Thanks for all the interesting replies! Given the response, I decided to make a whole community around this, hope you’ll consider joining!

If you liked this thread, you might like: !likethismaylike@lemm.ee

Remember, if you’re on a different instance you may have to search the url first: https://lemm.ee/c/likethismaylike

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I love rock bands with women on the vocals. I like Dead Sara, The Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, The Beaches, The Warning, In This Moment, Metric, The Interrupters, Larkin Poe. Lots more but that’s a good sample.

What other bands/artists might I like?

Edit: thank you everyone for the recommendations! I have so much new stuff to listen to!

• raptir@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Have you tried venturing more towards the metal side like…

• Lacuna Coil
      • After Forever
      • A Sound of Thunder (probably more rock)
      • Arch Enemy
      • Epica
      • Unleash the Archers
      • ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I’ve seen Epica live, unfortunately whoever was on sound that day really fucked it up.

I’ve seen Arch Enemy too, with good sound, but I would trade that experience to see Lacuna Coil… I know they are popular but I still feel like they are massively underappreciated.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Haha yes, although it feels a bit weird thinking of her that way considering most fans of the band have seen her boobs at this point lol

• DirigibleProtein@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago
      • Veruca Salt
      • The Go-Go’s
      • The Bangles
      • Wilson Phillips
      • Bananarama
      • Sugababes

Ok, I’m old and my tastes might be different to yours 😜

• Konlanx@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I would like to ask a similar question:

I very much like the “the beauty and the beast” - styled metal. That’s at least what I read online sometime what it’s called.

The mix of a male voice growling and a female voice singing melodic kinda does it for me, but so far I had very little luck finding stuff that fits, actually just a few songs.

Any recommendations?

• Malta Soron@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

A lot of symphonic metal bands are like that. On the top of my head, you could check out Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica and Unleash the Archers.

• Alter_Id@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Tristania - World of Glass, and if you like that check out the two albums before it as well.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

I’m sure Epica has that aspect, but I would instead recommend … The Project Hate MCMXCIX!!!

Pretty much all of it is exactly as described, aggressive male, melodic female. They are excellent.

Sorry, here’s a Spotify link, couldn’t find this track on youtube

https://open.spotify.com/track/5yKIKRcUAlSW6H1JFdZIF1?si=8d9c960d206e4820

Oh man, I had forgotten about these guys, they are freakin excellent. The track name is ‘At the Entrance of Hell’s Unholy Fire’

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

And ‘Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate’ is a really great album. I would actually recommend listening to that one first.

I found this band by accident because I was looking for Hate.

• Christian@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Just their early stuff - self-titled debut, Velvet Darkness They Fear, A Rose for the Dead, Aegis. The stuff afterwards isn’t bad, but it’s not the same genre.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

July Talk would be my #1 recommendation. They are fantastic and perfectly fit your description.

• DirigibleProtein@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

There are a few songs around with Max Cavalera (Sepultura, Soulfly) and Maria Brink (In This Moment). Not at home at the moment, can’t check my collection, but if you can find them, they’re probably the sort of thing you like.

• Mostly_Gristle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Well, you’re in luck because we are living in basically the platinum age of women fronting cool rock bands.

Just off the top of my head:

Bones UK, Sniffany and the Nits, Cable Ties, Amyl and the Sniffers, Mod Con, Waax, Gutter Girls, Flagipanis, Panic Shack, Tiger Pussy, The Hellfreaks, The Darts, The Creepshow, The Spookshow, Zombina and the Skeletones, Bat Fangs, La Butcherettes, The Death Valley Girls, Sleater Kinney, The Veleteers, The Julie Ruin, The Bobby Lees, The Coathangers, The Regrettes, The Pink Slips, The Blushes, Bratmobile, LA Machina, Scrunchies, Skating Polly, and The Nova Twins.

I could dig up more if I start scrolling through my playlists, but there are tons of women out there right now making great music. Seems like every time I turn around there’s some cool new thing.

• No1@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I’m on a Tulip binge right now.

Her voice is amazing. Give a few songs a listen and you’ll be hooked!

Midnight in the Desert remastered, Bird set free and Dimensional Rift unplugged are great

• PipedLinkBot@feddit.rocksB
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Here is an alternative Piped link(s):

Tulip

Piped is a privacy-respecting open-source alternative frontend to YouTube.

I’m open-source; check me out at GitHub.

• space@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I really like more melodic stuff, and my favorites are Ad Infinitum, Dark side of the Moon, Enemy Inside, Beyond the Black, Scarlet Dorn

• shapesandstuff@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I’ll go a bit more into my niche. Might not be what you’re looking for but it’s all female or female fronted rock in a broader sense. Genres here are Stoner, Doom and Death metal.

Blackwater Holylight
      L.A. Witch
      Hippie Death Cult
      Brutus
      Archenemy
      Throne Hammer

• BodePlotHole@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

The Bird and the Bee, Black Moth, Blondshell, Bent Knee, Buke & Gase, Guerilla Toss, L’imperitrice, Lucifer, The Mysterones, Nico Vega, The Octopus Project, Orchards, Radiation City, No Doubt {first few albums, not the new garbage), Save Ferris, Rubblebucket, Elise Trouw

• recidivi5t@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

The benefit of living in NYC (I recently moved after living there for nearly 25 years)! I remember one show where they didn’t have a full band and Oren played drums and guitar at the same time. The space in their music allows for that sort of thing, but it still was pretty cool to see.

• letraset@feddit.dk
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I liked them a lot before I read this. Now I like them even more (:

I remember getting their newsletter where they would regularly announce live shows in NYC. It’s nice having live music on tap like that.

• Grenfur@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Halocene, she does a bunch of covers of old rock songs from around the early 2000s. It’s like fresh nostalgia straight into my ears. Her original stuff is also pretty good :)

• Bldck@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I wonder if you’d like Sleigh Bells. Twee pop vocals over grungy guitar. A lot of fun

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I really liked the song Demons after hearing it on Netflix’s Jessica Jones. But I looked into their other stuff and it felt a bit less my style. Maybe I should give them another go…

• LanternEverywhere@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

A few great ones come to mind but they’re a bit more punky than your examples. Like I’m thinking of The Muffs, who are fucking kickass!!!

• gnzl@nc.gnzl.cl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

You have a lot of recommendations already but I’d like to add two of my favorites: Courtney Barnett and Alvvays!

• markus@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Really surprised no one mentioned The Distillers Some more:

• Ida Maria
      • Petrol Girls
      • NOBRO
      • Sincere Engineer
      • Not On Tour
      • Paramore
      • Vulvarine
    • Malta Soron@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

There are a lot of Asian female fronted rock bands, like BabyMetal, Lovebites, Gacharic Spin and Asterism. EDIT: also Hanabie.