A Republican state senator has called for “civil war” if Donald Trump loses the presidential election in November.

George Lang, an Ohio politician, made the comment as he introduced JD Vance at his first solo campaign event since becoming Trump’s running mate.

After taking to the stage fist-raised and shouting Trump’s post-shooting battle cry “Fight! Fight!”, Mr Lang warned of an existential threat facing Americans. He declared in front of a large, heated crowd in Ohio: “We are in the fight for the soul of our nation… for our kids, for our grandkids, it is a fight we can never imagine.

“I believe wholeheartedly, Donald Trump and Butler County’s JD Vance are the last chance to save our country. Politically, I’m afraid if we lose this one, it’s going to take a civil war to save the country.”

Video of the speech

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

But the US didn’t have tanks and planes back then. Surely our muskets will be even more effective against those.

• The Assman@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

The US would win without ever firing a single shot. Cut off electricity, the countless food products we import, imported fuel, cheap products from China, USPS/FedEx/Amazon Prime/etc, and so on. A week of eating gruel in the dark and they’ll be begging to rejoin the US.

• just_another_person@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Bullfuckingshit. I said it when Trump was shot at, and I’ll keep saying it: only ONE party has been ramping up the rhetoric for violence, and it sure as fuck isn’t coming from Democrats. These morons obviously don’t care if they get shot at again, because it’s not in their minds that they are causing the problem.

This is their M.O. though:

1. Identify a target to rant about
    2. Call for violence
    3. Say you’re TOTALLY FUCKING SERIOUS THIS TIME
    4. Apologize and act like that’s enough, knowing what you said will stick with the crowd, but the Democrats aren’t going to call bullshit.

Here’s a thought: Biden uses his last 6 months of King Powers granted by the SC to put everyone of these fuckers in jail by Executive Order on sedition and treason charges, backing it up by making it an “Official Act” since Trump was shot at, and these assholes are trying to get more people shot at. That’ll shut them the fuck up.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I was saying that after Jan 6.

Historically speaking, not purging your opposition after an attempted coup or change of power is one of the dumbest decisions you can make, second only to putting/leaving the opposition in positions of power and also making them your successor.

In American history, we saw it with Lincoln, resulting in his assassination and the end of reconstruction, and less dramatically, we saw it when Obama (and more recently Biden) left like half of Bush’s appointees in power, who immediately use their power to sabotage the administration.

• ghostdoggtv@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Executive orders not needed, there are actually crimes they can be charged with but for the federalist society plant running DOJ

• 800XL@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Call your Senators and Representatives and give them an earful about this. If they shrug you off or they are on the side of those calling for civil war, then let other gov’t officials know.

We collectively need to stop allowing these shit lords from getting away with putting the idea of war against each other into the minds of those that otherwise know it’s wrong but just follow groupthink

• CosmicTurtle0@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

One minor, but important distinction:

Yes, the alt right and Republicans generally have been ramping up violent rhetoric. They broke the social contract and thus are no longer covered by it.

They are now valid targets of violence.

It’s a subtle distinction but important one and one we on the left must be careful to employ because the Alt-right will use any violence against them and will respond in kind.

• jwiggler@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I mean, you’re totally right until the last paragraph. I don’t think Biden locking them up by executive order would shut them up. I think it’s more likely that would spark the civil war they’re so desperate to have. They’re like Kyle Rittenhouse, just waiting for an excuse to shoot a leftist.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Sorry, it doesn’t read with inflection properly I guess. I guess just every time some random trying to curry favor with Trump calls for violence or a Civil War, that there should be punishment. Seems Biden can do that now milli-vanilli, and he should use it for some good.

• WraithGear@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

That and the Supreme Court gets to decide what king powers are legal, and who gets to exercise it. And its not Biden

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I see people constantly saying that democracy will end, there wont be elections again, they will do all kinds of evil things, etc. How is that not ramping up rhetoric for violence?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Trump has specifically said these things. The Project 2025 psychos have said these things. Those are threats. Therefore, that is a threat to democracy, and democracy ending. So again, it’s only coming from one side, the MAGA clowns.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

So how then how does your team claiming democracy will end if they win not ramp up rhetoric for violence?

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

If Trump is orange Hitler then it would be good stop him by any means necessary. If your claim is “If Trump takes power that will end democracy” how is that not rhetoric for violence?

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Because the Democrats aren’t out there saying “HEY, WE NEED A FUCKING CIVIL WAR AND TO START KILLING PEOPLE WHO ARENT ON BOARD WITH OUR NAZI V2 BULLSHIT!”, those are Trump’s cronies saying this shit.

The Democrats are out there saying to show up and vote.

Big fucking difference, and the pedantry of your question says you’re trying to troll, or completely ignorant at best if you can’t tell the difference on your own. WTF.

• ValorieAF@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Republicans immediately after trump was shot at:

Political violence is never okay.

Republicans 1 week after trump was shot at:

If trump loses we’ll start killing people!

• Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If we lose this election we will need to have a civil war to save the country? So what he’s saying, in essence, is that if Trump can’t get enough support to win an election, his supporters should overthrow the government. Am I understanding that correctly?

• AdolfSchmitler@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Kyle Gass makes an edgy joke and he gets canceled. This fucker calls for literal civil war and it’s considered business as usual. Got it.

• Spezi@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

But Kyle Gass is much more influential, he decides policies and laws and swore an oath to serve the people while George Lang is just a musician.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The temperature is definitely rising. I’d be lying if I said I’d be cool with Republicans succeeding at keeping Harris (or whoever the Dem pick is) off the ballots in any state - we have a questionable democracy right now… we’d definitely not have a democracy then.

• gAlienLifeform@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

And there is a majority of Americans ready to tell those dumb nerds to shut up with their boring nonsense

But since they’ve got a broken electoral system and the billionaires on their side it could go either way

• kescusay@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

And those same mendacious, disingenuous fuck-knuckles get pseudo-patriotism boners when Trump whips out the “I took a bullet for democracy” line, without an ounce of shame or even self-awareness.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I assure you, the people who are aware of the US’s history and don’t recognize it as a democracy (or more specifically, recognize it as a bourgeoisie democracy), are not patriotic or pro-trump.

A simple test for who the US government represents: Does it’s actions favor the people or the bourgeoisie?

• CaliforniaSober@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Your definition of democracy seems to hinge on your own whims.

Your desperation to invalidate democracy based on a switching of candidates shows two things… 1 shit happens… not too different as the decades pass, and 2 you don’t understand the meaning of “democracy” and are desperate to just talk shit…

Dems switching candidates doesn’t invalidate democracy it just shows how desperate you are to discount it…

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

What? I’m talking about Republicans suing to keep a democrat off the ticket - that’s a much different ball game than the convention. I want an open process in both arenas without tampering.

• kitnaht@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Way to completely miss what he said there. He said “with republicans SUCCEEDING AT KEEPING HARRIS OFF OF THE BALLOTS”. How the fuck does this drivel have so many upvotes when it completely misses the argument.

• ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Oh no! What will we do if morbidly obese 70 year-old slobs who are so afraid of cities that they think they need a gun to visit San Francisco start a civil war? How will we ever defeat the sandy vagina brigade that thinks a reality TV host is a big a strong man?

• Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

San Fran? I live in rural America and I see twits like this at the grocery store. They are too scared to go buy a gallon of milk without being strapped.

• RedditWanderer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Odds are there will be no real civil war. The assault on the capitol only worked because Trump was in power letting it happen, and even then they didn’t get too far. A lot of those assholes went to prison.

Go vote and let them attack the US gov.

• suction@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I believe them and that’s why I want to have them start a civil war. It’s the best way to purge these elements and it won’t take days to do so, more like minutes.

• ashok36@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

People are too comfortable to have a civil war. People will rebel when they’re hungry, jobless, and have zero prospect for the future.

It’s gonna have to get a lot worse before then if a war were to happen.

• piccolo@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

things were going pretty well in 1860, until states decided the constitution didn’t apply to them, which is likely the same scenario this time if anything were to happen.

• UmeU@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Things were not going well in 1860 for black people.

Also, the north couldn’t compete economically with the south because the south had all the free labor and longer growing season.

• Bojimbo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

It was my understanding that the North was economically surpassing the South leading up to the Civil War as they embraced technological advancements in transportation, manufacturing, and agriculture.

• UmeU@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

They were still struggling to compete with the free labor of the south if I am not mistaken.

• piccolo@ani.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

It was the other way, the south couldn’t compete economically with the north. the north had the advantage of manufacturing superiority. The south depended on cotton exports, and their biggest buyers were…the north… They betted on being able to keep exporting to the UK, but the Union had strong navy blackades preventing easy way to export, and the UK had their new india territories to source cotton, so it wasn’t worth it for the UK to support the rebellious americans.

• UmeU@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Those blockades came in 1861, but for decades prior, the white people in the south prospered off of their free labor. The south was wealthy and its economy was rapidly growing. That all went to shit for them when as you said the UK stopped buying their cotton.

• piccolo@ani.social
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

so… It was a good time, until they fucked themselves by being traitorous bastards?

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

A lot of those assholes went to prison.

Except one particular asshole that is still running for Presidency.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

God… them doing it again and thinking Trump will just pardon them again and the cops will “Stand down”…

That would…

• ResoluteCatnap@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

(Reposting from another thread)

Enough is enough. Shit like this is putting us on a path for another insurrection.

Here is a sample letter to provide George Lang, especially if you are an OH resident. George Lang contact form

subject: “Call for Resignation Due to Undemocratic Remarks”

Dear Senator Lang,

I am writing to express my profound disappointment and concern regarding your recent comments about the potential need for a civil war if certain political outcomes are not achieved. Your statement, “I’m afraid if we lose this one, it’s going to take a civil war to save the country, and it will be saved,” is not only deeply irresponsible but also fundamentally undemocratic. Such rhetoric is dangerous and unbecoming of a public servant in a democratic society.

As a concerned citizen, I am compelled to voice my strong objection to your words. They undermine the very principles upon which our nation was founded: the peaceful transition of power and the rule of law. Democracy thrives on debate, disagreement, and ultimately, the will of the people as expressed through free and fair elections. The suggestion that violence is an acceptable response to losing an election is antithetical to these principles.

An apology for this grave error is simply not sufficient. The damage caused by promoting the idea of civil unrest as a solution to political disagreement cannot be undone with mere words of regret. Your statement has the potential to incite division and violence, putting our nation and its citizens at risk.

In light of the seriousness of your comments, I call on you to resign from your position as a United States Senator. The responsibilities of your office require a commitment to uphold democratic values and to lead with integrity. Your recent remarks have shown a disregard for these responsibilities, and as such, stepping down is the most honorable course of action you can take for the sake of our country’s stability and unity.

The United States faces numerous challenges that require thoughtful, collaborative solutions. It is imperative that our leaders prioritize dialogue and cooperation over divisive and inflammatory rhetoric. I urge you to consider the impact of your words and to take responsibility for them by resigning your seat.

Sincerely,

[Your First Name]

Additionally i encourage looking up your Senators and contacting them as well:

Subject: “Urgent: Call to Denounce Undemocratic Rhetoric and Advocate for Resignation”

Dear Senator [Senator’s Name],

I am writing to express my profound disappointment and concern regarding recent comments made by Senator George Lang about the potential need for a civil war if certain political outcomes are not achieved. His statement, “I’m afraid if we lose this one, it’s going to take a civil war to save the country, and it will be saved,” is not only deeply irresponsible but also fundamentally undemocratic. Such rhetoric is dangerous and unbecoming of a public servant in a democratic society.

As your constituent, I am compelled to voice my strong objection to such words. They undermine the very principles upon which our nation was founded: the peaceful transition of power and the rule of law. Democracy thrives on debate, disagreement, and ultimately, the will of the people as expressed through free and fair elections. The suggestion that violence is an acceptable response to losing an election is antithetical to these principles.

An apology for this grave error is simply not sufficient. The damage caused by promoting the idea of civil unrest as a solution to political disagreement cannot be undone with mere words of regret. His statement has the potential to incite division and violence, putting our nation and its citizens at risk.

In light of the seriousness of these comments, I call on you to take a stand against such rhetoric. I urge you to publicly denounce these remarks and advocate for Senator Lang’s resignation from his position. The responsibilities of a United States Senator require a commitment to uphold democratic values and to lead with integrity. His recent remarks have shown a disregard for these responsibilities, and as such, stepping down is the most honorable course of action he can take for the sake of our country’s stability and unity.

The United States faces numerous challenges that require thoughtful, collaborative solutions. It is imperative that our leaders prioritize dialogue and cooperation over divisive and inflammatory rhetoric. I urge you to consider the impact of these words and to take a firm stand for democracy.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your response and to seeing our representatives uphold the values that make our country strong.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Make sure to send to both senators, regardless of their party.

• BaroqueInMind@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I promise you they don’t read this shit and either have free volunteering moronic and willing slave laborers read this or pay a few interns minimum wage to read all this shit and send back pre-written canned replies.

Sending this is likely a complete waste of fucking time. I wouldn’t know for sure, but I’m willing to bet money on it.

• skozzii@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Honestly, at this point I’m getting tired of them saying it all the time.

Do it.

It would not go the way they think it would go, and the confederate/nazi/MAGA party would be swiftly defeated within days/hours. They do not have the support they think they have, most Americans don’t let politics run their lives and Fox poison their brains and a civil war would actually wake those Americans up to the seriousness of what’s going on right now.

• PenisDuckCuck9001@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

At the end of the day, starting a whole-ass war because some people get to have a better life than the bible says they should just isn’t a good cause. It sucks that a lot of people think otherwise.

• kitnaht@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Not with a supreme court that’s willing to say Unicorns exist for the sake of a legal argument. Law means nothing in this land for republicans right now.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Do you see Biden’s AG charging them with treason?

They didn’t capitalize on Jan 6th to purge everyone involved, just gave a few car dealership owners a slap on the wrist.

• ricecake@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It should be noted that a large swath of that act has been overturned by the supreme court in the decades since the 40s.

It’s where we get the distinction between “advocating for revolution” and “telling people to revolt, now”.

One is protected because “violent revolution” in an abstract sense is a protected political policy position.
      The law was originally used to target unionists and socialists who said we needed to tear the system down and rebuild it, by force if necessary.

What isn’t protected is an imminent call to action or direct incitement to lawlessness.

Advocating for the ability to do something that violates the current law is the only way to advocate for changing a law.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Save the country from what exactly? Save it from gay rights? Save it from trans rights? That’s it isn’t it? They want to save the country from human fucking rights.

• InternetUser2012@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

So they’re moving on to this to scare people from voting because they know they’re absolutely fucked right now. Fuck that nonsense, VOTE. Volunteer to help give rides to people that otherwise wouldn’t be able to vote.

• nifty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

They invoke “civil war” phrase every time they feel threatened, and then wonder why their candidate faced an assassination. Who do they think is the dumbass here? Their voters? Or the opposition?

• MNByChoice@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Not to make light, but one does not simply “start a civil war”. A civil war needs armies and territory. It is just terrorism without those.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I think that is what modern civil war in america would be, the country is too split for some kind of army situation. The urban-rural divide makes it rather strange.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

So you are claiming that if republican types would feel strongly enough to split from the country, and the military (which is a majority republican) would be willing to kill people with the same ideology because they did an oath long ago? And you actually think there would be a winner in a civil war?

• GeneralVincent@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

The military isn’t just a bunch of Trump loving extremists. It’s just as divided as the rest of the population, but they also are very strict about upholding the constitution and democracy. If people of their same ideology threatened the United States’ peace and democracy, most active duty members would likely be willing to fight against them

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

You are making the assumption that they would agree with you poltically and that the GOP is the one that would be breaking the rules and being the cause of the peace being disturbed. Which side wants a revolution? Whos revoultuion is currently happening?

• MNByChoice@midwest.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

Do we actually know the military is majority Republican now?

(I grew up hearing that, but have since learned a lot of repeated things from childhood was a lie.)