• octopus_ink@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 hours ago

We buy a lot of goldfish in this house. More than most people reading this, I can just about guarantee it.

Please allow me to remind everyone that even Goldfish has gone the shrinkflation route. Maybe if their sales are dipping it’s because of their anti-consumer practices.

Not only did the price we paid go up in recent years, but also they changed the size of the large cartons from 30 oz to 27.3 oz.

• ettyblatant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

I’m an elder millennial and I have had absolutely no problem buying goldfish into adulthood. With this change, i’ll inevitably be calling them Chilly SeeBas, so idk how much more adult they’re going for in my demographic

• cum@lemmy.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

If I saw the new and old bags next to each other, I probably wouldn’t even notice the difference before reading this headline lol. It’s basically the same.

• Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

“Chilean Sea Bass? Ok, The Onion is losing their touch. Yes, it’s absurd, but it’s unrealistic. This wouldn’t happen in real life.”

Not the onion

…wait, what?

• TheOgreChef@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

It’s the same as when IHOP renamed themselves the International House of Burgers to promote their stupid burger menu then immediately changed back.

I’d love to know how much stunts like this actually convince anyone to consciously or unconsciously purchase more of whatever the marketing team is being paid to promote (I’m guessing nowhere near enough to cover their salaries and the stunt itself).

• nomous@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

How much did the stunt really cost though? A couple articles and swapping out some labels can’t be that much.

• TheOgreChef@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 hours ago

Being honest, probably not much, but the amount isn’t zero. I guess I’m just not seeing how creating any kind of brand confusion helps an established brand like goldfish when people will just forget about this kind of thing almost immediately.

Shorter version, you’re right that it isn’t a large expenditure, but god, it’s so dumb.

• AlecSadler@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

As a millennial, I’m going to just not buy goldfish crackers for awhile because this is dumb.

But also I haven’t been buying them because I’m on a diet and I could eat an entire gallon container in one sitting if left to my own devices.

• Adderbox76@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

How many millions did they pay to some yuppie marketing firm to come up with this jack-assery.

• adarza@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

just a marketing stunt. but watch, when ‘goldfish’ come back into the stores afterwords… they’re in smaller packages.

• AEsheron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

According to another comment, the sea bass version will only be for sale online. There will be no coming back to stores, normal goldfish won’t be leaving stores at all.