• TBi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 minutes ago

Everytime I have a discussion with someone who says “both sides are the same”, they always end up voting right. I ask if both sides are the same why not vote left?

• Allero@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    57 minutes ago

Let’s just start with the fact that American political system is super skewed to begin with and no actual left has any power.

Dems are highly pro-capitalist, moderately nationalist and merely call to strike a bit less horrible balance between the interests of people and businesses. This is not left, this is a bit better right.

This fallacy keeps people trapped in an idea that the only possible options are “good” ultra-capitalism and “greedy” ultra-capitalism, which is not true.

People that try to have “both sides heard” totally ignore that there are way more than two angles in this conversation and that Dems are not some sort of a political extreme. Reps, ironically, kinda are.

And Democrats often think they vote for something actually good, when it’s actually just a lesser evil. Keep that in mind, no matter what you decide.

• A Phlaming Phoenix@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

I’ve had a guy tell me he votes for Trump because he’s trying to take a balanced centrist view of things. But dude, if Trump is the center, wtf are your extremes?

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

It’s weird how often people say they “Aren’t for Right or the Left” and “Think BOTH parties are the problem”, but only ever have negative things to say about the Left.

Concern Trolls are not your friends

• Grainne@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

I’m undecided on Trump and the GOP in 2024, I can’t tell if they’re brutally evil or evilly brutal.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

The whole world is inundated with news about the election, looking on in horror at the fact that Trump, in spite of everything has a 50/50 shot at the presidency. The fact that he remains viable is one of the worst enditements possible on the US government and people.

Yeah - we see you guys, and we’ve decided.

• Fugtig Fisk@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

No its fine! But the whole world has left and right in their political spectrum, yet every comment in here is about USA (and one(?) about France)

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 hours ago

Well, yes…this instance and community are full of Americans, so that’s the viewpoint the comments will revolve around.

Please do offer your country’s difficulties with right wing politics instead of a sarcastic comment. The more we all know of nationalist, populist, and theocratic fascists trying to make inroads around the world the better.

• _____@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

It’s because they identify 100% with the party but don’t want the negative flack it rightfully deserves, so they pretend to be centrist.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

This has actually been studied

Anti-Authoritarians and Moderates view it as best to be seen as Anti-Authoritarians, Authoritarians view it best to be seen as Moderates.

They literally view opportunistic claiming of the center not just as a political tool but as a social survival tactic to not be ostracized for their bullshit.

• auzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

Exactly this. Many of them are concerned about how it might affect their work too and their families if they found out they’re were horrible racist people.

It’s part of the reason why the KKK wore clokes

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

It used to be libertarians that did this shit. Too afraid to commit to the bit, but still want to appear as if they’re the good guys.

• auzy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

yeah… Here in Australia, they were also the only political party around who never removed their shitty signage after the election (and they legally have to). I’m surprised the Election council didn’t do it for them and send them the bill. I think the problem with those wankers is that they constantly try to get away with dodgy actions, and they end up being successful so many times, that they just keep doing it

• Arkatakor@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Oh this is the classic : “I’m socially progressive, but fiscally conservative” LOL

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 hours ago

The thing is real fiscal conservatism relies on evidence. They just want to sell off the government so they can make a profit replacing it. A real fiscal conservative would have already passed universal education, universal healthcare, universal background checks, taken military procurement to task, and repealed half of the laws restricting unions.

The Republicans talk about laws that spend less and create more revenue, but they fight tooth and nail against ones that actually would do that.

• acosmichippo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

no no, republicans don’t want the govt to make revenue. tax cuts, ridiculously complicated tax code, gutting the IRS… all to let rich people keep as much money as possible.

• Arkatakor@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

Well the bar is six feet under when you compare Democrats to Republicans. Democrats appears leftwing simply because Republicans went further to the right on the spectrum unfortunately. If you place Democrats in Canada or Western Europe, they would be considered a right wing government, or centrist if we stretch it.

• Saleh@feddit.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

So much this. The only thing that remedied US Democrats in this sense was their LGBT stances being more progressed than in many Western European countries. Otherwise they are in the right/far right/neoliberal spectrum by European standards.

• explodicle@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

At this point anybody can just download all the financial freedom they want, nobody is stopping us. So our votes only even matter for social issues anymore.

• ceenote@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 hours ago

Actual centrists recognize how extreme the right has gotten, and vote accordingly. Bothsiders are the brainless, egotistical tools of the far right, going along with normalizing fascism because they don’t want to think too hard.

• Zement@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

… and because they want slaves back. The right is focused on having women-slaves and immigrant-slaves. Take away rights, invent crimes, jail, enslave.

• taiyang@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

After the VP debate, I was stuck under two babies and couldn’t get up before CBS did it’s spin room coverage and fake analytics. During their focus group of 6 undecideds, I nearly fucking lost it when one said “I like that Vance said he’s pro-family”.

This shit repeated on my stream I was watching several times and I inevitably woke up my 8mo having to get to the computer before every last drop of my sanity was gone.

• Snowclone@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

If your response to a call to ethnic clensing is ‘‘well… let’s meet them half way’’ you aren’t a moderate centrist.

• vga@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 hours ago

What a freaking circle jerk this comment section is. Could you be more self-righteous?