Plenty of Todds and Kylies for gen x

• Fake4000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Names that end with en like Kayden, Jayden, and Hayden. Raiden was never part of it unfortunately.

• Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Used to work in a fairly high end ski hotel. In February we would get dozens of little kids all going for ski lessons. I used to label their skis so they wouldn’t get mixed up, but I always had to also ask the surname so I could write “Olivia T, Olivia M, Emily P, Olivia B, Emily H, Emily S” then start on the boys “Tom D, Tom A, Oliver G, Tom J, Oliver H…”

Also when someone asked me to get their luggage from the car - “It’s a black Audi”

You don’t fucking say. Which of the ten black Audis is it, Oli?

• flubba86@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Don’t get me started on the number of Toms, Olivers, and Olivias at my daughter’s school.

When these kids start working in offices, is going to usher back in the day of calling all co-workers by their surname “Hey Jonson, I have that report for you from Smith. Thanks Brown.”

I think they used to do that back in the 70s and 80s because everyones firsnames were all James, and Peter.

• tiredofsametab@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Apparently, looking at a government website:

Jennifer Jessica Amanda Sarah Melissa

Michael Matthew Jason Christopher Joshua

And this 100% lines up with my classmates’, friends’, and family members’ names.

• PrinceWith999Enemies@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

I’m so sorry and that’s lovely, in that order.

The Ada programming language being named after Ada Lovelace was like if they named the MS Explorer version of JavaScript “Turing.”

• AtmaJnana@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Can confirm: 80 year old names are back in fashion. Every other kid in kindergarten is an Ada, Amelia, (the rest are Bryden, Jaelynn, etc.)

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m born in '78. In Poland I had several Krzysztof in my class, in Germany Daniela and Andreas.

• shyguyblue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

There were already two, Michael last initial and Mike last initial in my English class that i had to go by last name.

• shyguyblue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

There was nothing wrong with it, until I was about 12 years old, when that no talent ass clown started winning Grammys…

• brokenlcd@feddit.it
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

In my class there where two loosely related cousins with the same name and surnames; we went with name and birth year to differentiate them

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Brandon, Ryan, and Aaron for guys, Christine, Sarah, and Kat for girls. Kat gets more of a mention here because it’s a short version of Kate which is a short version of Kathy which is a short version of Katherine. And when you combine those, that’s like 50% of every generation.

Wait, Gen X had all the Kylies? That sounds characteristically Gen Y/Z.

• livus@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Probably late Gen X. Kylie was popular in Australia but went global with Kylie Minogue in Neighbours.

• subspaceinterferents@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Guess when I was born… Went to school with James, William, Dan, John, Joseph, David, Elizabeth, Lisa, Margaret, Debbie, Carolyn, Bonnie, Susan, Karen, Michael, and Peter. Most of the Karens I knew were nice people. They don’t deserve the bad rap.

• sylphrin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Millennial here, I’ve noticed a lot of Stephanies, Sams, Alexes, Chloes, and Michelles. Matthew seemed like a particularly popular one - at one point we had 3 Matthews in the same class (about 25 students), and I had 2 Matthews in my immediate friend group in college.

Edit: Rachel/Rachael was another common one, had a couple of those in my friend group at one point too

• MamboGator@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Also a millennial and I had five Matts in my class in college out of about 30 students.