• griefreeze@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is what made me switch to Linux full-time. I’m not surprised this is still a thing 10+ years later

• polygon6121@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I wish it could be so, I need both for work. I have always required a laptop with two separate hdd slots, but Windows tends to mess up everything anyway, and then Linux get the blame for being unstable. I also have a fun thing where the RTC becomes out of sync because win and Linux handle time differently. This can mess up 2FA among other things, so that’s great😅

I think Windows will have to go on a VM instead because it is so unstable.

• crazycaveman@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

You can set Windows to use UTC for the hardware clock (or have Linux use local time shudder). Just need to set a registry key:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
          "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yup! Windows did an update and hosed your boot record. I don’t even use the same partition for the Windows and Linux boot sectors and Windows still breaks it occasionally. My solution was to just not log into Windows anymore.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I will eventually need to log back into Windows next time I want to design something in Fusion 360, since there aren’t any stable solutions for Linux, but that’s literally the only thing I need Windows for.

• Dima@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I installed it through lutris and it seemed to work fine, but I didn’t test for long

• 7u5k3n@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I was dual booting because of rocket League.
        The well epic did an epic and so I stopped. My computer is set to boot to the kubuntu drive. I have to make it boot to windows if I need that drive.

I miss drinking and tanking my MMR with buddies… but windows. :/ lol

Good to know I’m saving myself a pain in the ass

• BeardedGingerWonder@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve almost filled a dual boot SSD and I’ve got an NVME drive sitting there waiting to be installed and I haven’t done it yet because I wanted to move just the Linux partitions onto the NVME and leave the windows on the SATA SSD and its just complicated enough and fraught with just enough danger that it’s not fun.

For the life of me I’ve no idea why, I literally can’t remember the last time I booted into windows, certainly not since the last shenanigans with fusion 360.

• milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I have in fact never had or seen this problem, and I’m quite bewildered by so many people having it. Do your normal windows updates do it? Or transition between major Windows versions? Or is it just a Win 11 problem?

I’ve pretty much always used a dual boot Win/Linux laptop, since around Vista, and I’m on 10 now (but only use it for a few games; all important things in Linux).

• Luccus@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m not sure how it is now, but when I was still dual booting I had the same problem until I got a separate drive for Linux instead of just using different partitions of the same drive.

• Flatfire@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Funny enough, I think the only time I’ve run into bootloader problems on a single drive, it ended up being Linux that broke my Windows boot. Typically Windows leaves my EFI partition well enough alone during updates.

• TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Same here. I even updated to windows 11 and it kept the GRUB bootloader. Partition for both is on the same SSD. Somehow got lucky, I guess.

• ChewTiger@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m rather inexperienced with Linux, so between Windows and I, my computer’s bootloader is always messed up. I really need to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

• icedterminal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Do your normal windows updates do it?

They can. As Windows does updates it typically checks to make sure everything is working. This includes making sure it will boot after an update.

Or transition between major Windows versions?

If it’s not a feature enablement update, then yes it can happen. In place upgrades actually reinstall Windows. This includes boot.

Or is it just a Win 11 problem?

Happens with 8, 10 and 11. Since these are UEFI compatible.

The problem starts with how you install. If you do Windows first and then Linux when sharing an EFI partition, Windows doesn’t like this. A feature of Windows is PCR7. Since Secure Boot is a requirement now for Windows 11, this is more of a problem than it was. PCR7 binding happens when the entire boot chain has been authenticated using Microsoft’s CA. This can interfere with BitLocker automatic encryption for Home. If it’s already been enabled before you install Linux, you could lock yourself out of the Windows install if you don’t know where to retrieve your recovery key. People typically install Windows first and then Linux because majority of Linux installers are smart. They detect Windows and create an entry so as to preserve booting.

When an update or upgrade takes place and Windows does its checks, it may decide “I don’t like this EFI configuration” and then completely “repair” it. Not realising that it was that way on purpose.

The solution I’ve found is to manually create boot files for each, and then use rEFInd. Writing a manual configuration that simply loads the bootloaders on the Linux and Windows partition. That way neither are aware of the other.

• alliswell33 @lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

So I’m a recent Linux user (as I created a duelbooting system this week for the first time) and I did as you said in this comment and downloaded rEFInd. Is that all you have to do or is there more to the part “manually create boot files for each”? If so would you mind giving me a brief rundown on how to do the same?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I installed Windows and Linux via command line from their installers. I did Windows first, then Linux. Each OS has its own SSD (This is where I manually created boot files for each). I booted into Windows to complete the install then did the same for Linux. Once that was done, while still in Linux, I created an EFI partition on a shared data drive. I placed refind on that and configured it. With all of that complete, I boot into firmware settings and set refind as the default.

For this to work without issue, you need at least two drives. I have three to make it even easier.

If Windows and Linux share the same drive, set up a manual partition layout with two EFI partitions. You’ll end up with this:

EFI || EFI || WinRe || Windows || Linux

The first EFI partition is for Windows, and the second is for Linux. Complete the OS installs and use a second drive for a third EFI partition to set up refind. Again, configuring it and then setting it as the default.

• alliswell33 @lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Thank you for the reply. This won’t work for me because I’m stuck duelbooting from a single SSD on a laptop. But maybe it can help someone else that stumbles on it.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I’ve not tried it, but you can do three EFI partitions on the same drive. There’s no real limit to how many EFI partitions you can have. The key here is to keep Windows and Linux boot files separate at all times. If they share the same EFI, then Windows will undoubtedly break it at some point. Having refind as the default just makes it easier to choose which OS you want. Rather than relying on Windows Boot Manager or Grub. Of course to do all this you need to wipe the disk to set up the layout.

• FlyingPiisami@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Usually people have issues with this when they don’t create the partition free space for the linux partition inside windows first

• milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Ah, that could be it. It’s a long time since I used to resize Windows from Linux; now on a new laptop I always (…I think?!) resize from Windows to make space, unless it’s a friend’s laptop with extra D/E/etc partitions I can delete or resize one.

• Eufalconimorph
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve never seen it with EFI. Used to happen with the old MBR disk format & BIOS, but with GPT disks and UEFI it leaves the ESP alone and the EFI picks the bootloader to use from that.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ditto.

I’ve never had this issue either. I’ve had GRUB and other bootloader variants “lose” windows when setting up a dual-boot, but nothing wrecked the actual partition.

• ditty@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

This just happened to me on my laptop like a week ago. I can still Systemd boot into Pop!_Os so I haven’t looked into fixing it yet.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You just need to boot from a live USB, chroot into the OS, and rebuild the boot sector. Pop has a great document on how to do it. It takes maybe 5 minutes.

• ditty@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Thanks! I assume this is the guide? I’ll have to try this out this weekend. I had looked at this earlier but moved on when it started mentioning grub since I use refind boot loader. Probably the same process nonetheless!

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Yup! That’s the one. I think you can just do the grub install and then boot in and run refind. Idk though, I’ve never used refind.

• lurch@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m a bit offended by Linux beeing in a wheelchair, implying it can’t run, even if one wheel wasn’t stolen 😤

Instead, it should be 8 legged and run the web 😉

• Tau@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I agree. I won’t lie: it’s a stolen meme too. I’m the worst!

• DarkenLM@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You underestimate the amount of critical infrastructure still running on Windows Server. It’s a nightmare.

• mac@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Image Transcription: Meme

[An image of King Charles III stealing a wheel from a wheelchair. A person on the wheelchair is angry. They are labeled as such:]

King Charles: Windows Update
    Wheel being stolen: UEFI Boot partition
    Person on wheelchair: Linux

I am a human volunteer who transcribes posts to improve accessibility on programming.dev and you could be one too! !transcribing@programming.dev

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

For others who were interested in this like I was.

Be aware that systems with secure boot enabled are not supported and the author has stated will likely never be supported due to the hassle of getting it signed by a trusted authority.

not a huge issue but, still an annoyance

• o11c@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

To be fair, Secure Boot is actively hostile toward dual-booting in the first place. Worst of all, it might seem to work for a while then suddenly start causing errors sometime later.

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

Yeah, I was just more so saying it because a lot of the larger distributions are trusted so you can use secure boot, so if you go into that expecting your OS will be supported and then find out post fact it is not might cause a surprise

• YurkshireLad@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Debian is also able to do this after an update, as it disables the os-prober by default. You have to manually re-enable it (prevent it from being disabled).

• Redeven@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah but in that case it isn’t nuking the boot files required to boot Windows, it’s just clearing the boot entry list and reenabling os-prober and updating grub is enough to fix it. It’s like a 1 minute process tops.

Windows is capable of permanently nuking your Linux boot partition, overwriting it entirely and you’d have to boot into a live iso and take several more steps to fix it unless you keep a backup of your boot partition.

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

That’s why you should only have a Linux partition. Most things Windows cam be done with WINE, Proton, or, in absolute necessity, a VM.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I still have Windows dual booted because I just can’t figure these things out. Literally just now spent an hour trying to get Topaz Gigapixel working in Bottles and it just crashes, freezes, or sometimes doesn’t launch. Installed vcredist dependencies only to have vague messages of “Failed to Install” Even tried ditching Bottles and just going through Steam and it failed there too. It’s better than it was 10 years ago, but I’ll have to keep a dual boot.

• Patch@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

These days with how good KVM is, running Windows in a VM is a pretty good option.

Not that I’m against dual booting, but depending on how many programmes you’re actually needing to boot into Windows for it can be a more convenient option.

On the other point, if you’re struggling to get things working in Wine/Bottles/etc. when the internet tells you they should work, you could try looking into CrossOver by Codeweavers. It’s a paid-for product from the company that does most of the development on Wine and Proton. Not everything can and will work in Wine/etc., but CrossOver has a free trial so it can’t hurt to give it a go.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’d be open to a VM, but in the case of Gigapixel it requires access to the GPU, which would disconnect it from the primary, my primary display. Thanks for the heads up on crossover, I’ll look into it

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I have exactly one program i need and that just won’t run in Linux. It’s the proprietary scan software that came with my scanner. It lives on a Windows VM and only gets fired up once a week.

• Tippon@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That’s one of the two? things left that are keeping me on Windows. Photoshop being the other one that I can remember.

I’ve got hundreds of old photos to scan, and a trial of lots of scanning software on Linux showed that the Windows software is currently superior. If I wasn’t using Photoshop too I could probably use a VM. Seeing as I need to be in Windows anyway, I’m sticking with that setup until the photos are scanned.

For anyone wondering, I found that scanning under Linux left the colours slightly ‘off’. It’s easy to fix, but has to be done individually, so doing it for that many photos would add way too much time to the project. It’s faster to stick with Windows until they’re scanned.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

a trial of lots of scanning software on Linux showed that the Windows software is currently superior

Sad but true. I’d even accept inferior software if I could find anything that works halfway decently. It’s really a shame. Just shows that nobody who works on Linux runs a small business.

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

i quit dual booting years ago (because of a different issue i didn’t want a repeat of). use separate systems and network them.

• LostXOR@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I used to have a dual boot but realized I hadn’t used my Windows installation in months and nuked it.