• neuracnu@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Old school Darkwing Duck fans really owe it to themselves to check out the most recent Duck Tales animated series. It is very much made with the folks who grew up with the 1990s Disney Afternoon in mind, with many out-of-canon cameos that will make you smile and an outstanding voice cast (lead by David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck).

It’s also very clear that the creators were begging to make a Darkwing Duck reboot all along, but Disney wouldn’t let them, so they just crammed him into the show anyway.

• Aa!@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Pretty sure Darkwing Duck was part of the Disney Afternoon, and showed after school on weekdays

• shundi82@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Me back in 1990 every Sunday at 4:30 AM:

“Wings of silver, nerves of steel… (Silverhawks!) Partly metal, partly real… (Silverhawks!) Soaring through the highway of the heavens in their flight, SilverHawks, a rainbow in the night!”

https://youtu.be/M0MsPABRHCM

• lemmyng@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Together with ThunderCats and BraveStarr. And Exosquad. And Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. And Attack of the Killer Tomatoes…

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I preferred the Nickelodeon lineup myself. Rugrats, Doug, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Angry Beavers, and Pete & Pete.

Then on Sunday morning it was two hours of MST3K on The Sci Fi Channel

• 🇰 🌀 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

**I feel bad for Zoomers. They never even had Saturday morning cartoons. They barely have any good cartoons geared toward children.

It’s actually a bit ironic that some law preventing cartoons being made exclusively to sell merch, like Transformers or TMNT, just stopped good cartoons from being made. We would have still watched these even if they didn’t sell any toys cuz they kicked ass all by themselves.

• FiniteBanjo@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

More of a Duck Dogers Dude personally, but I admit the importance of Darkwing Duck and Ducktales as a whole.

• J'Pol @lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’ve always heard us being referred to the Duck Tales generation, but this tracks. Born early enough to skin your knees on a Big Wheel in the 80’s, but only after Gen X had skateboards.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Not to mention playgrounds that still had merry-go-rounds, splintery wood structures, and flesh-searing steel slides. We had it so good.

• J'Pol @lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I broke my wrist on one of those slides!

My jacket caught on the top loop and I flew off. I was maybe 6.

• ChronosTriggerWarning@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

We had a slide like that in elementary school, except it had dual slides. You’d climb up the center and go either left or right, and it was two HUGE metal spiral slides. One day, 8y/o me thought it’d be a grand idea to take a roll of wax paper and hand it out at the top of the stairs. 20 minutes later, I’m in the principals office, explaining why i did what i did, as kids are flying of of the top of each slide in the background…

Good times.

• Rexelpitlum
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

We still have one of those on a near playground. And actually my kid’s favorite one… 😆

• J'Pol @lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

This isn’t a great representation of the old ones. They had multiple panels of aluminum all the way down that would scrape and burn you in the sun xD

• marcos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

“And none of that killed me”

Says older person that had at least one friend die from some of that on their infancy.

When my parents pull that line, I have to make an effort not to laugh. But at least I’m aware enough to not say it to kids nowadays.

• Rexelpitlum
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

But Wil Wheaton has been born in 1972, so basically is prototypical GenX per definition.

This should rather be a photo of e.g. Cirroc Lofton, aka Jake Sisko…

• Mango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

This is not the meinhof baader phenomena… I was just showing a coworker some darkwing duck stuff yesterday…