• ImplyingImplications@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I applied for a warehouse job and the interviewer loved me and my resume and said I was hired, I just had to fill out a basic literacy test. I was studying at university so it was a silly thing to ask but he said it’s just a formality; they have to do it.

One question said “describe yourself in three sentences”. I wrote something like “I am very punctual. I enjoy stacking boxes. I’m a self starter. I always do more than asked.” Get it? It’s four sentences but they asked for three. The fourth one being about doing more than asked. Funny right?? Yeah the interviewer called me back saying head office didn’t find it funny and I was disqualified for failing the literacy test.

I figured I dodged a bullet because it must suck to work for a bunch of people without a sense of humour!

• ExFed@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

There are only two hard problems in distributed systems: 2. Exactly-once delivery 1. Guaranteed order of messages 2. Exactly-once delivery.

Martin Fowler has a pretty good collection of these.

• LesbianLiberty [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Come on, that’s objectively funny, and if someone was properly manager-brained they’d just think “Ah, squeeze some more outta that one”. Lame behavior on every front

• tyo_ukko@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I think they wanted people who follow orders to the dot, not people who have a sense of humor. Sounds like a terrible place to work, but I still understand their reasoning.

• lagomorphlecture@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Those people would have also fired you for failing the question because you weren’t fired, you just weren’t hired. I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to have a sense of humor but they’re basically saying you’re illiterate because you can write 4 sentences instead of 3, instead of just being honest about the fact that they’re gonna micromanage you and they can already see it won’t work out because you don’t follow stupid rules to the letter.

• jbrains@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Maybe writing two sentences would have been more than asked, since it would have been more concise. Who knows. I’m sorry that happened to you.

• ExLisper@linux.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They simply decided that intelligent person will get super bored in this position and will not perform well.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

If return-to-office announced at an all-company at my work, I’m putting in my two weeks in the chat and on our all-company slack channel.

My place isn’t shitty enough to do that (I hope) but I’ve got a lil write-up in the works to copypaste immediately in the event they are. I’m curious as to if it would inspire anyone else to leave, too.

I hope you don’t have to go back to the office, but you’re exceptionally based if you refuse.

• FartsWithAnAccent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I shit all over the manager (figuratively) in front of everybody after one of their outbursts.

Full disclosure: This was at a fast food restaurant I applied for a job at with the intent of fucking with 2 of the shittiest managers I’ve ever witnessed after stopping for a burger one time. Did it on a whim and it was quite a bit of fun. 10/10, would recommend. Plus, I got paid to do it.

• TheWeirdestCunt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I told my boss that I was going to have to reduce my hours back to weekends only because college was starting back up again which meant I couldn’t do week day shifts, so they put me down for two mid week shifts and didn’t tell me about them, then they used that as an excuse to fire me.

• frozen@lemmy.frozeninferno.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m not a lawyer, but that sounds like classic “constructive dismissal”, which qualifies for unemployment in most states. Of course, you’d have to fight for it, which as a college student, would’ve probably been too expensive and time-consuming. Sorry about the shit boss.

• TheWeirdestCunt@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

(Replying from alt instance cause main one is down)

I’m in the UK and it was a dodgy cash in hand job at a chippy with no actual contract, so I didn’t really have any way to fight against it if I had wanted to keep the job anyway.

Even if I had a way to fight against it I was technically too young for the job and my car didn’t have the right insurance to do it because of that so I didn’t want any extra attention. I got through the college year and got decent grades though so it all worked out alright in the end.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Pretty sure they’d get rejected for unemployment (at least in my state) as you’re required to have open availability in order to get it.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I had several bosses like that until my favorite boss of all time. We worked retail in a college town and so she expected this. Every semester she would sit us down and have us write out our availability for the new semester, and then she would give us all set schedules. It made everyone’s lives so easy.

Managers like yours are just lazy and can’t plan ahead, it’s such an avoidable problem if you plan just the tiniest bit

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Not actually fired, but I just resigned from a relatively high paying career position without something lined up.

I work in tech, and some parts of that market are very much in flux due to AI disruption. For this company it led to a shuffle and, in my opinion, a lot of people ending up in roles they shouldn’t be in.

A few things happened during that shuffle. First, I was overlooked for a promotion that otherwise seemed in the bag (to the point where others were equally confused). Ultimately the person who ended up as my boss really should not be where they are. They don’t understand the business and started making other bad decisions without even consulting the team of experts on hand. In fact, they apologized to me for “starting off on the wrong foot”, but the damage was largely done, and they kept making really bad calls anyway – calls which put the team constantly at risk and kept things very inefficient.

And yes, of course they are good friends with the new CEO.

That exacerbated a lot of issues we already had with constantly juggling tasks and chronic understaffing. After that promotion snub, plus being one of the few really holding things together anyway, I realized that the stress of the position entirely outweighed the stress of finding another job. Obviously I also felt like upward mobility was no longer a thing. I was dreading work every morning. I started to get really bad anxiety. I wanted to find something else, but my mental state was such that I didn’t have the drive to seek alternatives or interview while also working at this place. I asked to reduce my weekly workload for a while, and when it wasn’t working too well, I asked to go on leave to try and combat the burnout. New boss was instantly waffling on approval, so I felt I had no other realistic option but resignation.

My wife and I are in a pretty secure financial position, and she’s got her own job that is going well. It is the first time in my life I have resigned from a position without anything lined up, which admittedly does feel weird. Taking some time for better mental health, then to hone a few skills, then will be returning to market.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I had a panic attack at work and a coworker heard me cursing through tears.

In fairness, I’m sure hearing variations on “fuck damn ass piss shit fuck fuck” over and over was annoying.

• iByteABit [he/him]@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

How trash of a person must you be to

1. see someone at work having an obvious panic attack and instead of helping, “giving them out” (if it can even be called that in this case) to your boss

2. fire someone after the previous cunt told you about a coworkers panic attack

I hope both of them learn what it feels like to be human someday and they won’t be able to sleep for it

• lagomorphlecture@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The unwritten rule of unlimited PTO is like 2 weeks max but you’re gonna get the side eye if you even take that much. It’s just a scam because most people use less when it’s ‘unlimited’ and because depending on local laws they may have to pay you out for it in the event of separation of employment if it’s accrued.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I have a company that truly does mean unlimited PTO (with some rules of like okay come on don’t take 2 months off in a row or something crazy regularly), but I admit that is not the norm

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Oh I do, and it’s failing! Because of course it is! I expect them to be out of business within the year. (Currently job hunting and no matter what it’s going to be a step backwards back into corpo America)

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Sorry to hear that. The biggest downside of unlimited PTO is that you aren’t owed any PTO. So if you quit or they go out of business, you don’t get anything paid out like you normally would.

• HerrLewakaas@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

You mind sharing what they do? It’s a bummer they’re failing, there need to be more companies that try new things like unlimited pto. I’d love to just go on a hike spontaneously without having to feel bad

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Bug in the new point-of-sale software that the managers couldn’t fix caused a small (under $200) sale to not process correctly. Was terminated for money mismanagement. Mgmt was so incompetent that they lost one of their best sellers, and ended up paying me unemployment through the lockdown because they couldn’t defend the termination to the unemployment office.

• KingJalopy @lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Send me the fucking jail for the paperwork I signed saying I wouldn’t do it again. Lol.

• Hazzia
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Yeah unfortunately anonymity doesn’t really work when you essentially dox yourself to exactly the people you don’t want finding out about it by listing your exact circumastances and the exact same picture you originaly posted. If anyone previously involved happens across the post, they’ll know exactly who it is.

• SharkEatingBreakfast@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I finally made a vague comment pushing back against my boss’s fucking unhinged conspiracy theories and shitty beliefs after being forced to hear him spout it for nearly a year.

“Wow, Wayne. I thought you were against the government regulating what people should do with their bodies. Huh… but okay.”

He turned purple, didn’t talk to me for the rest of the day, and never put me on the schedule after that.

Their entire business closed down a few months ago. I feel bad for were the ladies working there & my one co-worker. They were all part of the same church/religion, and they all basically cowered before Wayne. Wayne was an asshole who treated them all terribly. He was just mad that I didn’t let him treat me the same way.

They also didn’t want to give me more than 18 hours per week or raise my pay up from 12$ an hour for the highly specialized job I was doing.

Good riddance, Wayne.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Oh man this the thing that pisses me off so much. It became so abundantly clear during covid. “Stay inside and maintain social distance everyone, while I have my cocktail party chortle chortle

• Default_Defect@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Worst part of this too is when they get COVID and its the most mild case ever, cementing their shitting attitude about it being a “cold at worst.”

• SharkEatingBreakfast@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Nah. This dude literally had a “mysterious heart attack” during the pandemic and never connected the dots. He survived. Literally blamed it on people who were “vaccine shedding”.

Him and his wife also lamented on how many friends of theirs had died during covid, but always found an excuse to blame literally anything else but the pandemic.

Guy went so far as to make fun of a man who came into the shop wearing a mask. The man’s wife was battling cancer at home.

• _TK@lemmy.antemeridiem.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I once was working as an apartment maintenance guy for a property in Colorado. During the interview I made it clear that I wasn’t looking to move into a high responsibility role immediately and that I wanted to spend some time familiarizing myself with some more specific types of repair before going into any sort of management track. The interviewer seemed to like that answer given my previous experience and resume and I was hired.

A few months later, I made a mistake because I was asked to take a tech from the local utility around to every single unit on the property. Originally the property manager told me I’d have three days to do the work, but I was pressured to do it faster so that the tech could make a flight to his next job. We were installing batteries in water meters, which required the unlocking and opening of water heater closets on resident balconies. The residents did not have a key to their closet and were not allowed access. The closets did not use doorknobs either. They were held shut by the deadbolt locks. That night a storm rolled in. The resident called the on call service complaining that the wind was blowing the door open, but the on-call tech told them to put something in front of the door to keep it shut and that we would be by in the morning to lock the deadbolt. They didn’t do as they were asked and their pipes froze, causing a flood in the unit below them.

Later that day, I was asked to hand over my keys. As I was getting them detached from my personal keys, the property manager told me that she felt that she was “sold a bill of goods” that I hadn’t lived up to and that she had hired me because i had looked like “management track material.” I told her that in the interview with the maintenance manager I said that I wanted a learning experience and that I wasn’t ready for management. I told them I had never lied to them and left the property.

A week later I had applied for and was interviewing for a new job at another property. My phone rang during the interview. I silenced it and apologized to the interviewer but carried on. After the interview I listened to the voicemail that my old boss had left. “When we offered you the job I had you mixed up with someone else. We hired the wrong person.”

• snowe@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My phone rang during the interview. I silenced it and apologized to the interviewer but carried on. After the interview I listened to the voicemail that my old boss had left. “When we offered you the job I had you mixed up with someone else. We hired the wrong person.”

They called you and said that because they were being blamed for something on their end and it was going to make them feel better to say you should never have been hired. They didn’t make a mistake, they’re just trying to make themselves feel better. You did fine and you got a good learning experience while you were at it!

• nelly_man@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I started a job at a regional bank on a team that was responsible for integrating the data from newly acquired banks into their systems. The team was overworked and definitely needed more hands on deck, but they didn’t have time to train anybody new on the process. Aside from that, the organization of the team was pretty poor.

When I started, they seemed unaware that I was supposed to be starting that day, so they didn’t have a desk or anything ready for me. So that first day was a bit of a wash. The second day, they put me at a desk on the floor above the rest of my team. That was also the only time that I met the manager who hired me. It seemed like people mostly forgot about me because I didn’t really get any work assigned until a couple weeks in.

They wanted me to make one of their mapping documents (which appeared to be a SQL statement copied into a Word document with every detail meticulously documented across twenty pages). I didn’t have any idea where to start with it. The next day, they said that there is no way I could do that without training, so they took the assignment away. Over the next couple of months, I’d bring up that I didn’t have anything to work on at every morning meeting. But other than that, I just spent my day editing Wikipedia articles.

Eventually they keyed in on the fact that they were paying me $90k per year to do nothing, so they fired me. They said it was probably their fault for hiring somebody without banking experience. I don’t think banking experience would have helped.

Oh yeah, and the meeting where I was fired was also where I found out that the person firing me was my team lead.

• Steve Anonymous@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The owner was an alcoholic. Her husband sent her to rehab. She came back hating men (both me and her husband). My wife worked for them at the time and we were getting a divorce. She fired me and kept my wife on the payroll

• renlok@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Refused to turn up to an unpaid yet compulsory training session while on my probation period. I think I dodged a bullet.