• Macaroni_ninja@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 hour ago

Same with IKEA, even though you can look up the exact box sizes online there are still people trying to fit sofas into a Fiat 500.

• ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 minutes ago

I was in college and needed to fix my apartment. I didn’t own a car and took the bus to Lowe’s. I called my buddy who had a car.

I’m in this picture.

• Liz@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

I really hope AI continues to have noticable failures. I have my doubts, but one can hope.

• Ricky Rigatoni@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 hours ago

And this one makes absolutely no sense because a single search gives you hundreds of these pictures. It took more effort to generate these than to find them.

• Sam_Bass@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

i have sn 8ft long trailer with a 4 ft long tailgate that csn extend the 8ft to 12ft yet i still had some 12ft long corrugate roof panels delivered by the store as they have s forklift to unload with

• tino@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

Go to the Netherlands and see the same thing, but with bikes. I once brought back a 1,5 meter long wooden pannel under my arm. I didn’t anticipate the wind, which started to push me out of the road.

• bonn2@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

The accord driver 100% planned that out. Now if it was a good plan is up for debate.

• abbiistabbii@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 hours ago

“I NEED TO DRIVE EVERYWHERE BECAUSE I CAN’T TAKE A LOAD OF TWO BY FOURS ON A BIKE!!!”

*buys car*

*does shit like this*

It’s the pickup, a car designed to carry shit, that is struggling to carry shit that does it for me. Do American DIY shops not do Home Delivery?

• ForensicFart@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 hours ago

You’re getting downvoted for speaking the truth. If the truck’s absurd fake crunch isn’t obvious enough for people at least recognize the car behind it blending into the clip art quality wood layer.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              42 minutes ago

Yeah, 3 out of 4 AI generated fodder and the 4th is using some weird downscale that manages to also give off AI vibes… I can understand the impression myself…

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                29 minutes ago

Nope the others aren’t AI generated either. Same weird filter on all of them to make it feel that way. Seriously don’t know why or how they did it.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 hour ago

Absurd fake crunch? Dude the bed is meant to support the weight you aren’t supposed to put a pallet on the bare aluminum frame like that. It’s exactly how it crunches when people put heavy things across the top of their bed like that.
          Trucks aren’t magical. They still have limits.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            54 minutes ago

Ya’ll are right, I know how beds work but that original picture is so crunchy it looks fake without having seen the higher res image that _bcron posted. The post was funny but that particular shot just stood out funny to me, glad to be corrected

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              37 minutes ago

I have no idea how they managed to make the photo look AI generated with compression and it now has me thinking it’s literally gonna be a style to make real photos look like that, like someone predicted at the start of the AI generated movement.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            41 minutes ago

I think it was more how weird the downscale looked for that one, along with being posted next to AI generated ones.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              33 minutes ago

I still wonder if it was purposefully done to make them look AI generated cause I have compressed photos to 144p and they don’t look that warped and fluid. Like they fed it backwards through an AI generator.

P.S. pretty sure they are all real. Seen these photos on reddit years ago.

• curled@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

Yea you are? Sprinters or Crafters easily fit a stack of sheets, at least in the EU they do

• gnu@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

As in plasterboard sheets? I don’t see why not if hand loading, plenty of vans will fit a 2400x1200 sheet (my Transporter fitted a bunch of plywood with room to spare). Loading one with a forklift is harder due to no side access long enough to fit 2400mm but that’s a problem shared with tub back utes. If however your plasterboard pallet is side accessible a van with barn doors (like you’d buy if pallets were a priority) will allow you load it in fine.

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

I bought a locker a while back, like the kind you would find in the employee room of a closing bed bath and beyond. It didn’t quite fit as expected so we ended up just tying the back hatch as closed as it could with a single rope and took back roads the whole way home. I don’t think we went above 20mph for fear of the damage this giant steel box would cause if it fell out. Also got a tetanus shot the next day because I managed to rip my hand on its rusted foot. Good times, I love that locker

• PineRune@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

I worked at home depot, and our manager made people sign a form before having a Hi-Lo load a pallet of floor tile into their truck because it would cause their suspension to bottom out. They’d do it, and drive off with zero leeway on their shocks.

We had one guy come in bragging about how his super-expensive hydraulic suspension could handle it. We loaded 2 pallets of tile into his truck bed. I bet he felt every little crack in the road driving to the job site.

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

You do feel every little bump and odds are your suspension will never be the same afterwords. But that’s why you do it with beater trucks and not anything you actually care about. My dad did the same thing except with landscaping blocks in an old salt truck he picked up for like $200. You can’t break a suspension that’s already broke.

Or that’s the theory anyways. In reality he wound up blowing the same rear tire 3 times on the trip home. Four times if you count the tire blowing again after the truck was parked. We kept having to pull over, dismount the tire, take it home, mount another used tire on the rim, take it back to the truck, and put it back on, and go until it blew again. Every time we had to do that I reminded him that I had told him before hand that he should bring the trailer.

• Omgpwnies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      46 minutes ago

Best part is, there’s a hitch on the back, so buddy has used it with a trailer, just not this time when it would have been the ideal solution

• Track_Shovel@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      12 hours ago

You all laugh, but one time I was young, dumb, and just did what people told me to do.

In this regard, I found myself pulling a grain auger on a much-too-small flat deck trailer. The trailer was maybe 10ft long by 6 ft wide, so we put one wheel of the grain auger on the deck, and one on the external tail light of the trailer which was relatively sturdy. ‘are you sure this is a good idea?’ ‘fuck it, she’ll go. Just go slow

So I start driving. No immediate problems. Turns out that going down a major, winding hill at the 100 km posted speed limit is not a good idea with an awkward load. It’s also a pretty interesting time to figure out that if you brake, you make the trailer sway worse. Hmm so speed up it is! Started at the top of the hill at about 90 km/hr and came out for it at about 120 km/hr. Lol.

And that’s just one of the times I shoulda died! Whee.

This is also why I mentor the fuck out of any junior I work with. too many stories like this.

• abbadon420@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 hours ago

I’ve also got a story of other people saying “it’ll be fine” while I should have been thinking for myself.

I used to be a garbage truck driver. I was sent to pick up a bin at some fishing club. It was at the end of a dead end road. I drove my truck to the end hoping there would be enough room to turn the truck around. Of course there wasn’t. That’s when I should’ve just decided to back out, but I didn’t. I asked the members of that club if the garbage truck usually turns around or backs out. They said “sure you can turn it on the grass, they do that all the time”.

So I started turning, one small moment later, I was stuck in the grass. My back wheels just kept slipping and digging in deeper. I putting gravel and wooden boards under the wheels, but nothing really worked. In the end we got like 6 of the fingers to push the truck (10.000+kg) out of the grass… and they fucking did it! It took a little back and forth, but we managed to get the truck out with teamwork.

It was a pretty stupid decision of mine, but I learned from it. It was 10 years ago, but I still remember it well,because it was just and awesome experience of teamwork and humanity.

• The_v@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 hours ago

I keep looking at it wondering … Why? The others are common. The truck, however took a little special reasoning.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        43 minutes ago

Because it’s photoshopped. Look at the strap going into the wheel well. Ignoring that it appears to stop before the edge, where is that going? Why is the car behind the wood stretched and blurred into it? Why is the side of the wood facing the camera in complete shadow unlike anything else in frame?

It’s reall just a very crunchy image. See elsewhere in thread for the better image of the truck

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 hour ago

The truck one is one of the only ones that I know is real cause I have seen that photo before.

Don’t know what level of compression they went through to make the photo look like that but it didn’t always.

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

Underestimating the bed rail loading. I’d love to make a Ford joke, but let’s be real, all truck beds would crumple like that.

• infinitevalence@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

Once again the minivan heavy portfolio pays.

*The damage to the drywall was like that from the store it was 75% off and being used to make some patches and fill a small renovation.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Not only did I haul drywall home in a minivan, I even had the foresight to buy a couple of 2x4s to act as rails to slide it on so the edges wouldn’t get chewed up by the rounded rear hatch opening.