Welcome to the Melbourne Community Daily Discussion Thread.

• StudSpud The Starchy@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Everyone’s asleep, teleporting through time,
    Everyone’s alive, and that’s truly sublime.
    We carry our doubts with us through life, But know that I love you, you are destined to thrive.
    I know you struggle through fears, and you’re teary,
    You’re stronger than you know, even though you are weary.
    Persevere and summon what energy you can,
    It’ll get better, I’m honestly your biggest fan.
    Sending you my love through all time and spaces,
    When you find happiness, let it show on your faces.

• Bottom_racer@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Oh no found a dead lorikeet. Probably flew into the window poor thing.

It will get a proper burial.

I will say a few words.

Up close they are very beautiful.

• Duenan@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I heard it’s super hot and they’re on alter for fires at the moment.

Are you ok?

• just_kitten@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Where I’m staying is a bit cooler than Sydney and will “only” hit 38 today. Strong hot winds not great for the fire situation but we should be fine, cool change hits tonight thank god. Trying to sleep in a non insulated cabin last night with no fan etc was hard. But it’ll heat right up again next week.

Spending most of the day in the coolest place I can find…

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I feel like shit and was so tired that I was really late with kitty’s breakfast.

Heavy rant

The mentally ill neighbour (one of them, at least) won’t stop screaming and slamming doors so hard it sounds like something is being smashed. That’s nothing new but now it’s escalated and he’s been at it day and night for weeks. Probably closer to a month now maybe. It usually starts at midnight and goes for hours then he does it off and on all day but it’s changed to 3 and 4 am now. He was screaming this morning from 4 to 5am and probably til like 9 because once I finally dropped off I could hear it in my dreams.

I started calling the cops on him a week or two ago after he sexually harassed me and got bizarrely threatening on sight in the 2 minute window of me taking the bins out but that doesn’t seem to be effective. The good news is I managed to get hold of the organization that runs the property and get escalated to a manager who called me back. The bad news is I missed the call and have to phone back Monday.

At least once I can do that I can get her direct work details and do an anonymous letter drop so the other poor souls living with this can complain too and hopefully with numbers we can eventually get him sectioned or moved. (Can you tell this isn’t my first rodeo?)

And yes this probably is Karen behaviour but I do not give a shit anymore. I’ve been tolerating it for months because I didn’t want to screw with the life of someone obviously unwell (especially calling police on a black man) or get him kicked out, but he crossed the line when his actions made me feel genuinely threatened and fearful of my safety. (Also the homophobic rants with slurs.) If he’s doing that to people then he needs to be in hospital. Also there’s the matter of not being allowed to sleep.

The council is another possibility for noise complaints but may not be the right tool for the job. I also need to dig up the number for CATT or the homeless version of CATT. I don’t expect any action there though.

And yes, I’m trying to move but that is complicated.

Edit: Apologies for just… dropping that rant. This area was always a bit rough and I’ve handled it but I feel like things have really deteriorated since covid and it’s driving me spare

• calhoon2005@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

My headlights have gotten real dim recently. So much so that I thought they weren’t actually on, or the bulbs had gone. I checked them, and no, everything is as it should be… But put me on a non lit road at night and it seems like I’ve just got my parkers on…

• SituationCake@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

So much rain today. Have been so lazy. Spent the last 2 hours on the couch listening to a audiobook. Contemplating if I have a very early dinner or just snack.

• TuxOfStars@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

First round of Christmas baking is a win. Sugar cookies (vegan for some folks at work) turned out ok except the frosting is a bit soft. Gingerbread dough is resting overnight in the fridge.

Dinner may have been bikkies…bit of a sugar high going on here right now.

biscuits

• Gibsonisafluffybutt@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I’m ready for bed lol. Starting to get excited by the new job Monday. I’ve spent all this time getting my sleep schedule in order, I haven’t actually thought much about the reason why.

So I’m client services manager/project manager.

I’m replacing a guy that’s been there 18 years, which is a good sign I guess.

I have low expectations with all corporate work, so I’m always pleased when it’s not as bad as I expect.

Money is good, enough to save a fair chunk for a house deposit if I stick it out. Who knows. Could be an absolute shit hole…

I try not to get too carried away spending the money I haven’t made yet lol

But first paycheck I’m buying myself a nice birthday/Xmas present. I always look forward to that 🥳

• Seagoon_@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

was pretty sick just before so made some tomato soup and toast and am feeling a little better

• Nath@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I found ~$870 in my personal account (not the normal joint account). Super confused, I had to Google “quinn emanuel takata” to see why they paid me this money in October. Turns out it’s for the Airbag recall debacle 10 years ago or so. I don’t even have that car any longer.

Oh well. It’s nice to have a secret stash of money this month. It makes it easy to hide Christmas purchases from my wife. 😃