The name has been almost permanently ruined. Whenever people hear of it, they always think of no food, 1984, worshipping the leader, getting your entire family arrested for not doing so, all that stuff. And if you say otherwise, they just call you a propagandist who is hiding the truth. And even if Korea’s government does anything like build a water park, people say that it is just to “fool the world into believing they are good”. Like they can’t even build an entire village without people saying that they are just building it to deceive people.

At least China is taken seriously by a lot of people.

• IntoDaLagoon@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Dear angry libs:

The only acceptable opinion for an American to express about the DPRK is contrition for the genocide their government commited there. Anything else will be met with well-deserved mockery.

• Anarcho-Bolshevik@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Why are you being so mean? Do the lives of millions of entrepreneurs, Japanese patriots, American neoliberals, and other perfectly harmless anticommunists mean absolutely nothing to you?

• fire86743@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Holy shit, just realized that the liberals are already here, didn’t expect it to be this fast.

• Parenti Bot@lemmygrad.mlB
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago
      The quote

In the United States, for over a hundred years, the ruling interests tirelessly propagated anticommunism among the populace, until it became more like a religious orthodoxy than a political analysis. During the Cold War, the anticommunist ideological framework could transform any data about existing communist societies into hostile evidence. If the Soviets refused to negotiate a point, they were intransigent and belligerent; if they appeared willing to make concessions, this was but a skillful ploy to put us off our guard. By opposing arms limitations, they would have demonstrated their aggressive intent; but when in fact they supported most armament treaties, it was because they were mendacious and manipulative. If the churches in the USSR were empty, this demonstrated that religion was suppressed; but if the churches were full, this meant the people were rejecting the regime’s atheistic ideology. If the workers went on strike (as happened on infrequent occasions), this was evidence of their alienation from the collectivist system; if they didn’t go on strike, this was because they were intimidated and lacked freedom. A scarcity of consumer goods demonstrated the failure of the economic system; an improvement in consumer supplies meant only that the leaders were attempting to placate a restive population and so maintain a firmer hold over them. If communists in the United States played an important role struggling for the rights of workers, the poor, African-Americans, women, and others, this was only their guileful way of gathering support among disfranchised groups and gaining power for themselves. How one gained power by fighting for the rights of powerless groups was never explained. What we are dealing with is a nonfalsifiable orthodoxy, so assiduously marketed by the ruling interests that it affected people across the entire political spectrum.

– Michael Parenti, Blackshirts And Reds

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the admins of this instance if you have any questions or concerns.

• rjs001@lemmygrad.ml
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Absolutely. Those liars will always make ridiculous claims about the DPRK that are so insane it is hard to for me to think that anyone could believe that

• ButtigiegMineralMap@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Saw a vid recently like “hey who’s the better korea guys? Comment down below, smash the like button, become a subscriber” and they give the worst one-sided history where they’re like the North invaded and lost, and now they’re trying to stock up on nukes to invade South Korea and possibly destroy other countries as it builds up its military, so who’s the good guy? The comments were 98% “I’m riding with Team 🇰🇷😎🆒👍” like no shit, they didn’t explain it properly and these people only know about K-Pop and nothing else about Korea

• loathesome𝕏dongeater@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s like you can’t read.

even if Korea’s government does anything like build a water park, people say that it is just to “fool the world into believing they are good”

Clearly this is meant to be an example for twisting anything DPRK does into something sinister.

• Dale@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Please, we are hearing what North Korea is like from people who escaped it as though a prison. They’ve said finding a dead body discarded on the side of the road is a regular occurrence, that the propaganda there is so rampant you never even realize that your “dear leader” is fat until after you leave. When a humanitarian group went to perform cataract surgeries for the blind, they captured footage of the patients literally praying to a picture of Kim Jung Un thanking him for the surgery and promising to work harder in the salt mines.

Seriously, what is your motivation for posting this?

• IntoDaLagoon@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I hear in North Korea, they have no words for love or ice cream, and they make everyone take turns pushing the trains with their feet while overseers hit them with riding crops and yell “yabba dabba doo”.

Truly the most monstrous country

• fire86743@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Seriously, what is your motivation for posting this?

To comment on how paid propagandists have managed to deceive liberals like you into believing that North Korea is an absolute hellhole that lies about everything they say and does ridiculous things but the West totally doesn’t lie because they’re white fReE aNd DeMoCrAtIc!1!1!1!

• Addfwyn@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I lived there for several months while doing research.

The usual line in response to that is “obviously everything you saw was faked!”. I could almost understand that line of reasoning if I were a famous diplomat, but I was a no-name grad student. I seriously doubt I was of such interest to the government that they spent that much effort faking multiple towns, villages, and the entire university I was based out of for months.

I did not see “dead bodies discarded on the side of the road”. Yes, the Kim family is very well regarded considering everything they have done for the people. There’s far more hero worship of other countries’ leaders. Look at how much the British love their monarchy, people were on their knees crying at the recent funeral. The US literally carved busts of their founders INTO A MOUNTAIN. DPRK has extensive mining operations, it is a major industry, but salt is not one of their major mined resources, so you are definitely making that one up.

That’s not to say that there aren’t difficulties to life there, but much like Cuba the vast majority of economic issues that plague the people are the direct result of US-led sanctions. If the US was less dedicated to starving anyone who dared to oppose them, things would look much different.

Please, we are hearing what North Korea is like from people who escaped it as though a prison.

Defectors famously lie. EIther you make patently absurd claims about the DPRK whenever called upon, or you get ostricized/blacklisted. There’s a reason some defectors realise their mistake and try to get back home. Do you honestly think that Kim personally executed musicians, or that people push trains to work every day (instead of…walking?).

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

They’re not allowed in the sea because it didn’t obey when their glorious leader whipped it into submission. Sorry, actually, that might’ve been the English guy, Knut.

• arbitrary@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Do you mind sharing what sort of research / studies you were doing? I wasn’t even aware that was a possibility.

• Addfwyn@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I was writing about east asian security, particularly in regards to DPRK/South Korea. I was in grad school studying International Relations (specifically International Security) at the time. I am based out of Japan but I spent some time in SK and DPRK both for the research.

It was a while ago, so I am honestly not very confident that if I were writing the same paper today if I would be able to.

• non-diegetic screams@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

we are hearing what North Korea is like from people who escaped it as though a prison.

Are those people paid for that testimony?

• loathesome𝕏dongeater@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

the propaganda there is so rampant you never even realize that your “dear leader” is fat until after you leave

Meanwhile in real life:

The Kims looking ripped AF 💪💪💪

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

What do people who escape western prisons have to say about their countries?