I feel second-hand fear & paranoia on behalf of celebs whose home addresses are public worldwide knowledge.

Anyone can google their address and show up/take pictures/lurk/stalk,

But thankfully most people would never think to do such a thing nor have any inclination to do so,

but the fact that they COULD and sometimes HAVE, is very concerning 😟

I wish sensitive information like that could be kept proprietary and wasn’t so easy for anyone in the world to access.

You know as a matter of fact, it’s much more difficult to find the address of acquaintances we know in daily life. Which is a good thing.

How terrifying it must b for celebrities, so they have body guards and a security detail and full-fledged security system at their houses 😥 it’s exhausting thinking about it.

• Funderpants @lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Hah, those were the days. On your topic though, yea it sucks the way celebrities are treated. It’s part of why they command such compensation (I think) they don’t get to live normal lives even if they wanted to. Becoming famous demands security to a degree most people aren’t familiar with at all.

• Jimmyeatsausage@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

If you own your home, it’s a matter of public record in most states. Hell, I once used to resolve a disagreement my wife and I were having over our neighbor’s name. Just looked up the property address on your county assessors website… They list the owners, when the property was last sold, the appraised value and taxes, and a bunch of other stuff.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Welcome to living in Sweden.

With a quick Google search you can find someone’s home address, income, social security number, birthdate, amount of owned vehicles, political work (if any), size of home, criminal record, and much more!

It fucking sucks for it all to be public information, but websites dedicated to collating it all under one roof is even worse.

• LemmyKnowsBest@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Yeah, phone books..

In the olden days it was easier to look anyone up, the phone company would deliver a new phone book to everyone’s front door twice a year, how could we not all be at least a little fascinated to explore through all those pages and look up people we know from school etc? 😋

nowadays people have to go out of their way with an intention in their mind to go to a website and look people up on whitepages.com or peoplefinder.com etc and last time I noticed years ago, a fee is required to use those kind of sites.

• EchoCranium@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I remember back in grade school (early 80’s) we had lessons about how to use a phone book. Now I’m surprised if I ever see a new one dropped off at the front door.

• Hildegarde@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

The nice thing about being a regular person is that very few people have any reason to care.

If you buy something online, the merchant has your name and address. They could come to your house, but why would they?

• IonAddis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

The nice thing about being a regular person is that very few people have any reason to care.

One crazy ex (or, hopefully ex) and one’s tune changes quick.

Or sometimes you’re born into a shit family, and THEY stalk you when you try to get away.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

yeah thankfully I don’t worry about such things whatsoever, but we’ve all heard in the news once in awhile these things do happen, for example a construction worker on a house came into the window of a sleeping child’s bedroom one night and kidnapped her

• dingus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

In the internet age, it’s incredibly easy to look up personal information about people like their address. Sorry, but you likely are easily searchable just like the rest of us.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

yep, all my lifetime addresses are publicly searchable and easy to find online, but you’d be hard pressed to find me because I don’t live at any of those addresses.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Here in Sweden you can just google a phone number or a name and get the address, a map of the area, an guide to find the right apartment, the persons gender, how many lives in the home, how many vehicles the person owns, the person’s age and birthday, the size of their aprtment, the aproximate value of their home, and more without any cost.

This is normal here, and since everyone is listed we don’t really think about it.

That being said, I would be quite annoyed if the press did an article on me where they published my home address…

• the_q@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Sorry but I don’t feel any sympathy for celebrities. They gave up the right to privacy the second they started getting free $7000 a bottle wines and iPads for free just because they’re famous.

And WTF is up with folks essentially worshipping celebs like Taylor Swift?

• BruceTwarzen@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The thing that i don’t get is, if every celebrity’s phone number, adress and whatever got leaked tomorrow, i would visit and or call the just as much as now.

• Neato@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

People admire those that do things they like. When a LOT of people like the same person it can turn into a feedback loop. Couple that with parasocial relationships and easy communication via the Internet and it can easily blow up. We’re also programmed to like people that are popular because others like them.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I got the shit bullied out of me by popular people when I was a kid. As an adult I just assume anyone who’s popular is a psychopath

• Mario_Dies.wav@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I was going to jokingly post the coordinates to a White Castle in Chicago, but then I thought it might be interpreted as serious doxxing, and I could get permanently suspended.

So just imagine that I did that, and it was really funny.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Often when I meet new people they ask me where I live and I find that very strange and I’m uncomfortable with that.

Why do people ask me where I live? I never ask anyone else where they live. I couldn’t even imagine asking someone that. Especially upon meeting them for the first time.

• BaldProphet@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I don’t know where you’re from, but asking about where one lives (in very general terms, such as city and state) is a common thing to do while striking up friendly conversation here in the US. Your response gives us cultural context and may reveal shared experiences.

No one who asks, “Where you from?” is asking for your street address.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

But what if one day you turn on the TV and you look on the internet and for no fucking reason everywhere you see your name and address posted, and millions of people commenting about it and sharing it with everyone they know.

How would you feel? How would you react?

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Yeah. That’s bs though. Being rich and worried about it while you can afford security and large amounts of property and several vehicles and exclusive clubs and restaurants etc is 100% different than having to deal with the same issues, but with $60k a year instead.

Famous celebrity is a trade off. You’re giving everyone here only the option of taking on the bad portion, while having none of the good portion.

Also remember, most celebrities CHOOSE their fame/lifestyle. They want rich Famous with those issues over $60k and no fame and fortune.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Your giving everyone here only the option of taking on the bad portion, while having none of the good portion.

You’re examining this deeper than my original question. All I asked was: how would you feel if everyone in the world knew where your house is and where you sleep every night?

• ColeSloth
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Slightly disturbed, I guess. It’s not very hard to find where a person lives if you want to, though.

• YeetPics@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I like how you delete every comment you have that goes negative and even edit the text to be “#” so you can’t get called out for your bad takes.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Celebrities could retire into obscurity, go away and be forgotten, nobody would bother them. But they want and NEED to be hounded, stalked, chased and be the center of attention.