• lone_faerie@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

I feel like a more accurate (though much less catchy) name for this community would be !fuckcarcentricsociety. Cars are awesome! They’re fun to drive, feats of engineering, and in the right conditions like a rollercoaster without tracks. They just fucking suck when they’re practically required to live. I’m as big a proponent for public transit, you shouldn’t need a car to get to your job or grocery store, but you can’t look at something like F1 and say that’s not exhilarating.

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 minutes ago

Something that NotJustBikes brings up in one of their videos is that the Netherlands’ incredibly bike- and public transit-oriented infrastructure makes driving a car (for those who want or need it) much more pleasant as well.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

but you can’t look at something like F1 and say that’s not exhilarating.

strong disagree. perhaps in the 60s and 70s - before we understood that ICE was spewing carbon dioxide and ruining the ecosystem sure.

Today? F1 is a fucking travesty - rich assholes burning crazy amounts of fuel to speed around in circles taking more from future generations every fucking lap.

If it were all electric powered by renewable resources harvested nearby I’d have less of an issue, but anything combusting is a giant middle finger to your own children. “Sorry skippy, even we knew, we still didn’t give a fuck to stop the silly games.”

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 minutes ago

Today? F1 is a fucking travesty - rich assholes burning crazy amounts of fuel to speed around in circles taking more from future generations every fucking lap.

While I don’t disagree that spectating races is boring, the amount of CO2 those put out pale in comparison to commutator traffic or the container ships running bunker fuel. We could have EV races and if each manufacturer entered their base models, could help with adoption. We could also make the ICE races run biogas(methane from antibiotic digesters) or biodiesel(tractor pulls could easily adopt that with only a small lowering of performance that all the tractors would share).

but anything combusting is a giant middle finger to your own children.

All consumption is.

• lone_faerie@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

I agree the environmental impacts are certainly an issue, but the emissions from the sport alone aren’t that bad, the worst is from all the travel done on private jets between locations. They’ve also done some work towards being more eco-friendly. The cars run hybrid V6s instead of V10s and by 2026 will use fully renewable biofuel. There’s also Formula E, which is an entirely electric motorsport.

There’s just some things an ICU can do that an electric motor can’t. It’s simply impossible to get the same amount of power as an F1 car from purely electric propulsion at the same weight.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 hours ago

so you know it’s a problem, you know the sport’s total footprint is the cause, you even point out THEY know it’s wretched and are making half hearted efforts to someday maybe do something.

but you give them your attention.

There’s just some things an ICU can do that an electric motor can’t.

but it’s entertainment, not some mission critical life saving thing, it’s to watch cars go fast driving in circles.

fuck me, our civilization deserves to collapse.

• BigBananaDealer@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            15 minutes ago

we deserve to collapse because we like to be entertained?

i wonder if what you used to type and send this comment onto the internet uses any sort of battery

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 minutes ago

we deserve to collapse because we like to be entertained?

when the specific entertainment is dicking around the ONLY FUCKIN’ ATMOSPHERE WE HAVE yeah I think so.

you like the taste of smog? or is it simping for petroleum companies?

Or is the attraction fracking?

Watching the poles melt in real time?

Come on man, which is the part that gives you the entertainment?

• yonder@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Even though some sort of trunk or storage could totally fit without increasing the vehicle volume.

• Randelung@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

That’s what I tell people. The reality of driving sucks. You might be in love with your fantasy of a 500 HP beast, but

• GHiLA@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

meanwhile on an open mountain road on a Sunday afternoon

“Woooooo!!!”

Where you’re driving is as important as what. You’d love to drive a Civic Type R.

In a hospital? Maybe not.

• ultracritical@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

Nah, FL5 Type 5 has hill assist, rev match, anti stall, and brake lock. With really comfy bucket seats. At speed you got Honda’s bitchin adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist. It’s as comfortable as a manual car can be for commuting and traffic. 10/10 would recommend as daily driver.

• Randelung@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

The fact that it needs to be open means 99% of people can’t be there, which includes 98% of 500 HP car owners.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I’ve always wanted to do this in video form - have a montage of heroic car ads that just crossfade together with tons of shots of those gas guzzlers sitting at red lights and in traffic.

• Doxatek@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

How I felt last week in my busted up 350k miles shitbox when there was a Lamborghini and Ferrari beside me crawling through traffic. Even once we were out of gridlock their average speed was probably the exact same as mine. My car costs probably 500 dollars and there’s cost literally a 1000 times more than that. Made me feel good. Also made me feel like ramming them just because

• yonder@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

As it turns out, road speed is limited by laws, safety and traffic, not the HP of your car engine.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 hours ago

Which perhaps makes the purchase more justifiable in Germany when you live within reach of the Autobahn…

• SimplyTadpole@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

As someone who has a big guilty pleasure for sports/performance cars and racing in general, this comic actually explains really well how I’m able to reconcile that with my dislike of car-centric infrastructure and wishing for better public transportation: without other means for getting around cities for people who don’t care much about cars (i.e. most people), everyone will be forced to use cars for basic transport, meaning really clogged highways and traffic jams that directly affect you and your fancy sports car’s enjoyment.

Conversely, if infrastructure was more accommodating for bikes, trains and buses to make them more viable, most people would use them, leaving the streets and highways freer for you to have fun driving your sports car the way it was meant to, instead of being stuck in traffic jams most of the time.

I just wish most people who are into cars realized this, instead of raving about how “they want to take away our cars!” and fellating Andrew Tate and other shitheads.

• MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

Why aren’t sport cars rented instead of sold? Only place you can really use them is the race track.

• Two2Tango@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

Lots of racetracks sell packages like this, pay $$ to take out a certain car or groups of cars. But for lots of people it’s just as much about the tuning/improving of their own car as it is about the driving.

• ramjambamalam@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 hours ago

Au contraire, my Fuck Cars fellow. A sports car’s agile handling and peppy acceleration are enjoyable even at street legal speeds. They are of course most enjoyable when driven nearer to the limits at a track, but most stock “sports cars” require some modifications to be reliably driven under such intense conditions.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

think, for a moment, about the world you’re leaving to the future.

is it really worth peppy acceleration when you KNOW that is wasteful and literally costing your children? Because that’s who’s gonna pay that bill. Not you or me. Our kids and grandkids.

cars for fun made sense before we understood the actual costs.

these days it just seems gross, you got yours, fuck everyone else.

• ramjambamalam@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 minutes ago

I’m happy to spend my carbon budget on an occasional Sunday cruise with the top down on a sunny afternoon, rather than overseas holidays, excessive consumption, etc. I don’t commute by car, I ride my bike as much as possible, and I advocate for improved public transit infrastructure in my community, which all have a far greater impact than my ~460 kg/year of CO2 from my joyrides.

Isn’t the more significant problem that the 98% of motorists who don’t give a rat’s ass about the driving experience, are effectively forced to drive when they could be taking alternative transport, if the infrastructure supported it?

Please, for the love of God, quadruple the carbon tax and invest it all in public transit, so that cars are treated like the luxury they should be.

• MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 hours ago

Buy and rent?

No, seriously. Guzzle more gas, prone to dangerous driving. Thus my idea to only rent them at race tracks.

• Jiggle_Physics@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 hours ago

You have both options.

One of the big draws to things like muscle/sports cars is customization, and upgrading. You can’t do that with a rental, so one of the biggest portions of that market will be left out.

• Sludgehammer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

The groceries in the passenger seat are a nice touch, because of course there’s gonna be no trunk space.

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    14 hours ago

While I can afford it, I intentionally have the smallest, most efficient vehicle I can possibly get away with owning while still meeting my mandatory social requirement of having a vehicle.

Due to a lack of public transportation, it is required. There’s no other practical means I can use to do the 45 minute commute to work, short of perhaps buying a motorcycle which puts me at risk due to the predominance of huge SUVs. I’ve considered an E bike, but we don’t even have sidewalks on this route.

I just can’t swallow investing in something that either sits outside or sits in traffic. I don’t use half of what that little four banger is capable of.

• Sauerkraut
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

Fast cars are fun to drive (if you are blissfully ignorant of how dangerous speeding is), but knowing what I know now, it is scary how easy it is to drive a fast car recklessly. I don’t have a source at hand, but I’d bet money that high HP cars kill children and pedestrians at higher rates than small eco cars do.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 hours ago

They are fun to drive! However, you really need to have room for it IMHO like some open or back roads to drive on. If you don’t live near many of those then that’s definitely something to consider. Getting to the bumper of the car in front of me faster is less interesting.

• nilloc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

And trucks are just fast cars with worse handling and braking, and worse outcomes for bystanders in accidents.

• _sideffect@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 hours ago

People don’t buy these cars and worry about the fact that it’s parked in the driveway or that it’s stuck in traffic during the week.

It’s bought because it’s something they want and they enjoy owning, and because they can fully utilize the power in the evenings or weekends.

Just enjoy your life, buy what you want. Stop worrying about how much it gets used.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        14 hours ago

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Spend your money where it makes you happy. I’d feel more sympathetic if I didn’t feel compelled to own one when it’s not something that brings me joy.

I kind of think of it like owning a high-end smartphone. Practically speaking maybe it doesn’t make as much difference as a more cost-effective option, but if it makes you happy, by all means. Life is short. But I can still just manage to get by without a smart phone these days if I wanted to do that. I can’t say the same for a vehicle.

• NewNewAccount@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            12 hours ago

Still, the culture surrounding spending so much of your money on a depreciating asset just to have fun or maintain appearances is crazy.

Americans are spending $1000/month for 6+ years to drive a car that mostly sits in driveways, parking lots, and traffic.

• SuperSpruce@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 hours ago

That’s why I keep advising people to buy used, and to be able to pay for any expensive toy fully in cash. It saves so much depreciation money, and causes you to not go into debt over an expensive toy.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 hours ago

Most of enjoyment in life is spent around depreciating items that you’ll get no return on: food, entertainment, travel. If you don’t spend your money on enjoyment and focus only on return, what have you done with your life?

• NewNewAccount@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                11 hours ago

Made trillions.

Kidding aside, if the item wasn’t such a significant chunk of one’s earnings and also wasn’t on the never ending purchase cycle perpetuated by advertising and culture I’d feel differently.

Buy a nice car that fits your budget and provides satisfaction. Keep it for long enough that it doesn’t impact your family’s financial stability.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 hours ago

You also are under the assumption that the people who constantly buy new cars can’t afford it. For me, it brings enjoyment (something that is not tangible). I also can afford to buy a new car every few years. I view it as something I take pleasure in similar to eating or traveling.

The other perk about me doing that, is since I eat the depreciation, when I turn it in, someone can buy it for cheaper and drive it until the wheels fall off if they want.

• SwingingTheLamp@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 hours ago

And yet people get so bent out of shape when I point out that most cars are nothing more than expensive toys for adults.

• Trail@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 hours ago

Nothing inherently wrong with expensive toys for adults. Not my cup of tea, but still.

• SwingingTheLamp@midwest.social
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 hours ago

Agreed, nothing inherently wrong with expensive toys for adults. For instance, I have a sailboat. I just don’t insist that everybody structure their lives and build their world around it.

• thewaytothedawn@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 hours ago

Not inherently, but the way people drive? Some people definitely treat driving like a literal toy or a video game, and have no respect for how easily you can kill someone. I can’t help but feel like this is a result of american car culture (speaking from an obv american perspective , since the world obv revolves around us /s)

• Aniki 🌱🌿
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 hours ago

But they don’t race them on a track like someone who actually loves speed. They use them as status symbols to flex on the poors.

• RisingSwell@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 hours ago

I thought that was the coal rolling mega trucks the US has? At least I can see past a sea of mustangs or any other sports/muscle car.

• Cris@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

Do honda s2000s get that bad of gas milage? They’re pretty small, lightweight cars

• winterayars@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

The engine is pretty high strung so you’re lucky to get 20-24 mpg. If you drive it hard (and it wants to be driven hard) it’s going to be less. That’s still probably better than the kind of huge muscle car in the picture, though.

The other thing is it’s just not a pleasant car to drive in traffic. It’s a manual transmission car (only ever made in manual) and it’s really easy to stall, among other things, so it’s not fun to drive through rush hour.

• ...m...@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

…i’m surprised to read that; my elise and MX-5s all get around thirty miles per gallon on the street, it’s only on tracks where fuel economy drops precipitously…

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 hours ago

The S2k is just in a weird spot due to the engine being so crazy. The 2005 EPA rating was 17/23 for example. It’s a combination of high revving engine (you seriously drive in the 3-5k rev range in normal traffic), short gear ratios, and more weight than either an MX-5 or Elise. The thing is a legend but it’s far from perfect! Or perhaps, it’s a legend because of the imperfections the engineers gave it.

• ...m...@ttrpg.network
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              39 minutes ago

…the elise’s 2ZZ-GE is nearly as highly-strung as the F20 (splits the difference from the F20C at 8500 RPM) but it’s also 10% less displacement, which may make the most difference in fuel economy compared to pushing 40% more weight in the S2000…

…i wish my mazdas revved so high!..

• Cris@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          12 hours ago

Ahh, gotcha. Thats a shame, my dream car is a miata which I’ve always wanted to daily drive, and I tend to think of the s2000 similarly since they’re a lot alike in many respects

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 hours ago

Miatas are pretty similar, but modern ones have some nice advantages! It’s rated for 25/35 mpg, for example, and unlike a lot of car makers Mazda’s fuel economy numbers are pretty realistic. A Miata isn’t going to be as painful to drive in traffic, either. Not unless you modify it or something.

• Cris@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 hours ago

My dream car is an NA, so a bit less practical lol, but I still desperately want one

• vrj@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 hours ago

Also the clutch doesn’t require much force to engage, and 1st gear seems pretty forgiving, at least on the NDs. I can’t say I enjoy driving in traffic, but it’s not too bad

• nifty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 hours ago

This is why people have a commuting car and a track car. Your track car is often not your commuting car

• IsThisAnAI@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    13 hours ago

Y’all pretend roads outside the city and weekends don’t exist. My commute is a joy.

• waigl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

Is the “Fire Storm” Emblem on the front of the car on the billboard making the whole thing look AI generated, or am I getting paranoid? Or maybe both?