• Clent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Ignoring the humor of this to throw down to facts.

There are brownie pans that have multiple cells such that each brownie is a single serving with four edges. Basically a cupcake pan but with squares.

This is only 2-3 edges per brownie; an inferior experience.

• Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          27 days ago

I’m pretty sure the pan has a finite volume, unless it has some sort of space-folding technology.

• Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              26 days ago

It’s like L-space from the Unseen University Library, but it’s B-space. It contains every conceivable recipe of brownies.

• Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              27 days ago

Okay so this doesn’t matter and I don’t want to argue, so I’ll just honestly ask - what do you mean? I am genuinely confused.

• anytimesoon@feddit.uk
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                27 days ago

I think they’re trying to say that the amount of brownie is dictated by the amount of batter you have, and you can use one tray as many times as necessary to use up all the batter

• Glemek@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                26 days ago

Originally bringing total pan volume into it confused me, a baking pan has an upper limit to how much brownie you can bake per cycle in it, but by the time you are anywhere near that limit you are probably already better off using a second pan.

The example brownies from the picture are nowhere near that limit, so if there was a moderate but significant decrease in the volume of the pan in the change to the squares It doesn’t seem like it should be a problem even on a per cycle basis. Even so, the cost of doing an additional cycle of baking is not that high anyways.

The main factor in how much volume of brownie you make will be the amount of brownie batter you make. Non-euclidean space isn’t required to bake an additional 25% or so of brownies by volume in that pan, and so your reply seemed snide, and I responded kurtly.

• Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  26 days ago

baking pan has an upper limit to how much brownie you can bake per cycle in it

Okay, and I just want to check - do you think that this limit - which I assume would be measured in volume - might be what the person was referring to by the “volume” of the pan? Or do you think they meant something else? If so, what?

your reply seemed snide

That’s probably because it was.

• Milk_Sheikh@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

I can HIGHLY recommend brownie batter put into non-standard pans. Madeline pans make excellent bite sized brownies, and cupcakes are good too. Just don’t put too much into each one, otherwise the center doesn’t bake and achieve the desired gooey texture.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Yep. I have this brownie pan, it does an excellent job, but I wouldn’t have gotten it if I had found the four-edge-per-brownie pans first.

• mavu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    27 days ago

That this looks like a meandering river of shit seems more topical to edge.

• sevan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Is there a reverse version of this where all the brownies are middle brownies? That’s the version I want.

• dQw4w9WgXcQ@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

A spherical tray should work. Make sure it has enough mass to make its gravitational field hold on to the batter and suspend it in the oven using magnets.

• paholg@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Panko bread dough is placed between two metal surfaces, and is cooked by running an electric current through it. This avoids any crust forming, causing it to be very uniform.

I imagine you could do the same with brownies.

• MacN'Cheezus@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

Yes, I would like to invest in your electric crustless brownie company. Call me when you have a prototype ready.

• roscoe@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

I suppose you could bake a brownie sphere in microgravity. That might be hard to get the center cooked without burning the surface though. Maybe a metal ball as a pan that you could coat with batter.

• SirHenry@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Well a circle has the best ratio for your liking i think. But maybe ask your local magician for some un edged Brownies ;).

• Lemminary@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

I don’t fully get it either. It’s either the browser Edge or edging yourself for hours on end. Lol

• rwhitisissle@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          27 days ago

Edging is not a new thing, really. You’ve probably just never encountered the concept. Edging is the practice of bringing yourself to the edge of orgasm before backing away. The idea is that when you do finally orgasm it’s been “built up to” by the earlier edging so you get a better climax.

• AnarchistArtificer@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        27 days ago

I’m familiar with edging, but I’m not sure I see the joke. That might be because “edge” feels somewhat semantically separate to “edging” in my mind. As a clearer example of what I mean, if the word “edgy” came up, I would be way more likely to think of it as describing someone or something that tries too hard to be dark and provocative. I’d be very confused if someone used “edgy” as an adjectivified form of “edging”.

Besides that though, I’m sure that edging was a thing 15 years ago; the Wikipedia article for “edging(sexual practice)” dates back to 2006, for one. Part of why I didn’t get the joke is because I can’t think of any logical link between edging and 15 years ago, so I think I concluded that the meme wasn’t about the sex thing.

Is there still something I’m missing, or am I just being supremely autistic about this?

• IntentionallyAnon@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

If I say I had a good edge, it’s like saying I had a good wank. Look at the image and replace all instances of edge with wank

• Psythik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      26 days ago

I miss Sky Mall so badly.

These days there’s nothing to do on a plane except play on your phone, and you can already do that literally anywhere else.

• Wogi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

What there’s loads to do. You can awkwardly try not to touch the person next to you. You can hold it, because you’re stuck in the middle or window, and you don’t want to disturb the person next to you. You can drink the 2 oz of diet Coke they give you before they bring you peanuts, then desperately try to suck any amount of liquid out of the cup of ice you’re left with. You can try to get to your bag under the seat in front of you, fail because your feet are in the way, and spend the rest of the flight wishing you hadn’t done that.

Loads!

• HeyThisIsntTheYMCA@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

nah this asks the question why are we making brownies in a 9x13. like, what if we tossed it in a loaf pan or something I suck at baking