau@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 hours ago

Then vote Greens or PSL.

Sorry, I’m not going to vote “don’t care” on genocide no matter how many faux leftists pretend it’s the morally superior option.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 hours ago

You’re going to have to explain this convoluted logic to your grandchildren when they ask you why you voted for genocide.

• lengau@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 hours ago

What I’m going to have to explain to them is why I voted “don’t care” in 2016. That’s a mistake I will forever have to live with. But if I can convince a few people not to make that same mistake, I will at least be able to reduce the harm I did.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 hours ago

It’s morally superior to vote for genocide but pretend your flavor of genocide isn’t the exact same as the other flavor of genocide.

• lengau@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              5 hours ago

Look, if you don’t care about LGBT folks, women who need abortions, asylum seekers, etc. you can pull that “don’t care” lever. But “I care about making a symbolic, but ultimately toothless, gesture about Palestine more than I care about the lives of thousands, possibly millions of others” is what voting third-party is telling the system right now. If that makes you feel morally superior, we’re at an impasse because I don’t know how to explain to someone that an action to save lives is more powerful than an unrealistic gesture about saving even more lives, but which will realistically increase the amount of death and suffering.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                5 hours ago

Is there a red line for you in the sand, or would you vote for Hitler if 101% Hitler was running? When do you abandon hope in the Democrats, if being genocidal Imperialists doing nothing to help marginalized groups, and are running to the right of Trump in 2016 with respect to immigration, doesn’t?

• lengau@midwest.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 hours ago

That’s a non-sequitur, because that’s not what’s happening by any means. But thanks for ceding the point that you’re okay feeling morally superior by doing something that’ll get more people killed.

• basmati@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 hours ago

Both candidates fall under the latter category. An AG that was a prosecutor with a history of perpetuating the war on drugs and arguing in court innocent men should stay imprisoned because prison labor is good for the economy, who was also vice president to one of the most right wing men ever elected?

That’s literally the state half of the fascist alignment of corporate and state power.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

Marx and Engels were called “authoritarian” so frequently by their contemporaries that Engels wrote On Authority. What’s considered “authoritarian” is a moving target, an arbitrary line in the sand just for people who succeed in revolution, or at least in throwing off western Imperialist powers.

If your argument is that Marxism isn’t Leftist then that’s hilarious

• random@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        12 hours ago

my argument isn’t that marx isn’t left (especially since I’ve read his later works), nor that auth-left isn’t left… just that I’m an anti authotitarian leftist

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          12 hours ago

Gotcha, you’re just anti-Marxist then. Can’t say I agree with that, but that’s less nonsensical than saying Marx isn’t left.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            12 hours ago

I don’t belive marx to be really auth, since he was striving for a stateless society, I just disagree with him on how we get there

so I’m not exactly an anti marxist, but neither a marxist

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 hours ago

What Marx calls the “State” and what Anarchists call the “State” are different concepts, ergo what Marx calls “Stateless” would still have hierarchy, and what Anarchists call “Stateless” would still have implementations of class oppression. Marxists and Anarchists do not want the “same thing.”

If we take your statement that your only major aggreement with Marx is a “Stateless” society, but you’re working off the Anarchist definition of the State, then you are necessarily anti-Marxist. I’d rather you say that openly than try to twist Marxism despite being an Anarchist, so I hope it’s just a misunderstanding on your part.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 hours ago

well, then I’m an “anti-marxist” I wouldn’t really like to put it that way tho, since I agree with him on a lot of things

also sry for twisting things, it’s been a long time since I read marx

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 hours ago

That’s fine, I would just focus more on your “pro-Anarchist” identity than your “anti-‘authoritarian’” side. You can be whatever you want to be, your political views are your own.

also sry for twisting things, it’s been a long time since I read marx

It wasn’t a moral judgement! Just wanted to clear up a clear misconception. I obviously recommend reading more Marx. What do you agree with about Marx?