• Tiger Jerusalem@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Tab Stash people, its the perfect extension for tab hoarders like me. It saves and closes all your opened tabs as bookmarks with a single click, and gives you a neat view of everything you saved.

• oleorun@real.lemmy.fanM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Locking this post. Pretty sure everything that’s needed to be said has been said so threads are devolving.

• drathvedro@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

This instance demonstrates Firefox’s memory management capabilities, which put unused tabs to sleep to save memory via Tab Unloading. Mozilla released this feature with Firefox 93 in October 2021

This has been a thing since at least 2012.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

My dad does this, he allways restores his tabs and hardly ever use bookmarks.

I had to help him migrate this shitshow to his new computer, and whenever it breaks he gets really upset.

He likes being able to have access to the history of every tab.

I may be an IT guy but I could not stand doing this.

• FiskFisk33@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

who does that?!

How can it be in any way useful to keep 7000 open tabs?

Has she not heard of bookmarks?

I am thoroughly confused

• SoftwareSlicer@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I have a practical but niche answer to this. This is actually a bit of a wall of text but tldr: Not quite a power-user. Got 1.5k tabs, Bookmarks and Browser history lack proper system and contextual integration, are a poor experience to review, navigate, categorize for me, and many integrations make tabs effortless to work with, group up, and accumulate. Looking a bit into other systems and I can definitely see benefits but what I have works pretty well for me.

I’m not as much of a poweruser but I generally will have between 800 and 1,500 tabs open on my desktop with Floorp which is a Firefox fork with native web app support and a bunch of neat customization features. This is mainly because I find history and bookmarking features to be rather inconvenient to maintain especially for deep internet rabbitholes and complex projects that can have multiple topics or differing levels of priority to reference. Firefox and Floorp allow users to instantly search through their tabs using the search bar and this tends to be very helpful although I also will like to have older versions of websites cached or loaded locally so I can make comparisons, review through collections of tasks and their related segments which I have previously worked on, or see how homepages and different segments of the web have adapted as a whole or personalized for me over time. I can basically have my own pocket of the Internet curated for me which I don’t need to go out of my way to find or maintain.

Now something to note is that it’s a surprisingly efficient process, Most of the tabs themselves don’t need to actually be active in memory with the browser in total generally using less than 8 gigabytes of ram and under 10% of my cpu when active. I have plenty of tab management extensions, Floorp provides a scroll bar at the top for multi-row tabs, Flow Launcher (ridiculously powerful search tool which can be run as a system-wide programmable hotkey.) within Windows has integration both for checking existing tabs and instantly opening new ones. It’s pretty slick except when my browser is first rebuilding after a full reboot as that can take around two minutes to complete from disk.

I think the main thing at least for me is just that other resources and tools (Been looking into the raindrop bookmark manager.) might be more efficient for me to learn in the long run but I tend to be working on dozens of projects at once anyways and actively going out of my way to adapt to a new system like that would be counterproductive in the moment where it counts.

Hope this has been a helpful and insightful look into my process. I could probably attach screenshots or video later although I feel like this is sufficient as-is.

• Brkdncr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

The article explains that she likes to look at tabs in the past as a reminder of something she was interested in.

It’s sort of a snapshot in time. I get it. But hell no I’m closing tabs.

• whereBeWaldo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

Man if only firefox had some kinda feature that you could see your previous activity. Something akin to a history of what you did in the browser.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

I get what you mean, but not that long ago wepages used to hijack your back button by forcing redirects to fill up the history, it is less common today, but endless scrolling sites love filling up your history.

• Glowstick@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

You can bookmark a whole window full of tabs all into a single bookmark folder. It’s called “bookmark all tabs” or something like that. Then later you can open all of them again into a new window using a single button again.

I know the average person isn’t tech savvy, but this loss is almost entirely on themself. If you have 7000 tabs open and it’s important to you that they stay saved, then it’s on you to simply ASK someone if keeping them open is an ok way to do it

• ArbiterXero@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 days ago

This is hoarder behaviour, so I wouldn’t expect it to make sense as a general statement

• Glowstick@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

See my other comment reply above. I don’t know how to get a direct link to a comment on lemmy

• Coreidan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 days ago

Why do you need to “save” a tab? If you’re never going to look at it again what is the point?

I can understand someone who has 20-30 tabs. They’ll probably go back to at least one of them. But 7000??? There is nothing to save it’s an impossible rats nest with zero organization so the likelihood of reopening even one of those tabs is virtually zero. So in this case what’s the purposing of “saving” these tabs?

• Glowstick@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 days ago

Sometimes you actually do go back to those saved tabs. There’s no way to know ahead of time which tabs you’re actually gonna go back to and which you won’t, so it’s perfectly reasonable to save groups of tabs if there was a topic you were researching or whatever. Just save the tabs into a new bookmark folder with a descriptive name so you can find it later.

But with that said, 7000 is way beyond including just the things a person might ever actually want to go back to later.

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

I have 4 virtual desktops, usually each with their own Firefox instance. I still have less than 10 tabs open.

YOU DON’T NEED THAT MANY TABS

• fine_sandy_bottom
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Yeah I don’t really get it but it seems like it’s not that uncommon to have heaps of tabs open. More than 7,000 is obviously exceptional but it checks out - there’s a few users like this in mozilla’s telemetry.

I think it’s basically just concern that you might not be able to find your way back to something you were looking at before. To me that seems irrational but everyone needs to sail their own ship I guess.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

There’s a tool I use at work for administrating Apple devices and it opens about four tabs for every profile you look at. You can quickly stack up to about 50 tabs. Utterly stupid programming.

But I’m not using it I have maybe 12 tabs open at a time.

• Raffster@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

Firefox is not the right Tool for the job. And so many Tabs open? That doesn’t make sense in any concievable way.

• shiroininja@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

I don’t understand people who use a million tabs. Most I’ll have is like ten. And that’s if I’m deep in a problem in a project. I hate clutter

• ky56@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Then you’re really not doing that much research. I can easily open 20 to 50 tabs for just one project. I’m not defending leaving them open. I’ve finally started to address the problem by learning how to take notes. I chose Joplin for this.

Autism/ADHD is a bitch for some things and note taking and writing up research has never just “come to me”.

• shiroininja@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I’m autistic as well and having that many tabs open gives me anxiety. I mainly code, and when I find a solution I either bookmark it until I can use it, it I use it and then close it. Maybe not immediately, but I try not to have so many open the broader can’t show them in the tab bar. Because it gets really disorganized after that

• towerful@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

The satisfaction of solving an issue, making a note in comments where the fix/solution/documentation came from, then closing the 20 odd browser tabs and being able to move on is great.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

That is fine, the issue is not having 500+ tabs open, but having 500+ tabs persistantly open between sessions

• barsquid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

I’m going to read it later, really! If I make it a bookmark I’d have to organize it now, which is effort.

• refalo@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

some people visit many different sites, continuously throughout the day, and it doesn’t make sense to keep reopening tabs, plus then you forget about it

• stoy@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

That is fine, open as many tabs as you want, but don’t keep a shitload of tabs open between sessions

• cmg@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

ADHD and easier to type a url than open a new tab. People that can maintain a curated tab list… I wish my brain would allow it.

Once a day I close browsers to make sure there’s not some work item I forgot to hit post on.

• Brokenbutstrong@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

In AuDHD and I hate tabs. I’m worse at work but I don’t go over 5 or 6 tabs

I set my important links in the bookmarks tab, and if I need anything else, I hit Ctrl+t, type the first letter, and I’m there 90% of the time faster than sifting for the right tab

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

Unchecked “Show search suggestions ahead of browsing history in address bar results” in Firefox and made this easier for me :)

• mindbleach@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

Screw all those replies amounting to ‘stop having that problem.’

Mozilla has previously bragged about testing how Firefox handles hundreds of tabs. If you feel cramped opening a dozen - my condolences. But get out of our way. We’re using all this RAM we paid for.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

No.

I’m not done with them yet.

I am using this many tabs, after pruning. It’s not just opening everything and closing nothing. 99% get closed in a timely fashion. This is the rest. This is what’s left despite routine passes to weed out what’s no longer relevant enough to get back to.

All of y’all scoffing ‘use bookmarks’ act like a Bookmarks folder thousands of items long would be any more manageable or convenient. Bookmarks don’t even use less RAM since tabs started lazy-loading. Bookmarks also don’t go away when you open them and decide you’re done. You have to find it in the big dumb list to open it, do whatever, and then find it in the big dumb list to remove it. God help you if we’re talking about a group of tabs instead of exactly one page.

There used to be this perfect plugin called Read It Later. You’d click the icon and the tab would go onto a list, and opening it from that list would remove it. This did exactly what I wanted until it became Pocket and enshittified into a cloud service. And then Mozilla forced that cloud service on everyone by bundling its “recommendation” spam into the goddamn browser, forcibly uninstalling the old version I was still using.

I have been using Firefox since before it was called Firefox. I don’t care if you use it differently from me. Extend the same courtesy.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

The issue is not about having a lot of tabs open, the issue is when people expect their tabs to be open between sessions.

Open 427362728 tabs if you want, but don’t expect them to open on restarting the session

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

Would you spit this at someone annoyed that all their bookmarks got deleted? Because restored tabs don’t take much more storage or memory than that. And if you don’t expect your computer to remember those kilobytes of information, buy a better computer.

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

I’ll say it again - anyone who needs (or let’s be honest, thinks they need) hundreds of thousands of open tabs has something wrong with their brain and should probably see a professional about it.

• viking@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Nope, according to the article, someone told her how to restore the tabs from the session file.

• YourPrivatHater@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

Yeah i know, Firefox should send you a pop-up with the location of the nearest psychiatrist when you open more than 100 tabs…

• Zier@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

Did you know that Firefox has this cool new option (spoiler: it’s not new), that lets you bookmark websites into folders and when you click on that folder from your toolbar it says “Open All in Tabs” at the bottom of the list. BAM! Tabs restored.

• Classy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

You could also tie this folder and command into a Terminal command in Linux, so you could just type “psychosis” and it will open Firefox with 7,470 tabs open if you’d like.

I’m sure this will cause your laptop to explode, but that’s a downstream issue.

• Zier@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

How is that person’s Firefox not crashing with that many tabs opening. These people are knob heads!