• Zron@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Be far more cruel to give all blind people eyesight for 3 years.

Just enough time to get used to it, enjoy it, maybe get a drivers license or start a career.

Then one day, it goes away again without explanation.

• mack7400@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah, 30 seconds would just make most blind people barf and shut their eyes until it went away, since their brains haven’t learned to properly process the video.

• lobut@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I think I saw some doctor on YouTube explaining that most blind people don’t see pure black. They have varying levels of sight that count as being legally blind due to cataracts or something else.

Don’t get me wrong, the relief they feel for that 30 seconds for their disabilities to come back still fits in with the spirit of this meme.

• WhiteHawk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

This is probably more aimed towards the people that are born or go completely blind later in life

• MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Completely blind later is very much worse IMO.

Knowing what you’re missing, and being able to do nothing about it, really sucks, especially full blindness, not just legally blind.

Don’t get me wrong, legally blind (just seeing shapes and stuff) still sucks, it’s just hard to compare to full blindness.

I say this as my brother’s medical situation is slowly causing his retina to detach which will lead to full blindness. He’s a graphic designer by education. It’s cruel. He’s not quite legally blind yet, he can still drive in good conditions, but it’s degenerative and getting worse, and will not get better, only worse. The only treatment is to slow the deterioration, nothing will prevent or reverse it.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Myself and my SO are helping him and his wife deal with it. We moved into a shared home and we’re all here for whatever he needs.

We moved in well in advance of him losing full vision so he can learn the layout of the house visually and get to the point of being able to navigate the house with his eyes closed.

We put in Google home devices all over so we can use announcements/paging to call out if he needs help. More people in the house means more people home more often, so there’s a better chance someone is nearby to help when help is needed.

It wasn’t cheap to buy a house when we did, but we’re doing ok. We have a plan.

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t know the breakdown of the statistics, but yeah there are different kinds and levels of blindness. Blindness can be due to physical damage to the lense, retina, optic nerve, or the visual processing area of the brain. It can be due to clouded lenses like cataracts. It can be due to malformations of the retina, non-functioning cones/rods, or shape of the lens or eyeball itself. Some of those lead to total blindness, but lead to varying degrees of vision impairment, up to and including legal blindness. Some of those can be corrected for with glasses, contacts, surgery or even electronic neural interfaces in some cases. Some are just permanent and can’t be improved.

The kind of blindness I find most interesting is when the eyes and optic nerve function normally, but the party of the brain that processes vision just doesn’t function for various reason, but the part of the brain that processes spatial awareness does still function. Those people have no sight at all, but they are still able to perceive objects and space around them and, for example, avoid obstacles when walking, despite but being able to see the obstacles in a visual sense.

• byroon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Good meme. Everybody replying how you could make this more cruel without realising it wouldn’t make it more funny

• Gallardo994@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Let’s remake it. Instead of completely reverting it after 30 seconds, do the following:

• change timespan to 30 days
    • after each blink, you see a WinRar-esque trial window which you have to close manually by touching your butthole with bare fingers.
      • SeeMinusMinus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I have a fix. Cut off the tip of one of your fingers and stick it up your ass. Now the WinRar-esque trial window will not show up anymore. Either that or switch to 7z (which is better anyways) but I know you mother fuckers follow bill gates to closely to ever even think of using a program that is free, open source, faster, and just over all better.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Way ahead of you! Did that 5 years ago! Still get a notification through my colon that my finger is out of date and needs to be updated now and then, but I just consider that a bonus 🤷

• skulblaka@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Had me in the first half there. But Bill Gates didn’t write winrar and 7zip works just fine on windows, so I’m not sure what that whole rant was about.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I know I do, had a hemorrhoid bust back there, now it itches unless I use a bidet which I don’t have

• modifier@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Commenting here so I can remember to come back and read this when I am good and high.

• Flyingostrich@endlesstalk.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You joke, but that’s kindof a thing.

The occipital lobe is responsible for us being able to proccess and turn the info our eyes gather into what we see. Severely damaging is can make us be unable to process the info our eyes collect and be effectively blind. Even though there is nothing wrong with our eyes.

You can have a stroke in your occipital lobe and just wake up blind. Or get hit in the back of your head and lose your vision.

Basicly forget how to see.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

You’re a monster. The pain of never having had is trivial, the pain of getting a taste and then never again, that’s horrible.

• pedro@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Oh so that’s what happened to Blinkin in Robin Hood Men In Tights

• littlecolt@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I heard a blind person recently say on a radio program that the idea that blind people feel deprived and crave the ability to see is a weird concept dreamed up by seeing people.

• NoSpiritAnimal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve heard this position from several disability advocates.

Was this person born blind? I feel like a person with a degenerative disease might think differently.

I knew a girl in a wheelchair who lost the ability to walk in a car accident. She definitely wanted to walk again.

• sgbrain7@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I’m guessing that people who were disabled their whole lives don’t (usually) desire to be able-bodied because that’s just how reality is for them, and people who were once able-bodied would understandably desire the abilities and senses they once had. At least that’s how I’d think of it.

• lefixxx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Seems a little strawman-ish. “Feel deprived and crave the ability to see” is a hyberbole way to say that “blind people would rather have the ability to see”. An assumption that would be safe to make for anyone with a disability, despite if they have learned to have a good life with it.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

There’s a really large contingent of congenitally disabled people that get up in arms about not needing to be “fixed.” They’ll start babbling on about “medical vs social models,” which has some admittedly good points in there, and then they bump into a lamppost.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Nobody is going to force them to be “fixed” but a nontrivial number of disabled people want to rid themselves of their disability if possible.

It’s why we have prosthetic legs, and cochlear implants. Not everyone gets them, but they’re an option if you want them. Unless you’re poor and live in the USA, then you don’t have the option. Gg USA.

• littlecolt@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Perhaps, but fwiw I am a disability chat rep for a company and I often help people with hearing impairments. All of my training stressed that you treat everyone the same until they ask for different treatment. I suppose the term “differently abled” arisea from this as well.

Being a chat rep, of course, I do not deal with the vision impaired nearly as often.

• confluence@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I read a paper once about how even if someone born blind could suddenly “see,” their brain still wouldn’t know what to do with the information.

• SchizoDenji@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

First time I realised this was when Lilly says “I feel the same about seeing as you do about your inability to hear two people whispering across the room” in Katawa shoujo.

Man that was was wonderful VN.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I feel like if I was blind I would tell myself that.

You are not going to meet a person who is as incompetent as music theory as me and can still hear. I would love to have any kinda musical ability.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Give all blind people sight, but only while they are looking at a photo of Margaret Thatcher naked.

• Adori@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Mfw when I fell asleep during the 30 seconds of sight as a blind man.

• Shardikprime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Bro what a waste of a wish haah

If it were an evil genie it would include you as well because you didn’t specify what type of “blindness” you were talking about, so the genie would make you super aware of everything you are not aware of, or blind, and if you don’t go mad from the Revelation, you’d probably go on living, knowing that there is a reality beyond the one you perceive daily, and fall in utter despair. Your only relief would be that you are not alone now, as the rest of humanity shares your same fate.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Bluntly, like with cochlear implants, they wouldn’t likely be able to understand what is happening in those 30s. So it would very likely just disorient most of them.

The only people that would actually suffer are those that could see, and have the ability to understand what they see, that lost their vision later in life. They would get the implied effect of what seems to be intended here.