• Evil_Shrubbery@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 小时前

At university a college pronounced ‘machine’ a bit like ‘ma-shayna’ (almost a bit Slavic? but totally on accident whatever it was). I loved it so much it stuck with me all these years, basically became headcanon.

• Evil_Shrubbery@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 小时前

Fuck, lol, well now I have to as well, since I was so committed.

Then again, I always pronounce whale-cum, cock-a-ccino, etc, what’s one more collage college.

• Mr. Satan@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 小时前

Just looking at the word I would definetly read ir as fugu.

Looking at the Wikipedia article, it says it’s pronounced fjug. Like what happened to the u and e.

• Rolivers
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 小时前

Look over there Charlie! It’s a magical leoplurodon!

• VinnyDaCat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 小时前

Pretty mainstream. When I was a kid most people struggled to learn how to laugh these things off. These days if you speak on any platform it’s a good idea to have some mispronunciations because it catches peoples attention. Even if it’s the only thing they’ll talk about as long as you’re good natured about it you’ve made progress.

• CH3DD4R_G0B-L1N@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 小时前

I don’t overreact to things I can tell are regional dialects and whatnot. But I recently watched a movie review where the guy pronounced linear as “li-nEAR” and I was the personification of the double take white guy meme. Never heard that one before. And he kept using it throughout, so, somehow, this 30ish year old man has never been corrected. I think everyone that knows him might be playing a cruel joke.

• Scipitie@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 小时前

On the one hand … “Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word. It means they learned it by reading.”

On the other hand… what else are friends there for?

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 小时前

We were playing some game (don’t even remember what) back in 2005 and I read a card that said Lebron James as “Lee-bron James”.

My wife will not let this go. It’s been almost a full 2 decades, but anytime Lebron is mentioned in any context whatsoever, my wife will give me that look like “haha Lee-bron. You moron.”

• Monument@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        15 小时前

I’m ruined on “Lee-“ anything. , because I think of Leeroy Jenkins. Now I’m just imagining Lebron just charging into every play with no strategy, shouting “Leeee-bron James!”

• Preacher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 小时前

One dnd session, the dm described the room as having flaming braziers. He pronounced them as “brassieres.”

We never let him forget.

• Grabthar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 小时前

Oh my DM really leaned into that one. Had us searching for a golden brassiere as part of a ritual we needed to perform. We ended up picking up a rumour that the captain of the guard wears one, so on to the seduction attempt to go find out what she’s into and where she hangs out. Play through the whole bit, get the brassiere and then ask what we do next. Well, now we need to burn incense in the brassiere. Now everyone just looks at eachother completely confused. Then the guy sitting next to the DM suddenly perks up and asks to see the module we’re running for a sec. Tells the table it says brazier. Confusion dispelled and everyone laughing for days.

• Robust Mirror@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 小时前

The magic of the modern day means you can type “define” or “pronounce” then any word into Google and it’ll tell you how to say it. There’s also an absurd amount of YouTube pronunciation videos for basically every word that exists.

Not that there’s a problem asking, this is more advice for future words your friend doesn’t know. So you can help them. The dummy.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        19 小时前

The DM for Critical Role did that in one of the early episodes. I think that if you’re making a podcast, you should check your words for pronunciation.

• Gaspar@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 小时前

How are you going to bring up early CR Matthew Mercer without his most infamous pronunciation gaffe?

Sigil* as “siggle”. If I were at that table, I’d still be ribbing him about it (good-naturedly, of course).

^*SIJ-uhl

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 小时前

I learned chitin from playing Morrowind. Pronounced it like “chit in” (like in “chip”). But also my local dialect/accent tends to drop pronouncing t’s so it came out more like “chi’in”. To this day it’s an active effort to pronounce it correctly if I ever have to say it out loud

• fakeman_pretendname@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 小时前

Okay, so I’ve just realised I’ve been pronouncing this wrong.

So I’ve been pronouncing it “chit in”, probably as above - perhaps halfway between “chicken” and “shit in”.

Apparently it’s pronounced “kite in”.

Not that it’s a word that crops up too much, but I’ve almost certainly made other people say it wrong too :(

• fsxylo@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 小时前

I keep accidentally saying innuendo and having to apologize because they happen in inappropriate situations.

I just can’t help when it pops up.

• PennyRoyal@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 小时前

My friend once put the emphasis on the first syllable of pedantic, and correcting him was probably the single greatest joy I’ve ever felt