On accident

I kind of can’t take people seriously when they say On accident, I don’t know or care if its more or less grammatical, it sounds like a child sputtering in my mind. It should be By accident or accidentally

Tummy

Any adult has zero business saying this lol

• Delphia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Socks and slides is only acceptable footwear for taking the bin to the kerb or checking the mailbox. If you’re wearing them in public I immediately assume you are a classless dumbass and your opinion on anything is irrelevant.

• Zak@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

A power supply, the thing that gets plugged into AC mains power and outputs some sort of DC (usually USB now) to power electronics is not a “charger”. It (usually) doesn’t know anything about charging batteries, and connecting its output directly to a Li-ion battery would lead to an explosion. The charger is integrated into the device receiving that power.

“Portable battery” is a terrible term to describe a USB powerbank. Thousands of battery types are portable, but don’t have USB ports or output exactly the right voltage. Some powerbanks are sold without batteries.

• kibiz0r@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

My kid calls USB cables “chargers”. My sister witnessed this for the first time, turned to me (known techie and pedant) and was like “You’re okay with this?”

• Lvxferre@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

More like pet peeves, and not something I’d lose my sleep over, but they’re hilariously pedantic. I’ll focus on Latin because I’d rather not pick on existing linguistic communities.

⟨V⟩ and ⟨U⟩ are not different letters in Latin. Deal with it. The “right” way to use them is like this:

• Upper case - ⟨V⟩, always
    • Lower case - ⟨u⟩ or ⟨v⟩, pick one, but don’t mix them

People fāiling to follow the əbove ɑre æs ənnoying æs someone insistently respelling English ⟨A⟩ with rændom junk bāsed on the sound. Like I æm doing now.

Same deal with ⟨I⟩ vs. ⟨J⟩. J’m not gojng to stop you from dojng so, but you can almost hear my “tsk, tsk, tsk” from a djstance.

There’s one way to pronounce Latin ⟨C⟩. It’s /k/ (as in “skill”). If you use /tʃ/ (as in “chimp”), /ʃ/ (as in “shampoo”), /ts/ (as in “cats”), /s/ (as in “silly”), you’re doing it wrong. Unless you’re handling Late Latin, but then follow some consistent set of rules dammit, not just “I use Latin like the Church does”.

“Veni, uidi, uici” is supposed to be pronounced ['we:ni: 'wi:di: wi:ki:]; or roughly “WAY-nee WEE-dee WEE-kee”. Once you pronounce it with random stuff like “vany VD vaitchy”, you’re wrecking all its alliterative appeal.

Speaking on that, Brutus is an unsung hero for going all stab-stabby against the guy who said the above. A shame that nobody did it against his adoptive child.

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

The way most people in my region pronounce the words “jewelry” and “realtor” really annoys me. I’m in the tiny minority who pronounces them the way I do, so I never say anything. But the locals almost all add a “LUH” to the middle. It’s an extra syllable that just isn’t in the spelling.

They say jew-LUH-ree and ree-LUH-ter. I pronounce these jewel-ree and reel-ter. I’m absolutely delighted when I hear someone say them the “correct” way, like I do.

Similar thing for how most around here say the year. When people say “two thousand and twenty-four” it grinds my gears. Just say “twenty twenty-four”, FFS.

• toomanypancakes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think it’s mostly that particularly poor common grammar drives me nuts. Like, there’s no excuse to not know the difference between you’re and your. Once could be a mistake or a typo, but if it’s a pattern of behavior you’re just not trying. Get your shit together. :)

• meleethecat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I definitely judge people on grammar and spelling. If you can’t be bothered to learn your native language, then I can’t be bothered to decode your shitty writing.

• pathief@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

On Lemmy it’s hard to know if it’s their native language or not, be forgiving!

• tiredofsametab@kbin.run
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Mistakes like “you’re” vs “your” are generally not made by people learning English as a second language unless they’ve only learned by speaking (in which case, I’d expect all their spelling to be a mess given that English is a mess). Same with “could of” instead of “could’ve”.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Unless you have a health condition that causes it, morbid obesity is gross. I don’t mean being fat. I’m talking the mom in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. Also, you shouldn’t need a rascal scooter to shop in Wal-Mart unless you have such a health condition.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The worst part is understanding the medical definition of morbid obesity. Those of us you’re excusing as “just fat” also clear that bar

• SkyezOpen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Even health conditions. Yeah some people have issues where they struggle to lose weight, but that alone does not make you 500 pounds.

Semi-related, people who buy 8 2-liters of diet soda at a time at the grocery store. You just KNOW they don’t touch water.

• Adderbox76@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Ha! How much time have you got?

Shallow and pedantic is my speciality.

But for the sake of brevity I’ll simply say that hearing (or reading) less in cases where fewer would be more appropriate is like driving an ice pick into my brain.

Yes…both are technically correct, but I have to fight the urge to be that guy whenever I hear it.

• sexual_tomato@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

They’re not interchangeable. ‘Fewer’ is for countable nouns and ‘less’ is for aggregate nouns, just like ‘how many’ and ‘how much’.

E.g:

Aggregate:

“How much sand? Less sand.”

Countable:

“How many grains of sand? Fewer grains of sand.”

• boatswain@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Along with that, I’ll add in “number” vs “amount”:

• A shocking number of people get this wrong (countable)
        • The amount of confusion about it is distressing (aggregate)
      • Adderbox76@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Oh believe me, I know. I agree.

but the argument nowadays is that common usage dictates that both are now “acceptable”, similar to how apparently “literally” now effectively means “figuratively” because everyone uses it.

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

My stupid mental trick for keeping these straight: fewer potatoes means less mashed potatoes.

• tiredofsametab@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Less could historically be used in any case and still can today. The distinction was first suggested by a guy a couple hundred years ago.

• kibiz0r@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Proper usage of ‘s.

Guy joined my team a few years ago and uses ‘s for literally everything, and now most of the team does it too.

It bothers me every time, and I’ve typed corrections into the message box so many times but never hit send.

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

uses ‘s for literally everything

literally everything

literally

I’ve got news for you.

Okay, honestly, I do have a choice each day about which tickets I work in which order, and ‘literally’ isn’t the only reason a ticket will be the Very Last one I schedule. There’s also ‘emails’, ‘the ask’, ‘the spend’, and a list of other pathetic Used Car Salesman words.

And I don’t want to stand in the way of people’s success; especially when they don’t know their nouns from their verbs and are just trying to get through the day before their crayons run out. But people who can use words property will get a bonus of being first.

• BodePlotHole@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Excusing folks with dyscalculia, those of you who speak proudly and openly about how bad you are at math can die in a fire.

Functioning adults are expected to read. You should also be able to calculate reasonable numbers and percentages without needing the calculator on your phone to know what 20% is; Or what one half of 3/8 is.

• fitjazz@lemmyf.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

If someone is speaking proudly of how bad they are at math they most likely didn’t have dyscalculia. Most of us that do have it speak angrily or resignedly about how bad we are at math. What really gets me is when people proudly blame their “dyslexia” for why they are bad at math.

• Bahalex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Perhaps I was in school before the idea of different learning styles was a thing. I always asked why, or how, things works. I need to understand the why to understand the how…or the how for the why… if that makes sense.

No, the work sheet doesn’t help, nor the make up work sheet. “That’s just how it is” does not explain anything. I’m bad at math because, beyond basic arithmetic, it’s all gobbledygook to me. Now I get self conscious, freeze up and can’t add simple numbers if put on the spot. So I make self deprecating comments about myself because I have no self esteem. Not that I’m proud of my failure.

• minyakcurry@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I say openly that I’m bad at math because I cannot, even with intense effort, intuit concepts that are laid out as pure mathematical expressions. Why do graphs have eigenvectors? What does that even look like?!

• Coconut1233@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Graphs don’t have vectors, spaces do. A space is just an n-dimensional “graph”. Vectors written in columns next to each other are matrices. Matrices can describe transformation of space, and if the transformation is linear (straight lines stay straight) there will be some vectors that stay the same (unaffected by the transformation). These are called eigenvectors.

• minyakcurry@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Thanks for the response! Honestly wasn’t expecting any. I understand what you’re saying as a pure student would, but could you explain what you mean by “a space is a just an n-dimensional graph”?

Would the vertices map to some coordinate in space? Or am I completely misunderstanding.

• Coconut1233@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I misunderstood a little, I assumed a function graph, which could be R^n space. But for the graph-theory-graphs (sets of vertices and edges) it’s similar, you can model the graph using adjacency matrix (NxN matrix for a graph of N vertices, where the vertices ‘mapped’ to a row and column by index. Usually consisting of real numbers representing distance between the “row” and “column” node) and look at it from the linear algebra point of view. That allows to model some characteristics of the graph. But honestly I haven’t mixed these two fields of maths much, so I hope what I wrote is somewhat understandable.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

So, the way you have phrased this is blatantly ableist. It’s like you’re saying you hate people who are blind because they refuse to learn to read. You’re annoyed with people who CHOOSE not to learn, and attacking other people who have a disability. Don’t use the technical terms for actual disabilities when that’s not what you are talking about. Your friend isn’t “OCD” because they like when things match.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

People who think anyone uses literally to mean figuratively are annoying and too caught up in their crusade to realize their take is idiotic. No one uses it to mean figuratively. People use it to emphasize regardless of the figurative nature of language. It’s semantic drift that happens to most words that mean something similar to “in actuality” (e.g. really, actually). Even in other languages.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah. Dictionaries reflect popular usage. And I think literally has probably been in use in that sense nearly as long as it’s been used to mean something really did happen that way.

• pathief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I find if more confusing than annoying, at times. If the emphasizing is getting on the way of being clear, you should maybe use some other way to emphasize it.

“I’m literally broke” shouldn’t be a statement open to interpretation, in my person opinion. The internet and lack of familiarity with strangers just aggravates the problem.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m a stickler for grammar and speech as well. It’s classist, I know. But even as a little kid, I picked up on terminology that other kids used that in retrospect reflected poverty (mee-maw, pop-pop, commode (for toilet), yeller (instead of yellow)). At the time, I couldn’t explain why I disliked it, but I considered it deficient. I’ve come a long way in dismissing those views by myself, but I can’t not notice.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

“Commode” is one of those? Huh. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a person use that word (I’ve only seen it in writing)

• ellabee@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

my grandpa used commode, but i haven’t heard it from anyone younger. grandpa was a Depression era kid, and the family was poor to begin with.

he also said “shorts” instead of “underpants”, which caused my brother who only wore long pants some confusion and trouble.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

One more: Conservatives are mostly less likely to have a higher education, less likely to be financially successful, more likely to be racist, more likely to lack critical thinking skills, less emotionally developed. And then there are the highly educated and rich hate mongers who stir up the rest for their own gains.

• thomasloven@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Difference in temperature cannot be expressed in °C. It’s not 5 °C warmer today than yesterday. It’s 5 K warmer. You can say “five degrees warmer”, but not “five degrees Celsius warmer” or “five Celsius warmer”. “Five Celsius degrees warmer” is also correct, but who’d do that?

The reason is that the Celsius scale has a fixed offset. If your birthday is in a week, you wouldn’t say it’s “one seventh of January from today”.

• boyi@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The reason is that the Celsius scale has a fixed offset.

Can you explain more on this? I still don’t get it.

As of now, although I am not a man of authority on this subject, I still think temperature difference can be expressed by using celcius simply because the celcius has the same equivalent difference as Kelvin. The difference of the two value of the same unit will still be the same unit.

First, from here

Since the standardization of the kelvin in the International System of Units, it has subsequently been redefined in terms of the equivalent fixing points on the Kelvin scale, so that a temperature increment of one degree Celsius is the same as an increment of one kelvin, though numerically the scales differ by an exact offset of 273.15.

Secondly from here

The degree Celsius (symbol: °C) can refer to a specific point on the Celsius temperature scale or to a difference or range between two temperatures.

• myliltoehurts@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I was not aware of this before and this is probably one of the most pedantic things I’ve heard for a while - great answer.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You might not say one seventh (sic presumably quarter is meant) of January, but you’d still be correct in every sense (except, again, mathematically) if you did.

• zaphod@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

The same applies to Fahrenheit, differences between temperatures in Fahrenheit should be expressed using the Rankine scale.

• PsychedSy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I was just making fun, since I disagree anyway.

It’s awkward as shit, but 7 days January is the same as 7 days July.