Kelly over Shapiro for me, but I’d prefer AOC for the lulz and the win.

• MerrySkeptic@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I’d pick Kelly over Shapiro, though admittedly I’m way more familiar with Kelly than Shapiro. Having two former AGs on the ticket seems redundant. America loves astronauts and Kelly has personal experience with the issue of gun violence. Any sympathy Trump tries to get with his assassination attempt can be immediately countered. “Oh, your ear was grazed? My wife was literally shot in the head and had to relearn basic tasks. But do go on…”

• Baron Von J@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I think you make a valid point about 2 AGs on one ticket. But it would pretty ludicrous for the Republicans to spin the “party of law and order” while running a convicted felon against two former attorneys general.

In general terms, I would prefer to have a Governor as the VP pick, rather than a Senator. We have such a thin “majority” in the Senate, jeopardizing it right now seems reckless.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m from PA, and I’ve followed Shapiro’s career for a bit. He’s OK. A bit bland, maybe? Like I don’t think he has the energy rally a following for a national campaign on his own. Almost like Klobuchar in that respect. Then again, PA is a fairly good cross section of the US population in terms of demographic disparity, so he’s doing something right. He’s also a bit more moderate than I would like, but he’s not Trump or Vance, so I would absolutely vote for him.

Kelly I don’t know anything about him other than his resume. I’ve never seen him speak, and I don’t know where he stands on issues, but I would vote for him because he’s not Trump or Vance.

• PoopingCough@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t know much about Mark Kelly but if he’s anything like his twin brother Scott he’s likely highly empathetic and environmentally conscious at the very least. I’ve read Scott’s book and from what I understand no one comes back from the ISS without an insane sense of the fragility of our planet and unity of humanity.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Lol I don’t even know his name. Thanks! I’ll check out his book.

Edit: I thought you were joking, but Mark is his name, and he does have a twin named Scott who is also an astronaut. Crazy!

• PoopingCough@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

His book is awesome of you’re interested in space at all. It’s called Endurance and is mostly about him being on the ISS continuously for a year to study the effects on the human body. Mark, as Scott’s twin, was used as a control.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Honestly, I live in PA, and I don’t know that Shapiro locks up PA. He won by running against Trump in 2022, but Trump wasn’t actually campaigning. And his challenger, Mastriano, won the primary because Shapiro ran ads saying Mastriano was Trump’s guy.

There are plenty of Democrats in PA to win PA. But there are also enough Magats to make it close. Then there are the swing voters and single issue voters who want to hear his opinions on issues like fracking and Netanyahu. He might have to swallow some of his policy stances to fall in line, and a lot of people won’t like that. Many of them are residents that voted for him, or stayed home because they didn’t strongly support his opponent. If he flips because those issues poll differently on a national level, it will temper enthusiasm for the guy, and energize his opponents. That could keep the state in play.

• Yawweee877h444@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

He opposes Medicare for all, does not support the green new deal, and he supported expanding oil drilling.

He’s too moderate right for me. If this is what you people support, or you think this is the best tactic to beat trump, then fine. But there’s a lot of support for this guy and I never see any actual substance as to why.

• TipRing@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I think a moderate VP pick from a swing state covers some gaps for a Harris ticket. He could also bring more votes from servicemembers. I wouldn’t necessarily say he would be the best president but he would be good for the campaign.

• MerrySkeptic@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

It’s 100% about beating Trump in swing states. Whoever Harris can get more votes from in those states is who I’d want her to pick. I would love a more progressive pick personally, but that’s not likely to win the swing states.

• SolidGrue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I don’t think I’ll change your mind by saying this, but for the young’uns here? Don’t be like this guy and let perfect be the enemy of good

• aalvare2@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I’d never heard “don’t let perfect be the enemy of good”. Now I’ve heard it twice in one comment thread.

• SolidGrue@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Life, real life, is about compromise and seeking the win-win outcomes. By all means stake out your boundaries and defend them zealously, but remember you live among people with other needs and so some give-and-take is necessary. Perhaps even a little healthy.

You can’t win them all, but you can walk away from most negotiations with something.

• RestrictedAccount@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

If she picks Shapiro, she’s bringing in this huge wedge issue of the Palestinian conflict that she just doesn’t need

• zigmus64@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I don’t know what I was talking about. I must have been replying to the wrong comment. I was talking about Kelly in AZ. I knew Shapiro was governor of Pennsylvania… but good to know where he is in his term. Thanks for the reply.

• OlinOfTheHillPeople@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Kelly’s term is up in 2028. If he leaves the seat, a new Democratic senator would be picked in his place, and a special election would happen in 2026.

• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

The Harris campaign has requested vetting materials from the following potential vice presidential nominee picks:

NC Gov. Roy Cooper

PA Gov. Josh Shapiro

AZ Sen. Mark Kelly

MI Gov. Gretchen Whitmer

MN Gov. Tim Walz

• FrankLaskey@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Agreed, but it’s not gonna happen. Too far left, two demonized by the right and I don’t think they want two women on the ticket. It’s 2024 and sad to say it will still be hard enough to overcome sexism for many voters just for Harris.

• frog_brawler@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Ok between those two, I “like” Kelly the most but Shapiro is the better choice. Don’t give up the senate seat.

• Qkall@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Bruh, for real… Everytime I see it I have a moment of ‘fucking what’ and then an immediate ‘…that’s right…’

• Seasm0ke@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Why does everyone seemingly like Kelly? His voting record is on the right of most other dems, is it just astronaut and good husband optics doing the heavy lifting ?