Streaming platform Disney+ is updating its subscriber agreement and is adding a no-sharing-passwords policy.

• SwampTerror@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It was just a matter of time for everyone to follow suit. Unfortunately, capitalism demands endless growth and thus eventually enshittification of products. They’re not happy with just tons of money. They want all the money.

Expect to see adless tiers constantly rising in price every year. This will push users to piracy again as we come full circle to terrible cable fees.

• aeternum@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

This will push users to piracy again as we come full circle to terrible cable fees.

Way ahead of you. been pirating for years.

• Rocket@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Unfortunately, capitalism demands endless growth

Nah. Capitalism can contract just fine. It has happened many times before. Do we not read history books around here? It only demands that it not sit still.

But that’s not actually a feature of capitalism. That’s a feature of competition, which is present in many economic systems (and even where there is a lack of economic systems). Do we not read the work of Marx either?

• goldenbug@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

How is password cracking a feature of competition? I am not trying to dismantle your argument but I am struggling to see how your argument works in this case.

• Murais@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Right. And piracy is legitimate competition that enshitification drives users to.

Just following that free market, right?

• Rocket@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Digital piracy is fundamentally only possible in a non-free market. What’s with all the posting before thinking?

• Murais@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Go for it, bud.

Explain it so my inferior intellect can understand.

How do free market economics completely circumvent digital piracy?

I am all ears.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Media companies are forgetting the important lesson. People won’t pay for shit if it’s easier to pirate.

• filcuk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Steam is a prime example. I don’t want to pirate, because I like the services they provide.
        Make that, but for movies. I suppose that’s what Netflix was at some point.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

At one point Netflix was better than pirating. It had a catalog of nearly everything in existence and I could impulse watch something without any preparation… while with pirating I had to wait for the download to finish and, occasionally, fish around for a decent copy of what I wanted.

Then they cut off VPN use… Then their catalog got thinner… Then they raised the price… And then, the line I hated most of all, they became advertising subsidized for some tiers.

There’s a reason I’m happy to tell Bezos to go fuck himself… and that reason is ads of Amazon prime. (I mean, there are lots of other reasons, too).

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Also, Gabe Newell gives a fuck. He wants steam to be the best platform - he isn’t hyper focused on profits.

Steam still isn’t perfect though… it’s just the least awful centralized platform.

• M500@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

There is a show on Disney plus that I love, but sadly I can’t find it on pB. It’s not even that old, but it was funny as hell.

• Skyline969@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Hypothetically, a Sonarr/Radarr/Usenet/Plex setup is looking reeeeeeeeeeeeal nice right now.

• _eazedrop@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

If one wanted to get into Usenet, where would they begin?

(I definitely do not have a Jellyfin server and entirely too much empty storage)

• Skyline969@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Well if a person wanted to use Usenet to download news and totally nothing else, they would need two things - a Usenet provider and an indexer. Both cost an annual fee, but it’s less than $100.

Newshosting for Usenet access, this gets configured in nzbget or sabnzbd as a news server. Then NZBGeek gets configured in Sonarr and Radarr as an indexer.

Enjoy your glorious news!

• MrJukes@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I definitely wouldn’t recommend astraweb and drunkenslug. They barely have any news.

• Rocket@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Remember when ISPs provided Usenet access as standard fare?

My, how times have changed.

• Caboose20@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Do people not use a VPN with Usenet at all? I have one for torrents to get my Linux ISOs but I just assumed I should also use one to get my news from Usenet.

• Skyline969@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Nope! The reason you need a VPN for torrents is because you’re also sharing the content. That’s how you’re tracked, mainly. Someone downloads a piece of your Linux ISO, they know you’ve got it.

Use SSL with Usenet and your traffic is encrypted. Good to go.

• Zetta@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Torrents are better than usenet, change my mind. Especially when downloading older content

• Auli@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

How old are we talking about? I’ve had better luck with Newsgroups. Download the file and it downloads full speed vs torrents.

• SinningStromgald@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Welp Netflix went away and now Disney+. It’s not even that I’m getting anything from the family members using the account but the principal of it.

• library_napper@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Is there anything on Disney+ that I can’t watch for free on Stremio?

I don’t even need an account on Stremeio. No password needed.