Today I found out that it’s actually a lot easier to contribute to Open Street Map than I thought. There are some serious gaps in house addresses in my area and I was painstakingly using the built in browser editor in the browser.

But, you can use a FOSS app (available on fdroid) called StreetComplete that makes it a lot easier to help out filling in the gaps in your local map data.

It’s really fun - kind of like Pokémon Go but you are actually making an impact 😁

• Schlemmy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m addicted to Streetcomplete. I’m 20.000+ edits in. I make about 100 with ease on my commute to work.

• agent_flounder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I installed it. Judging by the mass of blank info, I guess I’m the only person around here using it lol. 😳

• Schlemmy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

That’s exactly what happened. Fortunately I have 4 different offices and I can work from ‘home’ anywhere so sometimes I go work at a friend’s place instead of working at my place.

• merde alors@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

In order to use this app, you will need to have the proprietary Google Play Services for AR app installed on your device as well.

🤐

edit: this is for StreetMeasure

• Schlemmy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

_What are the system requirements of this app?

StreetComplete requires Android 5.0, and a screen size of at least 4.3" is recommend. Apart from that, any reasonably modern phone (at least 2GB RAM, around 500MB of free space) should support it. It doesn’t require Google Play Services_

Edit: You were aiming at Streetcomplete, I see now. This is in their FAQ:

According to our tests, it does work without Google Play Services being installed, but, as said before, the device needs to be compatible.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/StreetComplete/FAQ

• Schlemmy@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

_What are the system requirements of this app?

StreetComplete requires Android 5.0, and a screen size of at least 4.3" is recommend. Apart from that, any reasonably modern phone (at least 2GB RAM, around 500MB of free space) should support it. It doesn’t require Google Play Services_

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Is there an open street map based map app that shows live traffic? I’m trying to get my grandfather to switch to open source, and he says it’s the one feature he needs.

• navordar@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

If it is free as in beer, but not as in freedom, and is developed by a company, then what is their business model?

• Schlemmy@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

This is what they’ve put on their FAQ

Magic Earth is free for all our end-users but we also have a paid Magic Earth SDK for business partners. For instance Selectric.de (a supplier for navigation solutions for ambulances and fire trucks), Smarter AI (developing ADAS systems) or Absolute Cycling (using the platform on bicycles). For more info on the SDK, you can check magiclane.com.

• Schlemmy@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Indeed it isn’t. But is privacy focused and sort of the best next thing.

• thehellrocc@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Yeah, I was just pointing it out for transparency, as this is the OSS community. Still a noteworthy app, though.

• thejevans@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

No, unfortunately not. Getting traffic data would mean users volunteering to share location data, would need a centralized system to process everything, and would need a critical mass of users sharing said data to be anywhere near useful. The other possibility would be to pay for data from a provider like Google under an enterprise license that doesn’t require sharing data back, but I don’t know if that is even an option.

For now, I use both on my phone. I use OSM when biking or walking, I use Google Maps when driving, and I use my local transit web app when taking transit. I plan to switch my Pixel phone to GrapheneOS and to sandbox Google services that I still need. That being said, the ultimate way around needing traffic information is to try to live in places and in such a way that driving is not very necessary, but I know that is a huge ask for a lot of people.

EDIT: To be clear, MagicEarth does have live traffic as @Schlemmy@lemmy.ml pointed out and is based on OSM, but is not itself open source.

• notExactlyI20@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

OSMand has a feature where it can process other info as tiles on top of the base openstreetmap data it downloads, so what I did was pulling satellite and live traffic data from google and make them work as tiles and it works perfect (although it doesnt take traffic data into consideration when routing, it only shows it as a picture on top of the map, doesn’t bother me).

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

kind of like Pokémon Go but you are actually making an impact

I caught the whole first generation + my favorite Celebi. How’s that for an impact?

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I bow before the king! I think I had some shitty <20 IV there as well, but my goal since the beginning was to catch the ones I’ve been watching in the anime as a kid, didn’t much care about other generations (well, I remember a little bit of gen 2 from my youth as well).

• ExLisper@linux.community
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I didn´t realize editing OSM is so easy. I just logged in, did a short tutorial and fixed one intersection where a week ago the app told to do an illegal turn. Awesome!

• redcalcium@lemmy.institute
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

There is a “road” near my house in OSM that does not exist and OSM is always trying to route me though it, which is very annoying. Is there any way to mark them for removal? StreetComplete doesn’t seem to have that capability.

• Tiuku@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You can always long press on a problematic place and leave a freeform note. A more experienced mapper can then fix the issue.

• gens@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I have a similar problem. Two entrances to my building got their numbers reversed.

If anybody knows if the app can fix it, i’l get it and make an account.

• eeleech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It should be possible using the address overlay in the app. Otherwise you could leave a note or use the web based editor on the OSM homepage.

• StorageAware@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You could use the editor on the website which although messy, would work fine for removing a road on mobile. Or you can use an app like Vespucci which is more advanced, but it also has a bit more of a learning curve. Or you can create a note like others have recommended but depending on the activity in the area might not be seen for a while.

• redcalcium@lemmy.institute
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Wow you’re right! I didn’t know they have an online editor. I thought the app is the only way to submit changes. I’m able to delete the section of the road that don’t actually exist in my area, let’s see if the changes will be accepted. Thanks!

• StorageAware@lemmings.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yep, StreetComplete is one of the many editors for OpenStreetMap! Just to name a few:

Mobile (Android & iOS Mixed):

• Vespucci.
          • EveryDoor
          • Go Map!!

Desktop:

• iD (the online editor on the website)
          • RapiD
          • JOSM
          • Level0

And many more! There’s a list on the OpenStreetMap wiki.

• moitoi@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’m contributing at my level. But, when I see all the errors, issues and missing object around me, it’s a full time job for at least one months.

• the_third@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah. When I started in 2007 my area was a white canvas. Now we’re mapping fences around tree plantations. It’s a marathon, not a race.

• suoko@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Maps.me and organicsmaps apps are great too to edit osm. You can also replace google maps and its navigator which is great because if you don’t find something on maps.me, you can immediately add it.

• Zacryon@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I don’t really know or use Open Street Map, so I wonder:

Can everyone just manipulate the map data? Is there some sort of control mechanism or is it easy to incorporate fake data?

I’m asking because this seems to be a really fallible concept, where people with malicious intents would have an easy way to disturb Open Street Map.

• brainlessnick@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Yes, but similar to Wikipedia (where the same holds true) the forces fo good and honest seem to prevail.

• schnurrito
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Even more than on Wikipedia. The problem with Wikipedia is it tries to use a wiki to write about contentious issues like politics, culture war, religion, national conflicts etc. too and wikis just aren’t a very suitable mechanism for that. OSM tries to limit itself to completely objective facts about the world, wikis are very well suited for that.

• Takios@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I recently contributed a business change and got a message a few hours later that I had made a mistake and a small explanation on how to fix it.

This probably depends on the area, but at least changes in my area seem to be monitored by good people.

• schnurrito
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It is a wiki. While anyone can add fake data, there are monitoring tools to make sure that if someone does that, others will notice and remove it again.

• Rhllor@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yes and no. If I remember correctly, it was pokemon go utilizing OSM for the kind of Pokemon you could find in a given area which led to some manipulation. You could probably also get away with changing or hiding something in Nowhere, Idaho.

The bigger issue is probably outdated data. Shops or restaurants in urban areas change fairly quickly, it’s quite hard to keep up with those.

• Taalen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Very glad I saw this. I’ve been getting increasingly fed up with Google Maps. Their map in my area is full of annoying errors, such as routing you through roads that haven’t existed for a decade, or along private roads that are not open to the public. And no matter how many times I report them, nothing ever gets fixed. Going to give OSM a try and hopefully make the switch for good. Already saw that the map in my area is in much better shape than Google’s.

• twistypencil@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Street complete is amazing. I’ve been obsessed with it for a couple years. I never would have made hundreds of OSM submissions without it. Whenever I’m bored, sitting in some place waiting, instead of doom scrolling, I pull out up and see if there is anything I can contribute to the area

• UraniumBlazer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Oh heck yea! My neighborhood is better mapped on OSM than Google Maps even now! Very fulfilling to see.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My shed is mapped in OSM.

Meanwhile Google maps has not got the shed and has the entirety of my property about 10 ft east of its actual location. Essentially terraced up to a neighbouring property even though it’s not connected to that property and there is an alleyway.

But I suppose I could say that doesn’t really matter for street navigation, which is what Google maps is actually for.

• UraniumBlazer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Naaah mate… it can matter a lot lol. We have a road closure (for the past few months) in our neighborhood. Google maps still hasn’t updated it. I routinely see drivers driving up to it and getting annoyed for having to turn back. This wouldn’t have happened had they used OSM tho!