• @shneancy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

yeah it’s funny seeing Poland in that list since for a hot while we were not considered “real white” and were “slavic”, same story as what the Irish went through. From what i’m reading at some point we were even considered terrorists in the US! (because one Polish dude killed some president), and the same scare tactics as what happens around Muslim people today were engaged

history is so fun /s

• @winterayars@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        165 months ago

Yeah, whiteness is all about who isn’t white so it doesn’t make sense for it to exist without people who aren’t. The Irish, Italians, and Jews are all just some demographic shifts away from being not-white.

• @Allero@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Moreover, the concept of race is outdated and deprecated in the scientific community, mainly because most people (and nations) had some influence of several of them and can’t be strictly categorized as one or the other.

Cool that you mentioned Jews, because they are a very interesting case study. There is so much diversity within them that you’ll never be able to tell which race they belong to. There are even large groups of black jews living in Ethiopia, Uganda, Nigeria and other countries, which is a revelation for many.

• @Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          265 months ago

Oh man, you’ve never heard of racism between black people? It’s quite something…

My friend of Haitian origin can’t mention his family is from Haiti when he goes on vacation in the Dominican Republic!

Blacks from Africa hating on blacks from American countries because they’re not true blacks…

Rwanda genocide…

• @GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

The sad truth is that, at our core, we are still apes of different colors. Dumb, tribalist, warring, greedy animals, except the actual apes are nowhere near as fucked up as we are and I basically just slandered them.

Just look at Israel, the country made a safe haven for the Jews after the ww2 genocide doing a little genociding of their own now because they can. We don’t learn our lesson, ever.

• @Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              55 months ago

Fear of differences is a defense mechanism that’s perfectly normal in nature and that we must fight since, as you said, we’re just animals in the end…

• @winterayars@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            65 months ago

A lot of that is down to colonial meddling, though obviously not all of it.

Asian countries get in on this kind of thing, too. Try being Asian-but-not-Chinese in China or even Singapore.

• @voidMainVoid@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              55 months ago

Try being Asian-but-not-Chinese in China or even Singapore.

Or being Korean in Japan… The funny thing is that anthropologists believe that the (non-indigeonous) Japanese actually descended from Koreans.

• @Dudewitbow@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              25 months ago

You can even just be an asian born elsewhere but that ethnicity and get shit talked by those native from said country. Doesn’t even have to be between ethnicities.

• @SkyezOpen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          75 months ago

Seeing as the “one drop rule” is still essentially in effect, yeah basically. Moreover, “white” was never a skin color. Irish people weren’t considered white when they were mass immigrating to the US, and they’re the palest motherfuckers that exist.

It’s all made up.

• Something Burger 🍔
      link
      fedilink
      325 months ago

And being virtually impossible to attack, with a friendly country up north, poor countries down south, and oceans to the east and west.

• nifty
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I don’t know, natural resources are also abundant in Canada or Australia? I think a combination of high salaries and constant influx of highly talented and competitive immigrants (to study at U.S. universities) from other countries is a natural contributor to U.S. economic and intellectual strength. The students who come to study here end up staying to work, which works out well for companies looking for highly skilled workers. That all said, if you’re not a certain type of immigrant or worker, living in the U.S. is super hard and economically trying—increasing equity is something that all countries should attempt to resolve.

• @WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Australia’s mostly desert. A huge portion of Canada is an extremely thin layer of soil over solid bedrock which makes farming pretty much impossible, and a lot of the rest is tundra. The most important natural resource is arable land and neither Canada nor Australia have much of it.

• @lorkano@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

This guy listing Poland there while I am refusing to travel to USA sightseeing due to personal safety which is not an issue in Poland. Power of country does not directly correlate with standard of living, Russia is the great example where living is shit yet it’s still a “superpower”

• Lev_Astov
        link
        fedilink
        275 months ago

Seriously; I’ve seen several such posts stating a belief that it’s unsafe to visit the US, but that’s wildly ignoring statistics. The violent crime rate is like half what it was in the 90s and continues its general downward trend, falling further to below the previous bottom in '19. And most of that still stems from gang violence and the like, so it’s never near what tourists are doing.

I don’t get it; I think people just like acting scared for some reason. Or maybe it’s them grasping for a reason to feel superior? People love that kind of thing…

• @Tikiporch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I assume the media there does the same thing the media does here. If it bleeds, it leads. Violent news gets top billing, while news of plummeting crime rates isn’t advertised.

• @FireTower@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          75 months ago

It’s just how media works and our media is the loudest.

an unusual, infrequent event (such as a man biting a dog) is more likely to be reported as news than an ordinary, everyday occurrence with similar consequences, such as a dog biting a man.

The only perspective people from outside the US have is that from the media. So when they see the man bites dog stories they assume that to be usual and frequent.

• @lorkano@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

What about New York subway? I have friends that were in new York and they just didn’t feel safe there at all. And this is a usual part of traveling. I’ve recently been in Japan where I was never uneasy or concerned in the slightest, feeling completely safe walking in night or day anywhere, which for sure wouldn’t be the case in US.

• @TopRamenBinLaden@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

The subway in New York is still safer than driving, honestly. It only gets kind of sketchy if you are traveling very late hours and alone. Even then, as long as you are smart and use busy entrances and exits, and ride in the car closest to the conductor, the chances of anything happening to you are extremely slim.

There are little areas all over the US that you probably wouldn’t feel safe in, but those places are usually a bit off the beaten path for tourist destinations. I imagine it’s the same pretty much everywhere, though. Even in Japan, there are districts like Kabukicho and Roppongi, which are infamous for their shady bars and scamming tourists. Many stories of tourists being drugged and robbed, or overcharged and arrested because they didn’t know they were being scammed and charged thanks to the language barrier.

• @lorkano@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        55 months ago

Zero or not, person from outside can only know that numbers look worse. Homicide rate alone in the USA is roughly 9 times higher than in Poland. You hear about school shootings every other week as well which doesn’t help.

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

LOL, it’s boolshit. Homicide is almost always from a person known to the victim, most violent crime is. Not like we’re out here just randomly murdering strangers. Year after year, decade after decade, violent crime is down and down and down.

Gun violence? Not what the media shows us. Note that the leftmost numbers are from a very liberal news outlet, and those are the lowest figures.

School shootings? Not what you think. It’s nighttime on a holiday week. If I go down to the local elementary playground and pop one in the ground at the soccer field, that’s a school shooting. Seriously. You can Google it for yourself. Anytime a weapon is discharged on school grounds, “school shooting”.

And keep in mind, “If it bleeds, it leads!”. The media is showing us the very worst that a nation of 333,000,000 souls, across 3,797,000 square miles has to offer.

• @steveman_ha@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Depends on where you go; some places its easy to end up finding yourself in the wrong place, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area…

But yeah, school shootings?? it’s not just some d-bags having target practice at night on the football field (unfortunately, rather than a pitch – different story tho), kids die in school shootings here like every other week bud. It really does happen, like a lot, which is actually a pretty uniquely shitty thing in the world today (outside of e.g. the Congo, Chinese elementary schools, …)

Pretty well thought-out hot take, though, cheers for the high-brow write-up.

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              15 months ago

FWIW, I’m a liberal gun nut, so I read a lot about these issues from both sides, though I shy away from the obviously partisan stuff.

As for finding yourself in the wrong place? How often has this happened to you? Was just laughing with a new coworker about how South Chicago ain’t what it’s made out to be. When I was young and dumb, I put myself in many dangerous parts of a few different towns. Had I been carrying a gun? Not sure I would have ever had occasion to draw it.

Got another unusual take; I’m middle-aged and have small children. Just saying, I’m not about to downplay school shootings, but at the same time, I’ve been around the block.

Yes, for first world countries, it’s a uniquely shitty thing, no doubt. Didn’t use to happen, and we Americans have always had ass loads of guns. Columbine kicked it off. Lots to talk about there.

But here’s the internet’s most anti-gun advocates proving my point:

Everytown tracks every time a firearm discharges a live round inside or into a school building or on or onto a school campus or grounds, as documented by the press.

Exactly as I said. Here’s the latest “shooting” I found - 12/05/23. Someone shot a cop on school grounds. While I’m no fan of the police, that sort of thing isn’t what we’re all thinking of when we hear “school shooting”.

Kinda weird that you threw China in though, where civilians can’t own weapons. And saying that school shootings happen “a lot”? That makes me think you’re reacting from emotions and not facts, reacting to news stories, ya know the “bleeds = leads” thing, and not facts. That and the snarky finish.

link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Also, Chicago like NYC has become a lot “safer” in many areas due to cameras, “proactive” policing, etc. Come to Detroit sometime, we don’t have money yet for “cool” stuff like that. See what kind of a difference it makes lol. Even back in the day, Chicago and Detroit went back and forth as the murder capitals of the US (NYC got in there too a lot). Those numbers weren’t just relatively high, they were absolutely just high on their own. Just because you never had trouble yourself, doesn’t mean… Blah blah blah. Happy New Year btw

link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                5 months ago

Yeah, not proud of the snarky finish, but I think we’re definitely talking past each other a bit either way.

Side note: even without guns, China has a surprisingly high incidence of mass attacks at primary schools – with weapons other than guns. Knives are the most common, ppl on a rampage don’t mind putting in the extra work if they have to I guess… But yeah. Primary schools.

Its cool to be a contrarian on the internet, but I’ve got two young children too, and tbf any violence in schools is too much. Honestly don’t give a shit if even 99% of “shootings” were just that (they’re not, but still), that 1% is no less serious of a problem than if it was 99%.

Especially since, again, we’re somehow the only country in the world that has such a problem keeping kids from getting murdered at school.

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  25 months ago

Now we’re talking!

Columbine kicked off the school shooting thing. Want infinite notoriety? Want to commit suicide by cop? Shoot up a school. Did ya know those assholes had a failed pipe bomb? Imagine if that had worked. We might be looking at a whole different issue.

Anyway, I suspect we agree on much. As to guns, I’ll keep saying this; America doesn’t have a gun problem, America has a culture problem.

• @zik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      245 months ago

I don’t think anyone seriously believes Russia is a superpower any more after their failure to take Ukraine.

• @Barsukis@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    275 months ago

Bro has never visited Lithuania or Poland. The countries are amazing and probably more advanced in many regards than 90% of US shithole states

• ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

american education is so crap they went from firstworld to borderline second world. lithuania and poland have first world problems (i want one charger for all phones) while idiocracy land counts schoolmassacres, votes the orange and has overall turned into a deranged country. the rural areas have turned into a time capsule of backwardness.

• @Hadriscus@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

I understand you are not trolling now. I wasn’t completely sure before.

Friend, you are confusing the people with the nations they live under. Forget about the “my country is better” stuff, this is middle school level argumentation at best. Give up your pride, be critical of the issues in the world, understand the majority of them are caused by class warfare. From there you can realize that you have more in common with a Polish guy the same social class as you, than with a bourgeois dude who happens to also be an American.

Right now the health system in the US works for profit because private interests have infiltrated the US institutions and control the policy making process. Class solidarity is where it’s at. Cheers,

• @Hadriscus@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              25 months ago

Thanks bro. Jerboa gave me an error on sending, so I retried and it gave me an error again. I’ll leave it in case someone needs to read it twice. Cheers,

• @Rin@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          15 months ago

Russia couldn’t get half way through Ukraine, what makes you think it can come through Europe’s fastest growing military?

• @Hadriscus@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          -15 months ago

I understand you are not trolling now. I wasn’t completely sure before.

Friend, you are confusing the people with the nations they live under. Forget about the “my country is better” stuff, this is middle school level argumentation at best. Give up your pride, be critical of the issues in the world, understand the majority of them are caused by class warfare. From there you can realize that you have more in common with a Polish guy the same social class as you, than with a bourgeois dude who happens to also be an American.

Right now the health system in the US works for profit because private interests have infiltrated the US institutions and control the policy making process. Class solidarity is where it’s at. Cheers,

• @Asudox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Zoophilia is a paraphilia in which a person experiences a sexual fixation on non-human animals.

• @Chocrates@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    225 months ago

America was only exceptional in that we profited heavily off of WW2. We were one of the only countries whose land was basically untouched and after the war we created a bunch of money and gave that to war ravaged Europe to buy shit from us.

It is much more nuanced than that, but we had been riding that high a couple generations and now all that “prosperity” has been squandered.

• Kit Sorens
        link
        fedilink
        205 months ago

I would be interested in hearing of any country with the sheer volume of immigrants that the US has from every continent. We have migrants from every European nation, africa (including modern african culture, not just the results of the slave trade and imancipation), asian immigrants, including China, Japan, Veitnamese, Indian, even indigenous peoples as far as Oceania. And every culture is represented in our own, much to the dismay of those that believe our great works came solely from white hands. Our democracy is founded on a melting pot of ideas and inputs, not a euro-centric empire graciously allowing “lesser men” in it’s borders.

• @hemko@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

It’s funny because I believe it’s Russia that’s the most diverse country in the world (in terms of “ethnicities”), mainly because it’s so fucking huge

• @TranscendentalEmpire@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      45 months ago

It depends on if you are speaking about ethnicity, the concept of race, or the diversity of genetics. I guess it also depends if you are talking about the percent of the total population, or just the total amount of ethnic groups living in the state.

America may be racially diverse, or have a large number of different ethnicities living in the country. But when it comes to ethnic and genetic diversity, it’s pretty hard to beat just about any country in Africa.

• @PsiFren@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    165 months ago

The artist who drew that Eevee appears to go by wanco HT. A higher quality version of Eevee can be found here. Hopefully, this’ll save someone else some time.

• @viking@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      145 months ago

Neither are they shitoles. Poland especially is a great place to be. Russia has it’s issues, even before the madman in charge went fully berserk, but they are nothing compared to some places like Somalia that deserve the name.

• There’s a reason that despite it’s trash record for human rights, Russia is considered “First world”. It’s a fairly modern country with access to technology, infrastructure, medicine, etc. most of the world doesn’t even have that.

It’s pretty on par for European and American living standards outside of the ABHORRENT human rights situation there.

• @duffman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        15 months ago

Russia lost 27 million in WW2, i imagine it took take many generations to recover from that. Certainly doesn’t help to have a shitty government.

• @woelkchen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        -55 months ago

While most of the Russian territory is in Asia, the most of population leaves in the European part.

So? The claim was that Russia was a white nation which is objectively wrong.

• @ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

The likelihood that two randomly selected people in a Russia will be from two different groups (ethnicities, religions, etc.) is less than 25%. That’s very low. It’s a very, very white nation. 81% of Russia is ethically Russian, and in most of the world that means “white.” Putin is white by every common definition, like 81% of his country.

• @TranscendentalEmpire@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

I mean, yes the majority of Russia is in Asia. But, the vast majority of the population is located west of the Ural mountains and are ethnically Slavic peoples.

The people in Russia who look Asian are ethnic minorities from east of the Ural mountains, namely of Turkic and Mongolian descent. The vast majority of ethnic Russians treat them like second class citizens.