• kaffiene@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

One of the painful things about having studied philosophy is experiencing the fact that nearly everyone on the Internet are absolutely sure having read a few paragraphs about the topic makes them an expert.

• Feathercrown@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I hope that one day people can call themselves philosophers without feeling cringey, because the world finally understands and respects it.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

For what it’s worth, as a non-philosopher, I absolutely agree that it’s a field that needs and deserves to be taken far more seriously by far more people.

• hoss@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

When I grow up, I want to work at the philosophy factory, making philosophies

• Sop@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I think everyone with a niche skill experiences that to some extent. Almost all posts about mathematics on lemmy attract people acting like they understand what’s going on while making wrong claims lol, I only rarely see comments that are fully correct.

• kaffiene@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah I expect climate change scientists would roll their eyes pretty hard at my post as well =)

• Sop@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I guess me being a mathematician makes me notice them more. I’ve seen many in several communities, but me being biased makes me wish there were more.

• someacnt_@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

I just began math PhD program, maybe it becomes different after finishing it. Maybe we are in different communities? Mine is mostly this one, linux and programming.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah, I’m an engineer myself, and even I can see that the take on philosophy here is really unnecessarily disparaging, and doesn’t even really fit well into the joke due to a rather meaningful lack of pertinence.

• luciferofastora@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

My high-school class on philosophy concerned itself with formal logic (syllogisms, really) and a little ontology, though I have forgotten most of the ontological stuff again. I don’t know just how much there is to know, so I don’t know just how ignorant I am. But where other Internet philosophers pretend to know what they’re talking about, I at least know that I don’t.

• superkret@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Astronomy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat by analyzing the raw image data of several insanely sensitive cameras, then finding out what the cat looks like, what it looked like right after birth, where it’ll be next year and what its gut microbiome consists of, based on a slight reddish hue in its fur.

Alternatively: Astronomy is like being in a dark room and saying “Something seems off. There must be a black cat in here.”

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Lol, all of those are philosophies. Philosophy isn’t separate to science, or theology, of whatever. It’s the bigger group they’re all part of.

• F04118F@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The meme’s accurate in that sense. All the others are also in a dark room looking for a black cat.

• threelonmusketeers@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

![](https://xkcd.com/435/)

You can embed the image, but I think you need to use the image link, rather than the comic page link:

![](https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/purity.png)

• Tlaloc_Temporal@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Hmm. On one hand, the image link properly embeds while the comic link is just a little OBJ square that I can open. On the other hand, the comic link preserves the alt text.

• Septimaeus@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

While true, be advised that some consider it rude to hotlink images without permission

Edit: as pointed out below, Randall gives permission to hotlink/embed on each comic page.

• WolfLink@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The most useful branches of philosophy are important enough we’ve given them other names like “math” and “science”.

• Live Your Lives@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

This meme is making these different disciplines answer questions they were never intended to answer. It’s like complaining that a school principal isn’t out there teaching students: that’s not their role and it would be silly to expect them to do otherwise.

Philosophers would ask something like, “what is a cat?”

Metaphysicians would ask something like, “how can we know that the cat truly exists?”

Theologians would ask something like, “what does the Bible say about cats?”

• nadir@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The categories themselves also show his ignorance.

Metaphysics is a sub-discipline of Philosophy.

• MelodiousFunk@slrpnk.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

And theology and science stood on philosophy’s shoulders as a means to different ends. It’s almost like the author started at the beginning and selectively broke off little bits to build up a joke, in service of the joke.

The joke didn’t land. That’s cool. It’s not my joke, I’m not offended. But I am mystified by the number of “well akshully…” replies. Had this been intended to be a serious, thorough commentary on various disciplines maybe I could understand the circlejerk around pedantry. But it’s not. It’s a gag based on oversimplification. In a meme community.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• blue@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Comedy can be and is used to make real criticisms of the world and various institutions. “It’s just a joke” is one of the most common lies.

People can laugh at the joke, or disagree with the criticism it communicates, or both, or neither.

But having and exercising critical thinking skills when engaging with memes in a meme community full of scholars and academics is exactly what I would expect.

• MelodiousFunk@slrpnk.netOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t see this as being dismissive of philosophy at all. Science has always stood on the shoulders of philosophy. In the context of the meme, it established the possibility of the black cat existing. It’s the baseline. Science then used tools to test the idea, while metaphysics and theology are off somewhere making unfalsifiable claims.

Judging by some of the responses, I’m in the minority with this interpretation.

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

If it puts us in a minority to regard scientific achievement as owing a debt of gratitude to epistemology and empiricism, not to mention ethics and countless other branches of study that cannot be taken for granted, then so be it. To take science on its own as merely a self evident and wholly objective practice solely fit for solving problems and creating better technologies is as boring as it is anti intellectual.

• Sop@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

This meme is highly misinformed about how any of these academic subjects work though. (Meta)physicists and theologists don’t make claims, they research the consequences of certain assumptions. Most elementary sciences work that way.

• Soleos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

It’s not about whether or not the meme is dismissive of philosophy. It’s that the writer clearly doesn’t understand the basics of these fields and the kinds of questions they ask/answer, including science. Heck metaphysics isn’t even a separate field, it’s a sub-field of philosophy.

• Mango@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It’s completely insane how they think science somehow invalidates philosophy. First off, it doesn’t even ask the same questions, and only really applies to the physical aspect of the world.

• leftzero@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

who made the flashlight for the scientist? The philosopher.

You misspelt engineer.

• Binette@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Metaphysics isn’t looking for a black cat that isn’t there. It’s assuming that there is a black cat even though there might not be one, because flashlights don’t exist yet.

• Mango@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Metaphysics is about how things that don’t exist affect what does exist. Things that don’t exist include law, money, superstition, and belief. Santa clause isn’t real, but everyone acting like he’s real makes for a very real effect.

Metaphysics is telling everyone there’s a black cat so they step more carefully.

• Binette@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

No but like stuff like Santa and money ins’t part of metaphysics. It’s like an attempt to answer stuff because we don’t have the tools to know certain stuff. God would be metaphysics, but not Santa because we know we made Santa up, but the existence of some supreme being (while not exactly how we portray him) is unable to be unproven or proven

• Binette@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I meant as in trying to figure out how the universe came to be etc. Not the study of religions.

Like yeah could of been “god” but it also could’ve been nothing at all, or something else

• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Science is more like systematically searching the room while exhaustively documenting all findings to define every place the cat wasn’t, as well as where it was. Then you release the cat and do it several more times. Then you invite your peers to come in the room and try to achieve the same results, comparing their findings with yours, so everyone can have a better chance of finding the cat in future attempts.

Science isn’t easy. It is precise because it is tediously thorough.

• powerofm@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

But observing the cat with the flashlight fundamentally affects the cat.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The cat both has and hasn’t knocked something breakable off a counter or table before you enter the room.

• Poplar?@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Could it be me who doesnt know what metaphysics is? No, a whole sub-field of philosophy is actually useless and none of them see it.

Also hilarious seeing “philosophy” referred to like its a method you can use and not a whole field including everything from ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of religion, epistemology, aesthetics, etc.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Also hilarious seeing “philosophy” referred to like its a method you can use and not a whole field including everything from ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of religion, epistemology, aesthetics, etc.

well i mean, philosophically, it could be considered a framework to think about things under.

• Carrolade@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

tbf, being in a dark room with no flashlight will give you lots of undistracted free time to work through complex problems and ideas. The presence of a cat in there with you is largely irrelevant.

• Geobloke@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I work in an underground mine and sometimes when I’m waiting for someone to come pick me up, I torn my cap lamp off and sit on a rock. It’s the darkest dark you can imagine. No shadows, no pin pricks of light just your thoughts. All you can hear is the sound of moving air and the occasionally the rock moving.

It’s genuinely peaceful and so so relaxing. Definitely had some philosophical moments down there

• dumbass@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

What’s the one that’s in a perfectly lit empty white room, with a decently sized black cat thats covered in arrows flashing towards it with a loud siren blaring from it and signs saying “the cat you are looking for is right here!”, who still can’t find the cat?

• qarbone@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

The signs are a fakeout for the lizardpeople scooping your thoughtsponge out via economic taxation.

Just gotta do your research and follow the obvious signs. No, but not those obvious signs.

• Cadenza@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Meh. Natural sciences and philosophy/methaphisics are quite closer/more intimately linked than you seem to think.

• zaphod@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

To quote my former physics teacher:

If you remove maths from physics you’re left with philosophy.

• Cadenza@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’m not qualified enough to approve or contest this statement, but I know for a /phisicistsfact that there was a time when great mathematicians were also great philosophers and they couldn’t conceive doing one without the other (Leibnitz or Descartes, among many others). Why I changed and exactly how, I don’t know, but I find it interesting.

• Taiatari@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think religion is represented wrong. It should read :

Being in a dark room looking for a black cat, believing that it is there.

I get where the OP is coming from and many religious people have been loud, vocal and hostile recently but it’s not a core principle of religion to be that way.

• qarbone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Not even religion, theology. There are grifters and scammers in every field but apparently theology is the one where the goal is just to unrepetantly lie.

A very clear bias on display.