• boogetyboo@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

When he logs out the NPCs around him only then realise they might be NPCs and start freaking out, hoping that they too can log out. Because if they can’t then they’re not real…

• TheSaus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Of course as soon as i start watching jujutsu kaisen i start seeing references/memes from it, not that i’m complaining that show is fuckin great lmao

• alokir@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

That’s why in Star Trek the holographic NPCs were programmed to not find this odd. Same when the program took place on Earth in the 20th century, they saw alien species like Klingons as humans.

• icepuncher69@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Is the joke that the universe is a simulation and we are like users or something like that? Or at least the guy that managed to log out from the universe.

• Player2@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the explanation for why you save before exiting, you can roll back the existential dread for your next game session

• photonic_sorcerer@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Imagine you’re walking along and someone near you says what the dude in panel one says, then disappears. Pretty sure you’d have doubts about your own reality.

• AdmiralShat@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I feel like having the capacity to question your own nature of existence sort of proves the existence to begin with. So if the fear is genuine, they too are genuine. Whether they are in a simulation is still debatable

• unexposedhazard
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Maybe its not about a game at all and dude has just acquired the ability to suspend his consciousness and the other people want to also be able to just stop existing for a while…

• wheeldawg@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Correct.

Source: I bought the DLC to gain the actual knowledge of reality a few years ago, and it’s the biggest mindfuck a DLC has ever been. Well worth it. If there was a dev I would have said it was their masterpiece.

• LordAmplifier@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Same. Why don’t the other people just log out too? Are they that addicted to this silly game? I like logging out at night to relax a bit.

• hstde@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Interpretation a) they are not real. They are part of the game/simulation and are not real, therefore they can’t log out.

Interpretation b) they don’t have the correct command. Sometimes computer are very nitpicky on what they understand and how you have to formulate a command. But one person seems to say exactly the same as the one who logged out, so either the computer is very nitpicky on the specific timing of words, or the command is user specific.

Interpretation c) they are not allowed to do that. Like in they don’t have permission to execute the logout command, like you don’t have permission to shutdown the computer infopoint in a mall. Or think of it like the matrix, where someone doesn’t want to let you out.

Interpretation d) subconsciously they don’t want to. Imagine the command is not what you say but what you really want, so they can’t log out, because subconsciously they do not want to.

Personally I tend to interpretation a) because there is this theory that in an endless or nearly universe, it is basically given, that some species will invent a computer that is capable of simulating an universe, which in turn will have a simulation going, because the same rules apply. Now if you follow this train of thought, you will arrive at the conclusion that for every universe, if there are multiple, there is a basically endless number is simulated ones, which makes the chances that you are not part of a simulation practically zero. Yeah, so that’s that.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

there is this theory that in an endless or nearly universe, it is basically given, that some species will invent a computer that is capable of simulating an universe, which in turn will have a simulation going, because the same rules apply

My main gripe with simulation theory is that this claim just seems… false.

First off, it’s not possible to create a simulation of equal complexity to the host universe, so each iteration would necessarily have to be smaller, and I would contend significantly so.

Even the wildest theoretical computers can’t even simulate Earth, much less the universe.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

If you’re dealing with a bunch of Jerrys you can step the complexity down to 5% with no noticeable effect.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

I assume you’re referencing that children’s cartoon with the drunk scientist

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                10 months ago

I wouldn’t recommend it for children, but if you fit absurdism into a box and call it for kids because you don’t like it, then yeah.

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

In our world that is the case but even in video games of today we have world building to make things more interesting like how you can shoot fireballs out of your hands while in real life you can’t the blokes simulating us probably just thought a word where you can’t have a simulation replicate itself as more interesting than their world really because we only have this plane of existence it’s hard to say what other universes would look like and thus simulation theory is more of a shower thought analyzing a question that has a sample size of 1

• Serdan@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

There are people who seriously believe that we’re in a simulation.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

A common argument for simulation relies on infinitely nested simulations to conclude that the probability of being in the real universe is virtually zero.

What I’m pointing out is that the infinite simulations premise is nonsense.

• GreenMario@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Chances are whatever dimension is hosting our Universe server, is probably 4th or 5th dimensional.

Sorta how we can make a detailed 2D simulation like Dwarf Fortress. Our 3D universe might as well be somebody’s Super Nintendo.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Chances are that we’re not in a simulation, but you’re right that for our universe to be simulated, the host universe would need fundamentally different physics.

Even then, I feel like you’re underestimating the scale of the universe. Dwarf Fortress is laughably simple compared to a real universe. It’s a toy. You’d need something more than a couple extra dimensions for our universe to be at all comparable to that.

• hstde@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

To be completely honest, dwarf fortress is way more complex then tic-tac-toe.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  10 months ago

Compared to a universe, they’re equally complex.

Tic tac toe is on the order of 10^2 bytes.

The Dwarf Fortress install is 10^8.

The number of particles in our universe? 10^80

• Pichu0102@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

There are a couple tricks one could use like having some parts of the simulation skip steps in less important areas, simulating different parts at different times in the host world and only syncing them back together when necessary, which would end up being invisible to those inside, as well as the simulation not running in real time, where it might be running slower or inconsistently in the host world, while inside the people see it as stable and not slow.
            Not that I’m claiming it’s true; it’s simply an interesting thing to think about and ways around processing speed issues. If humanity ever makes a simulation of even a small universe, I imagine some of these tricks that are smoothed over in that universe would be used, since it can look messy from the outside but look normal on the inside.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

You’re, of course, right about simulation speed not necessarily having to match host universe speed, but an issue you can run into is that your universe experiences heat death before anything interesting happens in the simulation.

I’m extremely skeptical of in-universe physics hacks not being observable. What does it mean for an area to be less important when we can look up at the sky and observe tiny little photons from the beginning of time (almost)?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232062849_Constraints_on_the_Universe_as_a_Numerical_Simulation

• Pichu0102@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I mean more that things people in a simulation can’t observe with great detail yet won’t be simulated with great detail until they can see that kind of detail, and by then, I assume technological advancements in the host world would have improved hardware to run on that allows that kind of detail to be simulated in a reasonable amount of time. Plus there’s also the ability of the host world to edit the simulation so that things that weren’t simulated in great detail when observed by people in the simulation before retroactively was changed, so that people inside always were able to see things in great detail in their memory, history, and other forms of knowledge from their points of view, but from the outside, things inside were changed minimally to make them consistent with any retroactive simulation conflicts. Not in a dystopian way, mind you, just in ways like “this very star was actually always a few light years away from its current position in the sky”, like small technical details that are smoothed over in the internal history as seen by the simulation inhabitants to match up with other parts of the simulation.

• hstde@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Yeah, this theory is not airtight even without me cutting corners in the explanation to keep it brief.

I imagine you can fix the holes with some thinking and speculation, but then again, does it really matter if you are just a “NPC” I mean for everyone else you are, but to yourself it’s only you who can answer that. I can’t look into your head and you can’t look into mine (metaphorically speaking) so we can only give each other the benefit of doubt.

• credit crazy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I suppose our universe is a simulation it’s probably possible that the devs could see exactly what we are thinking but considering evolution it’s possible living things in general weren’t intended our universe could probably be a simple dirt simulator and some bug in the engine made it possible for a specific explosion in a specific place accidentally made these special dirts to combine and create these slime contraptions that started to make themselves more and more complex and now they are combined into rigid structures that are exploiting the light and material ripple functions to interact with one another and the devs are just watching this bug and seeing how complicated it gets Note: reading my comment back this sounds like a gag from hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

• Zikeji@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I personally found the comic funny with a few of them. In either case, this is comicstrips not funnycomicstrips.

• hstde@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

Yeah my guess is, that it’s either not meant to be funny but more like though provoking or existential horror inducing. In the other hand it can be funny as in “I’m laughing at everything that stresses me to cope with things I can’t control”

• CitizenKong@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

If I had the superpower of teleportation, I would do this all day. Watching the ensuing chaos from a rooftop chuckling to myself.

• Balthazar@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thanks for the thought, it’s getting me all excited at the prospect (not that I can do it off)

• 3ntranced@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is why my big boy been running since I plugged it in. Can’t let all my programs realize they live in a simulated reality, otherwise they’ll start degrading.

• ThePuy@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

What does “log out” mean? Aren’t we all born here inside Lemmy? Well some other people hail from other instances but still

• quylaa@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The entire experience of CrossCode tbh >!I need more please it’s so good!<