link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Honestly it’s more like

Oh boy, a well-defined task with a beginning, progress, an end, and an obvious benefit to someone! I get to be valuable!

versus

I have several days’ worth of clean clothes, there is no need to rush

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, tbh, I tend to not do a lot of my chores because… I don’t feel the need to. Why clean when I’m ok with the current level of dirtyness? Why wash when I still got clean stuff that I want to wear? Etc.

• dependencyInjection@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Exactly this, for me at least.

I was a failure relative to my peers in my late thirties, got diagnosed with ADHD and it’s insane.

So before I always wanted to be a software developer but I couldn’t finish shit, and just procrastinated and kept learning but never progressing.

Afterwards, I am now a software developer and working from a massive spec sheet has kept me engaged the whole time. I still suck at planning but give me a plan and I’ll knock it put the park.

What remains to be seen is if I still have the same vigour, 1 year, 2 years in etc.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

For me personally, even if I don’t have days of clean clothes and NEED to do laundry like right now, it’s still way harder to do something for myself than it is to do it for someone else.

• denaggels@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Sometimes it helps to think of yourself as a friend you are helping out.

• rtxn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Try doing it out of spite.

“That lump of shit in my cranium thinks I can’t do this task, well, I’ll show you, you glob of expired tapioca pudding!”

• Martineski@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I have heard that self-talk actually helps you at doing tasks but I never managed to learn it so I can’t speak from experience.

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

The Kimya Dawson song “The Competition” is a great anthem for this.

I just wanted to prove wrong the voices in my head… the ones that told me that I would never win
          When I delivered newspapers they said I was to slow
          When I was a barista they said I made lousy foam
          When I worked in retail they said I was a slob
          Much too dumb for school and much too lazy for a job
          So I rode my bike like lightning
          I made cappuccinos that would make the angels sing
          Took two showers a day and I dressed up like a princess
          Shook my fist in my own face and said “I’ll show you who’s the best!”

• TDCN@feddit.dk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

for me this is just eventually causing burnout and i end up in a dark place instead.

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

A cogent warning. This is a great way to pump yourself up, but you can’t be always on. You have to give yourself time without motivation to recover. I’ve definitely overdone it and ended up in a days-long depressive funk.

• rustyfish@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I am still fighting with back pain from last weekend, when I helped friends to carry 9 cubic meters of firewood. Would help again any time.

I am also, in this very moment, fighting to get up from my couch and start, at the very least fucking start my washing machine or dishwasher. I am loosing.

• Anamana@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

With this site I feel it’s like… aren’t these problems everyone suffers from? Or am I just projecting my potential fear of having a condition 😅

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

As has been said previously to this question: most people likely have issues like this from time to time, what makes it problematic is having them almost constantly and to such a degree that it’s crippling.

Everyone coughs from time to time, but if you have a chronic cough that’s so bad that you cough up blood every time, that’s not normal and you need to see a doctor.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Kinda. One post I like to quote is the one that says that everybody pees too, but if you do it 30 times in an hour you need a doctor. ADHD is relatable to everyone because everybody deals with our problems to some extent, just in much more manageable doses.

• Funbreaker [she/her]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The thing that separates a disorder from a normal issue is the magnitude and/or frequency of occurrence. E.G. most people that currently have a uterus will get cramps on their period, but if they’re actively in pain instead of just uncomfortable something is probably wrong

• SasquatchBanana@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Well if you have cramps that are painful go see a doctor. If you are talking about having ADHD, just go with the flow and enjoy the memes. If you can connect with them then do so. If after a while you feel like you relate too much you can look up more about the condition and get an assessment.

Nonetheless, just vibe and enjoy the memes.

• Laticauda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

That is a bad example because many women are actively in pain with cramps and have seen a doctor about it but have been told they’re just unlucky.

• Piers@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

If everyone had this particular issue the world would be very different I think.

• Anamana@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Just pondering on my own misery, cause I can relate is all. Wasn’t trying to put OP down for feeling it. I’ll try to be more careful with the wording next time thx

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Oh, I didn’t share this to say that I’m going to ban you. I just thought that this post would answer your question. I made a lot of comments today and I was too tired to bother with explaining things.

• towerful@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I figure I have ADHD or some flavour. Mentioned it to my family, my sister went “huh” and got diagnosed.
          Im still waiting

• NocturnalMorning@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Is this really an ADHD thing? I will go out of my way to help other people, but yeah, I can’t be bothered to fold my own laundry so I just throw it all in a clothes basket and stick it in the closet.

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s not exclusively ADHD but a lot of us ADHD folks seem to be like this.

The difference I think is for ADHD it’s not “can’t be bothered to fold my own laundry” it’s “I cannot force myself to fold laundry and if I try I will lose focus on the task and be scrolling my phone within 30 seconds of starting.”

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

more than that, in my experience when i simply cannot do something and try to force myself to do it, it leads to me feeling like i’m going to die.

The phone scrolling is a form of self-defence to distract from that feeling of “i’m useless and god is about to smite me for sucking so hard”

• Ser Salty@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

There’s just this… dread or uneasiness whenever I’m forced or forcing myself to do something. Like, cleaning is great on the rare occassion I just naturally have the energy and will to do it, but anytime else it’s like torture.

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Same, at this point i have decided that it is never going to be worth the effort and it’s absolutely fine to just roll it up and toss it in the drawers, that’s muuuuuch easier for me and still makes it possible to organize things well enough.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The laundry was just an example. Apply having problems to every activity, even those that you like to do. Helping others serves as an external source of motivation on which ADHD people thrive. Our brains have problems with motivating us/our body to do things that we want to do without some kind of external pressure/motivation. I don’t remember the specifics properly although I watched videos on that ~7 days ago for the x damn time. Here are videos explaining what I was trying explain in more detail: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

You just linked over an hours worth of video with only a vague description as to why someone should watch them…to an audience of ADHD people. Would you care to place a wager on many people will watch them? 😆😆😆

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Check other memes/screenshots on the sub and and if you relate to most of them and do stuff in them way more often than average person then you may have an undiagnosed ADHD or other disorder with similar symptoms.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

It’s not undiagnosed. It’s very obvious I have adhd. Didn’t figure it out until I was like 25-26 though. College was rough having undiagnosed adhd.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, obviously laundry isn’t my only problem. It seeps into every aspect of my life. Motivation to do stuff is usually not high unless it’s new to me.

• Swedneck
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

humans are inherently social animals, so helping others is programmed to make us feel good

what is a common part of ADHD? that’s right, being really sensitive to rewards and easily getting addicted.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I get hyper focused on stuff too, will sit for hours working my computer on video games even though I know I need to sleep.

• agent_flounder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It isn’t just laundry of course. This meme speaks to motivation as other folks commented.

Motivation can come from emotion either from response to external input or ones own thinking.

Motivation can also come from the brain’s executive function, where you decide to “Just do it”.

So if someone yells angrily at me to do a thing, or if I am freaking because the deadline is early upon me, or there is an emergency, or if a friend asks for help, the emotions can motivate me easily as is the case for anyone.

If I know I need to work on a boring thing today to save myself from panic later, the “just do it” part of my brain doesn’t have enough oomph to actually get me to do the thing. Like, no amount of pushing myself, self goading, self talk, nothing. It’s like trying to push a car alone with the parking brake on. I just can’t budge myself.

When I am on medication, it can still be hard but I actually feel like getting something done, I want to do it, and I am able to just will myself to do the thing. I can just be like “yeah this sucks, it’s boring but fuck it let’s do this” and then, unlike before, I actually start doing it. Which is still a marvel to me even though I have been on meds for several years. I don’t think most people find self motivation to be a novel thing to marvel over. I think most people are more able to convince themselves to do the sucky boring thing if they just set their mind to it. Being able to do that (even if difficult) is taken for granted.

Which is why ADHD people are told they are lazy or told to “just do it already”. Normal people don’t know what it is like to have a broken “just do it cortex” :)

One of Dr. Barkley’s videos explain the motivation issue really well.

And the thing with ADHD is that it is a constant, every minute of every day struggle with motivation if your line of work involves too little excitement and a lot of tedious boring stuff.

It was bad enough with me that the only way to function even close to average was to be in constant fear and panic about forgetting things, missing deadlines, getting in (more) trouble, while failing to avoid those things constantly and gaining a reputation as an unreliable lazy flake, eroding trust, and performing poorly in work, school, in relationships. The result was getting lower grades than I could have without ADHD as well as missing out on career growth, losing friends, etc.