• Thornburywitch@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 days ago

It’s my birthday, and I’m going to the dentist. Boo. On the plus side, I’m taking today off so will go op shopping afterwards.
    EDIT: Thank you all so much! I have my eye on a few things at the local Sacred Heart …

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

Hi everyone - thank you again for all your good wishes. This means a lot to me.
    Home again after a marathon opshoppery - haul includes: two (two!) gucci sweaters in my size, one black one blue. Some tailored winter wool trousers in black. All in good nick. Am sorted this winter and probably next. A rather beautiful carnival glass ashtray which I will use as a housekeys dumpspot. Some nice costume jewellery - a brass chain necklace of thin ceramic plaques hand painted with autumn leaves, a brooch made from a small turtle shell (sans turtle) with I think gold fittings and a couple of rock crystal necklaces that I am going to repurpose at some point in the future. I do like Reservoir for opshoppery, and Essendon is stupendous - I had no idea the opshops were so good there. Definitely worth a trip out to that part of town. Fitzroy & Collingwood and Thornbury were all a bit disappointing.

• just_kitten@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Nice find! Very jelly of the sweaters and trousers.

Fitzroy through to even Preston these days has gentrified to the point that the op shops aren’t worth it. Essendon is much more of a hidden gem that way, hipsters never think of it! Reservoir is still scungey enough but I think it’s basically the next Preston

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          16 days ago

Coburg North most definitely has been breached and I think Pascoe Vale has too. The M80 is the new fence… based on the style and pattern of the developments in the suburbs beyond though, I would be very surprised if the hipsters (in itself an outdated term now, again…) made it there. Much more car dependent and fewer mixed use/retail spaces compared to the postwar areas.

• AJ Sadauskas@aus.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 days ago

@just_kitten @Thornburywitch Many of the OG hipsters have moved west to Footscray and Yarraville.

Or they decamped during the pandemic, and migrated to one of the towns around Castlemaine or Belgrave.

There’s also a steady cross-border migration to Newtown and Marrickville in Sydney.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              16 days ago

Definitely heading west - add Spotswood, Seddon and Newport to that list. Though I’ll be darned if I start seeing them any further! Altona, maybe.

Castlemaine has been known as North Northcote for a while now, I wonder what other towns are gaining that reputation.

• Force_majeure123@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

I am feeling quite lost and down with recent work developments. This is my first “real” job and it’s quite hurtful how little senior management values me (and everyone else). Have been unable to sleep well recently with ruminations re: future prospects, the whole negotiating new role, and now… leaving this employer. They literally don’t give a fuck and are dispensing with good staff just to maintain this power of “no we won’t give anyone a raise, doesn’t matter what”. We’re paid significantly below average for our roles and it fucking sucks. Our brand means there is a horde of new applicants just waiting, and everyone is viewed as dispensable. Idk I just want to rant about it. First time looking to leave a long term role too 😞 now I’m going to bed because I had three hours sleep last night, and the last week my sleep has been fucked in general just overthinking

• wscholermann@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Most senior management anywhere are sociopaths. They aren’t worth your hurt feelings, and I can assure you they certainly aren’t losing sleep.

I’ve been through a number of job losses. Over time you will learn to take it less personally knowing that management are fucked everywhere.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

I am bummed out on your behalf too. That sounds like such a disappointing turn of events. Sadly, companies like that will always exist, even in the fabled Nordic countries, to churn people through.

I hope you are able to quell any feelings of “is this the best I could get for my first real job” and instead see it as a stepping stone you can look back on as some kind of formative experience… I appreciate that it’s hard to secure permanent jobs in some sectors but from everything you’ve mentioned it sounds like if you’re not concerned about needing a perm job for mortgages/family, then it might be best to cut your losses and go somewhere you’re more appreciated.

Is there a mentor or anyone in the industry you could speak to for advice?

• underwatermagpies@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Having been through something similar recently- get out soon, for your own sake. It won’t get better, and if they write you off as ‘difficult’ for not playing along it may get worse. Start looking around while you try to care a bit less.

Also, exercise is great for clearing your head, reducing stress levels, and making it easier to sleep.

Take care. There are better places out there.

• Gibsonisafluffybutt@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

I know exactly how you feel. It’s like being completely blindsided by what they really think about you as a person.

Corporate is full of people who are there to enrich themselves at any cost, and will fuck you over at the drop of a hat.

I’m sorry you’re hurt, but try to see it as a learning experience. Give them what they pay you for and not a minute more.

And if you feel like you don’t want to be there, start looking elsewhere. Just don’t quit until you have something lined up.

• SituationCake@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I feel so sorry for the girls that are victims of the ai generated images at the bacchus marsh school. How horrific. I suspect fake sexual images are gonna be the new normal of harassment and abuse in the ai era. Schools and the law need to catch up fast.

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

I dunno how you police this shit. Back in my day (jesus I’m old) I had a… I dont wanna say “mate” but acquaintance sharing videos of him screwing an ex via Bluetooth off his old Nokia. I never saw it, never wanted to, both other horny 17 year olds did. This shits been around since the dawn of tech. Does make it right, and of course I feel horrible for the victims! And the bloke who did it should be shot into the sun… but I dont know how you stop this.

• 𝚝𝚛𝚔@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

I’d feel relief tbh. If anyone starts circulating real photos of you in the buff you can just claim it’s those zany AI prompters at it again and wave it off as bollocks.

• Taleya@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

Photoshopped exploitative images, cutting and pasting heads onto magazines before that, AI is just the latest in a long chain of turds

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

It’s a pretty fucked up situation, but unfortunately I think this is just the beginning. We (the collective we) never consider the implications of some of the uses of the technology we create.

This entire “AI” situation is concerning as a whole.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

The good thing is more and more of this shit is getting called out. Takes the shame from the victims to the little perverts who create it.

• Duenan@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

Another lean fortnight. Going to have to be creative with the food I have.

Thank gos for frozen mince though. Means I can have pasta for a week at least.

Also no zombie movies before going to bed tonight.

• imoldgreeeg@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

If you grab some dry red lentils you can add them into the mince (they take 15-20mins to cook so you can pre cook or mix with a stock cube water and mince into savoury mince style business). Will help the mince go further while keeping the protein up.

• Duenan@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

I’ll have a look.

I’ve never eaten lentils before so no idea in its texture or taste or if I’ll even like it.

• imoldgreeeg@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 days ago

Then red lentils are the go - no pre-soaking and they boil up to nothing, just add thickness. Great in soup or any kind of stew. This is the cottage pie filling I made on the weekend:

• onion & garlic fried in oil
          • fry 500g mince (added some cornflour so it thickens but optional)
          • added some tomato paste (or tin of toms, or some passata - whatever is cheap and tomatoey)
          • added 1/2 cup(ish) red lentils
          • added some stock power (or gravox)
          • added a cup of water

Boiled it up until thick - if you have frozen veg chuck it in at the end. Omit the cornflour and/or up the tomatoes for more of a bolognaise.

That and some mash taters on top - I got about 4-5 good meals

• wscholermann@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

Absolutely hate the dark and the cold just sucks the energy right out of you. Can’t help but wonder how folks in the far north in the artic deal with it where some days the sun barely rises.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 days ago

It’s party time today. 🎉 I’ll bring chocolate crackles. What are you bringing?

Can someone please bring jelly slice.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

Uh oh. I have a feeling the Bad Sads are coming up, the kind where everything looks miserable and the smallest thing not going the way I want makes me feel hopeless and sad and like a failure. It’s 12 days before my period should be starting so I don’t think it’s that… It’s this damn weather, I swear. I bought yet more fennel yesterday. I’m going to roast a whole bulb and scarf it down ;_;

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Sending some good vibes your way. For full effect, find a nice gum leaf that speaks to your soul and contemplate it for a while. Like of a focus for sorta kinda meditation, but without all the baggage.

• StudSpud The Starchy@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

The day I don’t spill a bit of my coffee on the floor is the day I have died.

I am the Supreme Ruler and Queen of Unco and Mysterious Bruises.

• Nath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

The fact that you have appointments for haircuts tells me you patronise a higher class of barber than I. I just walk in.

• Baku@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

Last time I tried to do that, they had a sign that said “back in 5 minutes”, so I shrugged and said whatever and came back after doing some shopping. Then there was a different “back in 5 minutes” sign up in a different spot. I waited 10 minutes. They did not come back.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I’m phenomenally sleepy today. Normally I’m not on my phone at work but I simply cannot summon any enthusiasm or concentration whatsoever. Holiday mode hit me too hard.

• LowExperience2368@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I’m trying to find things to enjoy and am getting so excited about trying new things in life, like new foods, going to a different uni next year, travelling, working full-time more or less permanently. But at the same time, nothing excites me? It’s strange.

I have a trial drums lesson organised, doing a fitness challenge, planning a social thing once a week, and going to start therapy in a couple of days. All this effort to work on myself just feels a bit futile. I know these things are going to be good for me, yet part of me is not convinced.

Maybe I just have to get through things and then they will become enjoyable. What a weird state to be in.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

The beauty of trying new things, is that you’ll never know where they may lead you. For example, in a few months you could be playing in your first band!

Good on you for keeping your life moving forwards.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

so many hugs, this is normal, you’re ahead of yourself, planning and getting ready for when you will be able to enjoy life more