Missouri Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft said that while he didn’t want to do it, he had to remind people of how “severe” the situation is.

A top Republican official in Missouri is threatening to remove President Joe Biden from appearing on the ballot as retaliation for the determination in two other states that Donald Trump doesn’t qualify because he “engaged in insurrection.”

“What has happened in Colorado & Maine is disgraceful & undermines our republic,” Missouri Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft wrote on the social media site X on Friday. “While I expect the Supreme Court to overturn this, if not, Secretaries of State will step in & ensure the new legal standard for @realDonaldTrump applies equally to @JoeBiden!”

Ashcroft’s post came shortly after the Supreme Court agreed to review a decision by Colorado’s high court that found Trump could be barred from the state’s primary ballot because of his actions leading up to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

• lettruthout@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

So yeah, if Biden commits insurgency, then his should be off the ballot. But last time I checked he hasn’t come anywhere close.

• phoneymouse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

But, Republicans would have you believe “fair is fair.” Trump got impeached, so Biden should get impeached. Trump got kicked off the ballot, so Biden should get kicked off the ballot. This has nothing to do with pesky things like details and rule of law, it’s just about my side vs your side, unless my side is winning, then I’ll take the law into consideration again.

• Seraph@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

The logic of “We’re going to punish your guy for what our guy did” makes me laugh… until I cry.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

it’s just about my side vs your side

That’s what authoritarians literally believe. It’s a tribal mentality. “Might makes right.” “The ends justify the means.”

• dhork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You’re forgetting that for these people, “commit insurgency” means “supports things I don’t like”.

• nxdefiant@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The real question is what Thomas’s dissenting opinion would be when the SC rules otherwise, and if he gets paid by the word.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

He committed an insurgency… against the road when he got into his Mustang and put it in gear back in the 70s.

• grue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I am really tired of Republicans threatening lawlessness in response to application of lawful consequences.

At this point, they deserve to have some lawless consequences applied to them, if that’s what they crave so badly.

• mateomaui@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I mean, good luck, you’ll have to provide better justification than revenge to keep it from being overturned.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

As though having the rules applied to them won’t reenforce their victim complex.

If they lose - even thanks to a GOP judge (a wild concept) it’ll be because of the elites… You know - the Jews.

They’re somehow both moronic and evil.

• Suavevillain@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Anytime Trump is held slightly accountable, You can count on Republicans to threaten some type of payback.

• SlopppyEngineer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s basically Animal Farm.

“We believe in democracy for all… but some are more democratic than others”

“We believe in free speech… but some speech is more free than others.”

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

Based on a book about how to corrupt a gullible group by selling them a utopia but actually just enriching themselves.

Also, I’m not sure why you would be surprised that Republicans would use such a thing as a guidebook. Despite all their boogeymanning of Saul Alinsky, Republican strategists love Rules for Radicals. They used to distribute it before they decided to associate it with Obama.

• Vespair@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

I think you need to do a couple lessons on reading comprehension first then maybe try reading Animal Farm again

• aceshigh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Well yes because that means they will be accountable too. And they don’t wanna take personal responsibility over anything.

• Mafflez@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Honestly at this point someone just needs to end Trump for the sanity of us all. There stupid fucks won’t get over his dick in their ass otherwise.

• Suavevillain@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I feel like Trump’s ideology has taken over so much of right-wingers even he is out of the way, it will continue.

• Snapz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

They’ll sacrifice their lives for a person who is demonstrably the actual biggest loser in history, and he just gets more loser-y, folks, okay… If any of you are starting to have your memories fade, here’s a quick refresher to read this morning and then copy and send to your aunt karen in Missouri.

• 0 re-elections won
    • 1 term president
    • 2 times impeached
    • 3 marriages
    • 4 inch lifts in his shoes
    • 5 kids, from 3 different mothers
    • 6 bankruptcies
    • 7 US Capitol police suing him for Jan 6 terrorist insurrection and murder of police
    • 8 trillion + dollars added to the US debt in a single term
    • 9 trump lawyers sanctioned by federal judge for lying in frivolous election fraud lawsuits and ordered to pay defendant’s legal fees
    • 10 years that trump paid $0 in income taxes between 2000 and 2015. ($0 to cops, teachers, roads, prisons, disaster relief, etc)
    • 11 trump associates charged with serious crimes over the past 5 years
    • 12 million votes (the big lie) - trump claims he won the 2020 election by 12 million votes when in reality, he lost by about 7 million votes.
    • 13 of August, 2021 - one of multiple days that trump was supposed to magically become president again according to Qanon and a crack addicted pillow salesman (the two most respected information sources in the gop)
    • 14 year old girl in a youth choir that trump approached in 1992 to say, “Wow! Just think - in a couple years I’ll be dating you.”
    • 15 originally confirmed cases of COVID in the US trump said would soon be, “down to close to zero.” followed by, “like a miracle, it will disappear.” - over 1,000,000 Americans have since died of COVID and it continues to kill 4 years later.
    • 16 years old - age of daughter ivanka when she hosted “miss teen” pageant and, according to long time trump associate Noel Casler, “trump called her over in the middle of a rehearsal and had her give him a lap dance while he leered at the crew.”
    • 17 known trump and russia investigations from local, state and federal prosecutors
    • 18 gop senators that ignored trump threats / warnings and supported Biden admin’s infrastructure bill.
    • 19 as in COVID19 - trump was verified as the single largest source of disinformation on the virus, with a Cornell study claiming that 38% of the “misinformation conversation” originated with trump
    • 20 the day in January, 2021, when Biden was sworn in despite trump inciting a violent insurrection to stop election verification at the US Capitol.
    • 21 gun salute that trump ordered for himself when he left office after a humiliating defeat, even though he never served in the military, famously called military members “losers” and “suckers” and actively avoided the draft with a cowardly “bone spurs” excuse.
    • 22 date in August, 2021, when Alabama hate rally crowd booed trump for finally saying people should get vaccinated, only after 700,000 Americans have died due mostly to his failure as president
    • 23 as in wrestlemania 23 in 2007 where trump, a cartoon level failure with no other prospects, participated in a fake bet that a proxy wrestler would win a fake fight on his behalf or he would shave his wig and hair plugs off.
    • 24 day in August, 2021, when trump actually filed a lawsuit in Florida court against YouTube, a private company, demanding that they reinstate his YouTube channel like a desperate, irrelevant embarrassment with no platforms left to abuse.
    • 25 plus credible sexual assault allegations against trump, spanning decades and with accusers starting as young as 13 years old at time of assault.
  • 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

While I expect the Supreme Court to overturn this, if not, Secretaries of State will step in & ensure the new legal standard for @realDonaldTrump applies equally to @JoeBiden!

If it applies equally to both, Biden shouldn’t be taken off since he hasn’t been found guilty of sedition ya dipshit.

• Moira_Mayhem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

There is no republican politician that isn’t a hypocrite. It’s their main super power and has served them well for decades.

The only solution to this is to dissolve the republicunt party and bar everyone involved from holding public office as seditionists.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Trump hasn’t been found guilty of sedition either.

Yes, I’m prepared for the down votes from a bunch of idiots who hate reality.

• PorradaVFR@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Article 14 doesn’t stipulate guilt, just engaging in which the Colorado court determined he did. His removal is the result of due process. So if they can show in court that Biden did the same then sure…but they cannot.

Not the same, purely partisan BS.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Article 14 doesn’t stipulate guilt,

Nor did I say it did.

• PorradaVFR@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

No, but you said Trump has not been found guilty which is not required for him to be precluded from running for office. It’s an artificial bar some are trying to set unsupported by the text in the Constitution.

In any rational timeline SCOTUS would agree but with these justices who knows.

• quo@feddit.uk
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

He was responding to another poster who said not being found guilty should make Biden immune to being taken off.

That’s the context in which that was said, and you’re ignoring that context. There’s a big difference between saying it’s also true of trump, for consistencies sake, and someone bringing it up out of the blue to advocate for trump.

You either have poor reading comprehension or you are responding in bad faith.

• PorradaVFR@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

I understood it perfectly - my point which applies to both comments is that nothing in the 14th stipulates or indeed even mentions conviction, it does specifically exclude insurrection which applies, as determined by the Colorado court, solely to Trump.

The original response was flawed in its premise, agreed, but the guilt angle is Constitutionally irrelevant regardless - that was my point.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Trump hasn’t been found guilty of sedition either.

Not in a court of law; but given all the evidence you have to be willfully ignorant to believe he isn’t guilty of it and wouldn’t receive a conviction if/when there actually is a trial.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I think he’s guilty of it. But we shouldn’t be talking about guilt because it’s not part of the amendment.

• douglasg14b@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

… Did you really just dismiss something that relies, literally, on pedantry, as a system of understanding, for being… Pedantic?

Guilt isn’t part of the amendment, just engaging in sedition is enough, not being found guilty of it.

Guilty being the operative word, which has legal definitions, feel free to ignore/dismiss actual meanings of words for convenience but that is an odd stance to be taking if you aren’t a MAGA? (I’ve interacted with you before, and you’re better than that which is why I’m confused)

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Guilt isn’t part of the amendment, just engaging in sedition is enough, not being found guilty of it.

He engaged in it. Another way to say that is he is guilty of it. I didn’t say he was convicted. So the question still stands: Do you have a better word that means “he fucking did it” that isn’t “guilty?” Because this isn’t a court room and we’re not lawyers. Reasonable people understood what I meant.

• Tbird83ii@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Correct. Trump hasn’t been found guilty of sedition. He has been found guilty of insurrection by the Colorado supreme Court. He also hasn’t been criminally convicted of insurrection, because this isn’t a criminal case.

Sedition and insurrection are different, and parts of different laws. Criminal and civil guilt are also different mechanisms of our laws, but the 14th amendment doesn’t state someone needs to have a criminal conviction to be considered ineligible for office.

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

He has been found guilty of insurrection by the Colorado supreme Court.

An interesting thing I hadn’t thought about. Thanks.

• KredeSeraf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

You’re not wrong. However by the text of the Constitution a guilty verdict isn’t required to invalidate candidacy.

• agamemnonymous@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Technically that is true. However, he was impeached for incitement of insurrection by the House of Representatives. The majority of the Senate then voted to remove him after impeachment, but not the 2/3s majority required.

So no, not “found guilty of sedition”. But he was impeached for inciting insurrection.

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Yes if Joe Biden engages in insurrection then he should be excluded from the ballot. I just don’t think that’s particularly likely.

• OldWoodFrame@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Secretaries of State will step in & ensure the new legal standard for @realDonaldTrump applies equally to @JoeBiden!"

It does. The legal standard does apply equally to everyone. And in fact the same standard has applied for 155 years.

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Doublespeak. Republicans actively work to twist the meaning of words to their base to fit their agenda, so that the other side playing by the rules and being fair looks like political cheating. That way Republicans can engage in political cheating themselves and claim self defense.

In today’s flavor, “legal standard” means “the ability to make us lose” so they want to apply their own “legal standard” to democrats.

It sounds dumb to anyone paying attention, but their voters will eat this up.

• HACKthePRISONS@kolektiva.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

>The legal standard does apply equally to everyone. And in fact the same standard has applied for 155 years.

under the law, in it’s fairness, it is just as illegal for the billionaire to sleep under a bridge as it is for the homeless

fuck laws

also, fuck politicians.

• andrewta@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Waaaahhhh my candidate got kicked off so I’m going to retaliate and try to kick the other guy off. Good luck at the Supreme Court.

• joekar1990@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s literally all the GOP really has been trying to accomplish since Nixon. They did it to our guy so we have to get them back somehow.

• postmateDumbass@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

The reason the government is called a republic is because it follows laws and established proceedures.

Now Team Trump is advocating pure mob rule.

And people think its cool.

• jimbo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

The DOJ should investigate this guy for supporting insurrection, too.

• werefreeatlast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m voting Biden. But if the Democrats would suggest maybe someone else from the 150million rational thinking American population who are not Republican, I would vote for that person. Joe has done a good job. I just don’t wanna be sitting here in my toilet writing about how terrible the situation is 2 years from now when we loose Joe to stress and need a new president. So obviously not Trump or any other rock-like object or non-human organic matter composition. But any human who loves this country and wants us to do even better would be nice.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago
      • 124 million. People old enough to be president who don’t vote for Trump.

Yeah I get invited to all the parties.

• skuzz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’ll volunteer. Am eligible, and was president of an HOA at some point, I’m sure those skills scale. Also, not a Cheeto, nor rock, nor non-human organic matter composition.