• horseloaf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

If u make privacy illegal then only cops, spooks, governments, billionaires and other criminals will have privacy. FTFY.

• UltraGiGaGigantic@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 days ago

Uhh have you heard? Constitutional rights are ala cart now! Just pick and choose what you want! No big deal.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

I’ve always been reluctant to rely on papers like any constitution as a base for my perceived rights.

Maybe as an argument, in the sense of “smart people have said that it should be and made some points in its favor”.

But in general it’s a horrid mistake to rely on a paper. Some people you haven’t given any consent will stamp a few saying that you are a slave and oops.

The reality is that there’s no way to consistently defend a right suppressed by legal arguments. If you can check the chain of laws giving you some right or taking it, you’ll always come to the point where it’s just “we all decide that’s law” and you were not part of that decision. And if you go the opposite way and just accept what’s made law, then you are dropping the idea of rights in its entirety, making decisions made by someone else a law for you.

My point is that this is unsolvable and one can’t replace good and evil with legal arguments. Laws will never be sufficiently good for that, even constitutional laws.

So I’m for right to arm oneself, but I don’t think there’s any magic allowing to universally prove that a thing is legally right or wrong.

Which is why, again, a journalism which isn’t outrageous is just public relations, a protest that doesn’t harm economy and break laws is just a demonstration, an a principle which can be overridden by a law or a threat of force is just virtue signalling.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

I already have a chainsaw for that kind of thing, that does this have to do with guns and encryption?

• Naich@lemmings.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

Yeah, that’s the point. What do guns have to do with encryption? I could say “If you outlaw beards, only outlaws will have beards” and it will make as much sense as your original post. I appreciate that you have a weird fetish for violence but you don’t have to shoe-horn it into every conversation.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 days ago

Privacy and guns can be used for defense. Beards generally don’t affect that (though Alexander was of a different opinion and made his soldiers shave so that they couldn’t be grabbed by the beard ; I think same was the reasoning for Roman soldiers shaving their beards and other hair).

• Naich@lemmings.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 days ago

You can’t murder a room full of children with pgp.

I’ll just say it again in the hope that it might dawn on you that the two things are not even remotely similar enough that you can say “this also works for guns”.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 days ago

I’ve already described specifically how they are similar, it might dawn on you that repetition doesn’t strengthen an argument. Not hopeful though.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

What? You think criminals don’t have guns in yours?

By the way, a country can’t believe anything, it’s an artificial concept on a map.

• RogueBanana@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

Unironically yes. Out of 1000 crime news I hear about here, maybe one of them is about gun violence. Also I have never ever heard about mass killings here like USA seems to have every week.

• RogueBanana@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 days ago

Lol is it really that hard for you to believe? I am not just talking about media channels, also just word around the block, multiple YouTube channels and such.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 days ago

Not that hard. I’d say organized crime will have guns regardless. Usual hooligans will do with many things one can imagine.

• Tja@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

That’s what I think. That’s what I observed (anecdotally) and what statistics show. When the sentence for having a gun is higher than robbery or drug dealing or whatever, even criminals avoid that shit.

Why would you think criminals DO have guns in other countries?

• Mubelotix@jlai.lu
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 days ago

You can be anti-guns but he is still right. Criminals do have weapons where I live, even though it’s illegal. Fortunately, we don’t have many criminals since the country is rich

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 days ago

That’s a weird answer, I didn’t say that obtuseness\pedantry can believe in something.

You made nobody fail, accusing someone of these traits just means their correctness is socially unpleasant for you.

• /home/pineapplelover@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

And on Tuesday, 37 Members of Parliament signed an open letter to the Council of Europe urging legislators to reject Chat Control.

“We explicitly warn that the obligation to systematically scan encrypted communication, whether called ‘upload-moderation’ or ‘client-side scanning,’ would not only break secure end-to-end encryption, but will to a high probability also not withstand the case law of the European Court of Justice,” the MEPs said. “Rather, such an attack would be in complete contrast to the European commitment to secure communication and digital privacy, as well as human rights in the digital space.”

I hope to fuck this shit won’t get passed

• Richard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

As your own quote says, we can at least hope that if it passes, it will be found illegal by the courts and get rescinded.

• BananaTrifleViolin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

Regardless of the supposed motivations, this is mass surveillance on a scale never seen before. The EU wants to become China 2.0.

• volodya_ilich@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Why the need to compare to China though? People can understand that mass surveillance is bad without resorting to “China bad”. Go ask Snowdon if China is the mother of all surveillance.

• gallopingsnail@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

"Bruh why would you compare them to the largest surveillance state in the world bro. Saying how the EU would be more like the the most widely-known example of government surveillance and blocking of Internet traffic is just saying China bad, bro.

inb4 “bUt mUriCa bAd ToO”

• lenz@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

Idk why communists defend China’s every move. Communism can be defended without excusing China’s authoritarian practices. I have Chinese friends living in China who tell me all kinds of horrific stories that they’ve had to deal with because of China’s mass surveillance (and more). That isn’t western propaganda, that’s people’s lived experiences. There is literally a “Great Firewall of China” lmao. China IS bad when it comes to their mass surveillance and suppression of speech. USA IS bad when it comes to their letting giant corporations have such free rein that it makes us all into serfs. Why compare to China? Because China is a great comparison.

• volodya_ilich@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

How am I defending china? I just don’t see the need to go “oh look like X country” whenever the EU or the US do something bad. We’re plenty bad ourselves

• figaro@lemdro.id
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

Let’s say both then. Both the US and China are surveillance states, and that makes them both bad.

Btw just so you are aware, there is some underlying animosity toward people who defend China here. Usually people who defend China are just trying to deflect and try to say things like “BUT America does bad things!” While trying to make it seem like that somehow absolves China of genocide and mass surveillance.

The hard part for those people to grasp is that Americans are usually happy to say yes, America sucks. Any country that engages in those actions sucks. Diehard tankies on the other hand are incapable of seeing flaws in China/Russia/whatever country they feel the need to defend.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

Let’s say both then. Both the US and China are surveillance states, and that makes them both bad.

/signed

But also: all five-eyes states, and then a couple more. With western European countries trying hard to compete in the “who can fuck their citizens the mostest the bestest”

• Ibuthyr
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

It’s a language many people understand. I mean, you have to be extremely ignorant if you think China has good privacy laws implemented. Everyone knows what a nightmare that country is in that regard, ergo no one wants to be like them.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 days ago

Because it’s a comparison most people understand and it put things in perspective. Seems obvious enough to me.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

I put “communists” in scare quotes when they’re defending every action from a state capitalist nation that produces hundreds of billionaires.

• LoreleiSankTheShip@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 days ago

As someone who doesn’t know much about China aside from the high competitiveness of their academic environment, I’m curious as to what sort of issues your friends face due to surveillance? Does it affect their day to day lives? Or does it just foster an atmosphere of “be careful what you say”?

• Draedron@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

China is bad. It is a brutal dictatorship in the middle of committing 2 genocides. Uyghurs and Falun Gong.

• catalog3115@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

It’s highly likely that these laws will be passed because more people are voting for right wing leaders in EU, Right wing heavily supports this. If EU sets the example soon the whole world will follow.

• disconnectikacio@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

they call themselves “right wing”, but they arent. See here in orbanistan (hungary) orban and all his comrades were commie state party functionals, or were at least the part in the commie youth organization. Also they vote down 23 times (as of now) the disclosure of the commie state party agent files, serving commie dictatorships like PRC, and the soviet union mourner putin, etc. Just like AFD in germany, etc…

• Max-P@lemmy.max-p.me
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

If it’s client side then pedos will just strip it out and keep on going. It’s a giant waste of time.

• cyd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 days ago

It’s nothing to do with stopping pedos. The people pushing this year-in and year-out don’t care THAT much about pedos. It’s not a cause that’s motivating enough for them to be putting in so much effort, trying to sneak in legislation after being repeatedly rebuffed.

• Maestro@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

The real people pushing this are lobbyists working for the companies that sell the monitoring software.

• unexposedhazard
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 days ago

And for anyone wondering btw, this is actually a proven fact and not just a guess.

This article in german talks about the connections that the people pushing this have to the relevant tech industry companies.

• unexposedhazard
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

Its insane to me how it was entirely proven that this whole political movement is a giant fear mongering psyop and despite that its still being discussed at all.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

It’s rather “tell me who’s your friend and I’ll tell you who you are”, most of specific people involved in pushing this have a history with authoritarian regimes, some genocidal.

Many things may change overnight.

It’s not a cause that’s motivating enough for them to be putting in so much effort, trying to sneak in legislation after being repeatedly rebuffed.

Until those trying are in jail explaining their motivations in detail, this won’t stop.

• Crismus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

It’s really all about having a way to get past encryption so they can spy on everyone indiscriminately. It’s pushed that it’s to save kids and unmask pedos, but the people in charge know the pedophiles are their rich donors.

It’s about controlling opposition and making sure the wealthy can stay on top. Imagine if no small business can hide their information from their competitors.

• gjoel@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 days ago

Or, you know, trivially circumvent it? Compress media, break up URLs? I don’t understand how this could possibly be effective.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

And all but guaranteed. I know I would protest this, and I’m sure there are enough like me that this would waste a lot of time for police.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

Any circumvention argument misses the point.

90% of people won’t. The remaining 10% will be flagged and can be scrutinized more manually (without any violence which will get into news). It’s the way any surveillance works. Which is why non-backdoored e2e encryption for everyone in everything everywhere and death of centralized services are important to fight surveillance.

It’s like flowers covering body parts on photos, we kinda guess what’s there. If the whole photo is covered with flowers, that’s another story.

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Wait till they make TOR illegal and force people to mask TOR traffic to look like HTTPS. Then produce a stream of rubbish alongside said HTTPS traffic so as to fool authorities. Lol at them thinking non-profit tech gurus are going to give them cake

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

You are answering a comment explaining why this is bullshit. “Gurus” are sufficiently rare to have other kinds of surveillance.

For some reason in every bad event there are plenty of people thinking evil is stupid.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

What I’m trying to say is said gurus will build something that the masses can use (to the extent of the masses that know what Threema and Briar are).

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 days ago

My third sentence still applies. Do you realize that the situation presented is one with backdoors on every device and criminal responsibility for bypassing\removing those?

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 days ago

Yes, and this will affect everyone. Which is why I’m hopeful that organisations like the EFF, the TOR browser’s foundation, Graphene OS and the general Android community comes up with something that will prevent this. I hope this will push for greater efforts in obfuscation of traffic from TOR, I2P, Freenet, Wireguard and the like along with better education amongst the general population.

You could call me naive though, I suppose. Perhaps I expect too much

• hoshikarakitaridia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

What a bullshit law. If things have flaws, they don’t just have flaws for the benefit of police or government agencies. They have flaws for anyone that knows them or discovers them. This stuff will still be accessible for smart criminals, even more so in corrupt governments.

An encryption with exploits is not an encryption, it’s a time bomb and it will blow up in your face at the worst moment.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 days ago

They want that. It’s no coincidence that people pushing this are all unelected.

It is a criminal takeover of the EU in its final stages (Europeans like to think they are very smart and have lots of strategic depth, but I’ll repeat that these are the final stages of it).

• bazingabot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 days ago

Definitely not my representatives in the EU…and all in front our wonderful Ursula von der Leyen, a personified political failure. And why this constant fake argument of child abuse?.. the real argument is that politicians and governments want to spy on EU inhabitants…time to vote differently…if this still helps anything in the EU …

• ben_dover@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

that’s what you get for having 2/3 right wing parties in the EU parliament