• Ezergill@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I think they are either refering to child labor in cobalt mines, which was used for Tesla power elements, or to his father’s emerald mines. There’s no evidence of direct people-owning slavery in either case, still a lot of shady and immoral (and probably illegal) practices to earn money in both of them.

• galloog1@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The entire premise behind this post is equally as out of context. China uses patents as blueprints. In Spacex, patenting things is counterproductive. In terms of US competition it is not.

The guy is still a dick and he does manipulate markets. I would also argue that he doesn’t have a case here. All that being said, being misleading does not help you win folks to your side. I thought we were trying to leave this stuff behind on Reddit.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

His parents owned an emerald mine during apartheid where the working conditions for miners (all black, of course) could accurately be described as slavery. He was literally walking around with emeralds in his pockets like some fucked up little prince.

Anyway, that’s how he got his startup capital.

• whoisearth@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

As some context during aparteid it was not uncommon for black South Africans to make 300 to 500 Rand a month. Yes, you are all reading that right. 15 to 35 USD a month.

• Feweroptions@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

This is a common misconception. His daddy loaned him a whopping 28 grand. Nothing mind blowing, and certainly not what you’d expect the heir of a freaking emerald mine to get their hands on.

Elon Musk got most of his capital early in his career from the sale of his first company, Zip2, which he co-founded with his brother Kimbal in 1995 using $28,000 borrowed from their father[1][6]. In 1999, Zip2 was sold to Compaq for $307 million, with Musk earning $22 million[1][6]. Musk then invested $10 million of his Zip2 proceeds into founding X.com, one of the first attempts at online banking, which later became PayPal[1]. After PayPal, Musk invested all of his proceeds into his new projects: SpaceX ($100 million), Tesla ($70 million), and SolarCity ($10 million) [1]. By 2008, he was almost penniless and living on $200 thousand monthly loans from his friends after a $20 million divorce[1]. However, his fortunes changed, and by 2017, his net worth had risen to $16 billion[1].

Citations: [1] https://www.toptal.com/finance/venture-capital-consultants/elon-musks-investments [2] https://time.com/6127754/elon-musk-net-worth-person-of-the-year/ [3] https://money.com/8-innovative-ways-elon-musk-made-money-before-he-was-a-billionaire/ [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk [5] https://financebuzz.com/jobs-elon-musk-had-before-wealthy [6] https://www.sitebuilderreport.com/origin-stories/elon-musk>

• Feweroptions@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

Okay, and the OP’s source for Elon’s success coming solely from daddy’s money and nothing else is what?

Musk has publicly laid out that anybody can get rich writing software without much startup capital - which not only makes sense but by all accounts seems to be exactly what he did.

• redballooon@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

There’s no need for anyone in the western world to frown upon that. Literally all of us started out with the wealth that our ancestors violently extracted from colonies.

Just because you didn’t personally inherit millions doesn’t change the structural fact. All our industries jump-started by getting stuff from colonies. It was a big rush among the colonizers, and those who didn’t do successful colonize are not among “first world” countries today.

Musk is guilty of much, but his sin in benefiting from his parents sins is different from yours only in scale.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Except I don’t deny my privilege, which is on such another scale as to be in a completely different world.

Besides, he doesn’t just pretends to be self-made, he downright believes that his success comes from him being a genetically superior genius. He is consciously siring as much offspring as he possibly can (10 so far, 9 surviving, one of which publicly disowned him) to provide the world with future heroes. To call him a regular level narcissist would be akin to call a tiger a slightly oversized house cat.

Lastly, I refuse to buy Nestlé products because some of them were made using slavery. Musk made his first fortune on the backs of slaves, treats his current employees as similarly to slaves as he can get away with and subjects them to both racist and sexual abuse.

I may have the privilege of being born a cishet white male in a rich country, but that does NOT mean that I’m the equivalent of Apartheid Emerald Boy. Scale matters and immense differences in scale matter immensely.

• whoisearth@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I agree with you in as much as “don’t hate the player hate the game” but at the same time, this is not basketball. This is people knowingly exploiting others. Who cares if “its the norm”?

• 67void@lemmy.villa-straylight.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

yea. not sure how true this is, but i do remember reading that the emerald mines business wasn’t as profitable as people think it is or smthg.

• redballooon@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Admittedly it is not 100% true for all first world countries, when we’re discussing outside Europe it’s a slightly more complex. For America it was not colonialism but imperialism, but that doesn’t change the moral argument. Those states in Asia that are first world I don’t know enough to talk confidently (and with that you know I’m not ChatGPT)

• Paralysah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I mean there was even a Movie about how Zuck likes to get his business ideas from other people. Elmo should’ve watched it. Not that it hits the wrong person tho.

• GoodEye8@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Elmo has his own way of doing things. He throws fat stacks at smart people to make great things, and then take credit by saying it was his idea. The reason Twitter is failing is because there’s no smart guy to throw money at, so the only trick in his book doesn’t work anymore.

• redballooon@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

He worked hard to get rid of all smart guys who previously worked on Twitter. It was an astonishing move for someone who definitely has managed tech companies before.

• Haituga
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why does Musk look so much like disgraced former Doctor Andrew Wakefield?

• rmuk@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I can imagine Musk also paying children to be allowed to extract their bodily fluids at a birthday party, though Musk would be trying to steal their youth for himself rather than using it to sell snake oil.

• relevantnanana@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

What doesn’t make sense are the idiots who keep defending him, even though there is no discernable gain for them.

• joneskind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You mean we should close our eyes on the dirty deeds of billionaires?

Feel free to live in a cave.

I won’t.

• FloppySlapper@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Musk is a moron that’s about as smart as any moron that’s a moron that’s been given vast sums for cash from their father’s African emerald mine.