link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The author calls it JIF. He intended it as Jif because he has butter fingers and like butter brand JIF.

I’m used to hard G though.

• Nora@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

And British people made English, but they don’t say anything right either.

• mookulator@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I know he says it’s pronounced “jif”, but I just don’t care. It’s like “gift” without the t

• EmoDuck@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Let’s be honest here, English does not have that level of consistency. “Women” is pronounced with an “i” for christ sake

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Because the a in woman is pronounced the same way the e in women is pronounced…

Probably that was originally introduced by some medieval swinger society, so they could say that they are faithful to their women and technically not be lying about it. When the church figured out they introduced the o as an i thing.

• Pyro@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Because the a in woman is pronounced the same way the e in women is pronounced…

woman = wum-en
            women = wim-in

Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree with you there, chief.

• i always eas taught the plural to be pronounced as “wi-men” I also cannot remember any english TV show or so to talk about wimin, so where the second ibis explicit as an i and distinguishable from an e

• Raiden11X@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Say the word “though” in your head. Then add a “t” to it. Would you really argue that “though” and “thought” are pronounced the same simply because they’re the same spelling save for a final “t”?

The easiest “rule” is that the creator can decide how to pronounce and spell it lol. Taking English rules that don’t even apply 100% of the time to its own words and trying to hold made-up words to the same standards just sounds silly to me haha

• penguin@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

There are no rules to how new words come into being or how old ones change.

If everyone says a word a certain way with certain meaning, then that’s what it is. One person doesn’t get to decide.

• nothing@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, I always read it as “Jif” then came the correctness police of Reddit and I was bullied into “Gif” by guilt.

And now some 8-40 years later, I feel anything but “Gif” is wrong. Help!

• zefiax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Ya and in English, we pronounce things like giant, giraffe, gin, etc. with a “j” sound.

• zefiax@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

English doesn’t work that way. Man is the closest work to woman. Doesn’t mean you pronounce the “m” “a” “n” in the two words the same way.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

English works like all languages. It’s organic and full of exceptions. New words pop up, old ones die, pronunciations change and differ between similar words.

Most people chose to say gif like gift. One person doesn’t get to change it just because of who they are. Otherwise celebrities can start changing things.

This is all like the Mean Girls scene where the girl was trying to make “fetch” happen and the other girl shot her down.

• tryptaminev 🇵🇸 🇺🇦 🇪🇺@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Nobody made english, nor is a language static. It is an everchanging result of millions of people using and evolving it.

A language that doesn’t change is dead, like latin is. So any rule of how something is supposed to be in a language is subject to time and place, but never absolute.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

That’s my point. If everyone pronounces a word a certain way, THAT is its correct pronunciation. The first person to say a thing doesn’t get to tell everyone else they’re wrong.

Everyone started using the word “literally” to mean figuratively, so the official definition changed to mean either or.

Everyone says GIF similar to gift, then that’s the proper pronunciation. Creator has no say.

• Tater291@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

He didn’t intend shit. He just wanted to watch the world burn!

• QuadratureSurfer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m sorry, but he waited 26 years to tell everyone how it’s pronounced… at this point you can go with the majority, or stick with however you want to pronounce it.

• MisterFrog@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

This makes no sense. It stands for “Graphics Interchange Format”, do they pronounce it jraphics too?

• Raiden11X@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

There are so many examples in this thread alone as to why this rule doesn’t work.

SCUBA: the U is for “underwater” and the A is for “apparatus”. We don’t pronounce it “SC-uh-B-ahhh”.
        JPEG: The P is for “photographic”. We don’t pronounce it “JayFeg”.
        LASER: The E is for “emission”. We don’t pronounce it “Lay-See-R”.
        RADAR: The second A is for “And” (lol). We don’t pronounce it “Ray-Day-R”.

The easiest “rule” is just the guy who made it up can dictate how they want it spelled and to pronounce. The word is made up anyway, and isn’t subject to rules that actual English words have been subjected to for however long the language evolved.

• omega_x3@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

The guy that came up with with the acronym for unidentified flying object also wrote that it should pronounced you-fo but everyone spells it out because that is less confusing. So there is an example of the creator being ignored.

• MisterFrog@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yep, I take your point

Seems an odd choice in gif’s case still, as you can use the starting letter sounds from each word and it doesn’t sound weird.

Not the same for jpeg. P by itself doesn’t make a ph sound.

• MilitantAtheist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t really give a fuck what he intended. If he wanted it to be pronounced JIF he should have named it that.

• nxfsi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

G in gif stands for graphics just like how P in jpeg stands for poto

• Gilberto@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

English is phonetically inconsistent, you can find examples to support both ways of pronouncing it.

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

There are some consistencies in letter patterns, just not in individual letters. For example, no word that starts with go-, ga-, or gu- pronounces the g like a j (except for the archaic gaol, and there’s a reason the spelling was changed to jail). It’s mainly limited to ge- and gi- words.

Inconsistencies with the other options are probably due either to how the term came into English (English is practically built on loanwords) or some other subsequent pattern of letters I’m too lazy to try to identify.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The only real rule is that words come and go and change organically. People don’t just decree that a word needs to change like some king of language.

• betheydocrime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Hard G and soft G are both acceptable pronunciations, the only way to be wrong in the situation is to insist that your preferred way to pronounce it is the only correct way to pronounce it

Oh, except silent G. Silent G is wrong.

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

In English the correct way to pronounce something is the way that will most reliably communicate to your intended audience without ambiguity or distraction.

Since my intention is usually to convey my superior knowledge of trivia and/or to stir shit up, I pronounce it with a soft g.

• Cyanogenmon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I hate you feel that way. Can I get you a jift to make you feel better?

It will be a guygantic jift. A large external drive that can hold MANY jiggabytes. Just be careful, it will take a lot of power. 1.21 jiggawatts at least.

• protist@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

But the g in gif stands for “graphical,” not “giraffe!” You silly goose

• TommySalami@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

yeah man, just like you go scuba diving oo-nderwater.

it’s a dead end. We can’t pretend that “g” can’t also be pronounced as “j”, or that the words making up the acronym matter. It’s all preference and since GIF’s dad called it “jif”, I’m gonna call it “jif”. At least that’s based on something beyond my own hubris.

• Cyanogenmon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

This is my thinking - as far as I know he actually called it that as a reference to jif peanut butter.

• Instigate@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Saying it with a hard G because ‘graphical’ has a hard G is a reason based on something beyond hubris.

• SuperIce@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That’s easily the worst reasoning for the hard-g considering how we don’t pronounce the letters of most acronyms based on the phrases they come from.

• Nora@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Tell that to Qantas, the abomination of all acronyms. WHERE IS THE U??? AAAAAAAAA

• kibiz0r@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

The p in jpeg stands for “photographic”.

So… “jay-feg”?

• 𝕄𝕒𝕡𝕝𝕖ℂ𝕠𝕗𝕗𝕖𝕖@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

This comment section is killing me lmao.

You have people saying that language is fluid, and that one person cannot decide which pronunciation is correct. Then, in that same comment, they say that their preferred pronunciation is obviously correct.

Hard g, soft g, you do you. It really doesn’t change much.

• K Vinayak @lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I say jif. But when heard someone say jithub instead of github i felt the cringe

• Yawweee877h444@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s pronounced gif with a hard G.

When I rise to power anyone who disagrees will be immediately found guilty of thought crimes and sentenced to castration, followed by execution, in that order.

• maporita@unilem.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Next thing people will be pronouncing SQL as “sequel” and then where will we be?