• mindbleach@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

Wildly overpriced, except for the options owned by the devil. For fuck’s sake, “even with this Apple’s hilariously expensive flop” underlines how hard companies refuse to get it. To reach a wider audience - charge less. Reduce cost. Simplify and add lightness. the only company even trying is god-damned Facebook, and they’re still fumbling it.

You need low-latency 6DOF. Everything else is negotiable. Everything.

And for god’s sake, have an intermediate format. Ship a VR gizmo that only renders ten million floating dots… and guarantees it can show them at 200 Hz, with up-to-the-millisecond tracking. Disconnect that performance from computing power. And latency. Let an absolute potato, on the other side of the world, be capable of producing the magical dreamscape you’re standing in, without making you throw up.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

It needs to either become a generic commodity like a TV, or it will die.

We can’t have this fragmented system. Imagine if you needed a Sony TV for PS, one for Xbox, one for PC, a standalone one that could run it’s own exclusive content…

It’s good tech, and the immersion is unparalleled, but greedy company are going to burn it to the ground it so they can rule the ashes.

It’s fucking madness that you can’t even use it to watch 3D movies on Netflix etc. There needs to be a generic box that accepts USB or HDMI input from all devices so you can at least use it for things other than gaming, even if it just puts it all in a big virtual screen.

• Flocklesscrow@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Yep. The Corporate demand for siloed ecosystems is self-defeating. There are other examples of the same paradigm with VHS v Beta, DVD Audio vs SACD, Dvd vs LaserDisc etc.

Frankly, I don’t really care if the tech dies- the companies that “support” it are too flimsy to be counted on as going-concerns, they’re just fighting their own downward spirals.

• Vespair@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

I blame Meta. My Oculus Rift CV1 was working great until some random software update and now for some reason it won’t read my sensors as being connected via USB3.0 cable despite them being so, instantly rendering my expensive VR device a giant paper weight.

I’m still salty about Oculus starting out crowdfunded then selling to Facebook. What a fucking betrayal.

• Baphomet_The_Blasphemer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

I loved my original oculus. I thought it was very well built. I loved it right up until having a Facebook account became mandatory… now I love my value index.

• ClassifiedPancake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

Sony gave up on the VR2 before it was even released. No promotion, hard to even find the games in the store, no free VR games in PS+, barely any investment in developers and exclusives. I don’t understand why anyone would expect a better outcome.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

I imagine when you treat VIRTUAL REALITY BEING REAL NOW as a fad, develop like two or three games for it, then never do anything with it again… yeah I imagine the market would decline…

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

Everyone complaining about intense sweating… I have to wonder if you guys are on the bigger side. Playing very active games on the Vive never made me sweat like you guys are saying.

• taladar@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

Maybe you are just a naturally less sweaty person, that can vary a lot by genetics too, not to mention temperature and humidity around you.

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

It’s still pretty much gate kept to rich people. The affordable ones will make you sick if you’re not in the small lucky group that is unaffected. I’ve wanted to get into VR for years but never have the excess money to do it. I have noticed an uptick in YouTubers playing VR lately. I think this article and the developers polled are missing a lot of reality.

• Chaosppe@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

As other have said, it’s extremely expensive to pc/vr and for those that can afford it, there isn’t enough content. For video browsing I find that I have a better monitor than the quest 3. (led vs qoled) so why would I bother? Plus I have a fiancé around me when I’m at home so it makes no sense to close myself off. I enjoy the product and maybe if it had better integration for multiple people, I might use it more often. The fix for the sweating is to use a bobovr s3 pro strap and to remove the headface. It also comes with a fan so it’s honestly very comfortable. But that’s another £100.

I wish it could take off more, but I know it’s still just a gimmick.

• yamanii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

Antis have been killing VR for years already, Asgard Wrath 2 came out in December.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 hours ago

I think that the biggest problem is the lack of investment and willingness to take on risk. Every company just seems to want a quick cash grab “killer app” but doesn’t want to sink in the years of development of practical things that aren’t as flashy but solve real-world problems. Because that’s hard and isn’t likely to make the line go up every quarter.

• interurbain1er@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 hours ago

It’s mostly the price. If you have 500 or even 1000 to invest to play games, first that puts you squarely in the top 1% worldwide but more importantly a VR headset is the worst choice in terms of breadth of games you can play. So the first choice will always be a PC or a console which leave the VR headset for the people who actually have 2k+ to spend for gaming and actually want one. A tiny tiny minority.

If you add on top of it that you still have a 50/50 chance of getting nausea each time you play and that it’s a pain in the ass (or an additional expense) if you wear glasses, and the space requirement. It’s not a surprise if the market is stalled.

As for useful implementation, my cousin is an orthopedic surgeon and they use VR headset and 3D x-ray scanner, 3d printers and a whole bunch of sci-fi stuff to prep for operation, but they are not using a meta quest2, we’re talking 50k headset and million dollar equipment. None of that does anything to the gaming market.

My though is that the tech need to get a couple of order of magnitude better and be usable as a day to day computer for work. When I can code in one 10 hours a day without fucking up my eyes, vomiting myself, sweating like a pig and getting neck strain it will have the possibility to take over the computer market, until then, it’s a gimmick.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        34 minutes ago

As for useful implementation, my cousin is an orthopedic surgeon and they use VR headset and 3D x-ray scanner, 3d printers and a whole bunch of sci-fi stuff to prep for operation, but they are not using a meta quest2, we’re talking 50k headset and million dollar equipment. None of that does anything to the gaming market.

That’s really awesome and I love seeing that the tech is actually seeing good uses.

Yeah. A lot of what you’re saying parallels my thoughts. The PC and console gaming market didn’t exist until there were more practical, non-specialty uses for computing and, importantly, affordability. To me, it seems that the manufacturers are trying to skip that and just try to get to the lucrative software part, while also skipping the part where you pay people fair wages to develop (the games industry is super exploitative of devs) or, like The Company Formerly-known as Facebook, use VR devices as another tool to harvest personal information for profit (head tracking data can be used to identify people, similar to gait analysis), rather than having interest in actually developing VR long-term.

Much as I’m not a fan of Apple or the departed sociopath that headed it, a similar company to its early years is probably what’s needed; people willing to actually take on some risk for the long-haul to develop the hardware and base software to make a practical “personal computer” of VR.

When I can code in one 10 hours a day without fucking up my eyes, vomiting myself, sweating like a pig and getting neck strain it will have the possibility to take over the computer market, until then, it’s a gimmick.

Absolutely agreed. Though, I’d note that there is tech available for this use case. I’ve been using Xreal Airs for several years now as a full monitor replacement (Viture is more FOSS friendly at this time). Bird bath optics are superior for productivity uses, compared to waveguides and lensed optics used in VR. In order to have readable text that doesn’t strain the eyes, higher pixels-per-degree are needed, not higher FOV.

The isolation of VR is also a negative in many cases as interacting and being aware of the real world is frequently necessary in productivity uses (both for interacting with people and mitigating eye strain). Apple was ALMOST there with their Vision Pro but tried to be clever, rather than practical. They should not have bothered with the camera and just let the real world in, unfiltered.

• taladar@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

Even your hypothetical perfect headset would be useless in so many situations where you can game today, can’t use it in public, can’t use it while watching children, can’t use it while talking to other adults in your household,…

Also, I think the idea that you even need that first person perspective for immersion is deeply flawed, lots of games make you feel immersed without that. Not to mention that it severely limits possible UI elements if you don’t want to break the immersion again.

• interurbain1er@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

Oh I agree. Once you already have a PC or a console the added experience of a VR headset isn’t a great value proposition for the price.

• UrPartnerInCrime@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

Anybody that says vr is a gimmick haven’t tried a vr racing rig. Not only the fun factor but I’m definitely a better driver now for it.

• CancerMancer@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Flight in VR is truly something else. Not even a simpit can provide that level of immersion. You think jumping into a white dwarf system is spooky in Elite Dangerous? Try doing it with a headset on. When your cockpit is smoking, alarms are blaring, and the panic sets in, you will finally understand.

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    21 hours ago

I imagine the insane price to entry is a big thing.

I had some disposable cash so I went with the index, I love it don’t get me wrong but, 1k is super fucking steep for an enjoyable system, and that’s ontop of the requirement they do it right when they make a game, many of them take vr as a minority and you can tell when a game puts it on the side burner

• chicken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

I have an Index also, one thing I find frustrating is that because the Quest has such a dominant marketshare and packages games differently, some smaller VR games and experiences I see seem to be only available as an apk file for Quest sideloading and there is no straightforward way for me to play them.

The main reason I don’t use it more though is I never got past the physical discomfort, I still feel nausea playing most games for more than a few minutes, and headaches from the pressure on my scalp/face if going longer than that, ie. trying to watch a movie with the headset. So that basically means I’m not going to just spend a lot of time passively chilling out in VR, it has to be some specific thing I want to do that feels worth it to push through the discomfort involved and can be gotten through relatively quickly. Mostly that ends up being just Beat Saber.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 hours ago

Also a lot of people are lazy. VR requires you to move more than playing flat games. Also it requires a decent PC which is an added cost. As you said - when it works (Payday 2, Alyx) there is nothing better. When it doesn’t, you can end up with physical symptoms.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 hours ago

I’ve enjoyed my VR but rarely. When I game, I’m usually doing it to relax. Getting everything up and running, clearing space, etc so I can wear a device that makes my face sweat while I thrash about isn’t relaxing.

VR is the gaming equivalent of going to a fancy restaurant with a formal dress code. It’s nice once in a while, but most of the time I’d rather just make a sandwich and stay in.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

Yup, $1k for a decent headset, $1k for a decent GPU, and you also need space to play. It’s a pretty big barrier to entry before you even get into the limited selection of games.

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 hours ago

Even though Facebook is a terrible inhumane corporation, they have the best product because it is lightweight, can be used without any base station and can be used without a pc-link.

The fact that a VR set requires at minimum a 5x5 feets space with a computer within the vicinity is definitely hurting the VR market.

So I just hope that we get something akin to the Quest but without the evil corporation bit.

When I played Elite Dangerous with a VR headset, man was it magical. But I won’t dedicate a small room and a PC just for that experience.

• BluesF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 hours ago

You don’t need anything like that much for a Quest 2/3. Quest 2 is obviously a bit outdated, but I still have fun with mine.

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 hours ago

I couldn’t use the quest, it seemed to be on par with the psvr in terms of frames which gave me massive motion sickness

• BluesF@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 hours ago

Fair enough. Personally I find the motion sickness mostly down to the game rather than headset, I didn’t know that the frame rate had an effect!

• Nioxic@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

people choose consoles over pcs for comfort

people choose pc for its capabilities (and for some, a different kind of comfort)

people choose vr for the experience only - and it can get old quite quickly because the market is too small - not enough ‘content’