• Axiochus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Yup. The idea is that it protects your head from overheating. You wear it so that there is a pocket of air between your head and the hat, so it’s basically insulation.

• Randelung@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

And it works! I won one at a local sauna marathon a few weeks back and you feel the difference when you take it off.

• mayidar@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Actually, many people (or even majority) don’t wear it nowadays. It’s a protection against heat stroke, and if one doesn’t visit a steam room one will be fine, though it’s optionally even in a steam room, e.g. I never wore it.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Protecting against heat stroke potentially sounds like a good idea, but I also feel that preventing that may open you up to less obvious issues caused by being too hot for too long.

• Bonje@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

An ice cream cone? To comedically place it between your privates and the camera?

• garden_boi@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

For most mixed-gender public saunas in Finland though, bathing clothes are mandatory and nudity is prohibited. Also, nobody cares that much what you are wearing and you can wear your swimsuit to a single gender sauna, too, if it makes you feel comfortable.

This is quite opposite to Germany, where regular sauna goers might very well tell you that clothes are prohibited and that they “pose a hygiene problem”. I even heard people saying stuff like “This is a Finnish sauna, you don’t wear clothes here!” in a German mixed gender sauna. Well, the opposite is true for a mixed gender sauna in Finland 🤷🏼.

Edit: My experience is limited, so I guess I was wrong about wearing bathsuits to single-gender saunas. Thanks for pointing that out @kadotux@lemmings.world !

• kadotux@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Jaa mitähän ihmettä? I’ve been to many public saunas in Finland and almost all of them, if not all, prohibit the use of swimsuit/-pants. At least the ones that are in public pools/swimming halls. And the reasoning being as you said, hygiene.

Edit: whoops my bad, you were talking about mixed gender Saunas. You might be correct after all

• Axiochus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Can confirm re: Germany. It’s often explicitly framed as a hygiene issue. That said, there are saunas where you may wear stuff, it’s usually designated. Plus you have “women only days” in a good number of public saunas.

In Russia it’s also common to eat dried fish and drink beer/sometimes vodka in the room next to the sauna.

• bort@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

In Germany it’s often framed as a hygiene issue, because that’s easier to sell to randos. The real issue it that it’s uncomfortable to be nude when there are clothed people all around you. And the sauna itself is more comfortable when nude.

It’s kina like a prisoners delemma, where the pareto solution is when everyone else is nude, and the nash-equlibrium is when everyone is clothed. Because of this, some people will want to defect (i.e. wear clothes), so we need to apply outside pressure to enforce the pareto-efficient solution (i.e. by asking people to remove their clothes).

• Axiochus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Hmmm, in my experience the discomfort goes away quickly and you stop caring about your own or other people’s genitalia, or lack thereof, in plain view. But I appreciate the game theory approach 😺 Given the nonrationality of many social things, I’d wager that it’s just a convention whose true meaning matters less than the fact that “it is the way it is”.

• DrM@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

The restaurant in my local Therme is in the Sauna area. Of course it’s not a naked restaurant, but a “wear a bathrobe or get something to wear” restaurant. But let me tell you: it’s really weird that there are people with clothes on around you in that restaurant. Not uncomfortable, but weird. And the sauna is a place to relax, so I really think it’s better that everyone has to be naked so that nobody can feel uncomfortable. For most people it might not matter, but for some people it does matter.

• Axiochus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

Makes sense! The value of an equalizer, and maybe a sense of mutual vulnerability. I guess it’s a bit like being the only one actually wearing a costume at a costume party.

• notepass@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Sometimes there are also men-only days. Tho they kinda suck.

Woman only day:

• Start with a sparkling wine
        • Get a few skincare things for the sauna
        • Nice smelling infusion
        • A bit of after-care program in the water

Man only day:

• We put FUCKING BEER on the hot stone and add some BBQ scent. FUCK YEAH, MANLY.

I wish man only days where also a bit more “care” focused instead :(

• Axiochus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

True! But dried fish is very common as a beer snack in Russia, so it’s a bit of a default.

• noobdoomguy8658@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Fair enough. I live here and always surprised my family whenever I refuse dried fish with beer - I’m more of a smoked cheese braid or chips kinda person.

• sab@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

A swimsuit is quite common in Norway. Basically you ask yourself the question “am I going to make anyone uncomfortable”. If it’s single gender and people are not extremely shy, you generally go with only a towel, but nobody is really going to care. If you’re a gender mixed group of friends that don’t know each other that well, you might prefer putting on a swimsuit in order to make sure people feel comfortable and included.

From my experience the Swedes are the same.

This is based on private saunas with friends. In public mixed gender saunas I don’t think I’ve seen anyone go naked, but I’m sure certain Finnish tourists would and nobody would mind.

• DrM@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Can confirm the german part: In my gym there recently was an outrage because a Muslim member went to the Sauna with bathing clothes multiple times, which in the end resulted in his contract being terminated. Being naked in the sauna is almost the law here (but in the end nobody cares if you wear your towel or put it below you. Just remember: No sweat on wood!)

• tamal3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’ve never been in a sauna. What do you mean by no sweat on wood? Isn’t the entire experience sweaty?

• DrM@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I don’t know how it’s outside of Germany, but at least in Germany in every public sauna there are signs saying “No sweat on wood!” (or in German: “Kein Schweiß aufs Holz!”)

What this should mean is that too keep the wood from getting too much salt exposure, you should always sit or lay on a big towel which prevents your body from touching the wood.

Of course the experience is extremely sweaty, thats the reason to go there, so you’re correct on that part :)

• ebikefolder@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It is. That’s why you should sit on a towel, instead of directly on the bench, with your nekkid sweaty butt.

• NickwithaC@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

And Great Britain should be orange. Everywhere here would be 100% fine with you wearing a bikini or swimming shorts in a sauna as long as you aren’t completely nude.

• saturnonice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

yeah I was gonna say…have been to a few saunas in Britain and people always wear bikinis or shorts

• wurstgulasch3000@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

There is no www in the link. It starts with preview
          But “old” reddit does not check for vpn when browsing while not logged in? That’s good to know.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I consider it as a glorified Imgur. If you want to upload the images to catbox.moe or anything else and share the link, feel free, I would update the post!

• intelisense@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

In my experience, the U.K. doesn’t do nudity in saunas - or anywhere else.

• pheet@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Finns are naked in public saunas if they are same-gender saunas, like in public swimming halls.

• Kallioapina@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Ekkö nää ole käynyt uimahallissa koskaan? Bullshittia nimittäin väite, että julkisissa saunoissa ei oltaisi alasti… Vähemmistössä turistisaunat on, väitän.

• Kallioapina@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Avantouintiseurojen saunat ja turistisaunat on pieni vähemmistö saunoista. Älä viitsi misinformaatiota välittää suomalaisesta saunakulttuurista, kun muutenkin netissä vilisee mitä ihmeellisimpiä selityksiä “suomalaisesta saunomisesta”.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Feel free to scrape your sagging scrotum along the floor, or hell bend over at the worst possible moment and show us all your grey squirrel roadkill anus, but for the love of the gods please put a towel down before you go sit on stuff.

People who don’t put a towel down should be shot.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Agreed. I don’t need the sweat infused into the wood and me sitting on top.
      There may be rules to shower beforehand but some will forget to choose to ignore it.

• FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Why isn’t Estonia covered? Saunas are like a rule here, like I haven’t lived in a place that doesn’t have a sauna in a 5km range and like every house has a sauna, even my last 3 work places had saunas. The rule here is naked with friends and family and cover all the naughty bits with strangers and coworkers.

• wizzor@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I agree that Estonian sauna culture deserves respect. As for naughty bits covering, is there any difference between genders of friends and family and coworkers, or is one gender per sauna session the implication?

• FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Depends on the crowd. Public saunas are usually gender segregated but for private ones it depends on who is comfortable with what but a mixed crowd is not uncommon from my experience.

• bstix@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

A sauna hat is great if you’re bald. Even if or especially if you like a scorching hot sauna.

• sqgl@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

The map doesn’t say you may wear a hat, it says you must wear a hat and otherwise be naked (apart from the diapers or whatever is).

• sqgl@beehaw.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Am talking about Russia and Latvia.

Your Denmark doesn’t have a dresscode according to this. I suppose even a gimp mask would be OK.

• bstix@feddit.dk
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  5 months ago

I doubt that the hat is mandatory in Russia or Latvia, but it makes more sense there, because they run high temperatures.

No, there’s no official dresscode on this in Denmark, however each place usually show their rules on signs. There’s no rule against a gimp mask, but it might conflict with other rules.

The entire chart is actually a bit misleading, because the Finnish sauna is completely different from the German. The way they’re used aren’t comparable.

In Denmark it was first imported from Finland in the 1970s where people built saunas at home. Most of these are gone by now, because it’s a waste of space in a family house if the family don’t use it. The public pools usually have Finnish saunas, but at too low temperature. Wellness places try to make it better with higher temperatures but at the same time they’ve introduced a lot of the German rituals instead of the Finnish. More recently it has become popular to have winter bathing clubs. They usually buy Canadian barrel saunas. So that’s why the danish sauna situation is a cultural clusterfuck.

• popcorp
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

In Czech Republic & Slovakia it is usually a towel to sit on & being naked. Optionally you can wrap yourself in a larger towel or something like that. Most people respect it, but I did experience one woman being told to not wear swimming suit or leave the sauna area.

How is it in Denmark? I’ve seen beautiful saunas there, where you just jump to the sea to cool down. I NEED TO KNOW!

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

In Finland people are told to not wear swimsuits to sauna not because you absolutely have to be naked but because if you’ve been in a chlorinated pool the chemicals vaporize in the sauna and are harmful to breathe.

• AItoothbrush@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

In hungary from my experience you only wear the towel and no clothes. In some places they even tell you that its mandatory to take it off.

• fololzidos@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Weird, my experience in Hungary was the opposite. No one nude and I think people would have been really weirded out. This was my experience from several thermal baths in the country, although always mixed gender. Maybe if there’s single gender days it may be different.

• Kornblumenratte@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

In the late 16^th century, a German pastor, Salomon Schweigger, accompanied the ambassador of the HRE to Istanbul and wrote an ectensive report about his visit.

One of his examples of (perceived by him) moral superiority of Germans over Turkish culture was, that in Türkiye public baths were single gender with obligatory clothing “to avoid sexual arousal”, while back in Germany men and women were happily sharing the same bath butt naked without being sexual aroused.

So – German Freikörperkultur is far older than it’s name.

• IWantToFuckSpez@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

In the Netherlands towels are optional in single gender saunas, or at least you have to bring one to sit on but you don’t have to cover your self. That’s my experience with men’s saunas though. Not sure how it works in women only saunas.

• MuchPineapples@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I’ve never seen single gender sauna/spa there, although some have ladies only days. Usually it’s mixed and everyone is naked all the time, if they want (if it’s cold out people tend to wear their bathrobes when moving around). And you sit on a towel except in the wet saunas. Swim clothing is not allowed, except on certain days.