The Chrome team says they’re not going to pursue Web Integrity but…

it is piloting a new Android WebView Media Integrity API that’s “narrowly scoped, and only targets WebViews embedded in apps.”

They say its because the team “heard your feedback.” I’m sure that’s true, and I can wildly speculate that all the current anti-trust attention was a factor too.

• TimeSquirrel@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Just need to install Linux as your primary OS and your transition to software freedom will be complete.

• deus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Doing so on the desktop is easy enough. Getting rid of Android appears to be a much harder challenge, though.

• onlinepersona@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Android is opensource. You can get phones that support ROMs like LineageOS (would recommend a FairPhone) or /e/ (godawful name, good ROM) for example - you can buy the Murena phone for this.

Linux phones are about 5 years away from mainstream usability, IMO.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m really looking forward to Linux phones. Have been for years. It’s sad that Mozilla and Canonicals ventures didn’t pan out because both had really fun ideas. Hell I say they had the right ideas, it just wasn’t the right time.

• mark@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I second the recommendation for Fairphone w/ CalyxOS. Feels just like having a Google Pixel running Android. Just way way more private.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Linux phones are about 5 years away from mainstream usability, IMO.

Is this gonna turn into a new meme?

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’ve tried running Replicant and degoogled Lineage OS on an old Samsung phone many years ago. The experience was a bit rough, but tolerable as long as you’re a tech enthusiast and willing to make some sacrifices. Back then it wasn’t quite acceptable to me, because my bank app didn’t work. Then they announced that they were going to phase out the old code paper, so authentication through a mobile app was seen as the only acceptable method going forward.

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Been going through a guide the last few days on and off on how to install pop OS on my 2016 intel MacBook Pro. Pretty excited to make the leap

• doeknius_gloek@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Proton keeps getting better and better. I long for the day when I can ditch windows completely and it might not be too far away.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

If by “not too far away” you mean “5+ years ago,” then sure. That’s how long I’ve been gaming Linux-only, anyway.

• deus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Yes, I’ve done it myself following some tutorials online for Skyrim SE. It’s not as simple as on Windows but it’s definitely possible.

• mememuseum@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Cool, I’ll have to look into that. That’s mainly what’s keeping me from going entirely Linux. I run Mint on my laptop.

• ruplicant@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

it’s native since inception, i believe

prolly even runs better than on windows, although it doesn’t really matter since it’s so freaking optimized

• Nils@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Proton can also be used by other tools like Bottles. It’s very similar to Lutris but with a more general purpose focus, rather than just gaming.

• spatialdestiny@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

What games do you play that aren’t compatible? I don’t play many of the really mainstream games. I think the last game I played that wasn’t compatible at the time was genshin impact.