• OpenSourceDeezNuts@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I just bought one last week and holy shit you aren’t joking. Our Canon was malfunctioning for the last 2 years, so I finally bought a refurbed B&W Brother Laser. I’ve never had a printer just work like this. I didn’t even have to connect to it. My browser just automatically detected it, even on Linux.

• crab@monero.town
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Printer support on Linux is honestly better than Windows.

• nik282000@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I have one of their all-in-one colour toner machines for my GF’s business, it’s awesome. Scanning to an SFTP share means she can just feet a stack of paper into it and get a PDF in her Documents/Scans directory.

AND fun fact, there are no lasers in “laser printers” they all use 1D LED arrays to transfer the image data to the drum. Only the early toner based printers used a real laser and they were operating almost like a CRT, scanning a raster onto the drum.

• OpenSourceDeezNuts@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Probably misspoke saying the browser is what detected it, but the first time I went to print anything was from Firefox and the printer was already there.

• staindundies@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My wife would always call it World War 3 whenever I would go to print something with my inkjet. Finally bought a Brother colour laser a couple years ago. While my distrust of printers is still deep seeded, this printer and I are approaching something of a friendship.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I was just going to comment the same. My Brother laser printer has simply done its job for the last 13 years without issue.

• CobraChicken@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My HL2270DW has been working flawlessly for nearly 10 years now.

Connects to any PC/mac on my home network. Always prints correctly. Toners are dirt cheap

Is OP using a 1998 cannon printer or something?

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I just bought a new printer. After reading lots of reviews, it came down to Brother color laser and Canon color laser. Consensus seemed to be Canon was equally reliable with slightly better color quality.

• YurkshireLad@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

In all fairness, my cheap Brother laser printer hasn’t let me down at all. Unlike the HP inkjets of the past.

• AZERTY@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I bought mine (HL2270-DW) 12 years ago for college. Last week I plugged it in after it sat for several years and printed off some stuff for family with 0 problems. I think it’s only on its second toner as well.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

They last much longer in storage /without printing because toner is a powder, so it can’t dry out. The print head of an inkjet printer (part of the cartridge) will dry out if you don’t use it for a few weeks.

• Vishram1123@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Still the exact same printer my family has been using for the past 10 years after our old Inkjet kicked the bucket a measly 3 months after it was born. And it has seen some stuff, including being dropped at least twice, plastic film in the paper compartment, coffee-stained (for aged effect) paper, and even a x-acto knife blade that somehow ended up in there.

• fiah
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

my wife was having some problems finding the right W11 drivers for our Brother HL-2030 and dared to utter the thought of replacing it

I shut that down right quick

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Windows Update should find the right driver. Failing that, a generic Postscript printer driver should work fine. Windows should have one.

• spencerwi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Conversely, I have a recent-ish (<5yrs old) Brother inkjet printer that’s waiting to be dumped to recycling because it arbitrarily decided that it didn’t ever need to be discoverable or respond to any print requests one day, and so even though there was nothing mechanically wrong with it, even hooking up a Raspberry Pi to run CUPS over USB didn’t fix the issue – because Brother explicitly refuses to publish drivers for the Raspberry Pi, and their inkjet drivers are proprietary.

I’ve since replaced it with the best-reviewed Epson printer I could find that supports a generic PCL driver, so that if Epson ever loses their minds in the way Brother did, I can fall back on an open-source implementation of good ol’ PCL.

That thing’s given us no issues so far.

• Fonzie!@ttrpg.network
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Heck, even my 7 year old HP laserprinter is doing just fine, still

Granted, I print like 70 pages a year, but that’s still better than the inktjet before!

• BoofStroke@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Linux/Cups. Postscript. Laser. Have never had a problem. Printers not working is a “put the logic in the Windoze driver” problem vs telling a good printer “Print this”.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Sadly the consumer laser printer market is in decline and a couple of companies have already exited. I’m not sure how much longer they’ll be available (new).

Home printing is a declining market overall, SMB printing has plateaued, and a lot of the die-hard laser printer users are moving away; because bringing big canisters of microplastics into one’s home is less appealing than it once was.

• Shinji_Ikari [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I found a brother laser printer for 8 bucks at a thrift store and it printed with linux over USB as soon as I got it home without any tweaking.

I then directly networked it to a raspberry pi, configured it with cups and shared the printer over my network. Every device was able to discover it instantly and I can print from anything, android phone, ipad, mac, linux laptop, etc.

It’s absolutely freeing. I found an OEM toner cartridge for like 30 bucks, so I have like 2000 bw prints ready to go for like 40 dollars all in.

• averagedrunk@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I will talk shit about a lot of printers, but I’ve had a Brother workhorse laser for years. It’s black and white. You tell it to print and it spits out pages. I don’t know if they still make them that way but they used to be amazing at the very least.

• bahmanm@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

😆Can someone make a similar one for bluetooth devices too, pretty please?

• Dandroid@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You must be amazingly lucky. Bluetooth has been nothing but issues for me for 15 years of use, across a plethora of host and client devices, OSes, mobile and desktop, all Bluetooth versions, proprietary implementations (game controllers), cheap devices, expensive devices, ranges, etc. Bluetooth has improved a lot in the past 5 years, but it’s still not good enough imo. A PS5 controller can’t stay reliably connected to my steam deck that is docked by my TV while I am sitting on my couch, yet an Xbox controller with a wifi-based USB dongle works fine.

• Vilian@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

wow, maybe i never used bluetooth to much because i never run into that issues, to be fair of the ps5 the driver is still immature(and community made, so it’s more slow to be implemented) and the steam deck need to update the kernel for the drivers fixes

• ben@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This looks like an office jet pro 8720 which ironically is one of the printers I’ve had the least trouble with.

I’m running an Epson ecotank now though because the price per page is way better.

• kat@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Get a Brother. My simple black and white laser printer has very strong “ME PRINT FOR YOU. ME PRINT! ME PRINT ALL PAGE FOR YOU” energy. The only beef we have is when he is all “NO PRINT. FEED ME PAPER” and then when fed he goes back to printing no problem.

• Double_A
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s because the printer heads are really hard to make, since the individual nozzles are so tiny.

• pisstoria [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

it took me an hour to scan and send 2 one page forms successfully. that’s about the same speed i could write everything on the pages by hand and address an envelope, so i’d say they work okay.

• setVeryLoud(true);@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My perception was that this sublemmy was about humoristic takes on programmers’ day to day, i.e. programming-related.

This is more IT-related, and the horse is dead and rotting.

• telepresence
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

fyi, lemmy doesen’t have sublemmies, but communities. that’s why the url is instance/c/community or yourinstance/c/community@instance

• setVeryLoud(true);@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Yes indeed, we call them sublemmy because they’re mostly analogous to subreddits, but the official term is communities

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Probably a “hey, you’re good with computers” so “you can fix the printer, right” thing too.

We know you can fix it, but don’t ever admit it!