Seriously, I doubt it would even take that long. We get used to shit so quickly, and the news cycles have to keep feeding us new things, the only way we’d keep talking about the aliens if they kept doing new and interesting things. I’d be willing to bet a year later there would be some people who straight up forgot about it. “Oh yeah, aliens! Are they gonna, like, visit at some point or just keep exchanging calls with the Whitehouse?”

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

My friend and I came to this conclusion like 20 years ago. Once the shock wears off everyone’s minds will adapt, with most people falling into “great, there’s aliens, but I’ve still got to get to work.” I mean the US only sorta screeched to a halt for like a week after 9/11, and most of that was the airline industry. The pandemic was way worse, but the problem was very different. So unless the aliens do something (good or bad) that affected everyone directly - war, disease, super powers, apotheosis, free global WiFi, w/e - we’d all be back up and running in like 4 hours.

• scarabic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

This POV is too extreme but there’s some truth to it. Not only is the news cycle always relentlessly moving on, and not only are attention spans short, but TBH we’ve seen so much sci fi that discovering real aliens would practically feel like old news.

But two things:

1. you’re underestimating how much the news cycle would make of this - it’s a honeypot of ongoing intrigue. It’s got elements of science, government conspiracy, threat of war, and spirituality to it: the media would set up camp around this topic and make a permanent circus of it.

2. there are a lot of smart people in the world who would pay a great deal of attention to the details and facts coming out of this. Yes there are more stupid people than ever but I think there are also more smart people than ever. If you belong to those circles and subscribe to the right media outlets then you know. If you just consume an IG feed everyday, you don’t.

• GladiusB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 hours ago

When the Pope said it was likely they existed EVERYONE knew that meant they are likely out there. I know that religion is not the best cross section of rational science going folks, but that’s the point. When even the angry sky daddy is saying they are somewhere, we are definitely not alone.

Now do we know what they are or if we can even communicate? Fuck if I know.

• zbyte64@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

Counterpoint: we’re still talking about ChatGPT and that, I hope, is not as smart as some aliens capable of intergalactic communication between intelligent species.

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

People as a collective are incredibly stupid. And because of this they’re incredibly easy to manipulate. It has always been this way- it’s just that now, the powers-that-be have figured out exactly how to use them to a perfect advantage.

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 hours ago

It’s not because of a lack of interest. It’s not because we “get used” to things to quickly. It’s because it doesn’t matter. Like, alright. So aliens are real. Aliens have secretly been communicating with all the world’s government.

So… What actually changes?

Is this new information going to fix the housing market? Is capitalism going to change? How is this information going to change corporations squeezing everything dry? Aliens being confirmed is awesome, wondrous news! But… How will I, an average dude, be part of it? What is the point if I wake up tomorrow and everything around me is still the same? Wars are still the same, religions are still the same, the economy, hell, even the information these aliens bring to Earth, only benefits the top 1%.

If I still have to work a shitty job just to barely afford living in a single room, what difference does knowing aliens exist make?

• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

If nothing else developed from the talks, then yes.

But if it started a new conversation with academics, if it opened trade opportunities, if it brought meaningful new technology, it would dominate world discussion for decades.

But if it was a single message sent at the speed of light and we had to wait 50 years for our reply to get back to them, and then 50 more years to hear any more communication…

Yeah, nobody’s going to remember that happened.

• flop_leash_973@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

Given how obviously impressionable and just not “on top of things” the politicians are in the US these days, I’m not sure someone could come up with a argument that convinced me that alien life with the ability to do interplanetary travel would waste their time trying to communicate with our leaders.

Within a day they would just decide to kill all of us for the safety of the galaxy.

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

I think 80% of the world would look up, go “huh. Well, anyway…”

The remaining 20% would be split at either side of the spectrum, with 10% on one side freaking out and trying to whip the 80% into a frenzy, while the last 10% would be a mix of, “PLEASE TAKE ME WITH YOU DON’T LEAVE ME HERE PLEASE”, “HnnnnnnNNNGGG IM COOOOOOMING”, and “Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?”

• DandomRude@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    16 hours ago

It depends, I would say. If the aliens ask unpleasant questions, they would probably be talked about and reported on continuously. Like:

Alien Ambassador: “Why are you destroying your habitat with your eyes open? We don’t understand. Your scientists have proven beyond doubt that you will become extinct if you don’t fundamentally change your ways. Why don’t you care at all?”

Continuous headlines:

“Aliens want to ban humanity from traveling”

“Space fascists want to raise gas prices”

“Go home job-stealing aliens: How outer world wokeness is destroying {any given country}”

• EleventhHour@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 hours ago

Hard disagree. Yes, all the other crazy bullshit would continue, but aliens are here among us isn’t something that would just go away.

• burgersc12@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

At some point it would. We still gotta go to work and no one has enough energy to even give a fuck about potential aliens around us.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 hours ago

Oh, wow, you’re totally gonna love Star Trek when you finally see all 58 years of the shows and films. Then there’s Dr. Who and Star Wars

Sci-fi has been a very profitable genre for at least 60 years. Arguably over 150. From Jules Verne to Gene Roddenberry to George Lucas and Russel T Davies, the imagination of humanity has been ignited— even stoked to wildfire - by these visionaries.

And they’ve existed and continued far beyond the realm of simple profit, as many times, they weren’t profitable. Yet they endure.

Ad astra per aspera— through adversity, we reach for the stars.

• MissJinx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 hours ago

Will I have to keep going to work? Then it doesn’t change my linfe enough for me to care so much. I know it’s a bad thought but life is hard for individuals and it’s hard to care to for aliens if they are not helping feed the kids

• LesserAbe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

I’m with you. Yes, people acclimate to all kinds of things, but sentient aliens are going to take more than a few days.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 hours ago

Idk. A few years ago the US Government released videos of UFOs taken by US Fighter Pilots, and the conversation about the videos didn’t even last a day.

• herrvogel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 hours ago

The clue is in the name. The U stands for unidentified, which means you don’t know what it is, which does not in turn mean that it’s aliens. The only thing those videos proved was that someone’s camera recorded something weird. Prove that those weird things were actually aliens and not some obscure sensor glitch or weather phenomenon or a secret government tech demo, then we’ll freak out.

• LesserAbe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 hours ago

I remember watching them and the conversation about them. But that’s different than proof and admission that sentient alien life exists. It’s one thing to suspect while also having other possible explanations (could be secret tech that we or adversary nations developed, could be sensor errors or optical illusions) and another for the president to be like “I want you to meet ambassador Xlurg”

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        19 hours ago

People will absolutely have a hard shit about it when it happens, but I think that, after so much sci-fi exposure in our culture, humanity (or, most of it) would be able to wrap their heads around the idea of extra-terrestrial aliens. Unfortunately, a lot would probably just see them the same way they see any other “aliens”, and be xenophobic (or exoxenophobic as the case may be) jerks about it.

• nilloc
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 hours ago

We almost certainly will be meeting/interacting with alien tech if it ever happens. Living things just aren’t likely to be evolved to travel the vast distances between stars.

Gonna be AIs talking, if it ever happens.

• fine_sandy_bottom@lemmy.federate.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

Yeah. It would trigger a shit storm in 10 years time we wouldn’t spend all day every day talking about the day we found out aliens existed, we would be talking about the ongoing wars arising as a result of their tech or some other thing.