• pedz@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

That line…

“She fell out of the window of her apartment, unfortunately, it was not possible to save her, the injuries she received were incompatible with life,” the source said.

• Blackout@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Every time I’m near a window I look behind me to make sure a Russian is not there.

• YeetPics@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

That’s what you get for being honest about your economy in Russia.

I wonder if she completed the customary two shots to the back of the head suicide ritual that is all too common with wealthy Russians 🤔

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

So is Russia’s plan at this point just to kill everyone in their country very very slowly?

• ikidd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

They just have to be unpredictable and unexpected. The idea is to have everyone terrified at all times. That is the most efficient scenario for control, as you don’t have to police actual rules if the rules are made up and the consequences are lethal.

This is pretty typical in totalitarian terrorist governments like Russia, NK and past dictatorships like Cambodia, Libya, Chile and Uganda.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The idea is to have everyone terrified at all times. That is the most efficient scenario for control, as you don’t have to police actual rules if the rules are made up and the consequences are lethal.

Doesn’t this method have diminishing returns? As soon as the populace believes anything and everything will get them killed by the state, there’s nothing preventing the populous from rising against the state because they have nothing to lose.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

There’s a balancing point. Most people aren’t really able to process the idea of “they came for my neighbor and I said nothing” and do something about it.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Perhaps, but eventually one member of nearly every family will have been “came for”. At that point it ceases to be a theoretical exercise and becomes a practical reality.

• kautau@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Putin’s plan, and anyone who supports him, but yeah. This is the look of a fascist nation, just kill off anyone who opposes you as the world slowly unifies against your actions until someone in your country kills you, or those you’ve wronged reach your doorstep and you kill yourself. Granted not all fascist nations end up like this, often they have years of terrible reign for their people, it generally only changes when they decide they need more land

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

They need to spice these up, it’s getting repetitive. How about “Pavement suddenly accelerates upwards, killing top Russian economist; police blame window.”

• Simulation6@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Except for children and the elderly, fatal falls from windows are not all that common it would seem. Most places.

• cheese_greater@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I know, I’m asking if this kinda thing was ever occurring in Ukraine prior to the war (people falling out of windows). It seems incredibly Russian

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

The USSR were high on assassinations of their own people if that’s what you’re asking. Obviously it’s not a brilliant strategy because it just means that the people who are the most talented are going to not want to rise to the top or going to want to the rise to the top in other countries.

It’s ultimately self-defeating, which of course is why only Putin thinks it’s a swell idea.

• AmidFuror@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It’s tangential to the war in Ukraine. Russia has been accused recently of reporting false economic numbers to hide the war’s impact.

• fuckingkangaroos@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Agreed, Putin is worried about support at home and also needs people abroad to think Russia is strong and can continue the Kremlin’s barbaric war. The economist didn’t want to cook the books like Putin suggested, so they were murdered.