• msmc101@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 hours ago

Christ a bit of paranoia would do modern internet users good, I still remember when it wasn’t normal to have every single piece of identifying information online and readily available for anyone.

• leisesprecher@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 hours ago

Isn’t that pretty much a thing of the past? This meme is maybe true for Facebook, but most sub 40 people don’t use that anyway and the “public diary” days are also pretty over. Sure, you can stitch together a lot from geolocating Instagram posts and LinkedIn information, but it’s not like it’s the searchable database Facebook was in 2012.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 hours ago

That’s not “readily available”, and it’s certainly not given voluntarily by users, it’s often straight up illegal. That’s a very different case.

• pemptago@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 hours ago

It’s available to whoever is willing to pay. Consent is given when users agree to privacy policies and ToS. Unfortunately, unless you’re in the EU, it’s legal, and when companies violate permissive laws or suffer a data breach, the penalties are often inconsequential. The original comment was vague and didn’t specify the case. In the context of linux users vs MS and Apple, I’m leaning towards a distrust of big tech and “readily available for anyone” being inclusive of a multibillion dollar ad industry and the ecosystems developed around it. Though, technically not anyone can access every piece, so I guess we could dismiss it as a thing of the past.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 hours ago

Though, technically not anyone can access every piece, so I guess we could dismiss it as a thing of the past.

That’s how words work, yes.

The threat of public information for most people is not a data broker, but their neighbor. And unless you have a particularly psychopathic neighbor, they can’t realistically access data from a data broker.

It’s threat modeling like every cyber security. My phone’s password protects me from a random thief, but if a state actor really wants my data, they will get it, but the chances of them even trying are very low for me personally.

• Julian@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

I think the real thing we need to do to attract windows users is have tuxkart installed by default.

• frengo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      Italiano
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Why would i need to? I tried Linux and it’s mental. Took 20 minutes to edit mount settings on my hdd. fstab, gnome disks, and whatnot. Meanwhile Windows is: here’s your files bro, whenever you want. And don’t even get me started with the countless problems i encountered to install apps, edit hdd permissions, configuring panels and more.

• mhague@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        39 minutes ago

I need to try windows again. I remember it being more complex than Linux. I switched just so things were easier. Cygwin! Registry editing! Getting a Microsoft degree just to edit my desktop menus. I didn’t just sit there and install my programs like a good kid and actually wanted to, you know, do things with my computer. And boy did windows hate me for it.

I’m hoping modern IDEs or just having Linux on standby would make Windows simple enough to use.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 hours ago

Yes on Windows I think disks are not mounted, they are just there on the letters

But that works fine on Linux too. I have not used multi-drive systems much, but I use an encrypted SD card that is liked to a folder in my home so that programs dont even need to write to anything custom. Was like a few clicks and even worked on GNOME, on KDE that is easier too.

Panels, yes. KDE had a separate panel config per monitor which is worse than on Windows. But apart from that, they work out of the box and are really customizable.

GNOME… doesnt allow configurations like at all. You need 3rd party apps for everything, then you can do whatever you want, which also works well.

So maybe that just has changed.

• InputZero@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 hour ago

If you wanted to take a second crack at it, it is easier than ever to learn how to use Linux. The one thing I have found ChatGPT useful for is guiding me through setting up a new program or daemon or to explain to me what that super cryptic error message means. ChatGPT is not perfect and requires whoever is using it to sanity check the result it gives, but more often than not I find I walk away with a better understanding of what I was doing.

• 000999@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

I use windows on my PC, mint on my laptop and lineageOS on my phone. Installing linux on a gaming PC feels pointless to me

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 hours ago

I made the full switch probably 1.5y ago. Gaming on Linux is great now. The only major issue is modding. Nexus doesn’t have an app for Linux yet (it’s in development) so you have to install mods manually. That’s not too big of an issue, but it is annoying. Other than that it’s nearly flawless, excluding a few games that have anti-cheats that haven’t added Linux support, like Valorant.

• kboy101222@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

I’ll have you know I know exactly how to install Linux and simply choose not to!

(I ran Ubuntu for 3 years)

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 hours ago

Android is Linux, simply not the traditional userspace :)

Linux Distros have a huge variety. What have you tried?

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      20 hours ago

The key is to have that infinite money glitch, aka be born rich and have parents that stay rich

• IHeartBadCode@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 hours ago

In all fairness paranoia is important in things like finding someone trying to slip a backdoor into xz. Going by the most recent Windows 11 update, Microsoft seems to be “we’ll fix it in production”.

• lemmyng@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 hours ago

Well it wasn’t so much paranoia as obsession. The person who found it wasn’t paranoid, they just went “Why is my connection taking a quarter of a second longer than it used to? This is unacceptable!!!”

• fartsparkles@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

Technically they thought they might have introduced a bug that caused the delay / a regression and set about investigating it. Pretty sure it was a Microsoft developer too.

• Evkob@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 hours ago

Pretty sure it was a Microsoft developer too.

Indeed it was, a PostgreSQL dev by the name of Andres Freund.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

I mean, small things like that add up, you want your stack as optimized as possible

A quarter of a second here, another quarter there, and suddenly it might take 2 seconds longer for a connection to form, which matters a ton. A lot of work in the modern web is going into reducing latency

• kbal@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 hours ago

Windows users have regrets

Mac users have stockholm syndrome

Linux users have a computer

• madthumbs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 hours ago

There are much better kart games out there like Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, or Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled. Tuxkart does have a lot of user created tracks and you can make your own, so there is somewhat a draw for that.

• leopold@lemmy.kde.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

Eh, even with track creation, I prefer Modnation Racers and its spiritual successor LittleBigPlanet Karting. Shame both games are stuck on the PS3, but then SuperTuxKart still looks like it came out of the PS2. They run well in RPCS3 and online still works for track sharing through fan servers.

Also, I wasn’t that impressed by Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled. It does have tons of content, certainly worth the price. Never played the originals and the remake sure does look pretty, but the track design feels pretty simple, probably because they’re from a PS1 game. Simple track layouts, few gimmicks. Some people might prefer that, but not me. I’m sure CTR beat the socks off Mario Kart 64 back in the day, but the tracks in modern Mario Kart are to me far more interesting. I expected more out of it given all the hype. Plus, for some unfathomable reason despite being multiplatform the game was only released on consoles, not PC, so that’s another game you have to emulate to play on PC. And if you do have a console to play it on, it’s locked at 30fps regardless of platform, which is disappointing for a racing game. There’s a 60fps mod if you emulate tho, thankfully.

All-Stars Racing Transformed does have my glowing recommendation, though.

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 hours ago

Nightmare Kart is like playing Mario Kart for the first time again, or Chocobo Racing. Gave me nostalgia for a game I never played before.

• Blisterexe@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 hours ago

Sonic all stars racong transformed is so peak, i played it on me moms ipad when i was little.

• toothbrush@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 hours ago

Tuxkart is really great! One of the really good FOSS games, it has multiplayer and it even supports the wiimote :)

• Resol van Lemmy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Open-source Mario Kart with all the functionality of Mario Kart, and you don’t even have to spend money on an actual Wii.

• madthumbs@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

Mariokart isn’t all that great by today’s standards though. The tracks look pretty and all (Tuxkart not so), but game-play wise Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed blows it away (and it’s even old).

• jqubed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

Mario Kart can be fun depending on how your partner is with video games in general and how you are as a couple competitively. Overcooked can also be a good franchise as a coop game but I’ve also heard in some languages it’s referred to as “divorce kitchen” so your mileage may vary.

• abbadon420@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 hours ago

I’m a windows user and I don’t deny anything. I’m just too lazy to switch to Linux and I need the full functionality of Teams for my job.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

The Linux Teams app works. I’m not sure what is missing other than MS abandoning dev on it

• abbadon420@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 hours ago

For one thing, you can’t make break-out rooms in Linux, which is something I need to do all the time.

• BCsven@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 hours ago

Hmm, that sucks. I was disappointed they trashed it almost as soon as it started…like a Killed By Googke thing

• Petter1@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 hours ago

Crazy, that the web app is missing this, when the windows app is just webView as well…

• Dicska@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    18 hours ago

And then there are the (multiplayer) gamers. It’s great that I can play SO many more offline/single player games than I used to on Linux, but I can’t help if the ones I like to play are all unsupported (and probably will be for a looong time).

I would have switched to Linux about 20 years ago if it was possible, but unfortunately, developing exploit free, stable anti cheats for competitive multiplayers on multiple OS’s is a nightmare, and I get why most developers resort to picking the currently most widely used one. It’s just a shame because otherwise I prefer Linux over Windows in many aspects.

• lefaucet@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 hours ago

I’m really rooting for SteamOS :D

More OS competition the better. As both a windows and Linux user I can tell you 100% Microsoft has been prioritizing data collection over productivity, ease of use and hardware longevity.

Their OS has become more cluttered and awkward than ever

It takes days to clear out all the pop-ups and disable all the things you don’t want. I find the ways of configuring networks and hardware is becoming more convoluted yet no more capable than window XP; nor any simpler.

To disable copilot AI assistant it took IT over a day to figure out. In our business we are legally not permitted to share client data with third parties for any reason. It required doing some obscure command line situation not documented outside of a forum post on Microsoft’s support forums. Same with installing without a Microsoft account and disabling one drive.

Unfortunately we also need to be able to use commercial software that isn’t supported under Linux and sometimes need more obscure software that is Windows only, so we are a bit stuck.

At home I use a couple Linux OSes on my workstation and servers. They are genuinely programmed to operate in as efficient and clean way as possible and I can build from there. It runs just as reliably on 15 year old hardware as it does on my latest rig. I also have a MacBook that runs really well, works seamlessly with my servers, offers the same terminal experience I have on my *nix workstations and never crashes.

*Nixes are more straight-forward, better documented and starts with most addons turned off. If you want, you can install an AI assistant. You certainly won’t have to choose to waste a day figuring out how to disable a pre-installed AI assistant or paying someone hundreds of dollars to disable it.

And I shouldn’t even start on how much a pain in the ass drive letters and fucking backslashes that need to be escaped/unescaped and translated to/from OS-X/*nix paths in data stores… And what the fuck they can’t get a proper sym-link implementation going?

They shoulda done what Apple did with OSX. Recognize OS-9 was saddled with too much complicated under-structure and start over with a clean, mature, standardized, optimized and extensible *nix. NT was a huge improvement over the OG windows, but it’s time for another refresh and what they got cooking with power Shell, Linux subsystem and their obsession with data collection and forcefeeding one cloud/copilot/accounts is not good.

Ah hell, you got me going. I’m ramblin again.

Point is, I’ve daily driven Win, OSX and *nix for decades. Hell, I started with MS-DOS 'cause Windows took too much space on my state-of-the-art 286 with 1 meg of RAM and have been a windows user for the majority of my life. Windows is the most convoluted and bloated and least secure of all the OSes. They’ve only kept their dominance through educating a generation of engineers on .net/direct-x, locking companies in with Office/outlook and promising corporations to spy on employees…

…The end.