The Orange County Public Schools system in Florida has announced guidance banning trans students from bathrooms and the use of nicknames.

• Cyder@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

We call my son and daughter by shortened versions of their first names. Both are in High School in OCPS. Today they brought home the forms for us to sign to allow them to go by those shortened names in school. I was shocked.

Perhaps Ronald DeSantis should be forced to get permission from his family inorder to continue to be called Ron.

• shadowSprite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The sad thing is, my brother has a name like “Benjamin”. My mother is a very mentally ill individual and is extremely militant about her children’s names “I chose your names and you will go by exactly what I named you!” and refused to let him go by “Ben” or let us call him “Ben”. Except, outside of the house he always went by Ben, she just didn’t know it. I always called him Ben when we weren’t home, because it’s what he wanted to be called. So kids like this would have to bring a form home and get their ass kicked by mom for going by a name they aren’t supposed to? Fuck that.

• Whichwitch@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

My mom was the exact same way. “If I wanted you to be called that I would have named you that”.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Let’s also not forget Rafael “Ted” Cruz, Leslie “Gerald Ford” King and Donald “Don Jr.” Trump, Jr.

• LadyAutumn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The amount of abject cruelty that is being leveled at trans children in Florida is fucking horrifying. This is legally enforced humiliation and bullying. This alone would have been more than enough to drive me to suicide when I was a child myself. And they are absolutely aware that this will cause that. Ron plans to orchestrate a genocide in Florida. He’s essentially forced every single person, company, doctor, politician, educator, teacher, any professional human being or group of human beings who values human life out of the state. When he’s done all that will remain are the most openly violent fascists and all the people who are too impoverished to leave the state. Of which many such impoverished disenfranchised people are trans children. How such open fascist power has not been internationally condemned and how he himself has not faced expulsion from any political office and faced serious legal actions from the government of the United States is beyond me. I thought world War 2 and the rise of fascism in Europe was supposed to have taught us something. Evidently not.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I know I did the numbers once and if you just lined up the dead combatants from the USSR side head to toe it would cover a distance from NYC to LA multiple times.

Most depressing road trip ever.

• whofearsthenight@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I thought world War 2 and the rise of fascism in Europe was supposed to have taught us something.

They don’t gotta burn the books, they just remove 'em.

WWII might have been the end, but they’ve slowly been worsening education especially in places like Florida. I think at this point, capitalist social media is also a significant cause of the rise in fascism. When Zuck decides to platform holocaust deniers or twitter decides “free speech [for nazis]” it legitimizes it. It doesn’t take much before this translates into real life. You surround yourself online in your little bubble with all of the other crazies (yay Facebook is bringing people together) long enough and it’s nearly impossible not to translate that into the real world.

History is pretty fuckin’ easy to repeat if you don’t know the history.

• Red_October@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Did you know that in the worst case sea level scenario due to climate change, all of Florida will be completely underwater? That means that while the world IS headed toward an inhospitable hellscape, at least we have the silver lining of seeing Florida completely eradicated.

• blue_zephyr@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

You’re not thinking this through. Every Florida man alive will flee to dry land. Florida is a people, not a place.

• Gustephan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

That would entail admitting that climate change is real and that GQP mythos was wrong about something. Based on the way we handled covid, I wouldn’t worry about most floridians migrating due to climate change

• TheDoozer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

So basically deny it’s happening until the water is up to their necks, then start talking about the importance of boats while they drown?

• archonet@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

listen, Florida is more than a set of policy decisions by pudding fingers, Florida is a state of mind.

I assure you, Ohio residents are equally batshit. I live in Erie, PA and deal with them regularly.

• Iusedtobeanadventurer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Did you know that most voters in Florida don’t agree with this shit and that taking glee in the potential eradication of an entire people and their home is exactly the same kind of shit that racists do when they blame all Muslims for terrorism or Hitler and the Nazis did when they targeted a population for their religion (or for simply being related to someone who was a Jew)?

The examples of this “they’re the bad guys” generalism is part of the problem. If you’re really so enlightened, don’t be part of the problem, too, it only alienates more who might be part of solving the problem if they weren’t ostracized over something as stupid as their birthplace or where they choose to live.

• reddithalation@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I mean they voted for the people that do this stuff. Just by nature of how voting works, a majority of them likely agree.

• prole@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

DeSantis won his last election by the largest margin in a Florida election in over 40 years

If this isn’t what people there want, they’ve got a very strange way of showing it.

• jimbo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

“Floridian” is not “a people” in the sense you’re trying to use the word (I mean, really, comparing them to the Jews, lol). If someone wants to stick around while the ocean slowly swallows up the panhandle, that’s their business.

• blazera@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Aha i remember when conservatives claimed to be the party of small government.

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That was when they were just psychopathically neoliberal and “small government” was code for “we want gut regulations so corporations can put formaldehyde in milk again”.

Which they’ll still do of course, it just won’t win them elections these days. So they pander to bigots to make up the numbers.

cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s extra ironic because conservatives want you to believe that people are somehow forcing them to use certain pronouns, but they’re the only ones passing fascist laws that dictate what pronouns you’re required to use.

cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

You’d think that half the population of Florida is trans with the disproportional amount of effort the gremlins in charge undetake to inflict cruelty on them.

When are the people of Florida going to put their precious second amendment rights to good use?

• MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Grrr. “Call people what they ask you to call them.” is not supposed to a difficult aspect of the Golden Rule to understand.

• PrincessLeiasCat@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Under the guidance, published Monday (7 August), teachers at schools in Orange County must use pronouns and titles that correspond to their “biological sex” at birth, and parents must fill out a form to let teachers know of any deviation from their child’s legal name, even if this is a simple nickname.

So if the governor of Florida was subjected to this “guidance”, he would need permission to go by Ron.

• Decoy321@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is so ridiculously out of touch. You think they’re gonna stop kids from using nicknames?

• NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

At this point I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear that Florida had switched to using human skulls as a currency.

• x4740N@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

It and the rest of america’s dystopian history makes me think america would have been better if they lost the revolutionary war and later gained independence peacefully like Australia for example

I am serious about this opinion

• darthfabulous42069@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

It wouldn’t have. The American Revolution inspired revolutions in 60 other countries, including the French, Haitian and Mexican revolutions, and it’s what helped kickstart modern-day democracy in much of the world for that fact. Had the U.S. lost, it would have forever cemented the idea that the crown is all-powerful, beyond reproach, and the only way to get anything in life is to kiss the ring.

No matter how evil the U.S. turned out to be, the way it began will always be its true importance imo.