• spizzat2@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Well, you could do the 31st of April, but it seems the universe disagrees with your date format.

• Alabaster_Mango@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

They could be from Canada too. We’re in that fun zone of being mostly Oxford/metric/DMY, but due to proximity and history we still use a lot of Webster/imperial/MDY. My dad is from the past so he speaks in Fahrenheit but calls it “English”. Send help.

However, saying “July 23rd” feels more natural and efficient to me than “The 23rd of July”. That translates to me writing 07/23 over 23/07. To each their own though, I’m not gonna harsh any mellows over date formatting.

• Mrs_deWinter@feddit.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Coming from somewhere with the format the other way around, we do indeed say “23rd July” without all that extra fluff. So exactly the same efficiency wise. We simply count days like we’d count other stuff. For example I definitely didn’t had my coffee fourth just now.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

But “Coffee fourth”/“fourth coffee” and “23rd July”/“July 23rd” are different things. I don’t think it’s a good comparison.

With the coffees you are counting how many you’ve had. The thing being counted is explicitly stated in the phrase.

With dates, you are not counting the number of July’s. This isn’t my 23rd July, but the 23rd day of this July. The thing being counted is only implied by colloquial understanding.

So yes, “coffee fourth” doesn’t work, but that doesn’t have much bearing on how to say a date in my opinion

• Mrs_deWinter@feddit.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

You’re right, but the same must be said for July 23rd. Both are abbreviating “day in the month of july” to a simple mention of the month.

At the end of the day both work, both are equally efficient, and simply come down to habit.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Yeah, that’s my thinking too. English, and language in general, is very fluid. Different regions will have different colloquialisms, and even different dialects of the same language. So long as we all understand what is meant does it really matter all that much how it was said?

• idiomaddict@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

“Cup of coffee” is a mess of a phrase if you start to actually think about it. In English, it’s genitive; in German, it’s accusative; in Spanish, it’s nominative.

• GlennMagusHarvey@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

as if my Florida Man posting didn’t already give it away :P

that said I have learned to prefer YYYY-MM-DD for all my cataloguing needs on computer because it sorts far more easily

• death_to_carrots@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

How about March Fourteenth as “American PI-Day” and 22.07. as “international, sensible and widely understood PI-Day”, each according to the used date format?

• superkret@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Fun fact: 355/113 = 3.14159…
    Close enough to pi so that using it for calculating the earth’s circumference from its diameter is accurate to within 3 meters.

• Michal@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

That’s nice and helps remember it’s 22/7. Americans can have their 14th of March, and let 22/7 be the international pi day.

• Zip2@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Some very confused Americans trying to remember the names of the 13th - 22nd months.

• SkunkWorkz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago
      1. Undecimber
      2. Duodecimber
      3. Tredecimber
      4. Quattordecimber
      5. Quindecimber
      6. Sedecimber
      7. Septendecimber
      8. Duodevigintiber
      9. Undevigintiber
      10. Vigintiber
  • xx3rawr@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

But Pi Day doesn’t end with the day. There can be Pi Hour, Pi Minute, Pi Second, Pi Milisec…

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

A man with an assault rifle at an island killing 77 people, many bellow 18, kinda ruined pi-approximation day in Norway.

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Absolutely, but acquiring a weapon legally is a process involving the police and requires a sensible intent (like hunting, sports or defense against polar bears) and an approved safe storage. While there are a lot of weapons in Norway, it’s very heavily regulated.

With that said, the terror in Norway was performed with a firearm which was obtained legally with approval from the police, so the system is far from perfect.

• meliaesc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

What an oddly specific trigger. I’m sure 3/14 has a tragic past somewhere too. 🤔

• Damage@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

From the wiki:

2019 – Cyclone Idai makes landfall near Beira, Mozambique, causing devastating floods and over 1,000 deaths.
        2021 – Burmese security forces kill at least 65 civilians in the Hlaingthaya massacre.

• JokeDeity@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It’s recent enough that it still haunts the people of the country. It’s also not an every day occurrence like in America.

• lennivelkant
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I was looking for you. Or someone like you. Or someone other than you.

I need a Tau advocate and you got the job.

• bluewing@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I have a Daughter who was born on Pi day. When she was little. she would tell you it’s the second most important day, right after Christmas. Pi Day actually became a school wide fun day because of her, (small rural schools can be fun that way). We would bring a couple of pies for her math class to celebrate. Oddly, she much prefers a strawberry cheese cake for her birthday over pies.

I suspect she will NOT allow the change…

• bluewing@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Cheese cake is either a custard or Tart depending on ingredients. But it’s not a pie.

• shastaxc@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Not very odd. It’s traditional to use a cake for bday instead of pie.

• bluewing@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

But not for Pi Day. Having taught classrooms how to calculate Pi by tossing “frozen hot dgos” and literally timing the period of the swing of an apple pie suspended from the ceiling, it’s pies or nothing!