• TSG_Asmodeus (he, him)@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Just here to say I’m Canadian, so I’m not part of either of your political parties, but that guy says ‘coloured.’ I have no fucking idea how anyone hears ‘college’ in there. There’s no ‘g’ sound, it ends with a ‘d’ sound; I can see people are willing to bend over backward to change this, but it’s quite clear.

• TSG_Asmodeus (he, him)@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You aren’t a part of either? Sorry to say, but American politics has a huge influence on your country and the rest of the world (to some extent)

Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.” -Pierre Elliot Trudeau

As for me, I wouldn’t support either party if they were in my country, because I am a Left-wing voter. I have far, far, far, far more options.

• III@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I wouldn’t support either party

Sadly, we don’t get this option. We get to support one, the other or either… not neither.

• PotatoesFall
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

People in Canada never make mistakes while speaking?

• Transporter Room 3@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I literally sat there while the video loaded going “college college college” because I know how some things can actually be ambiguous (I’m thinking of noise, not speech though) and you might hear the last word that was “close enough”, and I figured if I hear “colored” even after that, it’s bad.

And it’s bad

I genuinely can’t see how someone hears “college” from that.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

If that’s what you want then all you’ve got to do is dig up a link and make a post at about 5-6AM EST US tomorrow morning. Be the change you want to see.

• Broken_Monitor@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

How is it my responsibility to stop you from linking to twitter? Change your actions. Dont link to twitter

• Grimy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Well the context was him talking about a sorority so it’s not really at all damning. I hate fox news as much as the next guy but it could easily be one or the other. If you listen to it while saying either word in your mind, they both slip right in.

I’m more frustrated by the fact he mentioned healthcare as if to imply she didn’t do enough? When have Republicans ever been pro-healthcare? It seems like blatant manipulation.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

He was comparing events someone could have attended. He was minimizing the importance of the event that was attended.

He was further minimizing the importance of the event because it was a colored event. Then, he stated she should’ve distanced herself from the organization.

If you choose to be blind then you’ll do it alone. It’s not like MAGA or neolibs. There’s no bandwagon to provide psychological safety for failures most overcome in high school.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

I’m saying that in this context, both college and colored both make sense. The context isn’t damning at all.

The whole argument is monumentally stupid for sure but nonetheless, this is one of those situations where you will hear what you want to hear. I heard colored the first time and college the second time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YvnOtS4V-Pg

It might very well be this effect at play and nothing else.

It seems like a lot of people are responding very emotionally to what could very well be nothing but an auditory trick.

• SirDerpy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

I’m saying that in this context, both college and colored both make sense.

Tell me you didn’t bother to watch it without telling me you didn’t bother to watch it.

Stop wasting our time, apathetic moderate.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

When you said context, I took it to mean the context of the word itself. I thought, before watching the video, that you meant college wouldn’t make any sense in that phrase.

I’m not even close to being a moderate, but I’m also not a hypocrite that’s going to get all emotional about innocuous things, that’s literally one of the reasons I hate the whole republican party.

Grow up bro, not everyone that challenges you on the internet is automatically some trump loving loser that can only be wrong. We aren’t all knowing sages just because we choose the good side, it’s a fucking easy choice to make anyways.

Write both words on a paper and take turns reading them as it comes up.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

You can click on my history. I’m left enough that I’m essentially a commie.

I’m voting for whoever the Dems want at this point, hell I’d vote for bush if he switched sides and the Dems decided on him.

I don’t participate in circle jerks however, no matter who it benefits.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I’m left enough that I’m essentially a commie.

I’d vote for bush if he switched sides and the Dems decided on him.

I don’t participate in circle jerks however

With ideological and just logical consistency like that, I have no doubt that you WOULD indeed vote for a war criminal as long as he was representing your team 🤦

• Grimy@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Sadly, I’m at the point where anybody is better than trump and his crazies. Ideally, we would have a proper political system that didn’t force us into one camp or the other but you have to be realistic about things.

• elbucho@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Thanks! Looks like the link you provided doesn’t work (at least for me), but if the GET params are removed, it does:

https://x.com/johnvmoore/status/1816093407619453064

I dislike Kilmeade as much as the next guy, but he very clearly said: “a COLLEGE sorority”. There’s not even any ambiguity about it.

Edit: To those downvoting me: just re-play the part where he says “sorority, a college sorority” a few times. You can very clearly hear him enunciating the “ge” sound in “college”. If you’re downvoting because you want him to have said “colored” because it’ll fit some narrative you want, you’re an idiot.

• Otakulad@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

No, he says colored. It is a historically black sorority, and as someone pointed out, there is no reason to point out it is a college sorority.

Also, he seems made he is meeting them in the summer. Did he go home and live with Mom and Dad ever summer? I know a lot of people that stayed on campus every summer.

I also listened to the streamable link, still hear colored.

Lastly, the fact the Republican leaders said don’t say anything racist or sexist, and Fox News doesn’t care, tells me what he said and how he feels.

https://www.wftv.com/news/politics/republican-leaders/FGGTAQAUMZBAZGCBX5JN4GAP54/

• elbucho@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Like, I agree with you that “college sorority” is redundant, but that’s what he said. I understand that it’s a black sorority, and so in the context “colored sorority” would make sense, especially given his history of racist gaffes. So I’d love to agree with you, but that’s not what he said. The audio is the audio, and it doesn’t include the word “colored”.

• JonsJava@lemmy.worldM
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I did just that. I clearly here a je as in college at the end.

I don’t like Fox or anything they stand for, but this level of hair splitting is just bad.

• Moneo@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Fox news anchors are genuinely fucking insane, the clips I’ve seen in the past week are enough evidence of that.

But this man almost certainly said college not coloured. There is clearly no D sound at the end of the word. The lemmy users in this thread saying he 100% said coloured are out to fucking lunch and are adding to my recent desire to leave this website.

Can we have leftist debate without turning into rabid reactionaries please? jfc

• CluelessLemmyng@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

He did not very clearly say that. I have not heard anyone say college like “call-leg”.

However, I do concede that it isn’t clearly color, either.

I suspect his mind wanted to say “colored” and he corrected himself halfway to “col-legd”.

• enkers@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I don’t know how anyone could have possibly heard that as college. To me he quite obviously says “co-ed” which also happens to make more sense if you read their about page:

The Trailblazers of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated Zeta Phi Beta Sorority would be remiss not to pay homage to the first women who believed in the need for a new and different type of Greek-lettered organization and acted upon that need. To these women, Zeta was more than an organization – it was a movement. This belief system reflected, at its core, the desire to provide true Service, embrace Scholarship, set a standard for Sisterly Love, and define the noble concept of Finer Womanhood. This belief has sustained and encouraged Zetas worldwide to hold fast to the ideals initiated and developed by its earliest members.

The Founders of Zeta were strong, principled coeds who possessed a great deal of modesty, strength of character, and pride in academic achievement. They are a worthy foundation upon which to base our illustrious Sorority.

https://zphib1920.org/about/founders-first-initiates/

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

To me he quite obviously says “co-ed”

Maybe, except there’s no reason to say “co-ed sorority” since all sororities are co-ed by definition - I’ve never before heard anyone say “co-ed sorority”. That’s also what makes “college sorority” unlikely (sororities are almost always associated with college), leaving “colored sorority” as the most reasonable interpretation.

• enkers@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

If it wasn’t historically relevant, why would they use the word on their page? Coed is relevant because women used to segregated or not be eligible for higher education at all. He’s taking a shot at women, not people of colour. He yearns for the times women “knew their place” (ugh, I feel gross just typing that) and didn’t seek education or a career.

In any case, that clip sounds to me like “coloured” only a tiny bit more than it sounds like “college”, which is to say, not much.

• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I heard the clip.

It sounds like “collidg”. I don’t think I can say he used the word “colored”, but I will say it seemed like he started to and then swallowed the last half of “college” because his linguistic buffer crashed.

• Optional@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

It was definitely garbled. By him. With his mouth.

I thought about “co-ed”, but what sorority is co-ed?

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

They’re all co-ed. Co-ed is short for “co-educational” and long ago became a synonym for “female student” when they were first admitted to formerly all-male colleges under programs labeled co-educational. That’s why “co-ed sorority” is redundant and a phrase I’ve never in my life heard anyone use.

• prayer@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Co-ed used to be a stand in for “women”, which I think is kinda gross. Kind of like calling women “female”.

• kryptonianCodeMonkey@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m not saying it made sense in the context. The dude is a grade A moron. But he might have been using “co-ed” to mean “young female student,” a common phrasing.

• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

there’s so much blatantly racist shit but yes let’s focus on one word that could very well be a small mistake. Not typical of us lefties at all

• snooggums@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

What other kind of sorority is there that he would need to clarify it is a college sorority?

Don’t buy their attempt at damage control.

• Nougat@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah, he wasn’t trying to make a distinction between “college sororities” and “high school sororities,” because the latter doesn’t even exist.

He said “colored,” and the shred of humanity that’s buried in the base of his skull tried in vain to stop the word coming out as it passed his lips.

• MrVilliam@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I’m not saying that he said college, but I’m also not saying that he didn’t say college. If he did say college, he must have also bumped his mic or something because it sounds like he said something like “collid- sorority” which very much sounds like somebody who doesn’t enunciate the R in “colored” or somebody who started but didn’t finish the G sounds in college.

As for why he would need to clarify college sorority, the right has been demonizing college students since at least the Vietnam war protests. Educated people question authority, so they want fewer educated people to question them. That’s why tuition has gone through the roof, it’s why bankruptcy doesn’t forgive student loans, it’s why certain people have become proud of their ignorance, and it’s why there’s this opposition to student loan forgiveness with the framing of “taking your money to pay off their poor financial decisions”. Specifying “college” while talking about sororities tickles the buzzword receptors in their viewers’ zombie brains so that they can connect the dots to “thing bad because man said ‘college’” because it’s possible that they don’t know that “sorority” already implies “college”. Implicit subtleties are not their forte.

So now they’re in a weird position which is admittedly pretty unimportant culture war stuff: did he say “colored” which is racist of him, or did he say “college” because he assumes that the viewers are so intellectually stunted that he has to spell out that they should be angry because buzzword. Because they don’t give a shit about this, they’ll handwave and say “so what” because they’ve already decided to support and defend who they support and defend. Fox News is their gospel, and they can only be shaken from supporting that gospel if their other gospels (trump, reagan, NRA, televangelism, etc) conflict or outright condemn it.

This won’t move the needle, and some independents might think it’s petty to put a lot of attention on this. It’s probably best to move quickly, point to it and say “hmm, okay he either thinks you’re racist or he thinks you’re dumb. Both are bad. If you join us, people won’t assume that you’re racist or dumb. Prove it by voting for our smart, more equitable policies.”

• snooggums@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

That’s a lot of words to defend a racist after saying you aren’t saying whether or not he said something racist.

• MrVilliam@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Lol I said that he’s either pandering to racists by saying “colored” or pandering to morons by saying “college” and you think I’m defending a racist? Nah, he’s wrong in both cases. I’m pointing out that the only defense they can claim also isn’t good for them.

• Pronell@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Maybe ask the guy sitting next to him who looked pissed off rather than the guy trying to cover his ass after the party was instructed to tone down the racism?

• ImpressiveEssay@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Again… Why not… just ask the guy who fucking said it…

Or yaknow… Listen to the clip. Either one solves the problem pretty quick.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Because, as a Faux News host, he literally lies for a living.

You can’t expect him to answer ANYTHING honestly, least of all if the truth makes him and Faux News look bad.