• frigidaphelion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

I always found it weird that tony said this because like he is also pretty much nothing without his suit?

• Rhaedas@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?

Tony Stark: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

Tony was being snarky, but he’s not wrong about the suit being just an extension. Yes, it’s important to his abilities, otherwise he wouldn’t have needed it from the beginning in the cave. But it’s also not a crutch, as Ironman 3 showed and taught him, and he’s trying to show Peter that it begins with the person.

Also keep in mind what he said to Peter in this same scene - when Peter said he just wanted to be like Tony, Tony comes back and says yeah, and I wanted you to be better. Tony knows that Peter truly doesn’t need the suit because he is that powerful, it’s just once again an extension that enhances those abilities, and if Peter thought it was the suit that made him special he wouldn’t grow.

• JoYo@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

ive been doing this for long enough to know you can use any text editor without a mouse.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

One of the things that really, really annoys me when I get lazy and use a pre-bundled set of (neo)vim plugins is how every one of them uses mouse functionality. I only use the mouse to copy/paste from the terminal to system clipboard. I don’t want it hijacking him and entering visual mode.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

You know, if I can use vim bindings and regex, I might try it out. I tend to try to keep my neovim plugins fairly lightweight when I config myself. Not being electron is a big plus.

• JoYo@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 minutes ago

yah helix has vim motions.

their search mode and select is a bit different but once you do the tutorial it makes complete sense why youd want to scope your regex replace.

• electricprism@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

does this suggest that copy/paste from the terminal is broken by design and we need find a better way?

• Midnitte@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Might I suggest a common set of keybinds… maybe C for copy, and v for vaste… maybe use ctrl as well?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

Ctrl is already used my a large number of commands in POSIX shells. This is one of the places that I really like Apple’s solution (despite really not liking most of what they do). Super/GUI/Command + c/v is a great improvement in the terminal.

• Evil_Shrubbery@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 hours ago

Imagine using you mouser to click on all the things, like a pleb.

Mice are for fps.

/s
    (well, only like 62% sarcasm tbh)

• Ephera@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

Recently had to edit the hosts-file on a remote host, and I don’t know if using two proxy jumps to SSH into it broke it, but it just wouldn’t let me select text with the mouse.
    I had to duplicate seven lines and edit the IP addresses, and without being able to copy-paste, I already saw myself manually typing it out.

Then I remembered that in Vim, you can do d5↓ to delete 5 lines. Surely that would also work with copying/yanking. And yep, a y7↓ and a paste later and I had duplicated the lines.

Then use the multi-line cursor like I routinely do for changing all 7 IP addresses…
    …and now I feel like I’ve crossed the line where people will think I’m just a wizard.

• leisesprecher@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

The real question is why you’re torturing yourself by manually fixing that stuff? Don’t you terraform your Ansibles?

• Coolcoder360@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Just switch to visual mode and select the text and yank it.

Press v where you want to start the selection from (switches to visual mode), hjkl (or arrow keys) to move the cursor to the end, then you can yank it from there. It’ll highlight what you’re selecting just like you’re using your mouse, but you’re using the keyboard.

If you want to get really fancy there are 3 different kinds of visual mode, but lower case is the most often one that I use because it’s char by char, V is line by line, Ctrl+v is “block” (you can select chunks across several lines omitting things at the beginning or end of lines).

Ctrl+V to do the block mode is nice if you need to edit the same part of several lines that all line up vertically, you just Ctrl+v, jk to select the lines, then I (shift+i) to insert on all those lines (if you’re in vim you can delete things in insert mode also, if you’re in vi you’ll need to delete first then insert)

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

I’ve been using vim as my primary text editor and IDE for near a decade. I forgot that this was a thing so, I’ve been using visual mode like a peasant.

• OpenStars@piefed.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

Okay but… obligatory “gVim offers the best of both worlds by offering use of a mouse if you want it”. There are also native ports for Mac OSX and Windows, etc.

Vim, in contrast, is a command-line program, suited for e.g. working with a text file on a remote server that may not even be running an X-windows interface, or maybe the user simply did not bother to connect to it:-).

Okay, we may now proceed with the humorous jesting:-).

• riodoro1@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

Shit, the touchpad is right there. They even cut a hole for it in the case. I think im gonna use it.