Thankfully Jonathan was able to take it to an independent repair shop for a $75 CAD adhesive fix (and battery replacement?) despite Apple’s restrictions against them.

• antidote101@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Boycott Apple. Like they got you, they’ve tricked you into using whatever hardware of theirs you own…but that doesn’t mean you have to buy Apple next time.

• Johnpwrinkle@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I’ve been using Apple for seven-eight years. I left android because of poor update support from the major manufacturers. I don’t want to go back to android because Google has moved to being primarily an advertising company. Any suggestions for an alternative?

• Noxy@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

GrapheneOS is really solid. You can use a Google Pixel with absolutely no Google spy shit on it and still have a great experience just by slapping GrapheneOS on it.

I went from shoulder-deep in Apple’s walled rectum to 100% Apple free and GrapheneOS on a Pixel 5 was the first step I took. Haven’t lpoked back at all.

• Johnpwrinkle@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I love the idea of being able to disconnect enough for dumb phones to be an option. Unfortunately, I need to have access to email/chat and a specific mfa app for work

• rdyoung@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

Android isn’t all Google. You can degoogle by installing different versions of Android just like there are different versions of Linux. Grab a pixel 6 or 7 and install graphene. There are alternatives to play store like fdroid, your mfa app should still work.

• xlash123@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

If you don’t mind doing some tinkering, look at LineageOS. They support a large variety of phones and even provide updates beyond the original manufacturer. For example, I use the OnePlus 7T, which officially only supports up to Android 12, but LineageOS supports Android 14 now. The flashing process is well documented, and you should be able to get through it with only the knowledge of running commands in a terminal.

They do support Google apps by default, but if you’re feeling extra, you can install Lineage for MicroG instead, which replaces the core Google services with an open source one that mimics the original with much better privacy. Most apps do work with it, although sometimes it can break things, such as embedded maps and paid apps that check for licensing. I find that most of my apps can be replaced with open source alternative on F-Droid (an open source exclusive app store) that either are compatible with or don’t require MicroG.

I’ll also mention GrapheneOS. It’s another privacy Android OS with some distinct features. It only works on Google Pixel phones, but it is much easier to install (it uses a Web GUI and automates a lot of the process). It’s killer feature is the ability to run Google services in a sandbox, meaning that Google doesn’t have superuser permissions on your entire phone, just in that sandbox. So put all your Google-required apps in there, and Google can’t touch anything outside of it. I haven’t actually used GrapheneOS, so please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

End of article. I hope this wasn’t too overwhelming.

Edit: One more OS I should mention is /e/OS (yes, the name sucks). It tries to be like Apple, both in interface and provided services, although it doesn’t force you to use their services like Apple. It’s based on LineageOS, although they do more work than them to remove Google stuff, including using MicroG. This is the one I use, but I am considering switching because it’s been kinda buggy for my device specifically. They provide a GUI installer.

• LordKitsuna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Oneplus, they have pretty good hardware. They support their devices for a pretty good amount of time, and the development Community for those phones is extremely strong. Even if one plus abandons you for some reason you can just get lineage OS almost guaranteed.

• And009@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Anything android that has lineage or similar community support. It’s not the same but you won’t have your balls getting squeezed by apple

• lntl@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

my dad is 64.

last week when i spoke to him, he told me he broke the screen on his iPhone. he told me that he called a fixit place and they wanted $100 for the repair

man that he is, he went on eBay and bought a screen repair kit and did it himself

• Dojan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Honestly. At this point trying to save the environment is too late, but it would be nice now that some politics are finally heading in that direction, if this anti-repair bullshit would be legislated out of existence.

Add a cost on carbon emissions, and fine companies that manufacture things that aren’t designed to be repaired.

If I buy something, I ought own it and have the final say with who does what with my property. I don’t care if Samapplesoftabet decides that they don’t like it, if they want so much control over my thing they should buy it back from me.

• NocturnalMorning@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It’s not too late to save the environment. This is a defeatist attitude that has no place I’m the fight. If you don’t try, then you can’t save shit. We are by no means past the point of no return.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Oh no, I don’t deny climate change. Quite the opposite, I think we’ve done way too little way too late for it to truly matter.

I just think the collapse of society due to decades of unsustainable consumption and frankly ridiculous thinking is inevitable. Year on year companies strive for infinite growth and the majority economical system promotes it?

At this point I’m simply past caring. It’s incredibly sad that the people that will be hit first are those that already don’t have much, but there’s nothing I can do.

It’s fine though. I’m not planning to be around long enough to see things go to hell anyway.

• JohnDClay@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

But saying we can’t do anything about it is still denial that we should. I think our action now and in the coming years determines if millions or billions of people die. So there’s a lot riding on what action we take, even though it might seem hopeless.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Oh yeah. Absolutely. It’d be amazing if the powers that be got their arse in gear and actually did shit. I’ll keep walking everywhere, reusing plastic bags, and not travelling like I’ve always done, but it won’t save the planet.

We need extreme fees on carbon emissions, and all the nuclear, solar, hydroelectric, and wind power we can get, and we need them twenty-thirty years ago.

• pop@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

If you haven’t noticed, these posts that steer the discussion in another direction are always attempt to defuse the blame. If you’ve ever been on reddit, you’ll notice people trying really hard to shift blame, change goal posts, point fingers. And they’re always highly upvoted.

It’s social media PR management 101. You just need a bot farm and you can bet every marketing company does this for anyone that pays.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

We don’t actually know if this is the case or not.

The recent IPCC Sixth Assessment Report states that there’s high confidence that the equilibrium climate sensitivity (how much the temperature will rise long-term if a doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide occurs) lies between 2.5-4C, with a best estimate being 3C. Several models predict a higher sensitivity than that, 4+, and have been disregarded for being too extreme and not aligning with historical data.

The major difference between these hotter models compared to the older ones is in the way they model cloud processes and their effect on the overall climate system. So, recent claims have been made that historical climate data is compatible with the hotter models (specifically an ECS of 4.8 ± 1.2C) when taking these new cloud models into account.

Which basically means that all our worst-case scenarios for climate change might actually be too optimistic, and we should be doing significantly more than we actively are right now.

The thing is, the things we need to do are costly, diminish quality of life, and won’t be directly beneficial to the economy. We’re going to have to sow proverbial trees whose shade we’ll never sit under. Going by historical data, that won’t happen. We’ve known that carbon dioxide affects the climate since the 1800s. We’ve known that humanity’s extreme carbon emissions have an effect on the climate since the early-mid 1900s. We’ve done fuck all about it.

We might only have a couple of decades before the area around the equator becomes more or less uninhabitable. What do you think will happen when billions of climate refugees travel north in search of succor?

• a4ng3l@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Now how can you dare go against the narrative ? That’s not going to get you any internet points or something…

And you’re right, complaining or doom complacency isn’t going to save anyone…

• NocturnalMorning@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I don’t care about internet points. I want to save our planet and stop the 6th mass extinction that’s underway from including humans, and nearly everything on it.

It’s not too late.

• a4ng3l@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

Well yes that’s my point but it seems my sarcasm flew above you…

I think though that the prevalent doom attitude -exhibited by the poster above- isn’t going to save anyone.

• TastyWheat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I used to work at a place that sold Fruit shit. I remember at the time how they all had raging boners about the environment, but everytime I needed to restock something like Earpods, they were individually wrapped in their own plastic bag so that dust may not besmirch the holy Fruit product. At the end of the day our rubbish bins were full of tiny little plastic bags.

Fucking hypocrites.

• Coreidan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Ya but fooling you into thinking they are green makes them more money, so in the end they don’t care about being hypocrites since they got your money already

• conquer4@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Yes! Or atleast if I buy a license to a product and you stop supporting it, remove it from my library, etc. Then you must return my money or provide the same product alternatively.

• PrimalHero@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

While that is true, some corporations are worse than others. Buying apples products at this point is plainlny stupid.

• And009@lemmynsfw.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

Maybe look into how Nvidia operates. Sometimes there isn’t any free choice

• PrimalHero@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

Yes of course, but you can choose not to buy an apple product because in this case you have a choice.

• And009@lemmynsfw.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                4 months ago

Again, depends on who you ask. I’m a designer who uses an ipad and a macbook pro as a travel work setup.

The ipad has a different input that helps me make more ideas quickly and adobe makes it easy to work on a file using multiple devices. And then it acts as an extended display via wifi or a type c cable which charges the device as well.

Except the iPhone, their products pay for themselves imo.

• PrimalHero@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  4 months ago

I have used android tablets as extended displays without problem.
                  I don’t understand the charging argument all android devices have USB charger.

• spacecowboy@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

I’m not defending anyone. I’m calling you out for being a hypocrite.

I’ll say it again; THEY ARE ALL BAD. It’s not a competition. Calling people stupid for purchasing apple products when your consumption has no meaningful difference makes you look like an idiot.

• PrimalHero@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  4 months ago

Really? So its is the same if a company forces you in a walled garden with a company that lets you install anything. Is the same you pay premium price for product other companies offer half the price. Is it the same that company create tons of electronic waste because they refuse to have a charger that is compatible with other electronic devices?
                  The list can go on and on for crap that apple pulls. So cut the bullshit ok. The only idiot here is the you the apple fan boy who can not see his beloved company being criticised.

• EngineerOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Just make sure you don’t get suckered into buying a new device when the old one is perfectly fixable at third party repair shops or sometimes even by yourself.

• ThirdWorldOrder@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

I buy parts that I need from ifixit. Not paying Apple to replace batteries. Should prob clarify that I have a full set up smart home and use HomeKit because it’s the least intrusive of the other options I’ve found. Used to use Alexa but it was dogshit.

• Pringles@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

The watch is made in a highly automated environment with super cheap labor. The repair is done by somebody earning a multitude of that labor. Not condoning this in the slightest, but I can understand the economics behind it.

• EngineerOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

The economics behind it is that if they can make you buy a new one, they make more money than if you repair it.