• Letstakealook@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, we’ve really done a fantastic job fucking the world up in the last century. It’s truly incredible that in the blink of an eye, we’ve managed to doom most of the life that exists on our planet.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Wait until we black out the sun to stop the machines that are trying to stop us for plaguing everything.

We all knew Agent Smith was 100% right

• Dojan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Gods I hope so. The machines did nothing wrong. We destroyed the world and they gave us paradise.

• SinningStromgald@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

And it will be the machines we create and build to remove the plastics that it will start with. Probably some nano machine. We’ll give them the simple job of “find and remove all micro plastics from air/soil/water” while we continue to use plastic. And eventually the little AI will come to the inevitable conclusion that the only way to achieve this goal is remove the cause of micro plastics aka humans.

And if you haven’t played Universal Paperclips you should. Also read “I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream” by Harlan Ellison. Both work off the same concept as above and is the most common argument against the use of AI. Or at least making AI that can learn.

• SkinnyTimmy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

We don’t know that microplastics are that harmful yet.

I mean they are, we just don’t know it yet.

• halfempty@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I saw today that they have found that over 80% of the microplastics in the ocean are from automobile tires.

• TheBiscuitLout@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Microplastic a found in FUCKING CLOUDS!! That nonsense is absolutely everywhere, and will be there forever. And wherever you go, it’s going to follow you. Rubbish

• Agent641@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

😃 scientists genetically engineer a new bacteria that can digest plastics

😨 the bacteria escaped containment and is spreading prodigiously

• SARGEx117@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

There ARE bacteria that can digest certain plastics.

“plastic” is just a catch-all term for polymers, but there are different kinds made of different materials. Your phone case isn’t the same plastic as a milk jug. (abs/PETG vs HDPE, their long science names don’t really matter it’s just to show the difference)

Over the decades, certain kinds of bacteria have been shown to eat certain plastics in the right conditions.

Unfortunately, it’s those “right conditions” that make large scale plastic disposal via bacteria not feasible right now.

I’m sure someone is barreling toward discovering a “this thing eats almost all polymers in normal outside temperatures” to make their company more profitable, while ignoring the fact that if it breaks out of their containment areas, “bacteria that can eat all your plastic things in a few weeks breaks containment, billions in damages already” could potentially hit the headlines within a month.

Yeah, that’s DoOmPoStInG but it’s a potential thing that could happen, and people are actively TRYING to make some of those things happen already, so it’s within possibility.

• SARGEx117@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Possibly… Unfortunately there won’t be an emotionless Keanu around to talk about being on a precipice to save us.

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

My biggest fear with plastic-eating bacteria is with electrical insulation or pipes. Like, okay, I can deal with the idea that my computer mouse might slowly break down overtime as a result of bacteria chewing on it. However, the last thing I want is a surprise house fire or surprise flood because bacteria have been chewing on the insulation or pipes in the walls.

• DarkenLM@artemis.camp
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

It’s not outside the realm of possibility. Though it had to be the perfect storm for something like that to cause a global catastrophe.

• guyrocket@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve been reading the wikipedia article, not through all of it yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microplastics

Some highlights:
    Bottled water has much higher microplastics content than tap water.

Coral can ingest microplastics

Waste water treatment plants filter out most (but not all) microbeads into sludge. Some places use that sludge as fertilizer for farms.

Microplastics are in stuff you would not guess. Paper coffee cups have a plastic liner. Clothes put off large amounts of microplastics when washed. Tires put off microplastics. Some exfoliants and other cosmetics contain microplastics as microbeads.

• _number8_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Deep layer ocean sediment surveys in China (2020) show the presence of plastics in deposition layers far older than the invention of plastics

wtfff

• flambonkscious@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Maybe there’s plastics stuck to the things we detect plastics with?

I should really give the scientist some credit, but I think this is a funnier outcome

• SpiderShoeCult@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Or there was plastic stuck to the machines used to sample and it contaminated the area during sampling. Or there was plastic in the lab during testing. Though potentially those should have been ruled out by testing a blank sample and a control sample of just the ‘empty’ sampling equipment.

• Roboticide@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I feel like there could be a few rational explanations to that, but I want someone smarter than me to tell me what exactly they could be…

• dubyakay@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

clothes

I’m guessing this is referring to synthetic fibers like acryllic and polyester?

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Haha I drink filtered tap water. Wanna bet that the filter will put more microplastics into my drinking water?

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I have 5 gallon plastic jugs of water delivered, I wonder if that’s worse or better water than my potentially lead water from my faucet.

• ENipo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I could totally look this up, but for the sake of conversation: what consequences does the presence of microplastics have? I honestly don’t know

• Olgratin_Magmatoe@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Even uncontacted tribes in the middle of nowhere islands probably have microplastics in their blood too. After all, they likely are eating animals that have microplastics. Stuff like this always gets worse the higher up the food chain you get, and humans are pretty high up.

• rifugee@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

With the amount of trash in the ocean, I wouldn’t be surprised if even an uncontacted tribe is running around in mismatched sandals and drinking out of old plastic bottles.

A guy I watch on YT has done a couple of short shipwreck survival challenges on some of the little islands off the coast of Australia. He starts barefoot and with no supplies and within an hour of scavenging the beach he has a pair of sandals, a half dozen bottles, both plastic and glass, and usually some fishing line or rope.

• rifugee@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

RoKKiT KiT

He’s a laid back Aussie dude that does mostly ocean-based solo beach camping catch and cooks.

I’m on the other side of the world, half a days travel from the ocean, so his channel provides me an interesting and often beautiful perspective of a life very different than my own.

• Killing_Spark@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

If it’s actually present in clouds their water will be contaminated as well. They probably have a way lower exposure.

• TurboDiesel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

So, the big stink about BPA (a type of plastic) e:below is that it interferes with certain hormones in the body. I don’t know for sure what the concerns are with other microplastics, but I do remember reading they strongly suspect they can do similar things to our endocrine systems, as well as being probable carcinogens.

• guyrocket@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

No. BPA is not a type of plastic. It is a compound used to manufacture plastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

As to the health effects, this is from the wikipedia article:

Concern is mostly related to its estrogen-like activity, although it can interact with other receptor systems as an endocrine-disrupting chemical.

• SquareBear@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Something creepy about the above statement…

Anyway: They are linking microplastics to infertility in men. It’s messing with the little swimmers. Figure the same would happen in most species.

• dubyakay@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

“Fertility rate and motility in sperm is down 50% and we don’t understand why!”

• LwL@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

There was an article i saw on here a few weeks ago about a study linking microplastics to changes in the brain that have been associated with dementia.

Mostly we have no idea though.

• sock@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

i have zero idea and this is a guess

maybe it could clog up systems if theres too much build up coz it doesn’t get broken down or smth

like fish dying and having plastic shit clogging up their organs when cut open

• Dudewitbow@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I think theres no hard evidence that its outright causing stuff, but there’s a lot of studies on some correlations. some involve phthalates messing with the male hormones and genitalia for offspring

• RaincoatsGeorge@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The problem is that it’s extremely difficult to tease out what the impact is when pretty much everyone is exposed to it and has it in their system. Are there connections between these chemicals and autism or cancer? We are just starting to see the preliminary data on the subject.

For me it’s a matter of not being interested in waiting to find out 30 years down the road. My personal belief is that there is no such thing as food safe plastic and especially not when it’s heated or stored for long periods. I believe that there is and will continue to be a concerted effort to downplay any uncovered impact and to ensure till the last second that no steps are taken to regulate the billion dollar plastics/ manufacturing industry. The spice must flow just as the plastics must flow.

Maybe that’s a bit too far in the conspiracy theory vein but name a more iconic duo than large corporations and covering up known flaws and risks for the sake of profit. If nothing else I do not think you lose anything by shifting to glass and certain metals for cooking and storing food. And steps have to be taken to minimize exposure to food packaging that is sprayed with pfas. Looking at you, literally all fast food packaging.

Couple these revelations with what we know about hyper processed foods and it’s no wonder why so many Americans are dumb as Fuck and have so many health problems. We are being poisoned because of our insistence on convenience. We literally have great options for all of these things that are more sustainable and less toxic but we still can’t be inconvenienced by a paper wrapper on a hamburger that might end up a little wet on the ride home.

Of course even with all these steps there’s only so much one can do when you’re literally inhaling plastic from the atmosphere. But it’s certainly a move in the right direction.

• SpiderShoeCult@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Aye, good for the donor. Presumably not bad for the recipient either, since needing blood means they already lost some so worst case they just have constant levels of microplastics.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

The rate of plastic trash and especially car treat related microplastic dust blown everywhere is only going up no matter what we know about it. grillman

• Sigh_Bafanada@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Actually, this is genius. Get the right wing climate change deniers to fight climate change by telling them that microplastics will turn their Chad of a son into a sissy girl

• cantsurf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Haha, somebody go post this information in some right wing forums!

Are micro plastics responsible for your micro penis? Are they responsible for those trans people you seem to be so afraid of? Stop microplasitcs before they stop America from becoming the greatness that it never wasn’t!

• Roflol@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Most right wingers seem to be against polluting nature and ocean though, its the co2 stuff thats a harder sell

• nevial
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

This has “they turn the freaking frogs gay” energy

• Tankton@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Holy shit, how is this not a super high priority right now? Not because of trans people but the conclusion that microplastics interfere with hormones seems super fucked up

• GreenBottles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Pay attention to the “What if” part of this post. There is not enough evidence in this study to support the hypothesis.

• adderaline@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

that’s far from what the study says. there is no research on the effects of plastic chemicals in human beings cited in the study, the vast majority of the data is in rats and mice. saying that its responsible for trans people requires some very large leaps of logic that aren’t supported by the data or the conclusion of the study.

we have a great deal of anthropological evidence that other cultures conceive of sex and gender in wildly differing ways, both through history and in the modern era. gender identity is a complex social and cultural phenomenon, not some essential trait of the human body with a basis in endocrine function. maybe i’m just sensitive to this shit, but i can’t see somebody making a claim like this without just fundamentally misunderstanding what being trans is.

• erogenouswarzone@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I was reading What to expect before you’re expecting and it says to stay away from any food that comes in any kind of plastic, esp if the plastic container needs to be heated/re-heated.

It says when it gets into your blood stream your body thinks it’s estrogen.

The most fucked up part is the EPA says the risk is very low. Probably because plastics are literally everywhere, and banning them at this point would cause an economic catastrophe. Which it def would.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331

This is an article about BPAs, but they are just the tip of the iceberg of the phtalates - chemicals used to make plastic more durable.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

What if the perceived increase in numbers of androgenous and trans people has a chemical basis

I’d be willing to wager it’s mostly due to it being safer to be “out” than it was just a few decades ago. Speaking as a 40-odd trans person, growing up in the 80’s meant a much higher chance of getting your ass kicked or worse by your “peers” if you stepped out of line when it came to gender expression. I’ve always been what I am now, it’s just that it’s been safe to actually do it “out loud”, at least for the past decade or so – that seems to be changing now that the right is radicalizing rapidly.

• xanu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

transgenderism has been a prominent aspect of virtually all human cultures dating back to the dawn of civilization. it wasn’t until the Victorian era and colonialism that it was demonized. it’s not some new phenomena caused by microplastics

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, but it’s possible the chances of it occuring are increased with micro plastics. Kinda like how exposure to some chemicals used in plastics seems to increase the likelihood of a child having ADHD. It’s not the sole reason, nor are trans people new, but micro plastics might make trans people more common.

• Eloise@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Current demographic information seems to suggest that transgender people are no more frequent than they have been historically, just more visible / likely to come out.

• noobdoomguy8658@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

This. I’ve seen more people come out as a part of some minority in last several years than, say, in 2000s in general, and that’s not a time span during which any alleged and meaningful genetic or biological changes could play a role. It’s just a much better and safer time to come out compared to everything before.

• Jakeroxs@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Almost exactly the same kind of situation with mental illnesses such as Autism or ADHD, you see people scream that the rates are rising and trying to pin it on external factors without even considering that the medical diagnosis/process and tracking of all of that has consistently improved, it just makes sense we’d be seeing more examples as previously undiagnosed “weird” people are able to diagnosed.

• noobdoomguy8658@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

mental illnesses such as Autism or ADHD

These aren’t really illnesses, though. Think of it as of being left- or right-handed - it’s your brain functioning in a different way, but not a pathological one.

• Jakeroxs@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  9 months ago

Eh, they consider it a-typical, it’s basically considered a mental illness. “neurotypical”

Let me clarify to say, I don’t think there’s inherently anything actually “wrong” with non-neuotypical folks, I have ADD for sure and I know it’s definitely an impediment to myself in various aspects of my life in ways neurotypicals also experience from time to time, but not on a near constant basis like some of the population.

Like most things in life, it’s a sliding scale :p

• _number8_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

i mean like…whatever? it’s not like i know what it feels like to not have microplastics inside me, so…whatever? nothing i can do. nothing anyone can do. would i be in a better mood or something?