• hydrospanner@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I absolutely love the irony of this being a known issue, when my Pixel 3 had the exciting issue of occasionally getting stuck in a boot loop, and every loop, it’d call 911.

Great fun staying up till 3am in order to hang up on 911 hundreds of times until the battery ran out.

• eee@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I still don’t like the ridiculously big quick toggle icons and the fact that wifi is hidden behind a second layer of quick toggles.

Also I’m not sure about the warranty process, that’s always been their weak spot

• dingleberry
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s all OS. So it’ll be there even on older Pixels.

• LifeInOregon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I feel like it’s going to be the 7 year commitment. I don’t think they’ll keep it. They’ll find a way to rephrase and reframe and abandon the 7 year updates like they do so many of their announced plans.

• sugartits@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Which actually might be okay.

The new features that I give a shit about have mostly plateaued now. I don’t care about new releases. As long as “what I bought keeps working and some cunt next to me on a laptop can’t randomly hack my phone” remains in effect I legitimately might not care.

• tony@lemmy.hoyle.me.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Phones just do the same stuff now, so updates don’t really matter beyond security. That’s a problem for the pixel 8 too… I’ve got a 7a and it’s not really got anything my 5 didn’t have, other than being bigger and heavier. So I’m not even bothered by the 8.

• danielfgom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago
      1. Too expensive, won’t sell
      2. The 8 has too few features compared to the pro. Might as well get a 7pro on discount
      3. Overheating
      4. Won’t get 7 years of updates
    • ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Their tizen chips aren’t good if you want to game. That’ll be about it compared to other high end phones. No SD slot, jack, or swappable battery.

• SnipingNinja@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Tizen Tensor

For those who don’t know: tizen is Samsung’s operating system which they used on phones and watches previously and still use on TVs.

• XTornado@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Yeah that was the main reason why I didn’t get a Pixel when I was going to change my old phone. I don’t game so often but when I do I want to not be slowed down…

• stimut@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Pixel 7 owner here. I’m very happy with my phone and will gladly get a new pixel when this one dies.

• 0110010001100010@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

My one and only complaint with the 7 pro is the damn finger print reader. I miss the one on the back from my 5 and if you don’t have your thumb RIGHT over the right spot on the screen it’s easy to get blinded by the light if you are in a dark room. Outside that, love the phone.

• hydrospanner@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Eh, it’s been mostly fine, but yes, the fingerprint reader is literally worse than completely useless.

• Ensign Rick@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

6 pro here and I say the same. Best phone I’ve had since my s7 active. Everything between that and this was garbage. Well, I did like my lg g8 thinq but it had an unplanned swimming incident. I’m going to get a pixel as my next assuming graphene OS is still able to be loaded.

• CarterDarter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’m not happy at all with it, and I miss my P2XL and P4XL everyday because the face unlock and fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 7 is truly dogshit. It pisses me off multiple times a day

• Species8472
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Same. Left Oneplus after the 8T (before Oneplus 1, 3 and 6) for a pixel 7. No regret whatsoever.

• tony@lemmy.hoyle.me.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

when this one dies.

Which is a problem for the phone manufacturers… because everyone’s saying that now. Phones all do what we need them to do already, there are no new killer features.

• Zetta@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Pixel 6 owner here, I’m probably sticking with pixels forever and will flash them with real Linux when that’s more developed, probably like 10 years away

• setVeryLoud(true);@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I just got a 3a XL explicitly for flashing Mobian on it… It’s extremely rough still, but hey, at least it seems to be relatively stable now.

Hopefully the work Purism puts into Phosh and the GNOME ecosystem pays off.

• GregoryTheGreat@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I got burned on a pixel device and I’ll never go back. In my case the phone was fine but Google botched an update and it took a year to really sort out. I stopped using the phone after two months of near unusable phone functions like answering a call. Much later I tried it again and it worked fine.

So they might do updates for a while but are they shit updates?

• rambaroo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Because the phone is a giant spyware device and Google isn’t trustworthy.

• villainy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I’m curious what phone you’re planning to get that isn’t a giant spyware device?

• HiddenLychee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I love my p6pro and agree with the second sentiment. I also just think literally every company is spying on me at all times and I’d drive myself mad trying to stop them so why not just lean into it 🤷‍♀️ at least I have good qol in the meantime

• agent_flounder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’ve had a 2XL and a 4a. Both have been great. I’m debating whether to hold out for an 8 or save a few bucks like I did with the 4a and get a used 7 or something.

• Dylan@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

The upgrades look pretty good for anyone on a 5 or older. Software features were tempting but my 6 Pro gets one more Android update next year so I can probably build off for another couple of years unless my battery craps out sooner.

Hope 7 years of updates becomes the industry standard.

• LaughingM0n@lemmyhub.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

The Pixel 5 was perfect imo. Small size and reasonable battery.

I recently replaced the battery and also flashed LineageOS. Just like new 😁

• tony@lemmy.hoyle.me.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I replaced the battery on my 5 and it was just like new… still is… except it no longer gets security updates, which sucks otherwise it’s be my daily driver today.

• 50MYT@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yep.

I put my 6pro In the comparison and it’s the same or slightly better in a couple of cases.

Will hold off for the 9

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

That’s a really great start with the updates IMO, second only to Fairphone.

I’m personally a little bit skeptical, seeing how Google has a habit of inviting the grim reaper to dine with its products… but hopefully they follow through allowing Pixel owners to enjoy 7 years of OS and security upgrades 👌

• scala@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Last year the pixel 7 was $640 unlocked. My pixel 6 trade-in was $490. $100 difference to trade in, of course I did.

This year Pixel 8 is $699. And they are offering $340 for my pixel 7. . 😑

• scala@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

If that’s the case. I’ll wait. I already have the Pixel 6 A-pods that work just fine. Don’t need the pre-order pixel pods.

Edit: I looked at my orders. It was a October 9. Right after it came out. So not black Friday.

• Brickfrog@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Same here.

Hoping they’ll offer a better discount + trade in deal later on, maybe Black Friday? Otherwise I may end up skipping the Pixel 8.

TBH my Pixel 7 still works great so it’s not a big deal sticking with it but now that I cracked the exterior a nice trade in discount could convince me to upgrade :D

• scala@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Ya my 7 works just fine. Doesn’t seem like a massive upgrade. It would of been nice if they offered at least $490 for the 7 at the very least. Mine is in mint condition, been in a case. No cracks or scratches.

• KelsonV@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

OK, I like the comment here wondering about the thermometer’s range: “things with an interesting temperature are generally uncomfortable to hold your hand next to. I’m sure there will be at least one support call because someone tries to measure fire from 1 inch away.”

• lnsfw3@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

What’s happening with hardware replacements? I’d be shocked if batteries lasted seven years.

I saw something about partnering with iFixit. Is there gonna be a program where we can get a certified battery installed in four years time?

• prayer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Google has been partnered with iFixit for many years now, they offer genuine screens, batteries, and cameras for replacement. There’s no official install service but having parts available through a retail outlet means you can go to anyone you want and they will be able to get a genuine part.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yea, I’ll be curious on battery replacements too. No point if you can’t get a new battery four years later.

• Onii-Chan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Owned my current Pixel 4 since new, but I think it’s time I actually upgrade. Been waiting for the 8 for a while, and as long as I can throw GrapheneOS onto it, I’ll be happy to retire the 4. It’s been an awesome phone.

• tiredofsametab@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yeah, that’s not going to be getting my money anytime soon. I’m still annoyed that my 6 pro overheats if I try to shoot more than around 3 picoseconds of video (with the video quality being one of the main reasons I bought it). Removing the case I have it in barely helps at all and neither has switching various encoding, etc.