• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

Ver- words are often green because of Latin. “Verde” in Italian, “Vert” in French, “Verdant” in English

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        22 days ago

Given most of the US population lives between Massachusetts and Florida (so would likely have more of French exposure via English and history) , and the French influence in lots of English, it’s a toss up.

I certainly learned the French vert long before the Spanish verde.

• doctordevice@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          22 days ago

You’re telling me you never encountered salsa verde before learning the French word “vert”? Even if true, I highly doubt that’s the norm.

And I’m not sure why you think being on the East Coast matters. 13% of Americans speak Spanish at home, less than 0.4% speak French or Cajun at home. That’s a ridiculously huge region you’ve cited that includes NYC where you’re probably going to visit a bodega long before you learn “vert” and Florida which has major Spanish influence, just like the other two most populous states California and Texas. I live about 100 miles from the Canadian border in the west, so by your geographic argument I should encounter more French than Spanish, but Spanish exposure is way more common here.

• ThirdWorldOrder@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            21 days ago

I live on the east coast and took French for many years since I also lived in Canada. I’ve only heard of verde. No I didn’t do well in French class

• Bob@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

No mention of viridian, a blueish green, in these comments, I see.

• HEXN3T@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

My favourite letter is V. This is likely as a result of one of my favourite childhood games; VVVVVV. Main protagonist?

Captain Viridian.

I could never forget about the existence of the best alternative to turquoise.

• myusernameis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Veridian Dynamics we can even make radishes so spicy that people can’t eat them, but we’re not because people can’t eat them, Veridian Dynamics, Food. Yum.

Spelled different, but seemed relevant.

• Bob@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

I looked up “veridian” and found out it’s spelt “viridian” so maybe that’s the true Mandela effect at play here!

• MeDuViNoX@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 days ago

Yeah, I was going to say it might be because people associate it with veridian, but I’m late to the party.

• 𝔼𝕩𝕦𝕤𝕚𝕒@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

Vermillion being red fucks a lot of millennials up who grew up watching Pokemon.

Vermillion city not being a shade of yellow is the standout because it hosts the Electric Gym (yellow themed). Every other city’s gym is related to the town color.

::: spoiler

• Rock Gym is Pewter city (gray)
    • water gym is Cerulean city (blue)
    • grass gym is Celadon city (greenish)
    • poison gym is Fuschia city (pinkish is commonly poison for pokemon)
    • the FIGHTING gym is in Saffron city (orange ish is a Fighting type color in the tcg)
    • Fire gym is on Cinnabar Island (bright red)
    • Earth Badge is in Viridian (an earthy green)

Saffron City was built with the fighting gym in place. Sabrina’s psychic gym has JUST replaced him when you get to town

:::

• PotatoesFall
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Gotta respect the spoiler warning for a game/show that’s almost 30 years old

• MindTraveller@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 days ago

This is a pretty poorly made comic but I’ll take it seriously and say that unless brown hair guy is 70, black hair guy’s argument sucks.

• ASeriesOfPoorChoices@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              21 days ago

I feel that mindtraveller has not travelled far out of his cave, his mind, or in time.

And hilarity on “poorly made”. Honestly, I’m a little stunned that people on the internet wouldn’t recognise a comic so popular it spawned 5+ annual geek conventions in multiple countries. Oh, and multiple computer games, boardgames and a PNP RPG. Dear god, those two guys’ legacy is so huge.

And who could forget dickwolves?!

• MindTraveller@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              21 days ago

I’m just saying that recycling the poses and using stock expression components is some CAD tier laziness, the joke isn’t funny, and the style is overly reliant on dialogue, which wastes the benefits of a visual medium. I’d rather actually read CAD, because at least then there’s a chance of seeing a visual gag that appropriately uses the comic medium.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            21 days ago

I’m not 70 and I’ve always known that Kong died by falling from the building since I was a child. You’re right that you can’t assume that everyone else knows that, though.

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          21 days ago

If those spoiler tags were universal, I would use them all the time. That’s one thing I really love about another small forum I use, is that if I worry that I’m ranting, I can just slap a <details> tag on there and anyone who doesn’t want to read six paragraphs about why A Certain Magical Index is ass doesn’t have to

• MacN'Cheezus@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

Fun fact: apparently vermillion is actually made from cinnabar, so there’s no reason why Vermillion City shouldn’t have been located on Cinnabar Island.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

It’s because the ver looks like vert which is the french word for green

Vermont is derived from Green Mountain

So vermilion looks like it could mean a green million, which sounds like a funny way to say a million dollars.

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

It took me years to even realize Vermilion, Viridian, and Cerulean are hues of colour, not just cities in Kanto.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I always feel like Portuguese is the romance language that hated their parents and refused to participate in any family activities. Like Latin is in the front seat yelling back “Cur non eritis sicut sorores tuae!” and Portuguese is in the way back going, “Pare de tentar controlar quem eu sou!”

• eestileib@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

People speaking Russian always triggers my Portuguese language processor, so yeah I’d say that’s accurate.

Here’s the thing about Portuguese: you can go from portuguese to other romance languages much more easily than the reverse. If you want to learn Italian, French and Portuguese, start with Portuguese.

• MudMan@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Aw, came here to say that and got beaten to the punch. Damn you, fast Portuguese speakers.

• phx@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

I wonder if the mental association is due to people thinking of French colours:

• Verte=Green, looks vaguely like vertemilloon
        • Rouge=Red, looks vaguely like Charterouge
    • kerrigan778@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      20 days ago

Chartreuse is named after the liquour which is named after the monastary which is named after the mountains which is named after the village which is of ambiguous origin but likely named from a Gaulish tribe. So you’re gonna have to rewrite an awful lot of history if you want to come after chartreuse.

• dream_weasel@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        20 days ago

I, for one, am willing to make this sacrifice. Specifically to say it’s worth it for someone to rewrite a lot of history; I’ve got a thing going on so I can’t volunteer for that even though I really want to darn.

• curiousaur@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

And vermillion comes from Kermes vermilio, a red insect used to make the pigment. What’s your point?

• DefederateLemmyMl@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          20 days ago

My apologies, I didn’t know this and stand corrected. I no longer think that one of your suggestions is stupid, I think both of them are.

• curiousaur@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            20 days ago

Are you literate? The conversation wasn’t about etymology. It was about words “feeling” a certain color. Specifically without explanation.

• Noodle07@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 days ago

Eh the chartreuse is originally the name of the mountain and it’s got green trees on it 🤷

• kerrigan778@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        20 days ago

It’s named after the liquour, if you follow the chain of naming it goes beyond the mountains regardless but the color is named after the color of the liquour, not the colour of the mountains.