• Swedneck
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

do people like, not get thirsty? it boggles my mind how you can not drink enough water, we have a built in system to recognize when we need water…

• kakes@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I grew up drinking almost exclusively Coke (thanks mom and dad!), and it took me a very long time to realize that my “craving” for Coke was actually just thirst.

These days I try to stick exclusively to drinking water, but I definitely understand how people can be chronically dehydrated like that when their body is so conditioned to drinking garbage.

To this day, I’ll still occasionally think “man, I could really go for a can of Coke,” but then I drink water and it goes away.

• kakes@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

It’s certainly better than regular, but I’ll admit the idea of finding water “boring” doesn’t sit well with me. Maybe I’m getting old.

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Or just get a liquid water flavour enhancer. Soda is terrible for you, even the diet stuff with no sugar.

• tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Where I’m from the term soda water means water with bubbles in it, unless you were saying that CO2 is bad for you even in water.

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Oh, my bad. I was not aware of that expression, it’s usually called sparkling water here.

• tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

I’ve heard a lot of different terms for it from a not very big area, but I’m not sure why. Either seltzer (water), club soda, soda water, or sparkling like you said. If you’re feeling fancy you can ask for a Perrier (the brand).

• axsyse@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I have ADHD. This has two consequences:

1. My ADHD meds are a diuretic, so on days when I take them I expel more water than I otherwise would. Making matters worse, I feel like when I take them I often just don’t really get thirsty. As a result, if I don’t pretty actively remind myself to drink water then I can easily find myself only noticing that I’m thirsty when I’m noticeably pretty dehydrated. Like, “wtf why are my eyes so dry? Oh right I don’t think I’ve had any water since like yesterday morning”.
      2. On days when I don’t take my meds (weekends), I might notice I’m thirsty but then just get distracted by something and forget about it for hours. The same applies to a lot of other bodily needs. No, I don’t know how I’ve survived this long.
    • sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I work a desk job and I used to be too lazy to get up and get a drink, and I tend to also not notice when really focused on something. When I’m outside, I notice the thirst a lot more, but in a climate controlled room sitting at a desk, it’s less urgent.

So I keep a bottle next to me all day and refill when I empty it every couple hours. I don’t count how much I drink, and I don’t think the “8 glasses every day” thing is particularly relevant, but I am plenty hydrated throughout the day (probably something like 6 cups of whatever without thinking about it, maybe more).

• Syd@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Everyone’s experiences are subjective. Some people experience thirst as hunger for instance.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Surprisingly, you can get dehydrated and not thirsty. I’ve had this happen. Not often, but it does happen. Usually, my caffeine addiction makes sure that I get enough hydration, though.

• Pelicanen@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Some of us have been failed by biology and never get thirsty. Makes you seem kinda stupid sometimes when you go "Huh, why do I have a headache and a dry mouth? Oh, right, I haven’t had anything to drink since yesterday."

• powermaker450
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I don’t get thirsty. at all. I need to actively remind myself to drink water or else I get a splitting headache after a while

• Kyle@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

As people age, their thirst reflex tends to diminish or reduce. There are a few reasons for this:

1. The hypothalamus, the part of the brain that regulates body functions like thirst, becomes less sensitive to changes in the body’s water levels. As a result, older adults do not feel thirsty even when their bodies need more water.

2. Kidneys become less effective at concentrating urine as one ages. This means older kidneys lose more water during the process of filtering and eliminating waste from the blood. However, the reduced thirst reflex does not signal the body to drink more water to compensate for this loss.

3. Levels of hormones like vasopressin, which help the kidneys conserve water, tend to decrease with age. This further impairs the kidneys’ ability to retain water and increases the risk of dehydration if fluid intake is not sufficient.

4. Physical changes like loss of muscle mass and a slower metabolism reduce the overall fluid needs of the body. But the thirst mechanism is not adjusted accordingly, leading to inadequate fluid intake if one relies solely on thirst.

In summary, age-related physiological changes in the brain and kidneys undermine the body’s ability to sense dehydration through thirst. This is why it is important for older adults to drink water regularly, even when not feeling thirsty, to maintain proper hydration.

In a personal note, at 40 years old, in noticing this effect already.

• Fr0G@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

So as someone who doesn’t get thirsty and actively has to be reminded to drink water, here’s my theory.

1. The temperature of the water matters just enough that it changes if I want to drink it, but not so much that I’m willing to make a specific temperature of water. E.g. cold drink on a cold day? No thanks, but I’m not heating up some water for a glass that’s right.
      2. I eat a lot of juicy foods like fruit and some meats. Even some foods with sauces. I eat a good amount of my hydration
      3. Water doesn’t taste good and has a distinct lack of texture that I just don’t jive with
      4. I HATE having to go pee too often. If I could never go to the bathroom that is what I would choose. So I may have unintentionally found a rhythm that keeps me relatively hydrated (I don’t get thirsty and my lips aren’t usually dry or anything).

That said, I have recently started making fruit juice that is like 80% water and 20% whole fruit and its helped my bowel movements a lot.

• jigsaw250@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Nah, they do. Like anything today for a lot of people, it’s about enjoying the now and dealing with the consequences later.

I’m working on it in other areas, but food and drink is where I really struggle. I’ve regulated my calorie intake by limiting the amount I eat and drinking zero calorie (non water) beverages, but I know my diet is still unhealthy. I do it because the short term is enjoyable and I don’t currently have a reason not to.

• dependencyinjection
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Yeah but then I’ll get a class of water, set it down on my desk and proceed to not drink it for another couple of hours.

• kautau@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

A cup is only 8 oz though. For reference that’s one of these

Don’t drink bottled water though.

Get yourself a 32oz reusable bottle and a good filter and that’s half of the recommendation when you finish it. I drink like 3 32oz bottles a day by just having my water bottle at my desk.

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Yes! The biggest thing is having a cup you like and always keep it with you. Personally I recommend one with a straw as you’re even more likely to reach and sip without thinking. But I promise if it’s next to you, you will drink more without any effort

• prayer@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

90% of filters are the same, a charcoal filter. But don’t go cheap on the filter itself, as I personally don’t believe you should cheap out on things relating to your health, and water quality is one of those.

• three@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I used a Brita pitcher for a while but recently upgraded to a Berkey countertop system.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The 8-cup thing is a myth. The reason you don’t actually need to drink that much water is because there’s water in the food you eat, too.

• ULS@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

The only thing that makes me not drink alcohol endlessly is money and indigestion.

• FrostKing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I consistently hear inconsistent recommendations for how much water I should drink. I try to just drink when I’m thirsty, and that tends to work.

• flying_sheep@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I need to keep a filled glass on my desk for that to work. Being focused on a task tends to keep me from going to fetch a drink when I’m thirsty, but “refill glass when empty” is a thing my brain seems to be able to do.

• FrostKing@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Keeping a water bottle that I drink exclusively from near me at all times definitely helps with this

• Patches@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

That is the entire idea behind the whole “keep a 25 Gallon Stanley cup around at all times” craze.

Side Note: Every brand except Stanley uses Glass insulation instead of Lead so can save yourself some brain damage, and buy literally any other brand.

• TehBamski@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

That’s a great baseline my dude. I do this personally and drink half to 3/4ths of a gallon a day. More if It’s hot and/or I’ve been doing more physical stuff.

• soggy_kitty@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

7 beers in 2 hours? Holy shit how the fuck can any normal person do that?

I would be bloated after 3

• 9point6@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Roughly the duration of a football match in the pub? 3 pints a half and last one before I head home or out after—I’d be lying if I didn’t say that’s happened more than once.

Not saying that isn’t a bit of a heavy one, but it’s also not that uncommon in the UK, I’d say

• Crisps@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is because alcohol is a diuretic. The more you drink the more you pee and need liquids.

• QuaffPotions@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

People tend to have their preferred water drinking container, and normally fill and drink from that container once per day. I’ve seen recommendations for 96 oz for adult men, and 92 oz for adult women, or even some recommendations to aim as high as 128 oz (1 gallon). So you can use this one-glass per day to hack yourself into drinking more water by choosing a canteen/growler that holds the total amount of water you’re aiming to drink every day. You might not always hit the mark unless you’re making an earnest effort, but having a 1 gallon drinking vessel will cause you to drink more water.

And even if that seems like an extreme amount, getting at or close to that mark every day does make a difference for your health and how you feel.

• meliaesc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

My understanding is that much of our hydration comes from food. Cooked rice, for example, is 70 percent water, and tomatoes are 94 percent. Absolutely aim to drink as much as you can, but a gallon won’t be necessary unless you only eat plain crackers.

• LufyCZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I’d say not really, since alkohol is a diuretic, meaning you’ll pee the whole thing out before the body enjoys the waturr

• sramder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

The best drinking advice I ever got was 3x the water to hard liquor. It certainly won’t save you, but it helps immensely.

That and every bartender will happily give you a glass of ice water if you ask, and keep it topped off for you.

When I was just starting my drinking I figured it would make me less cool, that they would laugh, but it has never happened.

• feedum_sneedson@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Fatphobia? On Lemmy? I expected better.

Tried this troll before, it didn’t work very well. I imagine it’ll go down roughly the same way the second time.