American gen Z voters share how they feel about Kamala Harris’s presidential bid, why they like or dislike her as a candidate and whether they think she could beat Donald Trump, as the vice-president races towards winning the Democratic nomination for November’s election.

‘I think she’s just what we need’

“I think [Kamala Harris] is the only one that makes sense. She will get the votes Biden couldn’t. She could get the Black, Asian, Latino, women’s, LGBTQ+ and youth votes. She stands more for progress and equality than an old white dude and if she wins it will be historic. The Democrats need a bold move and I think she’s just what we need.

“I hope the Democrats realize what an opportunity this is for them.” Will, 22, construction worker from Portland, Oregon

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Good to hear, but if you weren’t voting to oppose obvious fascism before, you’re not a very good/informed citizen.

• djsoren19@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Most Americans aren’t good citizens, so if you actually want to beat fascism, being able to win over disconnected voters is a huge deal.

• Guy_Fieris_Hair@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Yes, most people are not informed. But they sit back and watch an old, crooked, politician call another dude an old, crooked, politician. It was a joke. And while us nerds sitting here in a political sub can say that’s dumb, even though we know Biden wasn’t ideal hes better than the other option, the truth is most people were just sitting back and laughing at how ridiculous the situation was.

I hope everyone gets that. I have voted every election for the last 20 years but I was struggling to get myself to vote for a guy that couldn’t even talk. I was pretty pissed off at the DNC for trying so hard to hide his medical problems and just say “Well, at least he’s not Trump! If you don’t vote you’re a fascist!” ". Taking action to correct it gets rid of that bitter taste in my mouth and I am sure it does for a LOT of people that were NEVER going to vote. While Kamala doesn’t inspire huge waves of grassroots support, at least she isn’t embarrassing and she returns legitimacy to the office.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Recent events indicate that “better candidates” is the answer to your question.

Like progressives have been saying for years.

• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

People want to vote FOR something, not against something. We want hope for a better future.

Just look at how popular Bernie Sanders and his policy proposals are. People were excited to vote for him, because he was proposing to actually help the average American.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

It’s a question of priorities… is it more important to be right or to defeat fascism - if the later is your priority then shaming people for still being wrong makes the fascism more likely.

• suction@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I mean most people shouldn’t be allowed to vote, like MAGA and people who planned to not vote against a fascist.

• Bye@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah really like who are these people who weren’t going to vote for Joe? Are they stupid?

• solsangraal@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

uninformed/misguided apathetic “i don’t care about politics” kids who saw nothing but ancient white men and can’t/won’t distinguish between them

• lennybird@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

It’s another reason Harris would be crazy to go with anyone but Mark Kelly. You’ll get people who never dreamed of voting to just vote for the novelty of an astronaut and fighter pilot.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

I love Beau of the Fifth Column, but I have to politely disagree with him here. I’m originally from rural Appalachia and I don’t think you try to combat Vance by one-upping him with someone from that region. To me he makes less of a case for Beshear in this video and just more explains why JD Vance is a terrible pick, which I agree. Recognizing that much of the Presidential election ultimately comes down to a popularity contest, I think you go with the more flashy figure. For instance, I’m a pretty big political junkie and even I don’t know much about Beshear. That’s not to say he won’t skyrocket in name-recognition if the announcement comes that he’s her pick, but it’s just an easier sell to the average voter: “Wow, Mark Kelly is an astronaut and navy fighter pilot veteran!” The mere novelty of that will draw people to vote for him. I think this is powerful enough to draw those same voters away from Vance in itself.

Having someone popular running as VP from a key battleground state is a plus, too. We have to realize that much of rust/bible-belt isn’t particularly in play anyway. We have Whitmer who will help carry Michigan; and we have Shapiro who will help carry Pennsylvania. Seems like Tony Evers is doing well in Wisconsin. These are the three key battleground states while the likes of AZ and NV and so forth are more secondary battleground states.

• suction@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

Wow. Americans really say shit like this without a trace of irony 🤷‍♂️

• TimeSquirrel@kbin.melroy.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

It’s because of those people that you now have another, better, more winnable option. You’re welcome.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

On the other hand, if more people had turned out in 2016 we wouldn’t be here.

Politics shouldn’t be a popularity contest.

• alvvayson@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

You could also say, if the Democrats had nominated a more likeable candidate in 2016, we wouldn’t be here.

Clinton got less votes than Obama in 2012 and 2008, even though the population had grown during that time.

And it wasn’t the Bernie bros who stayed home. Polling revealed that the Bernie bros showed up.

Blaming the voters is like having your bakery go bankrupt and trying to blame people for not buying your shitty cake.

First, bake a better cake.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

“Where are all those advertisers I told to fuck off last year?”

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

What part of “I like soldiers who didn’t get captured” and “grab them by the pussy” confused voters?

Count Dracula should have beaten Trump.

I totally blame the voters.

• alvvayson@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

I know, but we were having a conversation about 2016 and the voters didn’t pick Clinton then.

At least, not enough of them in certain swing states.

• zephorah@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

It also shouldn’t be a duopoly game but here we are.

The shorter election cycle is appreciated. This should be a thing. Say, on July 5th of an election year, then it begins.

• WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Keep the primary results a secret until a couple of weeks before the convention. It’d also help the states with late primaries to not feel irrelevant.

• Wrench@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

We’re celebrating the apparent increase in voters that aren’t even following the duopoly policies enough to recognize literal fascism vs imperfect but generally good faith politicians.

If they’re not informed enough to see the face eating leopard party for what it is, adding more parties to the mix won’t improve anything.

I agree that ranked choice voting is desirable. But it won’t help with these kinds of voters.

• zephorah@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

I don’t get that. I still have relatives trying to tell me trickle down economics works, that it is the way. Really? You think successful trickle down economics is why we all feel squeezed right now? You think that’s why Amazon workers go through hell while Bezos flies around in a penis rocket?

Reality isn’t tracking as reality. I’m not sure how one gets to that point where a confident person in a suit announces that x is the truth and so you just start repeating x is the truth and actually believing it.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

If you want politicians to listen to you, try voting in the primaries.

People need to educate themselves. Look at how Jerry Falwell and his ‘Moral Majority’ took over the GOP. They had one simple trck; if the local Republican clubhouse got 20 people at the regular meeting Falwell’s folks would show up with fifty. They got the little jobs, like county clerk and sheriff, and then the bigger state positions and finally were in a position to control who got the white House.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

If you want politicians to listen to you, try voting in the primaries.

Please don’t gloat that the primaries have had a preordained winner for every presidential race since 2012. Particularly not when the most recent preordained winner had to step down, to the acclaim of the vast bulk of the party.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

and BotH Sides aRe ThE SAme, right?

If you’re going to tell people not to vote, try coming up with an actual alternative action.

• TokenBoomer@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

In a democracy. Politics is absolutely a popularity contest. The population votes. If you want better outcomes, do more for the population. When you don’t give the population what they want, you get totalitarianism which is the course we are on.

• TimeSquirrel@kbin.melroy.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

He had a chance. He’s shaking in his shoes now because he knows she will wipe the goddamn floor with his shitty toupee/combover or whatever the hell that thing is. He thought he was going to have it easy against the old man. Now him and his whole party are fucked, scrambling to throw anything against the wall to see if it sticks, because they have nothing. Not even ancillary shit like Hunter’s laptop.

Come sit down and watch, here’s some popcorn 🍿.

• Zipitydew@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

Polls don’t show that at all. Harris isn’t ahead in swing states either. Don’t start taking a victory.

• SolidGrue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Eh, don’t be so harsh. We posters here are like sports fans following the team in the off season, watching every news drop to analyze and discuss with other fans.

Outside of here, Most of America just isn’t that clued in to politics for a number of reasons. With the decline in consumption of print & broadcast news (and their inherent slant these days, let’s be honest) you have to put in effort to find the story and follow what’s going on. And that’s for when the Algorithm hasn’t otherwise distracted you with the latest celebrity scandal. For the younger demographic who have to work so damned hard to make a decent living or even just make ends meet, it’s probably just demoralizing to watch two old men yelling at the clouds, and feel like their own concerns aren’t even being discussed. And then you have to go looking watch a couple different takes on the same story (so many stories!) to see past the spin and get even a sense of what the fuck is ACTUALLY happening. People are busy, man.

I can’t really blame them for just now getting interested, because at least now it is interesting. I hate the situation for what it is, myself, but here we are.

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I can be a bit of a pot stirrer now and then, but I feel compassion makes me happier. Few people wake with the intent to make bad decisions.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This is why I keep repeating “vote for the administration, not the candidate”. Just look at the damage the Trump administration circus did futing the shit show that was his term. Now look at the good that the Biden administration has done in its term. Harris would likely keep a large portion of the team.

The only real deep blemish on the Biden administration has been its support of the Palestinian genocide. If Trump was president, he would has encouraged Netanyahu to be far more brutal. You can also kiss Ukraine, human rights, and democracy goodbye under a Trump second term. But sure…don’t vote.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Vote for the administration AND JUDGES!

we’ve had a front row seat to what happens when idiots don’t vote (for Hillary because butterymales or whatever) because they’re too focused on the personality of the candidate… Who picks the judges matters!

• ceenote@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Alito and Thomas have both signalled that they’ll retire if Trump wins. I find forcing them to either remain in a job they both clearly dislike or get replaced with a judge who’ll reverse the harm they’ve done to be pretty motivational.

• jaemo@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

As long as it’s at the end of a long, painful, emasculating blight that visibly withers them every day for all to see. They deserve to be turned into the ghouls they are on the inside, right in front of the public.

Like morphing into Palpatine from shooting all that sith judicial ruling lightning.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

For sure. I throw judge selection under administration. The President doesn’t know any of these judges, they are presented to the President by the team the President put together.

• slickgoat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

This is how it is done in Australia by our High Court. A judiciary panel shortlists the candidates and the Government usually takes the first on the list - conservative or liberal government, doesn’t matter. The selection isn’t politicised - the most qualified gets the job.

Our high court has a reputation for annoying governments from either side.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I wish… Our system is the heritage foundation chooses whatever judges align with what they want to accomplish, spend 2 decades calling liberal appointed judges “activist judges that want to legislate from the bench” and then hand the Republican president a list of activist judges who will legislate from the bench because everything Republicans say their opposition does is projecting what they actually intend to do…

I hate that it works… They do it first so when you push back on what they are doing it looks like the childish “no you!” argument so it immediately defuses any resistance…

• leadore@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yep. Trump pulled his judge picks right off the wish list of extremist judges the Heritage Foundation hand-picked for him. It’s sickening how many judges he got to appoint, on top of getting to choose 3! 😭 SCOTUS justices (one of the seats was stolen by McConnell).

Of course one of those judges was Aileen Cannon who after delaying the classified docs case against him as long as possible, finally went ahead and tossed it out completely on the ridiculous grounds that there shouldn’t have been a special prosecutor for it.

• Tiefling IRL@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

As a professional circus performer, please don’t bring us down to their level. Most of us are bleeding heart communist hippies, and circuses take a TON of coordination to run.

• Infynis@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The only real deep blemish on the Biden administration has been its support of the Palestinian genocide.

Definitely the biggest, but not the only. Two others that stand out to me are his breaking of the rail strike, and his border policies.

But of course, this all comes with the caveat that all of this, under Trump, would be unimaginably worse

• Wrench@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Biden got the union workers their largest demands after ending the strike. People are stuck on the headlines immediately after ending the strike and apparently missed this fast follow a few weeks later IIRC

• BradleyUffner@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

It doesn’t matter what happened after. The optics of breaking the strike set unions back decades. That damage can’t be undone just by doing then a few favors later.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

It doesn’t matter what happened after.

It absolutely does. The administration fought to get the workers what they wanted. That’s more effective than a strike.

Unions have not been set back decades either. In fact, they’re more powerful than they’ve ever been. UAW brought auto manufacturers to their knees. SAG joined forces with writers to get their due from Hollywood and secure worker protections against AI.

This is what a pro union administration emboldens. Let’s not pretend that the rail strike was a simple black and white issue. It could’ve caused delays that would make water undrinkable in cities, prevent electricity or heating in winter, and delay crucial medication shipments.

• AbsentBird@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Congress broke the strike with a veto-proof majority, Biden didn’t have much choice in the matter.

At least Biden was able to negotiate and apply pressure to get most of the demands met for the rail workers after the strike was prevented. The unions were largely grateful for the administration’s efforts on the issue.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

my emotions in this chain have been so far:

• outrage
            • pleasant surprise
            • outrage again
            • confusion

I think I’ll settle on the idea that whatever Biden did, it was at least better than what Trump would’ve. Then again it’s this exact same blind logic that Trump supporters say about Biden.

• Hawanja@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

If Trump were pres we’d probably have troops there helping with the genocide.
      We definitely would be helping out Russia against Ukraine.

• ours@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The sad truth is no US president can go against the Israeli lobby unless some major changes are made.

But I agree with you, Trump would have happily and loudly complied with Bibi’s Government.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

These people are voting. Biden is no longer the candidate. You no longer have to lecture people into voting for him.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

These people *are* voting.

These people are saying they are going to vote. Everyone needs reminding of the consequences of a second Trump term. Also, the “Kamala is a cop” narrative is also in full swing.

• Jackie's Fridge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m sure that will get balanced out by all the “back the blue” conservatives lining up to support her, right?

…right?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Lecturing people who are already excited to do what you want is a great way to piss them off. But given a choice between being self-righteous scolds and winning, Democrats will choose sanctimony every last time.

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Unlike you, who is not giving any self righteous lectures about the DNC at all, right?

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

I’m glad the DNC listened. The prevailing attitude from centrists on this thread is “Oh my GOD, is nothing good enough for you?!” when it’s obvious that for the people in the article, Kamala is.

• the post of tom joad@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

If Trump was president, he would has encouraged Netanyahu to be far more brutal.

I can’t imagine there is a higher level of cruelty than what is currently occurring right now. They’re being denied food and water and being shot for fun.

Rest of your point aside,as far as Gaza is concerned it’s already at “worst”.

Sure we can imagine hypotheticals but bibi is doing whatever he wants already.

• Zetta@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Ahhh while Biden has generally supported Ukraine he has handicapped them and extended the war by the constant wishy-washy support.

“You can have these weapons but not these better ones that you actually need” 6 months later they get the weapons they actually need anyway

“Okay you can have the good weapons but you can’t use them inside Russia” a year later they can use the good weapons in some areas of Russia

Constant weak minded actions like this from Biden are a big problem.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Look what happens when the party listens. Maybe they’ll keep listening if they see this works.

Maybe Biden stepping down heralds the tipping point away from arrogant, ineffective, conservative gerontocracy within the Democratic party and toward a more progressive future.

• Tiresia@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Trump shows that FPTP doesn’t have to result in a closest-to-center career politician. The DNC likes to pretend that it does in order to prop up their most centrist candidates, but as long as there is a large group of radicals and non-voters, a candidate who appeals to those voters can defeat a candidate who appeals to the center.

There were people who switched from Bernie to Trump. There were people who didn’t want to vote Biden because he supported Palestinian genocide too much. Those people are idiots, but they still vote. Lower class workers tend to vote left-wing if they trust that fair competent government is possible and right-wing if they don’t, with most of them in the US voting right-wing, especially in rural areas.

• Rhaedas@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The other danger to avoid (again) is the assumption that because polls and news looks good for a candidate, a single vote won’t matter, which results in a lapse of not voting. Repeat a few million times. Lead suddenly gone.

Vote, even if everyone is claiming it’s a solid win. Vote as if your vote does matter, don’t even debate if that’s true or not.

• Wes4Humanity@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

And vote blue to the bottom of the ticket! Let’s take the whole government and then push them hard to fix this broken system!

• Rhaedas@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Local is always as important, if not more, than the Presidential race. Midterms as well. In a world so highly interconnected and real time, we should be so much more democratically inspired, and yet apathy reigns.

• Olgratin_Magmatoe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

and yet apathy reigns.

Part of that has been a directed effort. Oil lobbyists, russian and chinese bots, other corporations, etc all have a vested interests in spreading disinformation and doomerism to encourage apathy.

• Wes4Humanity@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

They also keep everyone poor and stressed so we don’t have time or energy to think about anything else… Let alone something as nuanced and important as politics/democracy

• Carrolade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Well said. Even if you are in a solid-whatever state, the degree to which that is true is important. A 5 point lead is different from a 10 point lead, is different from a 20 point lead. The closer you can make it, the more you force people to pay attention to you.

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

At the same time, if you know your candidate is going to win and you live in a shitty two-party system, then the only means you have to protest about the policies of the party you primarily support is to give them a no vote when they’re guaranteed to win.

Example, everyone knew the Labor party was going to win in the UK election, it was guaranteed after the 14 years of incompetence from the Tories. That being said, Labor really wasn’t promising much. The only party that were offering any real change were the Greens.

So what do you, knowing that Labor are going to win but not agreeing with their policies? You let them know by voting for other parties, and then Labor reassesses their policies on the votes they lost.

• PRUSSIA_x86@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

And then a bunch of people do that because “my guy is going to win anyway so it doesn’t matter” and you end up losing. Remember Brexit? never be too confident.

• Carrolade@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

The only means? How about writing a letter? Attending a town hall? How about protest? We have far more influence than a single vote.

Also, I don’t think anyone in Labour is reassessing any policies on votes they lost to the Greens in this example, due to how few votes the Greens got. That said, I do believe people should vote for whatever they think will do the most good. If someone is a single-issue voter on environmental issues, voting Green is a sound way to support the policies they care about. Not to push dems, that is unlikely to happen, but to actually support the policies they care about.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

God, progressives suck. Conservatives vote. Every election. Doesn’t matter what the polls say. Doesn’t matter what the weather is. Doesn’t matter who is running. They fucking VOTE. That’s why a small minority is able to run roughshod over the interests of the majority: the majority doesn’t fucking vote!!

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

That’s because their party reflects their voters’ will. More than two-thirds of Democrats said that they didn’t want Joe Biden for a second term, but they forced him through the nomination process anyway, without any challenge or debate. Meanwhile, the Republican party elites didn’t want Trump on 2016 or 2024, but when their voters chose him, they accepted it. They didn’t make back room deals with the other candidates to make Jeb the nominee, like the Democrats did for Biden.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

And then Democrats convinced Biden to not run for a second term. Sounds like the party did in fact listen to the voters’ will, and that’s being reflected in the excitement that we’re seeing across the board.

And you know what? I wish Republicans made backroom deals. I wish they recognized Trump was a significant threat and aligned to go against him.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Yeah, but the Democrats also propped Biden up through the primary and kept any real challengers from entering the race, then only abandoned him once it became clear that he had no chance of winning. It shouldn’t take the President displaying signs of cognitive decline on national television to get the party to listen to its own voters.

And while I agree that it would be better if the Republicans hadn’t enabled Trump, I don’t think cutting back-room deals to give their preferred candidate the nomination would be better than just not supporting him. GOP politicians were happy to denounce Trump before the primary, and they could have held their ground afterwards. The options don’t have to be, “fall in line,” or, “rig the primaries.”

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I think a lot of Democrats were actually unaware of how bad Biden was, even within the party apparatus. It sounded like his close advisors were seriously sheltering him.

Just goes to show that you need advisors and friends who aren’t just going to blindly support and defend you, but will also call you out on your shit

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

And then Democrats convinced Biden to not run for a second term.

The polls, plus stingy donors, convinced Biden not to run.

Of course, Lemmy-ites will insist that polls don’t matter and you can just scream at people to vote if you’re at a fund raising disadvantage when you need to close the gap.

I wish Republicans made backroom deals. I wish they recognized Trump was a significant threat and aligned to go against him.

When Republicans make backroom deals, you get a 5-4 SCOTUS majority halting the recount process in Florida.

We’re somewhat lucky that Trump was on such shit terms with Doug Ducey and Brian Kemp in 2020.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

No. It isn’t. And no, it doesn’t.

They vote no matter what. They vote even if they hate the candidate. Even if they hate the platform. They vote out of a sense of moral obligation that progressives entirely lack.

Their party works against their interests. I know it, you know it, and anyone who looks at it critically for half a second knows it. And yet they still vote.

There was that interesting research ten years back about the pillars of conservative and progressive morality. I seem to recall conservatives having five nearly universal core values, while progressives had only three of those. Conservatives value tradition and loyalty on an equal level with eg fairness and truth. Liberals still value tradition and loyalty, but they are not core values, and so things like truth take a higher priority. Conservatives literally don’t care about the facts when they feel like their loyalty is tested.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Their party works against their interests. I know it, you know it, and anyone who looks at it critically for half a second knows it. And yet they still vote.

I didn’t say their party reflects their interests, I said it reflects their will. Sure, the Republican policies screw over the working class, but Republican voters want candidates that will blame their problems on welfare recipients and immigrants, and they get it. They want religious zealots who will merge religion and government, and they get it. They want regressive social policies, and they get them. Meanwhile, Democratic voters ask for universal healthcare and get Mitt Romney’s healthcare plan. They want the BBB plan, with universal pre-K and the expanded child tax credit, and they get an infrastructure deal.

Republicans tell their politicians what they want, and their politicians go out and get it, or at least try. Democrats tell their politicians what they want, and their politicians tell them why they can’t have it. That’s why turnout is different.

• jerkface@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

We have lots of research on this subject. I am not stating personal opinions. This is the reason that voter disenfranchisement favours conservative voters.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Voter disenfranchisement? As in, laws that restrict voting? Then which is it? Progressives don’t show up or progressives are disenfranchised?

• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

You guys are both right. Democrats ignore progressives to their detriment, and republicans line up dutifully to elect people who that truly represent who they are (i.e. hate-filled war mongers that want to punish women, minorities, LGBT, and democrats for being different).

• MonkRome@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I mean… Even when we do have a primary, most of the left just stays home. It doesn’t help that most people just can’t be bothered.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I don’t know that that’s true. It’s kinda hard to find data on progressive vs. centrist turnout, but generally, turnout for primaries has been going up, not down, and it was definitely young progressive voters that gave Obama the victory over Clinton.

• MonkRome@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Your own link shows 28.5% of eligible voters, most would imply more than half, so I don’t know what your argument is. It doesn’t matter if it’s highest it’s ever been if it’s still pathetic.

• pjwestin@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Yeah, but, “most of the left stays home,” also implies centrists or conservatives vote in higher numbers than the left, which doesn’t appear to be true. Voters are more invovled in primaries than they have been in years, and the left and right seem to be voting at about the same level. Like, yeah, voter apathy is really bad in this country, but it seems pretty bipartisan, so it’s not a left-specific problem.

• michaelmrose@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

It’s also fairly unfair to compare total numbers vs an assessment of the actually competitive states. Everyone knows that solidly blue and red states have little say your side is either already going to win or can’t possibly win at the national level. It’s inherently harder even if important to get people to invest in the smaller races.

• MonkRome@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

implies centrists or conservatives vote in higher numbers than the left, which doesn’t appear to be true.

I don’t think it would imply that and it wasn’t my intent. My complaint is with the left, I couldn’t give a shit how many of the other side votes in their primary. The level of self righteous moral purity is ungodly high on the left, and yet even though 75% of our party is constantly whining about the candidate of one political position in the party only ~30% are actually voting in the primary. It’s getting old. We can have any fucking candidate we want in most primaries, we just have to show the fuck up when it matters.

In Bernie’s first presidential campaign he did much better in caucuses, because he was good at political maneuvering, but the states with a strait up vote, he lost most of them. That says everything you need to know about the left wing of the party, all talk, low energy action.

• MeaanBeaan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I honestly think it’s more accurate to say Republican voters reflect their party’s will (or more accurately Trump’s will). Trump can say and do anything and Maga voters will fall in line behind him no matter what. Even if what he says or does goes against what Republicans have historically been in favor of. Like when he sunk Nafta for his own terrible plan. He runs a cult of personality and the republican party had to either nominate him or be abandoned by their enflamed base.

Dems should have absolutely nominated Bernie. But if Bernie started spouting hateful rhetoric like Trump does he wouldn’t have a base anymore.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Dems should have absolutely nominated Bernie.

Idk. I think Bernie would have made a better President, but I still question whether he’d have made a winning President. Americans are easily Red Baited, and I could see Republicans cowing a lot of moderate liberals with “He’ll turn American into Venezuela!” scare stories and some sudden sharp drops in everyone’s retirement funds on the eve of the election.

In 2020, Biden was absolutely the safe path to victory, even if he was a corporate shill and genocidal enabler through his time in office.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Conservatives vote. Every election.

Turnout has varied enormously over the last twenty years. Conservatives are riding the same waves as the rest of us. A lot of that is built into home ownership. We’re seeing a more migrant population that needs to constantly re-register and re-engage with the local political establishment after every change of address. Republicans are no longer the home-owning majority, now that the college demographic has shifted over to the liberal side of the spectrum. And Democrats are no longer the freshly migrant urbanites of the post Jim Crow era, fleeing the brutality of the Dixiecrat states.

Dems have eclipsed Republicans on voter registration, they consistently out-compete on turnout, and they’ve had a number of wave elections in off-years precisely because they’re more consistent at voting than their Republican peers.

That’s why a small minority is able to run roughshod over the interests of the majority

No. Gerrymandering, vote caging, and strategic disenfranchisement at the county and state level are why small minorities are able to run roughshod over the interests of the majority. States like Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, and Texas have absolutely batshit insane maps, with a handful of districts packed to the gills full of liberal voters while conservatives are spread thinly across the remainder. Wisconsin just broke the GOP gerrymander that’s kept the state legislature locked firmly red with barely 40% of the popular vote.

That’s been a clever stopgap against popular governance in the short term, but its also a dangerous game when a suburban cohort shifts or defects on razor thin margins.

When Dem wave years happen, you can see thousands of seats flip overnight. But without that supermajority of voters, you’ll see those same seats collapse red again. That was the story of 2008 -> 2010 and 2016 -> 2018 -> 2020. Suddenly influxes of Democrats would appear for a cycle only to get obliterated in time for Republicans to recement their gerrymanders.

Consequently, the Republican strategy has been to run out the clock on incoming Dem administrations, confident that they’ll be back in control as soon as the wave passes. Democrat strategy has been to… fuck around for the two years they have a significant majority and then bitch at voters when the moment passes.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Not the senate which gives 4 seats to represent 1M people who live in the Dakotas and 2 seats to represent the 40M people who live in CA? Not gerrymandering effecting seats in the house? Not the fact that the way EC votes are apportioned making it doable in practice to win the EC with 45% of the popular vote and possible to win it with as little as 35% of it?

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I get very frustrated when I see a few voters clinging to their “uncommitted” status even now. And the ones who do this often look like the kinds of people that the Trumpists will put into camps if he gets re-elected. Stop acting precious about it and commit to the obvious choice. The election is not about you, it’s about the future of the country and whether or not we want to embrace or reject fascism.

• fossilesque@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I have heard irl from a few of us who moved out of the us, that they are now going out of their way to register to vote. So, that is a lot of hope, anecdotally.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

In politics it’s the opposite of “devil you know”. It’s why Congress flips so much after a presidents first election.

People know Biden know, and the more people know Biden the less they like him.

I don’t think Harris will be great, but there is a chance she will be. That’s enough to get a lot more votes than Biden.

If she hits the ground running we could even gain seats in 2026 for once. But she can’t just “look into” shit to run down the clock. She needs a list of shit they can accomplish, and how many votes in Congress to accomplish each.

Be totally upfront about what we can do, and actually try to accomplish what we can do on day 1.

People will remember that come midterms.

• Carrolade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Campaign finance reform to stop unlimited money into politics and voting rights protections would be a huge win. If election day was a national holiday, that’s something people would feel.

• finley@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

The former sounds like an impossible get, but it would be a huge huge win. The latter sounds like something that she could actually accomplish.

• Carrolade@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

That’s funny, I see it the exact other way around. Since the Supreme Court declared monetary contributions are essentially a form of speech, campaign donations have been protected by the first amendment. This is difficult to overturn, since it’s a SC ruling based in the constitution itself. Any law trying to say otherwise could be declared unconstitutional and completely struck down by this even more extreme court.

Main workaround I see is mandating more thorough transparency to at least be able to track it all. There’s probably other strategies too though.

A federal holiday just takes a bill through congress. Won’t be an easy one, would be filibustered for sure. But possible.

• iAvicenna@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

All they have to get the gen Z votes is create an anime featuring Kamala doing cute chuckle stuff, expressing her love for venn diagrams and doing other geeky stuff. done.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

the big winning factor for kamalas voter base is literally just her age. She’s nearly 20 years younger than trump. 20 years

literally nothing else matters. Especially among gen z, it just helps that he has such a comprehensive background in government and around other politicians as well.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

the big winning factor for kamalas voter base is literally just her age.

Its her (relatively thin) track record. Biden’s been wading through the blood of a hundred Palestinians a day for the last six months. Kamala’s kept her hands relatively clean.

I suspect the Kids Today are going to sour on her as her profile rises. She’s got a long history of saying shit that turns off youth voters at the actual polls. But for the moment, people are exuberant about Genocide Joe being shown the door. That - plus JD Vance getting caught with his dick between a pair of couch cushions - is giving her campaign a healthy bump.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Its her (relatively thin) track record. Biden’s been wading through the blood of a hundred Palestinians a day for the last six months. Kamala’s kept her hands relatively clean.

i doubt this is a significant voter motivation across the youth. You think gen z voters are going to vote for someone who wasn’t biden just because of palestine? Only the disillusioned right wingers are voting for RFK jr, and even those people are fucking insane. They might not be happy voting for biden, but it’s not like you really have any other options, other than not voting, obviously, which is likely why we saw an increase amongst registered voters.

its definitely going to get worse as it goes forward, but that happens for almost every president. There is nothing that changes that.

I suppose kamala might shoot herself in the foot later on, but honestly, i’m not expecting her to do that, i imagine she knows how to read the room significantly.

people are excited about joe stepping down because of his disastrous debate performance, and his apparent decline over time. Also he’s 80 something years old. Nobody wants an 80 year old president.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Anyone who is holding Biden responsible for Israel is an idiot. Congress is the one who votes for or against aid. Not handing the aid that congress approved in an election year is bordering on political suicide with the moderates knowing that moderates in swing states will entirely decide this election. Harris’ big virtue on this issue is that she isn’t president and has virtually no power to do anything so she can talk more. Blame ought to accrue to Israelis, their leaders, their hard liners, congress, and the US population for still cleaving to Israel after all their behavior.

• daltotron@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Gen Z is about to have their Obama moment like how millenials did, I’m taking bets for it now. Everything has happened before, time is a flat circle, I’m willing to bet.

• werefreeatlast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s Kamala all the way!!! 😁😂😁 Let’s just vote now to lock it in! I can do without the 12 weeks of YouTube ads.

Also don’t pay YouTube for ads, they are now evil.

• suction@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Ok good but if you planned to not vote against trump in any case, you’re with the fascists.

• Furbag@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

For many late Gen Z’ers, this will be the first election they even get to vote. I remember being in high school and I couldn’t wait to vote when I was 18 because I followed politics very closely. My peers on the other hand, not so much. For every kid at my school who was politically active enough to care about issues that mattered to them, there were about 4-5 more that were completely and utterly apathetic or didn’t have a clue about the candidates or the issues.

The danger in assuming that people who are making the decision to vote now were somehow complicit with having Trump is that they may not have been aware of the problem to begin with. A lot of young eligible voters miss their first few elections because they haven’t developed a political opinion beyond whatever their parents might think, they haven’t taken the time to properly educate themselves on the issues, or there’s still a disconnect between how the election results might affect them in their daily lives.

A fresh new candidate that is pumping energy into the race is getting young people motivated to vote, and that’s a good thing. Let’s not look a gift horse in the mouth.